New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Refences to Inappropriate Topics off-site (specific religious and political)

Hey...

Just want to know if such activity is frowned upon...

Example 1:
    Discussing the film "The Hunt for Red October", would be ok to ask someone to google Cold War for the political background of the film?

Example 2:
    Asking for good sources on the topic.

-Canis Lupus

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Refences to Inappropriate Topics off-site (specific religious and political)

My hunch - and it's just a hunch - is that neither is OK. Both have the potential to bring the discussion into the thread itself (especially #2). So while your post itself may not be a rules violation, it's almost certain to lead to a violation somewhere down the line.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Refences to Inappropriate Topics off-site (specific religious and political)

Sheriff: One could discuss the film as long as they didn't discuss the political aspects of it. For example, discussions of its acting, cinematography, etc., would be fine unless the got political.

But everything else you suggest should be avoided if you want to stay on the right side of the Forum Rules.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex