New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Looking for lan games

Like the title said I'm looking for games that we can play on a lan. What we are looking for specifically are games that:

• Can be played without internet connections
    • Have bots
    • Can support a team of 5 players vs said bots
    • Lets us change the difficulty settings on the bots depending on how drunk we are
    • Preferably short enough rounds or missions that we can have plenty of shots over the evening (somewhere around 30-45 minutes is ideal)

Currently we play Warcraft 3 custom maps, battlefield 1942 and 2, Swat 4, Operation flashpoint, half life and its various mods and that's about it I think.

So any ideas?
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for lan games

Well, there's always the various Unreal Tournaments, which we have greatly enjoyed over the years, as well as all manner of Quakes.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Who's Ian?
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sins of a Solar Empire. All the way. Great game, great co-op and great bot capabilities.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Who's Ian?
    Some guy who's always hosting parties. I heard he's friends with General Failure.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Sins of a Solar Empire. All the way. Great game, great co-op and great bot capabilities.
    Not so good on the 30-40 minute round time though.

@pffh: How about Starcraft?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Team Fortress 2 comes to mind. Also is free.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I'm pretty sure Awsomenauts can fill all of these criteria, but i'm not sure about if you can play using LAN.Nevermind I checked and you can play using LAN
    Last edited by Gulddom; 2012-11-17 at 08:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Take a look at this list.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Soldat
    Counter Strike: Source
    Team Fortress 2
    Homeworld 2
    Starcraft: Brood War
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Unreal all the way; it was always the mindless go-to for LAN parties in college.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Our LAN favorites from back in the day are:

Warcraft III, which you've already said you guys play.
    Garry's Mod, which I'm assuming you are counting as a Half-Life mod.
    Titan Quest, personally, we like it more than Diablo III. It might not be better than Diablo II, but it's different. There's also now Torchlight II.

The rest of our games don't necessarily have bot support, but if they do, we usually don't use it even at a small LAN.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Tons of fun if you do Sabers Only and no Force Powers, but the game is still fun and a good bit different if you allow force powers and/or guns. The game has a nice rotational Dueling system which is a lot of fun and really intense, and even has a 2v1 dueling system. There's also free for alls, team battles, and bot support.

Rune - Less technically robust than JA in pretty much every aspect, but much more mindless and fun. A great game to boot up while people are getting set up, or during pizza breaks. People can jump in and out, smash eachother's skulls, respawn, and keep doing it. There are a bunch of weird game modes here, and some community patches add even more. There was this weard head-ball game where you tried to knock your opponent's heads into a goal or something... Super gory, super lightweight, and super fun. Great in-between choice. I don't remember there being bot support, but there may be.

Soldat is a surprisingly intense and strategic game once you get the hang of it. Give everyone jetpacks and knives and watch chaos unfold. Teams and bots supported.

Suicide Survival is similar to Rune in that everyone can pick the game up and start playing competently. It's so much more simple, though, and nevertheless gets super-duper intense. There are no bots, but four players can make a loud, rowdy good time. Just make sure you are the kind of people to talk smack as soon as you blow eachother up. (HL2 Mod)