New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World

Part 31: Home Sweet Home
    After an unfortunate incident with a summoner and his protectors, Cthulhu decides to visit R'lyeh and see who's been squating there since his absence.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32

Part 32: Return of the Heroes!
    In the heart of R'lyeh, Cthulhu and his companions encounter the same three adventurers that dared try to stop him when he first awoke and rose from the sea. Exactly the same.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33

Part 33: Finale
    Over thirty sessions of gaming come down to this. Who is the creature lurking in Cthulhu's domain? Will the Narrator allow a happy ending? And most important, can they defeat the Bonus Boss!?

Well, sixty days from when the first video was released, here is the last part of Cthulhu saves the world, my first LP. It's been a learning experience, and has certainly served the goal of getting me back into the habit of playing video games. I want to thank anyone who's taken the time to watch and comment on this, you've made this a whole lot of fun to do, and I'll probably be doing quite a few more LPs. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

To answer the question you asked yourself at the end of the video.. yes, you could have beat the Soulcaster's group earlier. The extra levels and top-end gear you got from the last dungeon didn't hurt, but the reason you got wasted so hard the first time was clicking through the turns so fast that you didn't seem to notice it was the Alchemist that was killing you until you were already dead (same thing you did with the big beetle-monsters, incidentally, not noticing they were smacking the entire party until it nearly killed you.) Rearranging the party and playing defensively would have worked just as well then- there is pretty much nothing in the game that will be able to kill you through Regen All + double Heal Alls. You might have had to spend more turns throwing Potions or having Sharpe or Cthulu Taunt, but you'd have gotten through it after you burnt down the Alchemist and got rid of his AoEs.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    To answer the question you asked yourself at the end of the video.. yes, you could have beat the Soulcaster's group earlier. The extra levels and top-end gear you got from the last dungeon didn't hurt, but the reason you got wasted so hard the first time was clicking through the turns so fast that you didn't seem to notice it was the Alchemist that was killing you until you were already dead (same thing you did with the big beetle-monsters, incidentally, not noticing they were smacking the entire party until it nearly killed you.) Rearranging the party and playing defensively would have worked just as well then- there is pretty much nothing in the game that will be able to kill you through Regen All + double Heal Alls. You might have had to spend more turns throwing Potions or having Sharpe or Cthulu Taunt, but you'd have gotten through it after you burnt down the Alchemist and got rid of his AoEs.
    Heh, I do have a nasty habit of clicking through things a bit too fast. :P

I suppose my thoughts when I faced them the first time was, that they were clearly an optional boss with no reward. There was no treasure chest in sight, the entire dungeon had been taunting you with no treasure. It seemed like one of those boss fights that were stronger than the final boss just as an extra challenge, so I didn't try again at the time (Though I think I wouldn't have been able to do it without two healers in the party either. My damage output got significantly higher, and it would've been difficult to overcome the soulcaster's healing, and the longer the fight goes, the harder the enemies hit and the less one healer is able to keep up. )

That being said, since there was a reward, it strikes me as weird that they made the fight a fair bit more difficult than the final boss. What is the point of becoming stronger after beating the hardest fight in the game afterall? I'd have much preferred the Azathoth fight as the optional one and these fellows as the final boss if that were the case. If there is a boss more difficult than the final boss, beating it should be it's own reward. (Unless there are even harder optional bosses after it).
    Spoiler
    Show