Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard II: Jealousy and Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    X-Com
    Numbers based difficulty and other fake difficulty increasers just wind me up. They can still be entertaining games, but I know my own responses well enough to know that I'm happier not giving that kind of thing a go.
    Ah, no don't take that the wrong way. The game is intended to kill you, but that's okay. Even if you lose a whole squad and fail a mission, the game doesn't end. If you're careful in the next couple missions, you can train up new people (and why did you take every veteran on a single plane and put all your eggs in one basket like that anyway?). Messing up means you lose a country or two, but who really needs South America anyway? You can beat the game while losing up to 9 countries, and at the end of the day, you only need 6 well-equipped soldiers, even though the barracks lets you have up to 99.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-14 at 08:42 PM.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Certain types of difficulty tend to wind me up to unreasonable levels. I get much more worked up than I am comfortable with.
    As far as X-Com goes, that means as unlikely as I am to try it anyway, Classic Mode is just that little bit less likely.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Certain types of difficulty tend to wind me up to unreasonable levels. I get much more worked up than I am comfortable with.
    As far as X-Com goes, that means as unlikely as I am to try it anyway, Classic Mode is just that little bit less likely.
    A lot of it is just manipulating the numbers. Have you played Final Fantasy Tactics or any of its variations? Those games are extremely similar, mechanically, to the new X-com. The big difference is that in X-com, the numbers are set up so that people are going to die, and the difficulty is balanced around some of your people dieing. Put your rookies in front. In Final Fantasy Tactics, they balanced the HP and gave out revival spells so that losing a character permanently is basically you making a mistake, though it can happen.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Tessen, what do you think about this?

Tessen: "Oh, I'm not worth your time. I'm sure whatever the abyss did to me is permanent. You don't need to waste your time on me. It's not really that bad. I mean, sure, at higher gnosis I'm going to be rolling a lot of paradox dice, but that's okay...really."
    Well that's only a little heartbreaking.

;_;

-

Has anyone noticed yet that technically, you've caused the earth to slightly fall into the sun? Might be getting a little carried away with the whole Phoenix motif, and the sword being an end an beginning. What I'm saying is five me time to resist thermonuclear immersion and be able to result a planet before dunking the whole of Gaia in the purifying light of Celeatia's embrace.

On forces:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insulate is about where I estimated Forces 2 to sit. I suspect it works for fire, too, and both of them serve to keep you from dying but don let you stad there like a chump.

Mechanically, the results are inferior to solid armor, because one can always buy a bulletproof vest (which reduces lethal to bashing) and armor of 3 reduces the chances of you even being hit whatsoever pretty drastically, until yogurt to professional murder. Until the dice escalate, it's an even run. Once the dice get up to a professional marksman dropping Life for Dex, maxed firearms and a sniper rifle for verging on 20 dice and Forces for automatic successes, armor will result in you dying, and downgrading lethal damage will result in you dying.

Using the graphs from a quick google search because I don't have the scratch paper to do it by hand,and*assuming any odds above 49.99% are successes, we can draw out a quick comparison with guns.

Against 4 dice, armor 2 results in a single lethal wound, Kevlar results in a single bashing, 1 mana.
    Against 6 dice, armor 2 results in a single lethal damage, Kevlar suffers 2 bashing, 1 mana.
    Against 8 dice, armor 2 results in 2 lethal, kevlar suffers 3 bashing and 1 mana. We are getting into supernatural territory at this point.
    Against 10 dice, armor 2 results in 3 lethal damage, Kevlar suffers 3 bashing and 1 mana.
    Against 12 dice, armor 2 suffers 3 lethal, Kevlar 4 bashing and 1 mana.

Armor seems to get the short end of the stick, and mana costs versus ease of increase are hazy. Tessen would deal with greatly reduced damage, say, but could also use both of these effects conjunctionally - she would suffer lesser damage of a lesser type, without issue.

Getting into 9-again (including shotguns, axes, exotic knives, and cotton balls thrown by disciples of Matter) we have;
    4 dice resulting in 1L v/ 1B.
    6 dice resulting in 1L v/ 2B.
    8 dice resulting in 2L v/ 3B.
    10 dice resulting in 3L v/ 4B.
    12 dice resulting in 4L v/ 4B.

For the hell of it, our hypothetical super sniper rolling 20 dice gives us 7+Forces increase L v/ 8+Forces increase bashing.

Okay, yeah. Reducing the damage is almost always worth it.

Heuristically, every two dots of armor results in about 1 less damage. Oddly, every three dots in a pool increase your average successes by 1.

Prime 2 uses a mana pool to protect against magic, death 2 against ghosts*. Forces 2 can upgrade bashing damage to lethal, matter 2 can grant a weapon the 9 again property, as can fate. It seems for this to be "balanced" it would need to be both expensive and vulgar, but I don't feel it's necessarily out of line with what that level can achieve.

For reference, converting lethal to bashing on a 1-1 basis per success is a free albeit vulgar canon effect at Forces 3.
    "No malice. No remorse."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Has anyone noticed yet that technically, you've caused the earth to slightly fall into the sun? Might be getting a little carried away with the whole Phoenix motif, and the sword being an end an beginning. What I'm saying is five me time to resist thermonuclear immersion and be able to result a planet before dunking the whole of Gaia in the purifying light of Celeatia's embrace.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Liar.

Besides, if this is an issue, we will just grab the goddamn concept of gravity and metaphorically choke it until it, metaphorically, decides to do what we want.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

I have no current inputs to make, you're on your own until you talk to a NPC or make your way to the meeting with Slade.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

It's a pretty safe bet that plunging the earth into the sun is not "Just According to Keikaku", least of all for Jack. I'm also pretty sure that if David Bowie was a mage, it would probably not be part of his plan, either.

But now I've got the idea of an evil Jack stuck in my head. Not according to Keikaku, but an intruiging thought excersize perhaps.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, well my plan for stuff was to give Deadly a chance to post wrap-up stuff, and then wake Turing for his meeting. Probably going to get on that with tomorrow's post.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

I'm paging Jack at the moment for the Kurosawa thing. Tessen wants to visit him in the morning before her meeting, and wants Jack to come.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

If you'd like a real life example of an Awakened society you could do a lot worse than looking at Theosophy. Similarly, their seal is a singularity of occult meaning.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-14 at 11:17 PM.
    To improve is to change

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, where might Turing be able to find someone who could teach him Life Sight as a rote?

The discussion about raising Arcana reminded me that I have some magical investigations for him to conduct (angling for Death 4), but it'll be easier with a rote vision spell or two, and maybe a dot in Prime...

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

[string of intense expletives] Remould IS A WORD DAMN YOUR EYES IT IS! I DON'T CARE IF OTHER PEOPLE DON'T USE IT

Liar.

Besides, if this is an issue, we will just grab the goddamn concept of gravity and metaphorically choke it until it, metaphorically, decides to do what we want.
    "Metaphorically".

-

The work on the Theosophy symbolism is lazy, new age and slapdash an everything I dislike about such things.

Could I get that as a Magical Tool for Areta if I ever revive him?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-10-14 at 11:54 PM.
    "No malice. No remorse."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Hmm, where might Turing be able to find someone who could teach him Life Sight as a rote?
    Errant or Rushaw would probably be your best bets.

The discussion about raising Arcana reminded me that I have some magical investigations for him to conduct (angling for Death 4), but it'll be easier with a rote vision spell or two, and maybe a dot in Prime...
    Yeah, to go from 3 to 4 you need to study something where Death is Patterned. A visit to the Underworld, a serial killer's sanctum, a trial where a Judge hands down a death sentence... You basically need to find some event in the world where there's an example of what you're trying to do.

As a comparison, my rule is that nobody gets to be Forces 5 without witnessing a nuclear explosion, going into space, or seeing a major hurricane or earthquake.

EDIT: Death 5 would involve something like visiting a site of a genocide, or seeing the annexation of a nation.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-15 at 12:01 AM.
    To improve is to change

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

What do you need for prime 4-5?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

"Metaphorically".
    Or if we had a Thyrsus, we could incarnate its Spirit and do all that literally...

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Errant or Rushaw would probably be your best bets.
    Hmm, I'll have to remember to bring it up the next time Turing is around her. Or possibly Rushaw, whichever happens first.

I have a little magical sifting project in mind involving mapping correlations between Arcana around the city, paying particular attention to Arcana Turing understands well, and ones he sees as their complements. Thus Death/Life and Matter/Prime, plus a bunch of other combinations too for secondary info...

Yeah, to go from 3 to 4 you need to study something where Death is Patterned. A visit to the Underworld, a serial killer's sanctum, a trial where a Judge hands down a death sentence... You basically need to find some event in the world where there's an example of what you're trying to do.

As a comparison, my rule is that nobody gets to be Forces 5 without witnessing a nuclear explosion, going into space, or seeing a major hurricane or earthquake.

EDIT: Death 5 would involve something like visiting a site of a genocide, or seeing the annexation of a nation.
    Ah, cool, this is helpful!

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

What do you need for prime 4-5?
    Any sort of direct contact with the Supernal; a powerful artifact, research into Archmastery, major ley line geoengineering, contact with a Supernal entity, visiting an Atlantean ruin. Anything really High Magic.
    To improve is to change

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Prerequisites of Mastery: A Full List

In order to attain Mastery over an Arcanum you must witness either an act of Making or Unmaking performed by the world; i.e. not by another Mage. This phenomena must be studied and observed without interference by the Mage; direct alterations to it other than observation negate it's learning value. A Mage can set the thing in motion or cause it to happen, but any attempt to guide it or avert the consequences complicate things. Here are some examples.

Death: An act of genocide, the annexation of a nation, a resurrection, meeting Death herself.

Fate: The rise or collapse of a superpower, a thousand monkeys in a room with typewriters, seeing a True Fae break an oath.

Life: The release of bioweapons, cloning an extinct species, creation of a Frankenstein's Monster

Forces: A nuclear explosion, travel into space, a major natural disaster, watch the LHC in action

Matter: Burn a world famous piece of artwork, draw Excalibur from your own chest, see the world's largest skyscraper being built.

Mind: Artificial Intelligence, seeding a new social meme or genre, witnessing brain death, destroying someone's Astral Realm

Prime: Direct contact with a higher being, major ley line geoengineering, acts of High Magic

Space: Meeting with a long lost sibling, circumnavigating the globe on foot, completely leave your old life and all connections behind.

Spirit: Meeting an Incarnae, eating a soul, seeing a huge section of the Shadow ossify into a Barren

Time: Investigating your ancient family history, becoming your own grandfather, looking into the heart of a TARDIS
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-15 at 12:53 AM.
    To improve is to change

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

...So, My Little Pony was the work of a Master-level mind mage?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

...So, My Little Pony was the work of a Master-level mind mage?
    Oh, I think ponies are way bigger than that. I tend to regard it as a fallen fragment of the Supernal, a self-generating font of new mana. Core messages in the show tend to be applicable and reflected in the magical world.

This was actually a hidden sub-theme of the Perfect Arrow. There was a plot thread where the player characters needed to gather/create people who represented Courage, Loyalty, Honesty, Serenity and Compassion and unite them together to face down Loki, the God of Chaos. I phrased it all in prophetic voice and garbled the language and the players didn't catch on that they were playing through a nightmarish version of The Return of Harmony.
    To improve is to change

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Prerequisites of Mastery: A Full List

In order to attain Mastery over an Arcanum you must witness either an act of Making or Unmaking performed by the world; i.e. not by another Mage. This phenomena must be studied and observed without interference by the Mage; direct alterations to it other than observation negate it's learning value. A Mage can set the thing in motion or cause it to happen, but any attempt to guide it or avert the consequences complicate things. Here are some examples.

Death: An act of genocide, the annexation of a nation, a resurrection, meeting Death herself.

Fate: The rise or collapse of a superpower, a thousand monkeys in a room with typewriters, seeing a True Fae break an oath.

Life: The release of bioweapons, cloning an extinct species, creation of a Frankenstein's Monster

Forces: A nuclear explosion, travel into space, a major natural disaster, watch the LHC in action

Matter: Burn a world famous piece of artwork, draw Excalibur from your own chest, see the world's largest skyscraper being built.

Mind: Artificial Intelligence, seeding a new social meme or genre, witnessing brain death, destroying someone's Astral Realm

Prime: Direct contact with a higher being, major ley line geoengineering, acts of High Magic

Space: Meeting with a long lost sibling, circumnavigating the globe on foot, completely leave your old life and all connections behind.

Spirit: Meeting an Incarnae, eating a soul, seeing a huge section of the Shadow ossify into a Barren

Time: Investigating your ancient family history, becoming your own grandfather, looking into the heart of a TARDIS
    Cool. Two of those are part of my own personal experiments.

Oh, I think ponies are way bigger than that. I tend to regard it as a fallen fragment of the Supernal, a self-generating font of new mana. Core messages in the show tend to be applicable and reflected in the magical world.

This was actually a hidden sub-theme of the Perfect Arrow. There was a plot thread where the player characters needed to gather/create people who represented Courage, Loyalty, Honesty, Serenity and Compassion and unite them together to face down Loki, the God of Chaos. I phrased it all in prophetic voice and garbled the language and the players didn't catch on that they were playing through a nightmarish version of The Return of Harmony.
    Gah, Damn it!
    "No malice. No remorse."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Cool. Two of those are part of my own personal experiments.
    I'll assume it's not the soul eating thing.

Gah, Damn it!
    Tifa was Serenity. Loyalty was a werewolf created by throwing a thousand dogs in a hole and filling it with concrete as part of a ritual sacrifice. Courage was a vampire mass murderer. Compassion was a dude making a serious bid to become the Spirit of Japan. There was no Honesty; it was up to the players to create it somehow.

Magic was a big old temple bell they sold to the Seers in exchange for having them whack a mafia don.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-15 at 03:08 AM.
    To improve is to change

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

So, if I timed it right I could theoretically hit rank 5 in all three at the same time by seeing the entire New-World-Order of the Seers fall apart (due to my own machinations and lots of running down corridors) and then leaving the planet to explore all of time and space in my magical blue box?

I wonder how much Matter Magic I'd need to build my own Tardis. I've got the bigger-on-the-inside sorted already, the time travel and the mysteriously ending up where it's most needed...

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Um, raising Gnosis from 1 to 2 costs 2x8 dots, not 8 dots, right? Or am I reading this wrong?

deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Um, raising Gnosis from 1 to 2 costs 2x8 dots, not 8 dots, right? Or am I reading this wrong?
    Yes. 16xp total.
    To improve is to change

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amun
    Dear Princess Celestia

Today I learned that I ought to be a little bit crazier ... Oh wait, no, that was my player. I really wish I could shake that guy off, did you know? *shakes fist at sky* I'm not a number your puppet! I'm a free real boy man! Stop that!

Ahem! So what did I learn? I learned that you can totally do more than you expect, and sometimes just following your intuition and doing what comes natural ain't so bad. Hell, we just changed the orbit of the whole god damned planet and fixed time and space like nopony's business. Take that, Universe! Amun 1, Reality 0!

Alright, so we don't exactly know how or why, maybe someone or something else had a hoof in it, because I don't think it was supposed to go like that. Maybe it'll come back to bite us, so we need to get to the bottom of what we actually did. But if we can do this sort of thing just by randomly dealing with a minor manifestation, just think what we can achieve once we actually know what we intend to do?

So, yes, that sky up there? Ain't the limit!

Yours
    Amun-Ra
    Alright, Amun has 13 XP and 9 Arcane, then. I'm going to raise Time to 2, costing 12 XP, if that's alright. So 1 XP and 9 Arcane left. I think our messing with the world's time is something that might have inspired Amun a little in that direction.

Sorry for my slowness, I'll go write an IC post now.

Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

...the Doctor is a valid thing to include in Mage?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Alright, Amun has 13 XP and 9 Arcane, then. I'm going to raise Time to 2, costing 12 XP, if that's alright. So 1 XP and 9 Arcane left. I think our messing with the world's time is something that might have inspired Amun a little in that direction.

Sorry for my slowness, I'll go write an IC post now.
    If gnosis is a priority toucan combine arcane and regular XP for it. Burn all your arcane and then 7 regular for Gnosis 2.
    "No malice. No remorse."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

If gnosis is a priority toucan combine arcane and regular XP for it. Burn all your arcane and then 7 regular for Gnosis 2.
    I know, but I think I'll stick with Time. It seems like the thing to raise after we just changed the calendar

Besides, at this pace I can probably raise gnosis in a day anyway.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Aye, gnosis is pretty inexorable, unless Thanqol goes in for the optional arcanum allowance of arcane experience. I'm not sure is go in for gnosis with any character unless it's specifically part of their concept.
    "No malice. No remorse."