Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard II: Jealousy and Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Here's one to twist your melon.
    Did it retcon the calender, or did it restore it.

Well, probably not, but you never know.

So to recap - The abyssal manifestation shouldn't have been abyssally manifesting as and when and where it was due to lack of awakened-ness involved in the event/location or so.
    Fixing it shouldn't have had any effect on the calender, either, but somehow managed to retcon/restore (Delete as appropriate) the earth's orbit to exactly 360 days.
    Correct-o-mondo. Full moon is now on the 15th of the month, every month, as an added bonus.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

It's all so much tidier now. I can only approve of this, really.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    No, man, this is beyond what a hundred points of mana in one place can do. Time itself reconfigured. The earth's orbit is now 360 days exactly.

What the hell, man.
    Ah. Ok.

Then my original first guess was correct...

So where are the Archmasters/Exarchs that now want our blood?

They should have just let us design the universe.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-10-11 at 11:50 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Ah. Ok.

Then my first guess was correct...

So where are the Archmasters/Exarchs that now want our blood?
    Turns out that tinfoil really does make you immune to Imperial Workings. Who knew?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Crack Theory Sharing Time!
    Whatever crazy thing they were doing that broke Detroit, actually broke Detroit and the rest of the Fallen World quite a bit. There always were 360 days in a year until there wasn't any more and never had been. Pouring a dose of mana into the dragon lines and fixing the resonance mended a tiny portion of the massive damage done, and now there were always 360 days in a year again because we've brought the cracks in the fallen world back together on that particular issue.

Few other people realise the cracks extend so far beyond Detroit.

Alternate Crack Theory!

The world is and has been broken as well as fallen for some time. Detroit is a fracture, a network of breaks and stress lines and thin material. It is a symptom of the world's damage, rather than being simply a portion of the world that has been damaged. Things that happen in detroit have the potential for massively more powerful reactions from the world because it is pulled tight here, tense and precarious.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Alternate Crack Theory!

The world is and has been broken as well as fallen for some time. Detroit is a fracture, a network of breaks and stress lines and thin material. It is a symptom of the world's damage, rather than being simply a portion of the world that has been damaged. Things that happen in detroit have the potential for massively more powerful reactions from the world because it is pulled tight here, tense and precarious.
    You know, if this is right, I am suddenly contemplating what that would mean for Turing whose Awakening was basically: Congratulations on being the Moros kinda-avatar of the Moros city!

It's not reassuring somehow...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Physician, heal thyself.
    That's what it'd mean?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Physician, heal thyself.
    That's what it'd mean?
    Hmm, that's actually a lot more positive than my thought of "heal cracks, vanish away into nothingness". Although somehow I suspect that even if I was thinking in the right direction there, there would be more Abyss and madness involved.

In any case I've gotta say I'm loving it. I mean, in the course of two days or so we've gotten into some sort of clandestine possibly-flip operation with the Throne and reconfigured Earth's orbit. Not bad for a half-week.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Was... Wa that a moon pun?

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfate View Post
    Devils! Stop binding SiuiS' pony!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, that's actually a lot more positive than my thought of "heal cracks, vanish away into nothingness". Although somehow I suspect that even if I was thinking in the right direction there, there would be more Abyss and madness involved.

In any case I've gotta say I'm loving it. I mean, in the course of two days or so we've gotten into some sort of clandestine possibly-flip operation with the Throne and reconfigured Earth's orbit. Not bad for a half-week.
    It's starting to remind me of the (stalled) Exalted game I'm in.
    Except not at all, because the campaign and it's storyteller are quite frankly deranged.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Was... Wa that a moon pun?
    No.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-10-12 at 12:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

You know, on second thought, this is nothing at all like that campaign. That campaign is deranged.
    What do you want from me? You're, like, three days in.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

To reach the level of derangement that the GM in question almost always reaches you'd have to be secretly crossovering the world of darkness with, I don't know, Gurren Lagann or something.

He's basically incapable of running an existing setting without subverting it as wildly as possible. [edit] Actually, this goes for his PC's too, when he plays. His 4e Warlock spent the whole campaign melee-basic-attacking people.

During the Exalted campaign which I can barely begin to explain, (and which lasted like half a dozen sessions tops, mind), we learned that the exalted setting was created using Culture-Style technology, presumably by people in the future of the regular WoD. The Unconquored Sun had been fired ages ago and is actually a regular jobless godling in heaven and three people, including an office worker and a policewoman effectively have admin-rights to creation.

In his dark heresy campaign we were given access to replicator technology in a self aware culture/star-trek style ship and were secretly being sponsored by alternate universe Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus, from a universe where Horus was the good guy and Sanguinious fell to chaos. Oh, and they were pretty sure my Psyker was a reincarnation/clone/something of Horus too.
    Just some highlights.

What do I want, Thanqol? Just keep doing what you're doing. It's nice only to have to question if the world has gone mad, rather than the Storyteller.

[edits] Actually, the most surprising thing about him of late is that his Deathwatch game has yet to turn into a slice-of-life murder-mystery.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-10-12 at 12:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

To reach the level of derangement that the GM in question almost always reaches you'd have to be secretly crossovering the world of darkness with, I don't know, Gurren Lagann or something.

He's basically incapable of running an existing setting without subverting it as wildly as possible. [edit] Actually, this goes for his PC's too, when he plays. His 4e Warlock spent the whole campaign melee-basic-attacking people.

During the Exalted campaign which I can barely begin to explain, (and which lasted like half a dozen sessions tops, mind), we learned that the exalted setting was created using Culture-Style technology, presumably by people in the future of the regular WoD. The Unconquored Sun had been fired ages ago and is actually a regular jobless godling in heaven and three people, including an office worker and a policewoman effectively have admin-rights to creation.

In his dark heresy campaign we were given access to replicator technology in a self aware culture/star-trek style ship and were secretly being sponsored by alternate universe Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus, from a universe where Horus was the good guy and Sanguinious fell to chaos. Oh, and they were pretty sure my Psyker was a reincarnation/clone/something of Horus too.
    Just some highlights.
    I have done some similar things, but I have always gone to great lengths to make sure that it fit with the tone of the setting in question. For instance, when my Rogue Trader team found a broken teleporter that kept conjuring clones of them, they quickly realised that they had only one soul that was being stretched out over 9 or so bodies and they would die if they didn't start murdering themselves.

Just to muddy the moral waters some more, they were Clone Group #4 - and Clone Group #2 had gotten the 'murder all replicants' idea first.

What made that session for me was the exchange,

"Why don't we just blow up the teleporter, stop it creating clones?"
    "Are you stupid? Do you have any idea how much money that thing is worth?"

Themes are important.

What do I want, Thanqol? Just keep doing what you're doing. It's nice only to have to question if the world has gone mad, rather than the Storyteller.
    Everything in this game is internally consistent. The world isn't mad, you're just ignorant.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

I wanna try out Rogue Trader so bad, you don't even know.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

I have done some similar things, but I have always gone to great lengths to make sure that it fit with the tone of the setting in question. For instance, when my Rogue Trader team found a broken teleporter that kept conjuring clones of them, they quickly realised that they had only one soul that was being stretched out over 9 or so bodies and they would die if they didn't start murdering themselves.

Just to muddy the moral waters some more, they were Clone Group #4 - and Clone Group #2 had gotten the 'murder all replicants' idea first.

What made that session for me was the exchange,

Themes are important.
    It's nice having themes be important for a change.
    Sounds like a cool game, too.

The replicator and accompanying ship worked perfectly. I think I ended up asking for and receiving Power Armour in the end, once we figured this out, because why not? I think it came out mastercraft or something. To be fair, I think he deliberately set out to murder the theme of dark heresy. That practically was the theme. The Deathwatch game is using the same continuity and setting, and I'm the only player with prior experience of it.
    Which does make sessions more amusing than they otherwise might be.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

I wanna try out Rogue Trader so bad, you don't even know.
    It's a great game, but I wouldn't run it A) Online (it benefits greatly from miniatures) or B) With a straight face. Rogue Trader is the brilliant ray of bright colour on the grimdark black on black of the 40K universe. The type that looks back at all that and says, "God-Emperor we're tossers".

And more than just making a simple statement, the game then encourages you to go nuts exploiting the nonsensical 40K setting for your own profit. Have you ever wanted to dogfight with 1940's-era biplanes in the reactor room of your own spaceship? Go big game hunting for Orks? Launch an orbital strike to avenge a petty grievance?

Like I told my GM, "You call them insanity points, I call them my score."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-12 at 01:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

I still think it's important to point out this is but one (perfectly valid) way of interpreting the game.
    After all, Rogue Trader doesn't call them your score.

edit - And I prefer to Bi-Plane Dog-Fight in someone elses reactor room, incase of exploding anything overly valuable.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-10-12 at 01:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I still think it's important to point out this is but one (perfectly valid) way of interpreting the game.
    After all, Rogue Trader doesn't call them your score.
    I can think of few things that bore me more than the idea of the 40K universe played straight.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

It's a great game, but I wouldn't run it A) Online (it benefits greatly from miniatures) or B) With a straight face. Rogue Trader is the brilliant ray of bright colour on the grimdark black on black of the 40K universe. The type that looks back at all that and says, "God-Emperor we're tossers".

And more than just making a simple statement, the game then encourages you to go nuts exploiting the nonsensical 40K setting for your own profit. Have you ever wanted to dogfight with 1940's-era biplanes in the reactor room of your own spaceship? Go big game hunting for Orks? Launch an orbital strike to avenge a petty grievance?

This is pretty much why I want to try it. My meatspace friend shares your views on 40k, so maybe I can talk him into it...

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Everything in this game is internally consistent. The world isn't mad, you're just ignorant.
    Dang. Way to give it to me straight, doc.

That reminds me. I'm doing that email pseudomage game. Based on direction, he got picked up by n amateur guardian of the veil who awoke to the movie Men In Black, and has asked his way into getting history of Atlantis. And then he asked "how do you handle this 'Abyss'?"

Uh.

Launch an orbital strike to avenge a petty grievance?
    I've had my fill, thanks.

Now that sounds like the sort of tabletop I'm used to.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Dang. Way to give it to me straight, doc.

That reminds me. I'm doing that email pseudomage game. Based on direction, he got picked up by n amateur guardian of the veil who awoke to the movie Men In Black, and has asked his way into getting history of Atlantis. And then he asked "how do you handle this 'Abyss'?"

Uh.
    You know that the Men in Black have a prison on the moon for Abyssal manifestations, right?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

You know that the Men in Black have a prison on the moon for Abyssal manifestations, right?
    Actually, yes. I picked that up probably from you somewhere.
    My nod was at internal consistency being hard when I can't even tell you the meaningful differences between guardians and mysterium without thinking about whatshername. Errant. One hides knowledge, the other puts done things.

I cheated and said his department was more prevention and recon, but as an example he knew about this one freaky prayer plate from a fellow Guardian over in Detroit... Steal the hay out of it!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Would that be three days in the new calendar or the old one?

Not just us though, apparently like everyone ever in every organization except the people who aren't that you can't really tell apart from the people who are ignorant. Man, this setting is fun.

Oh, I saw that movie on the last plane flight I took. It was totally hilarious and they did some awesome time magic.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, yes. I picked that up probably from you somewhere.
    My nod was at internal consistency being hard when I can't even tell you the meaningful differences between guardians and mysterium without thinking about whatshername. Errant. One hides knowledge, the other puts done things.

I cheated and said his department was more prevention and recon, but as an example he knew about this one freaky prayer plate from a fellow Guardian over in Detroit... Steal the hay out of it!
    Yeah, the big divide between the Mysterium and the Guardians is "Put it in a secure box in case we need it later" verses "Put it in the sun".

Would that be three days in the new calendar or the old one?
    Three days is still three days; human life expectancy measured in years is a little bit longer because years are a little bit shorter, biology still functions at the same rate it used to. Things are just neater now.

Not just us though, apparently like everyone ever in every organization except the people who aren't that you can't really tell apart from the people who are ignorant. Man, this setting is fun.
    Everyone has a little tiny fragment of the truth which they jealously hoard against all others.

Oh, I saw that movie on the last plane flight I took. It was totally hilarious and they did some awesome time magic.
    Some brilliant Guardian of the Veil working in PR made that series and somehow made an unaccountable government conspiracy that hoards knowledge, brainwashes civilians and oppresses the masses the protagonists.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh man, this is going to come back and bite us.

deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Oh man, this is going to come back and bite us.
    Sure, this might be true. But, now we can measure the year in radians. I suggest a holiday on pi, pi/2, and 3pi/2
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-12 at 08:39 AM.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Pie Day? I can get behind that.

28. - Top - End - #268

Sure, this might be true. But, now we can measure the year in radians. I suggest a holiday on pi, pi/2, and 3pi/2
    Pie Day? I can get behind that.
    Surely you mean tau

But yes, Amun approves of this

Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Surely you mean tau

But yes, Amun approves of this
    I never mean Tau.
    Unless you're asking what 40k faction I'd like to kill off the most.

30. - Top - End - #270

I never mean Tau.
    Unless you're asking what 40k faction I'd like to kill off the most.
    I am utterly ignorant of 40k

But seriously, pi is probably a Seer conspiracy or something, man! Pi's meant to keep our mathematics from reaching the full height of beauty and elegance.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-10-12 at 11:31 AM.