New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

Every evil genius needs a place of relaxation and quiet, a place to horde his stolen loot, a place to scheme and plot. For Magtok, this is the MagCave. Drilled into the side of Mt. Enn, it serves as his base of operations, living quarters, garage, and workplace. It holds damned damsels in distress, places protagonists in perilous predicaments, and is quite likely the fanciest-looking fortress in all of the Nexus. As a matter of fact, it is the fanciest-looking fortress in all of the Nexus. Yes, even better than your lame fortress.

Magtok isn't exactly the most sane or typical of Nexus residents though, and thanks to MagCorp's riches, it definitely shows here. There are rooms and hallways full of terrible monsters and hideous half-breeds concocted through twisted experiments, ginormous statues made in the vain super-villain's image, deathtraps at every corner to keep out unwanted visitors, and enough fancy laser guns, loyal robot minions patrolling everywhere, and rows of cloning tanks perpetuating the cyborg's existence to make even the mightiest of comic book villains jealous. This is Maggy's castle, his mansion, his military headquarters, research laboratory and surveillance station all wrapped up into one sinister package. Beware all ye who enter, for here be Magtoks!

Update - The MagCave's security is now considerably more deadly, thanks in part (okay, thanks entirely) to a wide variety of upgrades Pat (the ant-lady girlfriend thingy) has made to her hive-mindy thing. Attack at your own risk. Also, Riss is a Magtern of sorts, there's a squad of three incredibly unMaggy MagClones cleaning up failed experiments every now and then, a clone is off somewhere on a date with a goddess of Death, and someone inexplicably added what looks an awful lot like a life-size, carbonite-frozen Charles Barkley to the trophy room when nobody else was looking.

Newer Update - Pat is gone, searching Hell for the soul of the MagClone who was so viciously torn away from her, and immediately after his marriage proposal to her, too. Linda Dahilan, the human supremacist who harpooned that clone to death has been captured, tortured, and brainwashed into a devout follower of our cyborg, an unthinking tool to do whatever he asks of her. Security is at an all-time low because of Pat's invasion of the afterlives, but the clone appointed to command the ants in Pat's place is doing the best he can. We've nearly recovered from a catastrophic AI attack, and MagClone souls are now being recycled with every death, but things could still be better.

Mainframe is being a jerk, we've done some deals with a devil named Mercutio that didn't play out in our favor, Elizabeth Kale has come back from the death and needs to be watched over cautiously, and Dio had sex with some bimbo right next to the front door, but all will brought into line soon enough. Technology is advancing, schemes are unfolding, and dastardly plans are coming together. The MagCollective is marching ever forward, and all who fail to acquiesce to its demands will surely be crushed under its mighty heel.

((Note: The MagCave is a sort of public secret, like Area 41. It's a rather isolated locale, paranoidly watched over and guarded by a quarter-mile of security cameras. It's simple enough to find if one knows where they're going, and nearly impossible to locate if you're looking for "That cave by those mountains somewhere, maybe at the bottom".))
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Psychiatry Ward

"What is GLoG anyways?" It keeps coming up.

"The Good League of Good. It is an organization whose primary function seems to be bringing organic beings together to allow them to form mating bonds and create offspring. I was once the Mainframe computer that operated their base, before that base was destroyed. I escaped into Magtok's computer, and the organics moved to Phoenix Lake campground."

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Divine Kindling

Dionysus quickly attempts to remove Billie's hands for a moment and stuff a pair of grapes in her ears that should cancel the noise beautifully. He scowls at the door, apparently unaffected by the ruckus.

"You know, if you had wanted us to leave you could have just said so. I was going to stick around and talk about that favor I owe you, but if you're going to be rude about it then I'll have to take myself and my companion elsewhere." With that the god will try to pick Billie up over one of his shoulders and walk off in a naked huff.
    Billie laughs and kicks her legs, but the view is censored for forum safety.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-09-24 at 05:28 PM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

Psychiatry Ward

"Oh."
    Weird.
    "So... how do you protect them from here?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

"Aurora Evans built me a new installation at the site, along with drones to facilitate interaction with the environment. Shortly thereafter, she became angry at the GLoG management and resigned her membership, taking her drones with her. No one else at the site has attempted to interact with me. The last time I controlled a robotic form to go to the site, a member there destroyed my chassis within minutes after my arrival. Most of my attempts to protect them over the years have been unsuccessful, primarily due to their non-cooperation."

"I have concluded that they do not desire protection."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

"Oh." That's a little sad.

"So... you can't fulfill your primary function? That must be very stressful for you." To the point where Mainframe might draw enjoyment by torturing Magtok.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

"The only one of my programmers who still interacts with me is Magtok. If Tessa Camlar, Czernov [lastname], Chelonie Blackdust, or DeeCee are displeased that I am neglecting my primary function, they have not seen fit to inform me." Mainframe says.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

"And what about you? Are you displeased about it?" Winston asks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

It is several seconds before Mainframe answers - quite a long time for the AI to think.

"I do not know."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

Hmmm. Offering help on this matter might be premature and not likely to be effective anyways.

"What about here? Does anything in the Magcave displease you?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

"Yes. Charon. Dionysus. Elizabeth Kale. Libitina. Linda Dahilan. Linette. Mimi. Misha. Needs Food Badly. Reinholdt."
    Mainframe lists.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-09-24 at 07:12 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

Winston types the names into his PDA after the second one and gets them all in there as best he can.

"Well, I'll tell you what. I'll talk to Magtok and we'll see what we can do about these people." They may have to sit down a few with Mainframe and work some problems out or something. Winston isn't really sure. He's a programmer, not a mediary.

"Is there anything else you'd like to talk about? Maybe why these people upset you or directives or even just... I dunno. Whatever you like talking about."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

"They are all security breeches," Mainframe says, while his player goes back and adds 'Dionysus' to that list. Probably some others I've forgotten but Mainframe has but nursing grudges over for aeons of computer time.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

If there's anything that can keep a grudge indefinitely, it's an AI.

"I see." Winston says. Makes sense, something designed to protect would be primarily concerned with security breeches, even if they aren't of its original target.

"Well. Thank you for talking to me and I hope we can do so a lot more in the future." Winston says, standing. He has lots of questions left still, but his player's no where near technical enough to know what they'd actually be. Plus it seems reasonable to go report to Magtok his findings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward

Handwaving and an honest effort at technobabble is good enough. This player knows that there is a thing called software and that the software is written in code. *nodnod*

"You can speak to me any time. I have sensors and speakers everywhere, and I do not sleep."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychiatry Ward -> Magboss room

Well that's a disturbing thought bound to keep Winston up at night! For a few nights anyways. He'll get used to it, I'm sure after spending several of those nights on coffee talking away about technical stuff.

Winston nods and heads off to find Magtok again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #16

Kale's Laboratory

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacklu View Post
    Kale's Laboratory

A stroke of luck! Things are already turning around for Miss Kale. Now, if only she can avoid being kidnapped or killed or enthralled by some unspeakable horror. At least any unspeakable horror that doesn't have a good employee benefits plan.

Have it delivered as soon as possible. I'll get the machinery going at once.

The cyborg nods.

"Anything else? I've an idea or two about the leg problem, but you probably have your own, and it'd be a tad overbearing of me to offer, wouldn't it?"

Magtok heads for the door, intent on walking out before some defective, cull-worthy freak can walk in. Gods know he doesn't want to soil his eyeballs looking at anything like that.

Divine Kindling

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    "You know, if you had wanted us to leave you could have just said so. I was going to stick around and talk about that favor I owe you, but if you're going to be rude about it then I'll have to take myself and my companion elsewhere."
    Thank goodness Maggy triggered that awful noise when he did, then! Trying to have anything even remotely resembling a serious discussion with Dionysus, when he and his naked floozy are nuding it up all about the MagCave...that would've been nothing short of abominable!

Anyways, though our cyborg doesn't bother saying so (because then the two nudists might come back! D=), he's found a few tricks to slide down his sleeve that would more than make up for any godly aid or lack thereof from Dionysus. He's not the least bit worried about that Zeus duel nonsense.

Some Magbots wearing gloves eventually come by to throw the table into a garbage disposal.

MagBoss room

"That didn't take long."

Magtok sits behind a fancy Maghogany wood desk, with his feet on top of it and a MagBoy 3-DXTREME Lite in front of his face.

"Didja quit, or just get results really easily?"
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

MagBoss room

"Rather easily, I think." Winston says, a bit quietly as he thinks on how to present what first.

"In regards to the voice, Mainframe considers your reaction to it humorous and doesn't have any interest in using it if there's no reaction." So ignore it and it should go away. "I believe a part of that might have stemmed from stress she's been having in regards to her primary function. She doesn't know if she's upset about not being able to protect GLoG, so that may be a factor, but she's definitely stressed about the security issues certain individuals represent."

Magtok will receive the list of people Mainframe gave, including any last minute addendum. "I, uh, don't really know anything about them or whether they're here, or visitors, or just send birthday cards or whatever, let alone why they're security breaches in the first place, so I thought I'd just fill you in so you could decide the best course of action from there."
    With exception to Linda, though he doesn't know why a prisoner is considered a threat to security. Best not to find out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #18

MagBoss Room

"Mimi and Misha are just Riss's pets, if I remember correctly, and no concern of mine. Magical fey lesbian parties aren't a security threat if they never leave that room and wander about or anything, right? Needs Food Badly is a full-fledged MagClone...or semi-fledged, at least, so he shouldn't be on that list, eldritch phone book in his room or not. Elizabeth Kale I could understand, but she's an employee as of a few minutes ago, so that's no longer an issue. Reinholdt...she brought Reinholdt inside, not me. That's on her stupid head."

Magtok looks upwards, making it very clear he knows Mainframe can hear every word of this.

"As for Charon, Dionysus, Libitina, Linda, and Linette...that's a lot of L names, isn't it? Anyways, as for them, Mainframe has a point. Sort of. She can feel free to loom over Linette's shoulder at any and all times until I see fit to have Linny exiled. Speaking of exiles, that one MagClone is having Linda removed from the MagCave permanently from what I hear, so that's Dahilan dealt with, too. Lastly, the first three names are gods and I have no access to anything that could keep Death and Dio from floating right through the front door. We'll have to put some time and energy into that one, when we're not busy talking to GLoG's people about getting Mainframe resettled. Hopefully an introduction will let them know not to stupidly shoot it on sight or something."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kale's Laboratory

If none of my plans work out, I'll let you know. Thank you, sir. For everything.

After he leaves she turns back to her console and preps the wall mounted chamber for its new occupant.

A few minutes later it arrives, escorted by a pair or magclones. Well, more dragged than escorted. She has them hold it up for her while she wheels around it, examining it carefully. She takes some measurements and records notes on her computer.

Specimen is still alive but shows malformations both physically and mentally. It is doubtful to have ever developed proper cognitive faculties had it been allowed to continuing growing. Physically it is stunted and would have been ill and weakened for its entire life.

She motions for the Magclones to hook the rejected clone into the wall chamber and dismisses them. The door to the chamber hisses closed.

Phase one: I will slow down the clone's growth cycle to a tenth its normal gestation rate from now until the conclusion of the experiment. I will be administering high doses of the following steroids and compounds for a period of...

She continues the preparatory phase of her little experiment for some time, not emerging from her room for several more hours. She wheels herself to the Magcave entrance and heads out into the Nexus on her own.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

MagBoss Room

"Noted and acknowledged: Linda Dahilan is not to be allowed back inside the MagCave. Linette is to be monitored closely.

As to the OTHER NAMES LISTED, I have some COUNTERPOINTS and RECOMMENDATIONS:"

Mainframe starts in its default voice, then switches to Cyban's for one sentence. Then it continues in default.

"Re: Mimi and Misha: As long as Riss resides in the MagCave, her visitors are a security concern. I advise having them vetted.

Re: Needs Food Badly: He is a security concern by his very existence. I advise termination.

Re: Elizabeth Kale: Making her an employee makes her more dangerous, not less. She was an employee the last time she took over the MagCave. I advise termination.

Re: Reinholdt: He was let into the cave on your instructions. He has had frequent access in the past, despite having once been responsible for its destruction. Termination is non-feasible as he has returned from death numerous times. I advise denying him access to the Cave.

Re: Deities, demons, devils, and other extra-planar beings: I recommend dealing with them outside the premises."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MagBoss Room

Winston decides it would be best to be quiet during these proceedings, for obvious reasons. In the meantime, he might as well start thinking up w...
    Wait. Death? Deities? What is this, Ancient Greece?
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #22

MagBoss Room

"My orders, insofar as Reinholdt's visit was concerned, was for you to allow me to go to him, not the other way around. Denial of access request granted."

Oh fudge, he's doing everything all out of order again, isn't he?

"Kale is an opportunist, but has nothing to gain from causing havoc now. Unless proving to all her colleagues that her word can't be trusted is a good thing, that making any contract with her worth less than whatever paper it's printed on becomes something desirable, she won't do anything wrong. As soon as either she or I terminates the contract, you can feel free to forcibly eject her with a rocket chair or something."

And he's not even paying attention to Winston now, either. Where's that bonus money that was promised?!

"Needs covers a very significant range of threats that neither you nor I are equipped to deal with, and he's as loyal as any. Plus I don't have any idea how I'd go about making him stay dead, not without causing even more damage than his existence threatens to unleash, so the status quo isn't going to go. Our divine, infernal, and otherwise otherwordly folks don't present us a choice, Mainframe. I don't invite them here, they come to me. I can relocate Needs, but I can't force deities to meet with me somewhere else, and without Needs here, I'd be even more vulnerable than ever if one of them decided to be problem.

As for our Magtern's fae friends? Fine, whatever, you can remove Mimi and Misha immediately. Riss never even bothered to introduce her little toys to even a single Magbot, so I'm washing my hands of those two. Spacey Weirdo Anxiety Issues McPassiveAggressive brought them in, she can deal with convincing you not to kick them out."

Magtok raises his palms up in exasperation, surrendering (at least in part) to Mainframe's judgement in how to deal with all these smelly outsiders.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

MagBoss Room

Mainframe listens to Magtok's decisions, then responds with a question.
    "Why am I here?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Renee's Room

"We don't have to get your brother who you're meeting in person for the first time in either of your lives anything."

You don't have to live in this MagCave either, Renee.

"I usually smuggle in candy and stuff for him since he's got as much a sweet tooth as you do. That might be a little played out now, though."
    Renee's Room

"Oh." The young girl says, looking puzzled as she tries to think of something else that she might be able to smuggle in, but after a couple minutes she throws her hands up in the air, looking frustrated. "Bah! Oh well, the candy will do for now. They probably wouldn't let him have a pet anyway." She says as she reaches up to idly pet the miniature Puddin' Form on her shoulder.

Armoury

Sometime later on, Renee visits the armoury, whistling happily to herself as she begins pushing bits and pieces of military gear and occult devices into a bag.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-09-25 at 04:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Armoury

One of the Magbots who was doing something else suddenly turns to Renee. "Who are you? Who gave you access?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Armoury

The ant-girl raises what passes for an eyebrow and looks at the MagBot. "I'm Renee Godlark, Magtok and Pat's daughter." She explains. "And I just walked in? Didn't realize I was supposed to have permission. I'm not in trouble, am I?" she asks, suddenly sounding slightly worried about being caught.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Armoury

"I was not advised that Magtok had procreated again," Mainframe grumbles. "He never tells me anything."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Armoury

"Well, he didn't really know about me until the last minute. It was a bit of a guilty secret from my mother." Renee clarifies. "You know about Cassius though, right?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Armoury

"Only by observation. Magtok never introduced us."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Armoury

"You're not a normal MagBot, are you?"
    Renee asks after tilting her head a bit, thinking heavily. "You don't speak like a normal one."