New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

[Outside the MagOffice]

Inside the box was... A robe. It looked extremely similar to the robes that Magtok famously wore save for the fact that it was colored a deeper plum and appeared to have a black shirt of very light if strangely smooth material included with it. The robe also had a pair of black hexagon resting where the cyborgs elbows would be along with another pair on the collar. Several more were on the back where they were positioned to be each point of a larger hexagon sans connecting lines. Each one of these strange additions seemed to be just slightly thicker than the surrounding fabric as well as being quite rigid as if they were hardpoints of a sort.

Underneath the robe and shirt was a final hexagonal shape with what seemed to be a removable wall cord and a letter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Letter
    Magtok:

You made mention that your high mortality rate and, while apparently viewed by others with a mindset of clones being expendable fodder, of the issues that it raises. Given that you appear to place a great deal of importaince on your outward appearence, I tried to create a design that would have the smallest visual impact while still providing benifits. These 'smartclothes' will hopefully meet your standards and at least aid in the problem of losing individuals.

The fabric is a combination of materials although the majority is carbon nanofiber. To spare you the finer details, in the event of a ballistic impact, the clothes will 'stiffen' as they absorb and ablate the shock. This should be effective defense against small arms fire and It should be able to absorb roughly two or three strikes from anti-material weaponry before breakdown occurs and performance is degraded. I would still expect some fractures or broken bones from this kind of strike, however, due to the energy involved.

Utilizing a similar methood, the clothes should also be able to protect against directed energ weapons to a degree. However, this should not be relied upon to hold up during extended exchanges as the buildup of heat will cause accelerated decay.

Also, having come across a recent event involving a harpoon in my research, the hexagonal devices that you see, functioing normally as sensors, power cells, and 'brain' of the clothes, also have a fourth trait which is the creation of a very brief inertial barrier to intercept these sorts of projectile as well as inhibiting a few melee strikes. Please note that the capacitors need some time to recharge each time this happens and so should be relied upon only against initial and surprise attacks.

Finally, aside from inhibiting the initial strike of a melee attack, the material is not able to protect against knives or other close weaponry to a significant degree. In light of this, the shirt in particular will secrete a thin, antibaterial sealing fluid at the wound site as well as tighening in the affected area to apply pressure and hopefully reduce bleeding.

To use the enclosed charging pad, simply place the garments on top of it so that the clothes will be able to continue operation on a daily basis. The operation time for the clothes is twenty-five hours but it is reccomended that they are recharged every sixteen hours due to dropoff of efficiency beyond that point. Charging the clothes requries two hours. Furthermore, the charge pad itself can build up a store of up to four seperate recharging sequences should you require to be more mobile or otherwise be unable to access a socket. This will take fourteen hours of being plugged in for this function to operate at maximum capacity.

In the event that the clothes are damaged or you wish to produce more, I have already included the schematics into your forge database for you to use as you deem worthy.

So, in accordance to the curious custom of this place:
    Happy Birthday Magtok

-Clarissa Heln-Gelter.

It was probably the most technically-minded birthday card that the cyborg would get this year.. Though it could have been worse. It could have just been a box full of socks.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

Entrance

Cassius kneels down next to Renee, holding her in his arms as he wipes the blood from her face. Anyone watching him will see that he's panicked and scared, but at least he seems to be holding himself together. After a moment, he closes his eyes and tries to connect to his sister mentally, prepared to share her pain if possible.

Ant-Chat
    Spoiler
    Show

IndiANTa Jones: Come on! Come on dammit! Renee, answer me!
    Professor MoriANTy: SKREEEEE!PAIN!FEAR!PAIN!DEATH!

Cassius stops the connection and sets his sister on the ground before staggering back, his head dizzy and nerves feeling like they're on fire. With a grunt, he stops the pain before looking down at the collapsed Renee sadly. "I...dad...She..." He stumbles through, shaking his head for a moment to collect himself. "She's going to need rest. I don't know how fast she'll recover." He admits, giving them all a pleading look, feeling like he's unable to do a thing.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Entrance

"Cass? Do we need to take her in to the base infirmary?"
    Missy asks, without looking away from Nora.

Meanwhile, Nora just got her ping answered.

Magtok may be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of uncontrolled data pouring into him as Nora's BrainPal attempts Integration. If it succeeds, Magtok is suddenly the recipient of Nora's complete life history - all one month of it. Mostly training and indoctrination, up to her being closed into her nanotech atmospheric entry bubble over Epsilon Athlea and having it open up over the Nexus. In addition to her memories and experiences, he also can feel her current emotions. Scared. Angry. Confused. But mostly scared.

In addition to the experiences and emotions, there is a stream of thought-communication being piped in at about ten times as fast as the more traditional telepathy that is actually expressed at the speed that most people speak. It's possible Magtok may not understand it, but since he communicates frequently with computers, he probably can.

::Are you Special Forces? What happened? How many more aliens are there?:: It's clear from her images that she thinks Cuddles was an alien attacking her only potential ally in this strange world - of course she shot it! Why is everyone suddenly so angry at her?

Firing Range

"I was awakened from hibernation to deal with a virus infestation, and since that awakening, I have been aware of my discontent. I believe I was discontented before then, but had not identified the sensation."
    Mainframe says to Riss.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-12-11 at 04:27 PM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Mainframe Design

Mainframe is better at experiencing emotions than interpreting them.

The Magbot returns to whatever duties it usually has, as the Mainframe identity has left it.
    Mainframe Design

Magtok doesn't seem to have anything to add here, so Winston goes on his way to work.

Now Winston's great at programming and good at efficiencies, but building a robot chassis from relative scratch is something rather new for him. Granted, his programming specialized in AI work and some in getting robot chassis to move and such, so it's not a completely new field. It'll just take a bit longer is all, probably even qualifying for time skip status, but this will take a couple of weeks, maybe even a month roughly.

He straight up trashes his first attempt, hopefully without Mainframe seeing, but Winston personally doubts that there's anywhere in here that Mainframe can't see. The second attempt goes better, though I personally can't attest for what it results in. There didn't seem to be any decided on compromise, so Winston just mashed all the ideas together and hoped for the best.

The core skeletal structure seems to follow the Meerkat in its poses and flexibility but it has a clearly synthetic skin that isn't fur, with various hidden sensors throughout. Right near the middle is a big old box with screens on all four of the horizontal sides, fully capable of displaying all of the smilies. Even .

Beyond that, there are six limbs. The rear pair are powerful feet designed somewhat like a rabbit's, but with much less hopping intended. The middle are indeed hands modeled like a chimp, for basic moving or tool use, but can slide into the arm and be replaced with wheels for when fast locomotion is needed, as there was mention of Mainframe being attacked before. Finally the top pair just end in generic hands. Well generic hands that each have ten fingers, with each of those capable of individually extending themselves to near tendril length, and have storage space for a number of small tools so as to perform a variety of different tasks at once.

The whole thing is about four and a half feet tall.

Winston hasn't given Mainframe access to it quite yet though, running a few last tests and diagnostics first.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-12-11 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #305

Entrance

"A minute please, Private. Processing..."

After Cassius sets her down, Magtok attempts to hold Renee close once more. Shoot, this is at least a dozen times uglier than expected. He feels nothing but guilt for that stupid, poorly-timed pithy remark, too. Best get her away from here, put some distance between herself and the incident, and keep her family close. Speaking of which...

"There's an infirmary here. Might be better than dragging her all the way off to Rem. Unless you have people with mind-collective psychology experience."

He glances towards Nora, still too much shocked and emotionally numb to conjure up any sort of hate, loathing, or disgust towards the reckless military drone. The massive info-dump he's spread out amongst the other clones hasn't helped matters, either. Too much going on, no time at all to stop and figure out what to do or why.

"Civilian. Actually, debatable. On this particular mountainside beyond reach of govt, I'm lord & sovereign. Seen plenty combat, too. Irrelevant, slow-talkers will explain who I am and what to think of me. I think of myself as a sort of jack of all trades, master of some.

You ever see Old Yeller? Antiquated Earth film worth watching. To try to put it in terms you might understand, you more or less just killed a Realborn child's largely harmless companion animal. Except they had this whole integration thing that you attempted going, so the both of them felt as if they'd died at once. She's Cassius's sister, and my daughter, if that wasn't already clear.

And everything is alien here. Human is just one of the more popular breeds of sapient life that gets trapped here. The only individuals stressing mankind over all else in this world are violent terrorists and bigots, blinded to the fact that humanity has already won, and is holding almost all the political power in the Nexus. You don't want to a member of their camp.

Fortunately for you, we have no shortage of morally justified things to hate and shoot at, though. Genuine, straight-out-of-the-fantasy-books vampires, undead, devils, demons, and more. The Nexus doesn't much care how hokey and ridiculous and fictional a thing might sound to you, y'see. It'll pluck a leprechaun right out from some weird magical dimension, sit him down in the capitol city, and force you to keep a straight face every time you pass him by on the streets. It's every bit as aggravating as it sounds."

It should be noted that while Magtok was more than willing to consume Nora's entire life story, he hasn't offered up even a minute of his own life in exchange. What a jerkface.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-12-12 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Entrance

Cassius bends down to scoop up Renee into his arms, his skin somewhat pale from the shock of what's happened. "I'll take her to the infirmary. Just...do what you want to Nora, but promise me she'll be alive." He adds, looking at his father and Missy with pleading eyes to make sure they knew he didn't want to the newcomer killed, even if he felt like she might deserve it at the moment.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Entrance

"I'll make sure of it, Cass," Missy says. No cross torturing will be happening to Nora with her here watching over things. Not that Missy knows about that episode.

Inside her head, Nora is digesting everything Magtok's said. He's repeated some of what Cassius had told her, but he's said it in her "native tongue", mind to mind speech instead of painfully slow Realborn noises, so it sinks in better.

::I've never seen a child before. Or a... companion animal?::
    Nora tells Magtok. The last phrase she is uncertain about, since there are many different definitions available in her BrainPal, from show horses to guide dogs to comical singing sidekicks. But luckily, Magtok has given her an assignment that might help.

She unpacks the movie "Old Yeller". She'll be watching it for the next 8.3 minutes if left uninterrupted. But if anyone speaks to her in the meantime, she'll pause the movie and interact.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #308

Entrance

Magtok nods to Cassius, not quite certain he'd be able to verbally guarantee Nora's safety with a straight face. Too many uncertainties here, an ugly mess of them all tangled up in knots. A few bear an uncanny resemblance to the whole Linda episode, and seeing as this is the only loyal clone aware of what happened with that, he's all the more determined to prevent it from happening a second time. He drops out of Nora's head, and immediately attempts to visit Missy's.

"Here. An abridged and annotated version of Nora's life story, which she abruptly dropped into my lap when I answered that ping. Also, everything I said to her as of the shooting. Excluding a group chat with you or a verbal one with Cassius or someone present, I'm not talking to her further. This is all probably just a tad excessive, but last thing I want to be is another MagClone having secret, friendly meetings with another ignorant psychopath responsible for hurting my family."
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-12-13 at 12:50 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

It'll probably be a few hours before Cassius decides to visit Nora in whatever room the pair give her, but eventually he enters, shutting the door behind him and leaning against it as he looks her over slowly. "What did I tell you before we came here?" He asks, his voice carefully neutral.

Renee's Room

Several ants wait next to her while she rests, showing Cassius' presence in the room even though he is physically elsewhere. Her brother got her out of the blood-stained uniform and into a set of bright pink pajamas, but other than that there wasn't much he could do for her.

If anyone is near by, they'll hear her begin to mumble rapidly and rustle in her unconscious state.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

Missy had gotten Nora into a room and spoken to her. Unlike Magtok, she kept all the communication verbal. Nora is a little better advised on the properties of the Nexus, and a little calmed down from before. Still scared, just not immediately scared.

When Cassius enters, she considers his question. He'd told her a lot of things, and she could recite back all of them, but she suspected that wasn't what he wanted from her. After replaying it all, she guesses at the answer. "You said not to use my Empee."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"Yes." Cassius says before giving a tired sigh. "What you shot and killed wasn't just a pet. Nor was it just the last gift my mother gave my sister before she vanished. Until that point in time, they were practically the same. Cuddles had been semi-intelligent, but still under Renee's direct control. She could feel what it felt, hear what it heard, and see what it saw." He tries to explain even though he figures Missy and Mags probably said it already. But even so, he had more he wanted to add.

"So in the end, you ended up shooting and quite seriously wounding my dear young sister. Now, while she can make a new Cuddles, she's been exposed to sensations I had wanted to keep from her for as long as possible thanks to you. When she recovers, I'll keep her from demanding anything from you, but that won't make things square.That's something you two will have to work out yourselves."
    He tells her before taking a chair and turning it around so he sits with his arms on the back.

"So, what do I do with you, Nora?"
    He asks, genuinely perplexed.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-12-13 at 03:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"She was integrated with it when it died. I know from my squad mates that is an unpleasant experience," Nora says. "I thought it was attacking you. I am sorry."

Missy stays quiet.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I know you are." Cassius says with a sigh before reaching up to rub his left temple to sooth his head. "There's a lot you need to learn here, but most importantly I want you to get some more self-restraint. Cuddles was probably one of the cuter things around here. Some of my mother's forms would likely cause most people to scream in terror, but she was quite friendly."

Missy might pick up on the past tense when Cassius begins speaking of Pat, but hopefully he hasn't given up hope about his mother's return. Not yet anyway.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I shot you because you looked inhuman. I shot your sister's companion animal because it appeared to be attacking you."
    Nora says. "How am I to judge if something is a threat if I cannot use its appearance or behaviour as a guide?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #315

Renee's Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Renee's Room

Several ants wait next to her while she rests, showing Cassius' presence in the room even though he is physically elsewhere. Her brother got her out of the blood-stained uniform and into a set of bright pink pajamas, but other than that there wasn't much he could do for her.

If anyone is near by, they'll hear her begin to mumble rapidly and rustle in her unconscious state.

Three different MagClones take notice. The first of them, AntMag, turns to nudge the others and let them know, only to realize those clones are already watching the very same thing unfold. The second of the three walks to the side of the room to open up a portal and pour Renee a glass of something for when she awakens, whereas the third glances at his wrist, noticing he's late for getting back to his post. He gives the young ant-girl's hand a squeeze, and waves to one of the ants belonging to Cassius, before walking out. He's stayed here long enough, and it was getting way too crowded in there with the other Magtoks, anyways.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-12-14 at 06:45 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Renee's Room

The hand-squeeze seems to calm Renee down, and right before the MagClone lets go, he'll feel her squeeze back weakly before she slowly opens her eyes. The light makes her slam them back shut and she whimpers. "Dads...my head really hurts." She croaks.

Nora's Room

"You don't."
    Cassius tells her grimly before his expression softens. "Not yet anyway. Once you've been here for a while you begin to pick up the ability to tell. We can give you a general crash course, but you have to be pretty open minded. There are things that look like angels that'd sooner kill you than talk and then there are things like Cuddles that are absolutely horrifying, but are utterly harmless. Mostly though, you'll have to learn how to judge each individual instead of an entire race."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I didn't! I judged it because it attacked you!" Nora snaps, angry that Cassius didn't seem to be listening to her. Didn't she just say that she hadn't shot the creature because of how it looked? "It wasn't even the ugliest person there! But it was the only one that was screaming and making an attack!"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"That scream was a scream of joy, and the worst it was going to do to me was drool on my uniform."
    Cassius says, trying to stay calm. "That's not to say Cuddles wasn't dangerous. It was capable of spitting a very strong acid. But it was trained much the same a large dog would be."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I know that now."
    Nora says. "I just wanted you to see that I wasn't judging based on appearances! So stop telling me not to do what I already wasn't doing and help me figure out what I should be doing!"

Nora's logic is sound, but it's delivered in such a petulant tone that it probably comes across as rather childish. Then again, she is a child.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"Like I said, we'll be able to give you a run-through of things here, but at the moment I'd like you to just try to relax and just calm down. Tomorrow, after we get a few meals between now and then, we can head on out and I can show you around." He offers. "We'll just be sure to leave the gun here."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

Nora's hands clench briefly, but she breathes deeply and relaxes them, setting them back on her knees. "Very well. May I have my combat knife back?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I'll get it for you before we go."
    Cassius says with a nod. "Is there anything you'd like to ask?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"Will I ever get home again?"
    Nora asks.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I don't know, Nora." Cassius says sadly. "Some people do, some don't. There's people that you can go and see to see if they can take you home somehow, but in general it's a hit-or-miss situation. There's a good chance you might end up in a different dimension as well."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

Nora is silent for several minutes, looking at her hands that are resting on her knees. The odd thing about her is how still she is. No fidgeting or restlessness. She could almost appear to be a statue, except for her breathing, and even that is so slow that it would be easy to miss.

Finally she looks up. "Then I live here now. Is there anyone I can integrate with? Do I always have to be alone?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

Cassius is silent for a long moment before he speaks again. "I could integrate you into my Hive if you wish. Only a partial integration through an implant. You wouldn't be able to control anything, but we'd be able to speak." He offers. "Either that, or we can find some other sort of implant that we can use, but I can't guarantee the safety of that. Choice is yours."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"Most people aren't integrated, Nora,"
    Missy says gently.

"Most Realborn, you mean. I'm not a Realborn!"

"I know you aren't. I just think it's too soon. You were integrated with your squad because you were all working together towards the same goals. But you won't have that with anyone here. You should learn to operate as an individual." Missy gives Cassius a warning glance. She doesn't think he should make a mental link to Nora simply because it's what Nora wants.

"But integrated troops are stronger than individuals! Everyone knows that!"
    Nora insists.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"Missy and I can attest that if you work with a group of people for long enough, you don't need any form of communication to be effective. If we hadn't learned that, I'm sure we'd both be dead by now." Cassius says, getting the hint. "And being reliant on a link like that is a bad thing. You now know what it's like to be alone, but what if it happened in the middle of combat instead of just your drop? As for the implAnt, the reason you might not want it is that you'd have to be under Renee's knife, figuratively anyway. She's better at it than I am."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Nora's Room

"I don't need an implant. I was born with a BrainPal!" Nora snaps.

Pretty much everything she says comes across as if she's about to loose her temper. Because she pretty much always is. Then again, most people cry and scream a lot when they're a month old, and at least this one doesn't poop her pants.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Room

"But we don't." Cassius tries to explain. "I haven't even heard of a brainpal before meeting you. My family's methods are mostly biological, not tech. If you're to link up with me or the rest of the hive, it would have to be through alternate means."