New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Australian Meetup, 8-9th Dec, Sydney NSW

Australian Meetup, Sat 8th to Sun 9th Dec, Sydney NSW

Where: Sydney (venue undecided)
    What: Meet each other! (activities undecided)
    When: 8th or 9th (primary day undecided), with extra days for the committed!
    Why: Because, meetup! (seriously, y'all should come)
    How: Any means necessary.

Who:

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty much definite:
    Rawhide [either or both days, depending on bed availability]
    loopy
    Roc Ness

Maybe:
    Elm11
    Red Rubber Band [Sunday only and maybe Saturday evening]
    Katana_Geldar (has a gaming event to attend, but I'd very much like to include everyone if possible - perhaps we can visit for an hour or so?)
    Klose_the_Sith

Unlikely:
    Agamid
    Dispozition
    Death, your friend the Reaper
    Serpentine
    Black_Pants_Guy
    Last edited by The Giant; 2014-03-28 at 06:22 PM.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: New South Welshmen?

Tsk tsk tsk Rawhide, you know we're not meant to have threads for specific places

I would LOVE to come to another meet-up. I'm hooked. If I'm at all able to make it, I will. Did you have anything specific in mind?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Tsk tsk tsk Rawhide, you know we're not meant to have threads for specific places

I would LOVE to come to another meet-up. I'm hooked. If I'm at all able to make it, I will. Did you have anything specific in mind?
    It's not a location thread, it's a meetup thread!

No idea. Don't even know specific dates or the best location. I won't actually be in Sydney, but a few hours south of it (should be able to make it to Sydney if that's where people want to meet, I think).

Plus, I have no idea of what there is to do in and around Sydney...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, if we wanted to go along the lines of the last Australian meet-up, there's Taronga Zoo and Luna Park...
    Or if we wanted more like the UK meet-ups, we just need a room and a stack of games.
    Or if we wanted to go the way of my recent family meet-up, we could get a place in the Blue Mountains and get in touch with nature.

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, if we wanted to go along the lines of the last Australian meet-up, there's Taronga Zoo and Luna Park...
    Or if we wanted more like the UK meet-ups, we just need a room and a stack of games.
    Or if we wanted to go the way of my recent family meet-up, we could get a place in the Blue Mountains and get in touch with nature.
    I do enjoy the Blue Mountains idea, but I'd really have to check out the costs. After getting all the way down there, I won't exactly have loose change to burn.

But, the real question would be if there will be any other playgrounders, or if it would just be us, sharing a hut in the Blue Mountains.

There's of course always the landmarks, as you suggest, or just gaming too. Is there anything else worthwhile that you can only experience in Sydney or greater NSW?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I do enjoy the Blue Mountains idea, but I'd really have to check out the costs. After getting all the way down there, I won't exactly have loose change to burn.
    It'll depend how many people we have to split it between. I was looking at it for the UK meet up, and at least over there it's surprisingly affordable to rent a cottage... if you have enough people. I don't know how it'd compare here. We'd also most likely want to rent a car again.
    But, the real question would be if there will be any other playgrounders, or if it would just be us, sharing a hut in the Blue Mountains.
    How romantic
    Might I suggest changing the thread title to something like "Australian Meet-Up #2" or somesuch? More likely to get interest, especially as last time people came from all the way over in Western Australia and just about everywhere else, not just Queensland.
    There's of course always the landmarks, as you suggest, or just gaming too. Is there anything else worthwhile that you can only experience in Sydney or greater NSW?
    Bush, Sydney Harbour and Opera House, Circular Quay, the Three Sisters... Dunno what else.
    Oooo. We should see if we can find this place I stayed at once in Barrington Tops. It was ridiculously fun, although as I was in primary school at the time I have absolutely no idea how much it cost, nor how much it would cost now - nor, for that matter, whether it's even still there.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, I wasn't intending for it to be a full blown meet-up, just a get together thingy. I don't even know when I will be available yet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Darling Harbour is good to wander around... Ooooh! You should totally go to the Powerhouse Museum

I actually did some research into the Blue Mountains a while back when a second Australasia meetup was suggested - it is, I'm sorry to say, quite expensive.

Not that I'd be coming... my sister is getting married December 15, so Peregrine and I will be in New Zealand. Well, I will at least, we're not sure when he's going to fly over yet... depends on when school finishes.

9. - Top - End - #9

Well, I wasn't intending for it to be a full blown meet-up, just a get together thingy. I don't even know when I will be available yet.
    Wellll... would it be bad if it was? I think something in the title indicating your intent could be helpful, though. But whatevs *shrug*

10. - Top - End - #10

Wellll... would it be bad if it was? I think something in the title indicating your intent could be helpful, though. But whatevs *shrug*
    I can add something about that. And it would only be bad in the sense that people can't be spontaneous/chop and change/etc. if they are from much further away. I don't even know when I will be available yet.

P.S. I did advertise it in the Australasia thread.

11. - Top - End - #11

Default Re: New South Welshmen? (Meetup in Dec)

This place seems reasonable, and might be the place I went to when I was little, although there's no horserides anymore if it is.
    (note: well aware it's highly unlikely we'd go there. Just throwing things out there for consideration)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm interested in coming, although I don't think I'd be able to make the blue mountains.

Put me down for the city area, assuming the date doesn't clash with school times.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #13

This place seems reasonable, and might be the place I went to when I was little, although there's no horserides anymore if it is.
    (note: well aware it's highly unlikely we'd go there. Just throwing things out there for consideration)
    That place looks surprisingly like the place I stayed at in the Blue Mountains (but definitely isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    I'm interested in coming, although I don't think I'd be able to make the blue mountains.

Put me down for the city area, assuming the date doesn't clash with school times.
    So, the weekend then? Or when does school term finish?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the weekend then? Or when does school term finish?
    Yeah, weekend preferably. School ends Friday 21st, which is much too late for Lady M.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Bore da, Welshmen!

Oh wait, you're fake Welsh people. >.>

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be interested but city sounds better than Blue Mountains. I like the idea of a gaming meet up and I can bring Paranoia.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Yeah, weekend preferably. School ends Friday 21st, which is much too late for Lady M.
    Actually, we're likely to be back home in Perth by then but we wouldn't be able to come either way, we're poor. (well, poor-ish)

18. - Top - End - #18

It won't be that late. If it's the weekend, it will be 8-9 or 15-16, but I may not be there for one, the other, or either. Dunno yet.

19. - Top - End - #19

So, if we're doing gaming, does anyone actually live in Sydney with a place large enough to fit several gamers around a table?

Looking much more likely to be the weekend of the 8-9.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New South Welshmen? (AUS Meetup in Dec)

What about Good Games in Burwood? They're nice and big, but I have no idea what they're like weekends.

Wait a sec, what am I thinking? Macquarie Con is on that weekend at Macquarie University. Why not make it there?
    Last edited by Katana_Geldar; 2012-09-28 at 09:52 AM.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'll try saving to come; hopefully Paizo doesn't release any more Pathfinder books.

If most, if not all, the members of last years meet-up are gonna be in town I'll be there with bells on.

After all, what would a AUSitp meet-up be without me?
    Last edited by SilverSheriff; 2012-09-29 at 07:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

It would be pantsless.

And that's terrible.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    What about Good Games in Burwood? They're nice and big, but I have no idea what they're like weekends.

Wait a sec, what am I thinking? Macquarie Con is on that weekend at Macquarie University. Why not make it there?
    At first I was like, CON??? But then I saw that it's really just a hall hire for people to game. I don't think 3 hours is really going to be enough for us. Heck, I was considering options for staying overnight in Sydney (anyone have a spare bed/couch/mattress/whatever?), so that we can get maximum gaming/activity time!

I'll be a few hours away, and others such as Serpentine and Black_Pants_Guy are even further away.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll possibly be in Canberra, so I might be interested in coming down to Sydney and putting up with its UNMITIGATED AWFULNESS if the chance of gaming with Playgrounders exists. File me under 'maybe'.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

25. - Top - End - #25

ElfPirate

It would be pantsless.

And that's terrible.
    That doesn't sound too bad.

26. - Top - End - #26

Default Re: Australian Meetup, 8-9th Dec, Sydney NSW

Ok, this is officially happening, whether you like it or not. I've changed the title in preparation.

I will be near enough to Sydney to attend on either the 8th or 9th of December and, if I can find a bed/couch/mattress/whatever to crash on, I will be able to attend both days.

Let's start discussing what day(s) we want to do this on, what activities we'd like to do (see stuff? game? etc?), and where we'd like to do it. Also, we need to start making a list of definites and maybes.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'll be definitely coming, unless I can't. I know, not very helpful But I simply have no idea where I'll be by then - Hell, I just now applied for a job in Cockburn*, WA!
    Assuming I do go, I'll have somewhere to stay myself, but won't be able to offer a bed to anyone else (and honestly, if I can I'd prefer to stay with other Playgrounders).

*tee hee

28. - Top - End - #28

ElfPirate

But I simply have no idea where I'll be by then - Hell, I just now applied for a job in Cockburn*, WA!
    You should try applying for something near Brisbane, that way you can hang out with Agamid and I, it'd be cool to have more playgrounders in town.
    Last edited by SilverSheriff; 2012-09-30 at 09:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

I've applied for a few up that way. I'll probably try bugging Gold Coast libraries directly soon, seeing as I've worked for them before, but seeing as I've worked for them before I figure I should check my info on my resume about my time there is right before I do so...

30. - Top - End - #30

Honestly, I could probably get you a job in a library near here. I know a guy who knows a guy*. But you're probably fed up with library jobs.

*Ok, it's a lot more direct than that, and also female.