New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default How useful is a DM Screen?

I was thinking about getting a DM screen, but I was wondering how useful DMs actually find the info on them.

I've also given some thought to making my own, but I'd be curious what info people truly find useful on a DM screen and what info really doesn't need to be there that presently is on official DM screens.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
    Dakaran
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How useful is a DM Screen?

I mostly use mine to fudge rolls.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes I forget exactly what all the different status ailments mean. Does Dazed give CA? How about Weakened? Its all right there.

That's the biggest thing I look at, also having my maps right there but hidden from prying eyes is nice.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

When I did face-to-face gaming for LFR I used mine a lot for hiding my notes and prepared minis. Having a quick look-up for a whole bunch of conditions/DCs/stadnard values was also useful, but not as important as well-written notes out of the player's LoS.

I did all my rolling out in the open, which is a strong personal preference.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've never used a screen.

And if I did, I would just grab a binder or something; it's not worth paying money for a piece of colorful cardboard that re-states the most used tables from the PHB. Those are the first things you know by heart as a DM anyway, so as a lookup they're lacking in value. $.02
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I use mine for mostly improve like appropriate Level DCs, Status Conditions I didn't jot down and to just hide my rolls. Most of my notes are just on my computer so I don't have to hide them back their very often
    Last edited by DrBurr; 2012-09-25 at 01:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    And if I did, I would just grab a binder or something; it's not worth paying money for a piece of colorful cardboard that re-states the most used tables from the PHB. Those are the first things you know by heart as a DM anyway, so as a lookup they're lacking in value. $.02
    One difference between a good orator and a great one is that the latter knows better than to rely on memory. No matter how many times your players call for a knowledge check, it's unlikely that you'll be able to recite the DC for every easy through hard DC check for five or more levels. You probably have other priorities for your memory than that.

Now if you're handy with crafts, I'll admit that one of the best things you can do is make your own screen. It's certainly cheaper, if that's a concern, and it can be tailored to organize things according to your personal preferences and house rules.

There are advantages to colourful laminated cardboard over a binder. It tends to balance a bit better for one thing. It also gives the impression that you are committed to the task of DMing in ways that the makeshift use of a binder does not. It's a handy place for sticky notes. You can also use it for a wet erase markerboard, which can be handy for quick notes or reminders.

That said, I typically forget to check my screen, mainly because I tend to spend the night running a game on my feet. Out of sight, out of mind, you know? Still, crouching is easier than finding the right page whenever there's a rule call, and it helps me contain my notes, dice, and counters so they're not spilling out all over player space. It's also a good refresher board before your game, sort of the pre-test cheat sheet, if you will.

If enough of that would be useful to you, it's worth the cost.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    No matter how many times your players call for a knowledge check, it's unlikely that you'll be able to recite the DC for every easy through hard DC check for five or more levels. You probably have other priorities for your memory than that.
    It's a function. DCs are ~5 + ½ level for Easy, then +5 for each level of difficulty on top.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I use it to play without a battlemap and still keep track of positioning.