Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    A friend of mine is leaving the country, and he gave me one of his old computers to tinker with. Now I'm no expert when it comes to PC's, so I'm turning to the playground for help.

    The computer starts, but it gets stuck on the "No keyboard detected" error. Now, I don't know if the slot near the long printer slot is a ps/2 port for the keyboard or for a mouse. I plugged the keyboard there but it seems to not work. Would the other port that is a bit higher be a port for an older keyboard model ?
    Spoiler
    Show


    The graphics card is not installed, but it has a port that connects directly to the motherboard. And those two slots that are above it, I have no idea what they are used for.

    Spoiler
    Show


    This is how it looks on the inside. It's a mess of cables. Also, it has only three RAM slots.

    Spoiler
    Show


    The front has a counter that displays something. I remember seeing it on old computers, but have no idea what it tracks.

    Spoiler
    Show


    And a couple more pictures that show some info about the motherboard and the power source.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show


    I have no idea what OS it has installed on it (if any), plus it came with two extra hard drives and RAMs, so curiosity is eating away. Hope someone can help
    Last edited by Bayar; 2012-09-25 at 06:37 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    What do you want to do and how doesn't it work?
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-09-25 at 07:12 AM.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    I want to start it up and see what/if kind of OS it has, what it has on the hard drives, what kind of components it has, but the problem is it does not detect the keyboard on bootup, so it sits there telling me to hit F1 to continue.

    I removed the battery on the motherboard and hope that resetting it will do the charm.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Archonic Energy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Refugee of Aiur
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    A friend of mine is leaving the country, and he gave me one of his old computers to tinker with. Now I'm no expert when it comes to PC's, so I'm turning to the playground for help.

    The computer starts, but it gets stuck on the "No keyboard detected" error. Now, I don't know if the slot near the long printer slot is a ps/2 port for the keyboard or for a mouse. I plugged the keyboard there but it seems to not work. Would the other port that is a bit higher be a port for an older keyboard model ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    that's not a PS/2 port... it predates PS/2...
    there used to be PS/2 to mini-din adapters... i'm not sure they do them any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    The graphics card is not installed, but it has a port that connects directly to the motherboard. And those two slots that are above it, I have no idea what they are used for.

    Spoiler
    Show
    monitor goes in the one at the bottom. the others are 9 pin & 25 pin serial for joysticks and mice and such...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    The front has a counter that displays something. I remember seeing it on old computers, but have no idea what it tracks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    clock speed... *places large bet on 133*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    And a couple more pictures that show some info about the motherboard and the power source.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show


    I have no idea what OS it has installed on it (if any), plus it came with two extra hard drives and RAMs, so curiosity is eating away. Hope someone can help
    *places bet on Win 95*
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2012-09-25 at 07:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

    i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Turns out that that strange big hole is indeed a keyboard connection. Which indicates that this computer is ancient. Since it has a PS/2 connection as well, it must have been made after 1987.

    My guess would be that the computer is from about 1990, probably runs with Windows 3.

    Edit: Oh wait, it says it on the side: 1996. So yeah, Windows 95 would be likely.

    And of course it doesn't have a graphic card. Graphic cards as we know them today were only invented that year.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-09-25 at 07:20 AM.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Keeping it Simple in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Hmm, with something old, I have to ask, do you want to make this a learning experiment, and do you mind spending a few bucks?

    If so, there is an excellent resource I would recommend: Upgrading and Repairing PCs.

    You won't even need the latest edition (in fact, I'm not sure if the latest edition keeps all the old stuff or if it abridges or drops it, so an older edition may be more useful).

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    clock speed... *places large bet on 133*
    166 actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Hmm, with something old, I have to ask, do you want to make this a learning experiment, and do you mind spending a few bucks?

    If so, there is an excellent resource I would recommend: Upgrading and Repairing PCs.

    You won't even need the latest edition (in fact, I'm not sure if the latest edition keeps all the old stuff or if it abridges or drops it, so an older edition may be more useful).
    Not really, but it's good to know what to look for later on.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    If you would want to opgrade that thing, maybe the case could be reused. But I'm not sure if modern mainboards fit into it.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GeekGirl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    A friend of mine is leaving the country, and he gave me one of his old computers to tinker with. Now I'm no expert when it comes to PC's, so I'm turning to the playground for help.

    The computer starts, but it gets stuck on the "No keyboard detected" error. Now, I don't know if the slot near the long printer slot is a ps/2 port for the keyboard or for a mouse. I plugged the keyboard there but it seems to not work. Would the other port that is a bit higher be a port for an older keyboard model ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That looks like a PS/1 slot. you may be able to find an adapter.

    The graphics card is not installed, but it has a port that connects directly to the motherboard. And those two slots that are above it, I have no idea what they are used for.

    Spoiler
    Show
    From top to bottom, you have a Serial port on the audio card. Some old audio devices hooked up inputs that way.

    I would guess an old printer port, though its not parallel.

    Last in your video card.

    The front has a counter that displays something. I remember seeing it on old computers, but have no idea what it tracks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like a old Pentium 2 (or older) system, unless its a newer system in an old case, but thats what those displays did. That display told you the clock speed of the processor. the Old turbo button was a manual overclock.
    You could possibly rig it up to show you the core temp
    Member of the Green crusade

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    I don't think there was any such thing as a PS/1 slot. What he has there is a 5-pin DIN socket, and the last time keyboards that used *those* connectors were manufactured was a good 15 years ago. Buying anything that's going to fit this thing will be an exercise in patience (and probably eBay ), and it's got considerably less horsepower than a modern mobile phone.

    Speaking personally, I'd be inclined to consign this to the dustbin of history where it belongs--most of the stuff you'd learn by getting it working would be irrelevant to a modern PC anyway.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think there was any such thing as a PS/1 slot. What he has there is a 5-pin DIN socket, and the last time keyboards that used *those* connectors were manufactured was a good 15 years ago. Buying anything that's going to fit this thing will be an exercise in patience (and probably eBay ), and it's got considerably less horsepower than a modern mobile phone.

    Speaking personally, I'd be inclined to consign this to the dustbin of history where it belongs--most of the stuff you'd learn by getting it working would be irrelevant to a modern PC anyway.
    Actually, my university had some of those keyboards around, might obtain one in a week or so.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Story Time's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Old Computer In Need of Ressurrection (Big Pictures)

    I love relics.

    I also want to see what the computer progresses to. I'll bet Windows 98 ( First Edition? Second Edition? ) as an operating system.

    Don't worry. There are still businesses that manufacture random access memory and other parts for a computer like that. But most have to be contacted directly for custom orders and shipping.

    Are there any other plans for it beside turning it on? Word processor? Network node? Hub?
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-09-27 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Punctuation

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Honestly, I haven't thought of that. If it turned out it was busted, i'd just stripped parts from it to use later on (like building a laser). But for now, I'll try and dig through it's hard drives and identify it's components before deciding. The fact it came with spare components (graphics card, two hard drives and two RAMs) gives me the option of setting it up as a gaming platform for all those old games that won't run properly without massive headaches on new devices (or, in the case of Soul Reaver, without buying it again from GOG).

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    Finally found a 5 pin keyboard. Can't believe it was slated for the crusher. Anyway, plugged it in, the computer booted up, it has Windows 98 installed, but there is a problem. Seems that the hard drive is missing a file, msanalog.vxd, so unless I find my old windows 98 cd stashed somewhere inside an old cd driver box OR get a hold of a working floppy disk and boot up another computer that has a floppy drive, it won't start completely.

    Thankfully, this issue seems to be a common one and it should not be anything more than an annoyance.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Story Time's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Old computer in need of ressurrection (big pictures)

    ...an Internet search page should be able to return web sites that serve as repositories for such files. I'd advise caution and use the more reputable ones, but a single file like that should not be a problem. The searches should also be able to determine where it goes.

    At any rate, I am happy for Bayar. Thank you for the up-date!


    Also: Yay! I was right! Windows 98!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •