Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 19 extra years of life

I wanted to reply to this thread with an adaptation of the rifleman's creed.. but I give up..also, it would sound rather crass and not a little creepy.

but..hell no, I'm having too much fun with them, thankyouverymuch.
    a triple cheer for Wojiz, for making me my very own Avatar...
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Proud founder of the Vetinari Fanclub
    Spoiler
    Show

with many thanks to Avi for the siggatar

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

If you asked my 15-year old self and if this data were accurate, I would've definitely answered "Yes". Bloody hormones get in the way of intellectual activity, after all, and don't really produce anything of value, while extra years of life are more time to do something worthwhile such as come up with a cure for cancer or some such.

Since then I've developed an acceptance and even understood the need for irrationality too, and and I've seen enough to realize that I'll probably only want to live for about a 100 years and then I'll welcome a rest. And what my 15-yo. self didn't understand, I find sexuality isn't all that worthless after all. So at this point I'd say "Thanks, but no thanks".
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-10-02 at 07:13 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    Tier System For Classes & Why Each Class Is In Its Tier - Obligatory Reads Before Balance Discussions

My apologies if I leave a discussion unfinished. Feel free to PM me anything.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhailangelo View Post
    Indeed - Better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep
    Sheep are awesome. Quit picking on teh sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Succubus gets grongratulatory cookies from me. You have stepped into the realm of puns that only the likes of Death, Your Friend the Reaper have seen.

Posting schedule likely to be erratic for the next few weeks - sorting out some personal stuff.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    A problem could be that out of 351 eunuchs they could only identify the life-span of 81 leaving room for bias regarding exceptional cases or that eunuchs dying young didn't get properly recorded in those texts. They unfortunately just failed to mention why the others weren't included.
    According to the supplemental information, it's to do how the Koreans used to record dates. Since they apparently used a 60 year cycle (so 1700 and 1761 are both 'year 1'), they could only work out the lifespan of the eunuch if the King and their ruling year was also recorded.

Using the example given, Yoon-Muk Lee was born in the seventeenth year of King Young-Jo's reign (AD 1741) and died in the sixteenth year of King Soon-Jo's reign (AD 1816). As I understand it, it would normally be recorded as 'b. year 41, d. year 56', if at all.

The other groups apparently have far more deaths of young members in the family (except the Seo family which also had a low sample-size), when did they start to castrate boys to count them as enuchs? Did some even die of the procedure?
    As I understand it, the other groups were contemporary men of similar social and economic status to function as a control group, thus highlighting the effects of castration.

Judging from the age ranges, I think infant mortality and deaths from the procedure are also included in the data set.

I'd like some more general discussion of the source of the data, which might be in supplementary, but the link leads to a discussion about social conformity and signalling in cortex (or somesuch).

It might be interesting if they can get some more data (and are allowed to write a bit longer about it), but to me there are too many question marks floating around at the moment.
    Well the abstract with all available information I can find is here: Link.

The main source was the geneology record, the Yang-Se-Gye-Bo, and information from there was cross referenced with the Annals of the Chosun Dynasty (Korean) and the Diary of the Royal Secretariat (Korean).

Apparently the former is a daily account on national affair and state activities (and runs to 1893 volumes), while the latter is a daily diary of the King's public life and interaction with the bureaucracy (3245 volumes).

I agree that there's quite a few question marks, but the team have said they'd like to look at the records of eunuchs of the Chinese and the Ottoman empires to see if the same longevity also crops up.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-10-02 at 07:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Y'know, maybe the eunuchs just lived longer because they were getting better food or something. While not stressing out over women (or men) certainly couldn't hurt in terms of health benefits, it might well have had more to do with their social status.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Y'know, maybe the eunuchs just lived longer because they were getting better food or something.
    Already accounted for in the research (they were compared to other palace bound males of the royal family, including the kings). The eunuchs still lived longer, unless you're implying that the eunuchs somehow got better treatment than the royal family.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

The supplementary material fleshed it out better (really, they should have put that in the paper instead). Thanks for the link.
    Avatar is trying to give a visual representation of my role in the WW/Mafia game "Typical Werewolf".

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

I'm in my mid-twenties, willing to give one nut.

How many years do I get?

Is there a chart I can look at somewhere?

Please help me in my pursuit of longevity and testicular asymmetry.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-02 at 12:52 PM.