Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 154
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Waaaughs don't grow spontaneously, though - their 'growth' is by attracting more warbands and smaller Waaaughs are reinforcements. Individual Orks might become bigger and stronger in response to the fight, but their numbers won't multiple appreciably without additional forces. The Ork life cycle is actually rather slow in regards to growing new orks from spores, and likely much slower than the time it takes to gestate a Zerg larvae into a new combat organism. If the two sides are calling in outside reinforcements in that manner, the Orks are going to get flattened under the weight of the entire Swarm, and if it's limited to on-planet attrition, the Zerg can replace their casualties faster than the Orks can.
    Well it depends on whether you go by fluff, or in game.

    By both in game mechanics, Orks and Zerg grow within seconds, the difference being that in the game mechanics Orks spawn in entire squads already ready to go.

    If we go by fluff, both takes weeks to months to grow at any appreciable rate with orkish true regeneration coming in at the yearly period.

    Zerg, from gestating their new brood, and Orks from drawing in more Orks from the WAAAAAAAAGH! and their spore replenishment.

    In raw man of the line durability? I gotta give it to the Orks, a lack of definable anatomy, extreme endurance, and physical strength exceeding that of Terran Marines (Just going by the higher end lifting and resisting feats documented in fluff. An armored Terran Marine's lifting capacity caps out of the tonnage range, whereas a Space Marine can physically lift a Lemann Russ armored given proper leverage, and the equivalency of Orks to Space Marines in most physical attributes.)

    However, they lack all the decidedly "killy bits" as default to compare to anything more than a Zergling naked.

    I'd hazard that an Ork equipped with a shootah could easily compare to a Stim'd marine though, with the slightly lower rate of fire being compensated for in raw explosive force, and a big shootah going even further than that.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  2. - Top - End - #32
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    For firepower, sure, but the difference in relative accuracy is going to go heavily against the Ork in that comparison - his bullet weight and rate of fire might equal the stimmed Marine, but in terms of rounds-on-target he's going to be far behind, so overall offensive effectiveness will take a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    For firepower, sure, but the difference in relative accuracy is going to go heavily against the Ork in that comparison - his bullet weight and rate of fire might equal the stimmed Marine, but in terms of rounds-on-target he's going to be far behind, so overall offensive effectiveness will take a hit.
    Well, that and the problem with hyper sonic spikes is that they are designed for penetration, in most cinematics they simply go THROUGH the zerg, causing no lasting internal damage to creatures with minor regeneration.

    A round that nests itself inside the creature and then explodes only needs 1 hit to kill, and that's what the difference would be between a marine and an ork.

    That, and the ork isn't made out of paper.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If the two sides are calling in outside reinforcements in that manner, the Orks are going to get flattened under the weight of the entire Swarm, and if it's limited to on-planet attrition, the Zerg can replace their casualties faster than the Orks can.
    Can they? Where are they getting the biomass to do so? The biggest argument I have seen so far is that they will eat their dead/the Ork dead, but that just means that the Orks need to continuously advance. As long as the Orks don't allow the Zerg time to feed, they are locked into a 0 sum game. In such a scenario the Orks would win because they rapidly get stronger as they fight, and would have the bodies of their brethren to eat (they are made of the exact same substance as their food). The opposite is true of course, all the Zerg need to do is win battles to recover. So the wars outcome is based around whoever wins the majority of the early battles, and I would give that to the Orks.

    Orks are by and large tougher than Zerg and they can recover from any wound (as long as they win the battle and can get themselves stitched back together). They have mechs which can be repaired via repainting them, and magic guns that don't need real ammo (the fluff says that many Ork bolters are nothing more than a box of metal with nails inside, which means you don't need complex manufacturing to reload them).

    Invading groups almost always have the upper hand in the beginning due to concentration of force, which means that the Orks have the advantage in the pivotal early battles. If they win the early engagements they have removed the biomass that drives the Zerg, strengthened the psychic energies of their Waaagh!, and gained in physical size and strength.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    The Zerg, to my knowledge, do not eat. They convert raw materials directly into the creep that sustains them.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2012-09-27 at 09:05 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Orks are by and large tougher than Zerg and they can recover from any wound (as long as they win the battle and can get themselves stitched back together). They have mechs which can be repaired via repainting them, and magic guns that don't need real ammo (the fluff says that many Ork bolters are nothing more than a box of metal with nails inside, which means you don't need complex manufacturing to reload them).
    Though those bolters would shoot nails, not bolt shells, unless the latest version of the Orks changed how WAAAUGH power acts radically. As I always understood it, Orks believing something works or is true can become so by collective psychic power if enough Orks believe this is true, but that has its limitations. For example, guns need bullets, and what you put into the gun is what comes out when you shoot it - every Ork knows these simple things. One Ork might think that he can load nails and shoot explosive bullets, but his reality is going to lose against the reality of the rest of his species. WAAAAUGH power is one of those things that tends to be exaggerated beyond what canon actually depicts it as; Ork machinery does work, it's just extremely crude and tends to explode/malfunction/backfire for any non-Ork by simple virtue of the Ork's faith that it will work properly.

    An Ork's gun won't jam, though, because Orks don't consider the possibility that'll happen, and their bullets will hit faster and harder than they should, or explode disproportionately to their payload, again because that's what Orks believe bullets will do. A particularly massive WAAAAUGH might get shootas that fire more bullets than they're actually loaded with, as long as they are being reloaded - the Ork knows his gun needs bullets and that he does have to put more in every so often, but can't be bothered to count how many he's actually dumping into the ammo hopper.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    The Zerg, to my knowledge, do not eat. They covert raw materials directly into the creep that sustains them.
    This, too. The Zerg don't need to actually win the battle, they just need to spread Creep out over the battlefield after they win or lose. Unless the Orks happen to have a brainstorm and use flamers to beat back the Creep (and roast their own dead in the process), anything left on the field will get re-absorbed and re-purposed.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-09-27 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Samurai Casino
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This, too. The Zerg don't need to actually win the battle, they just need to spread Creep out over the battlefield after they win or lose. Unless the Orks happen to have a brainstorm and use flamers to beat back the Creep (and roast their own dead in the process), anything left on the field will get re-absorbed and re-purposed.
    Creep requires structures to promulgate it though, and so the zerg would need to go around the lines or manage to have the orks completely ignore their structures.

    I guess really it depends upon the savviness of whatever is controlling the zerg on Tarsonis.

    I guess this is the era before brood mothers but after Zerg Queens started getting more autonomy/control?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Creep requires structures to promulgate it though, and so the zerg would need to go around the lines or manage to have the orks completely ignore their structures.

    I guess really it depends upon the savviness of whatever is controlling the zerg on Tarsonis.

    I guess this is the era before brood mothers but after Zerg Queens started getting more autonomy/control?
    Creep tumors? I guess their 'stealth' might be just being big blobs of creep and hard to distinguish from all the rest of the creep around them...
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-09-27 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Creep requires structures to promulgate it though, and so the zerg would need to go around the lines or manage to have the orks completely ignore their structures.

    I guess really it depends upon the savviness of whatever is controlling the zerg on Tarsonis.

    I guess this is the era before brood mothers but after Zerg Queens started getting more autonomy/control?
    Well, there are ways around that. Encircle and build creep colonies as far away as they can, while still being close enough to encroach on ork territory. Then start closing in. Creep spreads pretty far away from the source over time. Keep evolving the colonies into sunken and spore and building more another step or two closer and you have a nice set of self defending bunkers that can kill orks and if they die close enough, absorb them into the creep. If they do it fast enough, the zerg would have a solid grouping of colonies before the creep even starts reaching ork turf and warning them. By then it would be too late to stop it short of a full out assault that would end in tons of deaths, on the creep.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    I still think the creep strategy relies overly on static lines of battle, but I concede that the Orks are probably not as likely to win as I believe. It's too bad there is no way to test it, but such is life.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Samurai Casino
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Creep turtling just feels wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Overlords can spew creep underneath them. It's how you place creep/spore colonies or nydus canals in tactically useful areas without building a whole Hatchery.

    I suppose, this versus depends on how competent the Orks are in tactical thinking.

    fortifications can be bypassed using burrowed units like Roaches, Overlord drops, and Nydus Canals. Infestors can take out Squiggoths using a Neural Parasites. Poor aim does not bode well when fighting self-destructive Banelings or small and cheetah-like Zerglings.

    You can take out a substantially larger Zerg force with adequate fortifications which are properly situated and protected with a few defenders. That is, if you know what to look for, and aren't expecting to repopulate your army faster than them.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well, there are ways around that. Encircle and build creep colonies as far away as they can, while still being close enough to encroach on ork territory. Then start closing in. Creep spreads pretty far away from the source over time. Keep evolving the colonies into sunken and spore and building more another step or two closer and you have a nice set of self defending bunkers that can kill orks and if they die close enough, absorb them into the creep. If they do it fast enough, the zerg would have a solid grouping of colonies before the creep even starts reaching ork turf and warning them. By then it would be too late to stop it short of a full out assault that would end in tons of deaths, on the creep.
    Sunken and Spore colonies no longer spread creep.

    They are now Spine, and Spore colonies and have been instead been bred to serve as mobile defense emplacements.

    Also, Ork Boyz squads totally come with burnahs ANYTIME they face nid squads, or any massed faction.

    I'd hazard burnahs, and shootahs would be the standard issue for any savvy warboss.

    As for defenses, part of the ork mentality revolves around "Boss Poles" so I'd imagine they'd follow standard doctrine of setting up an orky camp the moment they cleared their landing zone.

    There's still the issue of Looted siege tanks, valkyries, and battle cruisers that haven't been addressed. Valkyries were to the point in Brood War were even like, 7 of them gave you the air against squads of 20-30 mutalisks.
    Last edited by Fan; 2012-09-28 at 02:34 AM.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    shadow_archmagi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Yeah, given that burny is right up there with shooty and choppy on the list of things orks love, they'd definitely have a fighting chance at this.

    I mean, I can see a Power-Klaw'd nob ripping up an Ultralisk pretty easily, since Power Klaws are essentially lightsaber hands. Lightsaber hands on huge, incredibly strong melee specialists, backed up by flamethrowers and Flash Gitz seems like a winning combination; although admittedly I'm not sure how many Boyz can cram into a Rok, so the Zerg might have it just on the numbers game.

    I feel like the "Zerg scourge means always air superiority" is overstated, since that's never true in the games, even when you're invading char.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Yeah, given that burny is right up there with shooty and choppy on the list of things orks love, they'd definitely have a fighting chance at this.

    I mean, I can see a Power-Klaw'd nob ripping up an Ultralisk pretty easily, since Power Klaws are essentially lightsaber hands. Lightsaber hands on huge, incredibly strong melee specialists, backed up by flamethrowers and Flash Gitz seems like a winning combination; although admittedly I'm not sure how many Boyz can cram into a Rok, so the Zerg might have it just on the numbers game.

    I feel like the "Zerg scourge means always air superiority" is overstated, since that's never true in the games, even when you're invading char.
    Well, it's more combined with Devourers, and this is entirely contingent on this being a Rok only invasion.

    No Kroozers or it's a sweep. A lance fire sweep as hellfire rains down from space in quantities starcraft has never seen or thought of.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydnah, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Well, people don't seem to be taking some stuff into account, namely.

    Orks don't run out of bullets. They have a group unconscious. If they need bullets for shootey, more and more orks start making bullets instead of doing other orky things (raising squigs, fighting, fighting, repairing/making vehicles) etc. It's not just mekboys, mekboys are just necessary for the larger/largest vehicles like gargants (and then, you only need like one mekboy, it's just you need a grand mekboy or 4 out of 5 gargants explode when first powered up - orks don't care, though).

    The Zerg are used to fighting sane opponents. One of the biggest advantages of the zerg is their coordination and control, they don't fight unless they can human wave the enemy to death, and they are not used to fighting something as well or better coordinated them. Ork battle strategies are not strategy as we know it, they have no leaders, poor communication, poor everything, but they always show up in the right place at exactly the right time. That is because they are psychic, and have a group unconscious that guides them to the right place in nearly any battle, and they are too dumb to ignore what their unconscious urges send them towards.

    Orks don't just get bigger when they fight, they make more orks. Ork reproduction is directly linked to conflict. Also, ork spores survive tyranid biomass extraction (although they can't grow without biomass) and imperium virus bombing - i'm guessing zerg creep wouldn't faze them unduly. There is a reason when faced with orks every foe of the orks works to wipe them out as fast as possible - when you don't, you end up with more orks than when you started with, and they're bigger, and their tech works better (not only do the mekboyz build bigger stronger stuff to fight bigger stronger opponents, their psychic powers (that power their tech) amp up from conflict). The Zerg tend towards slow destruction of enemies on the ground, and to prefer to build up than to throw everything into an attack.

    The less orks there are, the more kunning they get. This is again why you don't want to kill them slowly.

    Orks in melee combat get stronger and faster and more killey the longer the combat goes on. Even tyranids tend to lose, according to fluff, if they let the orks get their choppas wet. They are literally 'unstoppable once they get going', which is why everyone goes out of their way to not let them get going. And that's not in terms of just numbers, it's in terms of individual combat potential.

    Orks live everywhere. Everywhere. Sure, some land on the zerg planet and the zerg kill them all fast because they are apparently awesome and know all about orks, but there are now orks in their asteroid belt, and orks on all the other planets in the system, and orks in huge roks circling the sun and some other orks on their way to other systems, and some orks in functioning kroozers warping around the place on tradin mishuns or explorin' or whatever else.



    If you're going to look at a grand conflict like this, you have to look at the fluff of the races and not just their on battlefield stats. What generally makes orks stop fighting is when every ork dies which whole races have specialized UNITS for doing (the Codex Astartes apparently has a whole section on how to fight orks without just making more orks), or when they actually bugger off and leave because the enemy 'aren't fightin' fun like'. Literally, if a conflict is good or fun, orks will just keep popping out of the ground and anywhere else nearby to keep the fun coming.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Sunken and Spore colonies no longer spread creep.

    They are now Spine, and Spore colonies and have been instead been bred to serve as mobile defense emplacements.

    Also, Ork Boyz squads totally come with burnahs ANYTIME they face nid squads, or any massed faction.

    I'd hazard burnahs, and shootahs would be the standard issue for any savvy warboss.

    As for defenses, part of the ork mentality revolves around "Boss Poles" so I'd imagine they'd follow standard doctrine of setting up an orky camp the moment they cleared their landing zone.

    There's still the issue of Looted siege tanks, valkyries, and battle cruisers that haven't been addressed. Valkyries were to the point in Brood War were even like, 7 of them gave you the air against squads of 20-30 mutalisks.
    Ah ok, so this is starcraft 2 era zerg? Its still a viable tactic, and in a way, even more so, as those little creep tumors or whatever they are called, can be hidden and placed rapidly with the right setup. A creep colony from starcraft 1 is readily visible, these things are tiny little blisters, relativly speaking. It isnt a perfect unbeatable strategy, but then, very few things in a decent versus battle are. But it would make for a viable attempt at restricting ork resources while strengthening the zergs.

    Even if it only works for a single attack or two, it would still put the zerg in an advantage, as the orks lose the remains of their boyz on the creep, while the swarm gains them. As an example, say the zerg setup a fast creep build then attack. They start out 50/50 evenly matched with the orks, but after the battle they manage to hit 60/40. They now have a numerical advantage that can be pressed. In fact, that could be a very smart tactic that can be reused in different ways. An ork attack is coming in? Drop a tumor behind the zerg lines and let the creep grow during the battle. If the zerg win, they absorb the remains. If they lose, they didnt really lose anything extra. By holding the battle outside of secure zerg turf, they dont risk their hive in the skirmish, as whatever gets through them still has to deal with the main hive defenses and will have been weakened in the first assault.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Any forces held back for base defense aren't engaging in the main skirmish though, and that's a significant disadvantage.

    Whereas the Orks are very unlikely to care if their base gets smashed up, cause they'll just have the gretchins hammer it back together when they get back.

    Though again, Looted Valkryies might just give the Orks the air advantage. Valkyries took down even waves of scourge due to their tendencies to bunch up, same with devourers and mutalisks.

    They were the penultimate anti air unit, and looted ones always bring more fire power to the game.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Any forces held back for base defense aren't engaging in the main skirmish though, and that's a significant disadvantage.

    Whereas the Orks are very unlikely to care if their base gets smashed up, cause they'll just have the gretchins hammer it back together when they get back.

    Though again, Looted Valkryies might just give the Orks the air advantage. Valkyries took down even waves of scourge due to their tendencies to bunch up, same with devourers and mutalisks.

    They were the penultimate anti air unit, and looted ones always bring more fire power to the game.
    Where would they get valkeries from? I thought they would have moistly their own universes looted tech. As for rebuilding, if the orks base gets overrun with creep, they may not have alot left to rebuild with. And a zerg strategy of base defense isnt totally bonkers, as the zerg main hive area, when done right, can produce armies insanely fast. (4 hatchery/hive structures producing troops at once for example) A few units held back, the solid line of the zerg turrets, and the hatching eggs in the hives themselves means most of the zerg can leave, without leaving the hive even close to defenseless.

    Someone mentioned once about the zerg not really having air superiority in the game, even when char is being invaded. The reason for that is simple, because the zerg forces had to be arranged in a beatable way. The maps were setup with solid anti air, OR anti ground defenses, meaning there was always a hole to exploit. Even when they were combined, it was always light enough to muscle through in the end. Watch the cinematic of the start to the invasion of char. The entire battlefleet was nearly wiped out by the zerg anti air. The ground troops were scattered and slaughtered. Only our resident hero raynor managed to keep the entire debacle from turning into a total loss. Without him, its likely every human on char would have been slaughtered.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Where would they get valkeries from? I thought they would have moistly their own universes looted tech. As for rebuilding, if the orks base gets overrun with creep, they may not have alot left to rebuild with. And a zerg strategy of base defense isnt totally bonkers, as the zerg main hive area, when done right, can produce armies insanely fast. (4 hatchery/hive structures producing troops at once for example) A few units held back, the solid line of the zerg turrets, and the hatching eggs in the hives themselves means most of the zerg can leave, without leaving the hive even close to defenseless.

    Someone mentioned once about the zerg not really having air superiority in the game, even when char is being invaded. The reason for that is simple, because the zerg forces had to be arranged in a beatable way. The maps were setup with solid anti air, OR anti ground defenses, meaning there was always a hole to exploit. Even when they were combined, it was always light enough to muscle through in the end. Watch the cinematic of the start to the invasion of char. The entire battlefleet was nearly wiped out by the zerg anti air. The ground troops were scattered and slaughtered. Only our resident hero raynor managed to keep the entire debacle from turning into a total loss. Without him, its likely every human on char would have been slaughtered.
    Again, game mechanics wise, units are produced insanely fast. It takes days to weeks for a new brood to hatch in fluff though, and I think we're digressing to fluff because otherwise Orks can produce entire squads of Boyz, Mega Armored Nobz, and vehicles from similar structures with a little bit of resources, and can literally produce infinite boys at no cost given time to build up.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Depends on Zerg strat, too. I mean, if they 6 pool or go in for 7 roach rush, they got this before the Orks get a foothold. Trying FE or Fast Mutas, the Orks have pop-capped before you have an army.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Depends on Zerg strat, too. I mean, if they 6 pool or go in for 7 roach rush, they got this before the Orks get a foothold. Trying FE or Fast Mutas, the Orks have pop-capped before you have an army.
    The difference being here, that Orks can produce their man of the line unit out of their first building.

    I'd give sluggahs an easy chance against zerglings. Literally stomping on them.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Literally stomping on them.
    Bad idea for banelings.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Land of Wind and Shade
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Bad idea for banelings.
    The worst idea for banelings, but that requires transformation time, and resources, and a researched upgrade for them to be useful in any meaningful way.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!



  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    The worst idea for banelings, but that requires transformation time, and resources, and a researched upgrade for them to be useful in any meaningful way.
    The Orks are attacking a Zerg-held world, chances are they'd already have Zerg, Zerg buildings, and Zerg Upgades.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    shadow_archmagi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    I admit that the ork reproductive speed is being overestimated- the 40k Wiki uses the word "Decades."

    I wonder how the Orky Fungus-Creep would interact with the Zergy Fungus-Creep?

    I still feel like the Orks are the closest thing to a custom-designed anti-zerg race that you're going to get. Rokkits, stik-bombs, flamers, and lots of dakka are going to work to thin the horde pretty effectively, and they enjoy melee enough to balance out enemy melee and keep their AoE units safe.

    I mean, Killa Kans are 12 foot tall humanoid robots that have circular saws for hands and can mount a rocket launcher/flamethrower/heavy shooter. It isn't going to get much more anti-zerg than that.


    The orks would get ripped to bits by the Protoss though.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-09-28 at 09:17 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    So since so many factors look to be depending on the leadership abilities of the general involved, I think we might have accidentally stumbled across a balanced Vs. match. I know, everyone take a minute to sit down while you recover from the shock.

    I'm still a bit skeptical on the 'looted Terran units' thing, though...Tarsonis had been occupied by the Zerg for a long time, and they pretty much trashed everything capable of fighting back when they took it in the first place. I honestly can't see the Orks finding enough equipment in salvageable condition to actually field an appreciable number of Looted Valkyries or Looted Siege Tanks; they'd be much more likely to get field-stripped and rebuilt into Battlewagons or Fighta-Bommas.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    shadow_archmagi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So since so many factors look to be depending on the leadership abilities of the general involved, I think we might have accidentally stumbled across a balanced Vs. match. I know, everyone take a minute to sit down while you recover from the shock.

    I'm still a bit skeptical on the 'looted Terran units' thing, though...Tarsonis had been occupied by the Zerg for a long time, and they pretty much trashed everything capable of fighting back when they took it in the first place. I honestly can't see the Orks finding enough equipment in salvageable condition to actually field an appreciable number of Looted Valkyries or Looted Siege Tanks; they'd be much more likely to get field-stripped and rebuilt into Battlewagons or Fighta-Bommas.
    It's a toss-up, really. Some Orks would repair and add spikes to the siege tank, others would take every siege tank gun they can find and strap it to a single chassis while converting any salvagable siege tank chassis into battlewagons.

    Luckily, ammunition and resources aren't a problem because the surface of Tarsonis is covered in Spikey Blue Rocks that can be converted quickly and easily into any metal at all.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Actually, that does bring up an interesting question - by the time Wings of Liberty occurs, Kerrigan has pulled out of Tarsonis entirely and it's become a Dominion world. Why did she leave? Was it a lack of resources, or was she just consolidating her forces?


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    shadow_archmagi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Orks (40k) vs. Zerg (Starcraft)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Actually, that does bring up an interesting question - by the time Wings of Liberty occurs, Kerrigan has pulled out of Tarsonis entirely and it's become a Dominion world. Why did she leave? Was it a lack of resources, or was she just consolidating her forces?
    CLEARLY the battle with the Waaagh was proving to be an expensive stalemate, so she pulled out.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •