New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIV:E Long and Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Would you believe him liking Jazz is perhaps even worse?
    I'm not sure how Batman liking Jazz could be worse than that particular comic.
    I am sure I don't want to know how it could be worse, on the off chance it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I know it remains my own headcanon that Spike will simply grow wings naturally. (The two times he's grown were unnatural and don't even match!)
    I think to be honest, that's a pretty widespread Fanon.

Personally I'm not fond of it though. It's almost like saying that it's not okay to be different (from other dragons) and/or that spike is somehow less of a dragon for lacking them.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Sorry to repost so soon, but I was kinda wondering if anyone had an opinion on this. The deadline is a little under two weeks and I'm not sure if I can do something that fast, and if so, which idea to go with. I have the Fluttershy Mindscape story more or less plotted out, but it has a tad more serious tone than my usual work. Or I can go with another one of my ideas. Perhaps a work vs. play AJ/Pinkie story based on the Grasshopper and the Ants, or perhaps a Dash/Pinkie story in which Dash can't let it go when Pinkie consistently beats her at a game Dash's good at.

Thoughts?
    Don't participate. Rushing to get done by the deadline will only cause unnecessary suffering. Be a Judge instead. Pick one of the two ideas and begin writing it for yourself, rather than the competition.
    If you feel the urge to disagree with this advice, then there you go. You had your answer all along. ;)
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-10-02 at 11:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Sorry to repost so soon, but I was kinda wondering if anyone had an opinion on this. The deadline is a little under two weeks and I'm not sure if I can do something that fast, and if so, which idea to go with. I have the Fluttershy Mindscape story more or less plotted out, but it has a tad more serious tone than my usual work. Or I can go with another one of my ideas. Perhaps a work vs. play AJ/Pinkie story based on the Grasshopper and the Ants, or perhaps a Dash/Pinkie story in which Dash can't let it go when Pinkie consistently beats her at a game Dash's good at.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Don't participate. Rushing to get done by the deadline will only cause unnecessary suffering. Be a Judge instead. Pick one of the two ideas and begin writing it for yourself, rather than the competition.
    If you feel the urge to disagree with this advice, then there you go. You had your answer all along. ;)
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with Tiki. Or rather, agree with his white text. Participate, pick the quicker of the two ideas and push yourself to get it done unless you're really worried about other things in your life right now. You'll likely end up with a good piece of work, one that maybe you didn't even think you could get done in that time-frame, and will be free to edit it further if you like it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #723
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That's okay, it wouldn't have worked out in the long term. It was always going to be "Anarion, when you are going to run a Mage game?" wasn't it?"
    Pretty much.

Also, I got a random package from an old friend that had a Rainbow Dash scarf in it! Here is my new summer ensemble.

Spoiler
    Show

Scarf, shirt, badge, pony. Do you think I have enough Rainbow Dash on my body?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Pretty much.

Also, I got a random package from an old friend that had a Rainbow Dash scarf in it! Here is my new summer ensemble.

Spoiler
    Show

You need some Rainbow Dash running shoes and shorts. Only then will your transformation be complete.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much.

Spoiler
    Show

Mustn't forget the Rainbow Dash hat.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #726

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    You need some Rainbow Dash running shoes and shorts. Only then will your transformation be complete.
    Into Rainbow Dash or Scootaloo?

Seriously, I'm going to have more Rainbow Dash cutie marks on my body than Rainbow Dash.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Depends. Can you fly? Incoming sad Scootaloo.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-02 at 11:55 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Seriously, I'm going to have more Rainbow Dash cutie marks on my body than Rainbow Dash.
    That depends on Lixie. If she shows up you'll be shipped with anything/everything and become Rainbow Dash. Otherwise Scootaloo.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2012-10-02 at 11:58 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #729

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Depends. Can you fly? Incoming sad Scootaloo.
    No I can't - aw nuts.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty much.

Spoiler
    Show

Needs to have about 20% more Rainbow Dash.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I'm not sure how Batman liking Jazz could be worse than that particular comic.
    I am sure I don't want to know how it could be worse, on the off chance it is.
    Can be seen here.

Though fair warning there's the resolving of an ongoing plot line around that review. If you watch AT4W, ever.

I think to be honest, that's a pretty widespread Fanon.

Personally I'm not fond of it though. It's almost like saying that it's not okay to be different (from other dragons) and/or that spike is somehow less of a dragon for lacking them.
    Difference is I will reject any and all evidence to the contray. Shoot cannon at canon if need be.

I just happen to think dragons should fly, it more majestic and what not ties in better to the imagery of dragons as the most powerful beasts of lore. Sure its just acquired and not even historically true of western dragons... but ehh this isn't rational.

(And seriously every dragon but has them in show...)

12. - Top - End - #732

Extracts from an English essay on gender I just finished, helpfully informed by My Little Pony:

Spoiler
    Show
    Question:
    20. To what extent do women read and write differently from men? Is there a coherent tradition of female authored literature embodied in genres such as the female Gothic? Are there valid generalizations we can make about female authored literature and criticism or does any such analysis run the risk of essentialism?

Gendered analysis of literature is frequently a self defeating endeavour because it exists to argue or react to increasingly obsolete cultural stereotypes, which often go unexamined or unchallenged even as elaborate arguments are built upon them. Any number of arbitrary claims can be made about female or male authored work, saying that females are more caring and compassionate, or males more proud and dominating and so on, and a plethora of examples can be collected to prove that this is the case. However, the body of the world’s literature is so enormously vast that examples can be found to support any position one cares to argue, and the people who write these pieces are an immensely varied group differentiated far more by their individual personalities and surrounding circumstances than their gender. In a sense, focusing relentlessly on binary question of gender is to boil down the immense complexity of human sexuality to a simple yes/no equation, a process as crude and unhelpful as if you were to define all literature in terms of monarchical or democratic.

[...]

In the modern world, cultural restrictions about gender and sexuality have become extremely relaxed compared to their historical positions. Females have vastly increased independence, social standing, sexual freedom and political power. A range of sexualities are increasingly publically accepted beyond just heterosexuality and homosexuality, but also transgender, androgyne, agendered, demisexuality and so on. These categories blur the already blurry male/female line and make gendered analysis even more obsolete than it already is. Is a male-transgendered-female examined in terms of female writing? Does an asexual woman read and write differently from men? Are there any valid generalisations about gender we can make about a group containing homosexuals, bisexuals, transgenders and hetrosexuals? What is the definition of ‘woman’? The question is far more complex than might be imagined. Perhaps the only safe way to ask the question is “Do you have a Y chromosome?”

At that point, the question of gendered writing becomes purely absurd. How does the Y chromosome affect how you read and write? How does the genetic mutation in your lymph node affect your appreciation of sonnets? Does the fact that your genetics produce dark skin make you incapable of appreciating War and Peace? We have reached the point when we are arguing how brain chemistry affects our relationship with the English language, the point where we are arguing the completely ascientific view that women’s brains are wired inherently differently than men’s and never the two shall cross, and generally immersing ourselves in the reprehensible cultural morass of history.

These sexualities and complexities have always existed and have been hidden for fear of cultural retaliation. The recent vast growth of the LGBTA community isn’t a result of modern society pushing people to new orientations; it is a mask too long worn being taken off, raising with it elaborate historical questions. Was Napoleon transgender? Should we revisit all the policies of Imperial Bonapartist France with regards to female psychology? What should we do if we can’t tell if a writer is male or female from a piece of writing? In the event of a male writing feminine My Little Pony fanfiction what set of stereotypes shall we refer to?

No, these questions are self defeating, divisive and a pointless attempt to put labels on a topic as fluid as water and as vast as the ocean. Females do not read and write differently from males. Individuals read and write differently from each other. What gender means for each individual is a unique and personal question that can not and should not be generalised. There are much more important questions and factors, from individual orientation to cultural conditioning, that inform who people are and how they respond to language and literature than the question of what is going on in their pants.

There are a lot of different ways to be a girl.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-03 at 02:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Long, long comic, but a pretty cool start to an anime-ish high school setting for FiM

http://mauroz.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5gq1b1

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Extracts from an English essay on gender I just finished, helpfully informed by My Little Pony:

Spoiler
    Show
    Question:
    20. To what extent do women read and write differently from men? Is there a coherent tradition of female authored literature embodied in genres such as the female Gothic? Are there valid generalizations we can make about female authored literature and criticism or does any such analysis run the risk of essentialism?

Gendered analysis of literature is frequently a self defeating endeavour because it exists to argue or react to increasingly obsolete cultural stereotypes, which often go unexamined or unchallenged even as elaborate arguments are built upon them. Any number of arbitrary claims can be made about female or male authored work, saying that females are more caring and compassionate, or males more proud and dominating and so on, and a plethora of examples can be collected to prove that this is the case. However, the body of the world’s literature is so enormously vast that examples can be found to support any position one cares to argue, and the people who write these pieces are an immensely varied group differentiated far more by their individual personalities and surrounding circumstances than their gender. In a sense, focusing relentlessly on binary question of gender is to boil down the immense complexity of human sexuality to a simple yes/no equation, a process as crude and unhelpful as if you were to define all literature in terms of monarchical or democratic.

[...]

In the modern world, cultural restrictions about gender and sexuality have become extremely relaxed compared to their historical positions. Females have vastly increased independence, social standing, sexual freedom and political power. A range of sexualities are increasingly publically accepted beyond just heterosexuality and homosexuality, but also transgender, androgyne, agendered, demisexuality and so on. These categories blur the already blurry male/female line and make gendered analysis even more obsolete than it already is. Is a male-transgendered-female examined in terms of female writing? Does an asexual woman read and write differently from men? Are there any valid generalisations about gender we can make about a group containing homosexuals, bisexuals, transgenders and hetrosexuals? What is the definition of ‘woman’? The question is far more complex than might be imagined. Perhaps the only safe way to ask the question is “Do you have a Y chromosome?”

At that point, the question of gendered writing becomes purely absurd. How does the Y chromosome affect how you read and write? How does the genetic mutation in your lymph node affect your appreciation of sonnets? Does the fact that your genetics produce dark skin make you incapable of appreciating War and Peace? We have reached the point when we are arguing how brain chemistry affects our relationship with the English language, the point where we are arguing the completely ascientific view that women’s brains are wired inherently differently than men’s and never the two shall cross, and generally immersing ourselves in the reprehensible cultural morass of history.

These sexualities and complexities have always existed and have been hidden for fear of cultural retaliation. The recent vast growth of the LGBTA community isn’t a result of modern society pushing people to new orientations; it is a mask too long worn being taken off, raising with it elaborate historical questions. Was Napoleon transgender? Should we revisit all the policies of Imperial Bonapartist France with regards to female psychology? What should we do if we can’t tell if a writer is male or female from a piece of writing? In the event of a male writing feminine My Little Pony fanfiction what set of stereotypes shall we refer to?

No, these questions are self defeating, divisive and a pointless attempt to put labels on a topic as fluid as water and as vast as the ocean. Females do not read and write differently from males. Individuals read and write differently from each other. What gender means for each individual is a unique and personal question that can not and should not be generalised. There are much more important questions and factors, from individual orientation to cultural conditioning, that inform who people are and how they respond to language and literature than the question of what is going on in their pants.

There are a lot of different ways to be a girl.
    Thoughtful.

I'd be curious to your response to the following proposition:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creation of gender categories, as with most labeling efforts, includes both a normative and a predictive/descriptive exercise. You've very effectively dismissed the normative exercise, but in so doing also dismissed the descriptive/predictive exercise as well. That is, you've simply thrown out the label of gender and told us that it has no use in any context related to writing. Do you have in mind any alternative terms or models for use in a predictive/descriptive effort in a piece of writing, or is the effort of determining the characteristics of a work based on traits of its author something that you believe, more broadly, to be an exercise in futility?

Obviously, no need for a further essay, just something to think about.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzzah!

The forum drought and the subsequent pony drought has ended!

...also, I'm the first person to post for 3 days or so. YEAH!

*puts on Horatio Caine style sunglasses*
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #736
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh nice, the forums are back!

Also read something short and sweet last night. Family Outing, which involves the Doctor, Derpy, and Dinky.

And another amusing tale that was inspired from a certain picture.

17. - Top - End - #737

Oh thank goodness I was going NUTS without ponythread.

"Several hours" my tail!

18. - Top - End - #738

Yay. Welcome back everypony.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Woooo! We're back in business, baby!

Oh thank goodness I was going NUTS without ponythread.

"Several hours" my tail!
    I actually kinda enjoyed a few days of one less distraction, I even think I was marginally more productive than usual Now, if it had happened on a day when a new episode aired, I'd have gone totally bananas and donned some kind of supervillain costume.

20. - Top - End - #740

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I actually kinda enjoyed a few days of one less distraction, I even think I was marginally more productive than usual Now, if it had happened on a day when a new episode aired, I'd have gone totally bananas and donned some kind of supervillain costume.
    Actually, yes, I agree. My major problem was that I was in the middle of like 15 posts when It Happened.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

starts kissing the ground of ponythread*

"HOME! HOME!"

... eww, this tastes funny. Phflegh .. Augh!

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooray, the forums are back!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-10-06 at 06:22 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

23. - Top - End - #743

Am I the only finding it slightly ironic that, after the name of the previous thread, when a ponythread emergency did occur we had no reserve ponythreads stashed anywhere?
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

24. - Top - End - #744
    Spamalot in the Playground

So what did you all do while the forum was down for a couple days?
    I went joyriding--
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spike: A dragon or Salamander
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean he doesn't have wings, but all the dragons have wings. I mean Salamander (Mythic version) can breathe fire, fireproof and doesn't have wings.
    If he's a dragon, Spike could be like Worf, who is considered as a good guy in the evil race.
    And just like Worf, completely ineffective against others of his kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Long, long comic, but a pretty cool start to an anime-ish high school setting for FiM
    http://mauroz.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5gq1b1
    Saw that earlier and it is AWESOME! I do like the little detail additions on Celestia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Am I the only finding it slightly ironic that, after the name of the previous thread, when a ponythread emergency did occur we had no reserve ponythreads stashed anywhere?
    Speak for yourself, I had plenty of Ponythreading with some friends building NPCs for today's D&D game. Two encounters with ponies and a "Mecha-Spike"
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-10-06 at 07:04 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed, I had been thinking about that and tempted to skype Amishpirate on that piece of irony only to remember oh yea...he's on a flight. *baderp*

But yes, tis lovely to see the forum and even the ponythread again

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, we do have other threads with ponythread flavored insanity stashed away. It's just that they got knocked out as well.

In the meantime, I've thought up yet another fanfic idea that I may or may not ever get around to writing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A contingency plan of Discord's is activated, turning Equestria into a D&D-like realm and forcing the mane 6 to go on an epic quest to retrieve the Elements of Harmony. Essentially the mane 6 in D&D with Discord as the DM.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

27. - Top - End - #747

I had other ponythreads to go to. Admittedly, they're much slower than this one, but they were still running. Had a nice discussion of liking Twilight despite her flaws, which somehow veered into a brief rundown of the differences between the different Links...
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

28. - Top - End - #748
    Spamalot in the Playground

Applejack x Rarity is best pairing. An artist is doing a 30-day OTP there with Rarity and Applejack.
    There are some adorable images to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    In the meantime, I've thought up yet another fanfic idea that I may or may not ever get around to writing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A contingency plan of Discord's is activated, turning Equestria into a D&D-like realm and forcing the mane 6 to go on an epic quest to retrieve the Elements of Harmony. Essentially the mane 6 in D&D with Discord as the DM.
    Sounds like when Nick in my gaming group runs a campaign... except everyone else in the party is already "Discorded"

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    I had other ponythreads to go to. Admittedly, they're much slower than this one, but they were still running. Had a nice discussion of liking Twilight despite her flaws, which somehow veered into a brief rundown of the differences between the different Links...
    Legend of Celestia: Twilight Princess Sparkle?
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-10-06 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Spelling How I Spell
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    So what did you all do while the forum was down for a couple days?
    Without the distractions of ponythread I was far more productivpffffffhahahahaha, naw I'm just kidding. Played video games. Got back into Minecraft after about a years hiatus. So much new stuff to see. x_x

Hmm. Ponies, eh?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

30. - Top - End - #750

(Un?)official ponythread element of airships.