New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIV:E Long and Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Who knows? Some shows manage to get life long fandoms. This could be one of them.
    I second this. I have seen a lot of bronies who thrive solely on fan-made content and regard the show as a secondary source for pony.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

I've described MLP as the Westen Touhou. Most of the characters are female, most of the content is fan made (you've got to admit, 95% of pony stuff these days /is/ fan made) and there are conventions and music and all that.

The Touhou fandom tends to maintain for years between games, if I recall correctly.

Chances the Brony thing is going to be for the long haul.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I've described MLP as the Westen Touhou. Most of the characters are female, most of the content is fan made (you've got to admit, 95% of pony stuff these days /is/ fan made) and there are conventions and music and all that.

The Touhou fandom tends to maintain for years between games, if I recall correctly.

Chances the Brony thing is going to be for the long haul.

At this point, the fandom has become self-sufficient. No pony? No problem. Although YMMV, EqD is proof positive of this: forty high quality pieces of art, maybe a dozen videos / songs, two or three fics... If anything, 95% is lowballing what the community has done.

(Consider Fallout: Equestria, Background Pony, It's a Dangerous Business Going Out Your Door. Three superb fanfictions, each at least triple-paperback length. By the way, if you like Brian Jacques, give It's a Dangerous Business a shot. It's like hearing his voice narrate ponies.)
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

And then there's people like me, who are just waiting for the thing to officially end to cash in on cheap knock-off memorabilia.

o/~ Your Tiny Horsey, Your Tiny Horsey...
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Commodore: was the system designed around the AOTRS? That would make sense.
    Nope. The system was designed around modelling weapons system effects such that they could be used to define pretty much any genera. Which I have done very well, if I do say so myself... To the extent that, when I read the Lost Fleet series, I realised I could model every one of their weapons systems in AccAtt, without even having to try. (Hell lances = beams, spectres = missiles, grapeshot = blast torpedoes, null-field projector = heavy beams...)

(The only thing I haven't got is an intertial movement system, because a) I have only seen one system that does that passable well, and if you were really bothered, you could more or less nick it and use AccAtt with it wholesale, b) whatever you do, it adds much more time and record keeping, which reduces the bit count of the number of ships you can use and c) it isn't really something I find particulalry interesting enough to spend the time developing myself.)

Far from being the ships around which the system was designed, the Aotrs were at least sixth or seventh of the list, out of the fourteen or so fleets we had at the time, and at least one or two new fleets (like the Herosine Empire) which we hadn't used in Full Thrust, got their stats before the Aotrs did. (The Cybertanks were one of the first two, along with the NAC; indeed the NAC's heavy cruiser, and the Cybertank Assimilator were used as the first-order defining points of the whole system (i.e. what sort of size/numbers and whatnot, because you have got to have a baseline somewhere).)

Speaking of AccAtt, did you or your mates have chance to have a go or a proper look yet? I know you said he seemed quite interested, but if you sent him my email, he hasn't got back to me. And I assume from your quietness, Lix, it made your brain melt or something...!

(You'll actually seen 90% of the Aotrs technologies in the starter rules - beams, missiles, torpedoes, pulses, PD/ID, heavy beams; the only thing not in there is bolts (our railguns) and teleporter FTL. (Some of) the Aotrs technologies are just higher (e.g. TL 10 missile/torps, rather than the 5/6 as the Vivrathk and Stone Portals have, with more compact technologies. There aren't in fact, many more types of weapons than found in both the SP and Vivrathk fleets - a few more different types of warhead (like Salvo rockets), but that's about it.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-29 at 05:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    (Consider Fallout: Equestria, Background Pony End of Ponies, It's a Dangerous Business Going Out Your Door.
    Fix'd.

I consider Background Pony to be lesser of SSnE's work.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-09-29 at 05:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Fix'd.

I consider Background Pony to be lesser of SSnE's work.
    You know, I just looked ... didn't know what else they had written besides Background Pony, and now I just have one question.

14 stories and a million words.

How the hay do you get that prolific? What kind of Fausticornian bargain must you make to be able to write that many words without it all being crap? I wanna know! With that kind of productivity I could have finished all my stories long ago.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Cocaine.

Nutritious, delicious cocaine.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

Hmm. this post needs more pony. Have some alicorn OCs (people like those, right?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. Yes I do.
    Buck the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    What is this MadTV and why have I never heard of it? ;_;
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-09-29 at 07:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    For fun type something into google image search then adding "pony" to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You know, in about 5-10 years time this will likely be true. The majority of bronies will drift away and only a small following will remain.
    I think three seasons of a show is enough to establish a pretty solid fandom already. Many anime are only 26 episodes and people remember them and remain fans of them.

As several others have pointed out, fan work is really most of the content at this point, although I do think the episodes provide a core of inspiration for everypony. Particularly if the show does get a 4th and even a 5th season, I think it will end up being pretty lasting.

Fifteen pages and not really anything that sparks. Depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Now that I think of it, I have a pretty convoluted backstory.
    Made all the more complex because with Mask in there, we can't ever be absolutely certain you're who you claim to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post

How the hay do you get that prolific? What kind of Fausticornian bargain must you make to be able to write that many words without it all being crap? I wanna know! With that kind of productivity I could have finished all my stories long ago.
    Honestly, I'm sure the person had done a bunch of writing previously because there's no way one could write that much that well unless the act of writing was something that came pretty easily and naturally.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Honestly, I'm sure the person had done a bunch of writing previously because there's no way one could write that much that well unless the act of writing was something that came pretty easily and naturally.
    Yeah

For fun I counted my own words. I've written 9 stories with a total of 182.000 words. I suppose another possible factor is that they dedicate almost all of their time to writing. I spend an awful lot of time on other stuff; drawing, reading, ponythread, games, studying, sleeping ... If I spent most of my days just writing I suppose I could probably have churned out a million words by now too.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    By the way, if you like Brian Jacques, give It's a Dangerous Business a shot. It's like hearing his voice narrate ponies.)
    Not quite if it was Brian Jacques there would be a chapter each for what food they had in Gildesdale and the Shimmerwood

But seriously you're right it does have some of that feel, loved them both (why did Jacques have to die?... )
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    all righty...finally got around to rollin the die to see who gets 1st option on the Glowy Zecora

the winner is....... Balmas
    Spoiler
    Show

In all seriousness though, congrats Balmas.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure, but I've seen a few of these parodies now, so I'm guessing it's a TV show... about parodies.

Yup.

That was quick:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I just looked ... didn't know what else they had written besides Background Pony, and now I just have one question.

Everyday I ask that question myself.

I have no answer.

Please do ignore the shrine to SSnE I have here in my bedroom.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    You've never heard of it because it's not worth mentioning. Trust me.

Also, someone mentioned End of Ponies. Never read it (of course), but this song is pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrqbWUjhgvo

I'm of the opinion that the very best of each art (JJ for drawing, her for fics, etc) are actually professionals that are secretly pretending to be normal people.

Take music for example. MandoPony was in a commercial in New England where he was singing an acoustic cover of a Beatles song. Ponyphonic's video of his cover of Winter Wrap Up clearly shows him using professional equipment.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-29 at 11:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Course that's not what was said.
    This makes me uncomfortable, which is why I wanted to stop. I would really appreciate it if this subject was dropped.

Mask didn't know she had a brother. Probably a sure sign that she has one.
    I love you. Will you marry me?

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Far from being the ships around which the system was designed, the Aotrs were at least sixth or seventh of the list, out of the fourteen or so fleets we had at the time, and at least one or two new fleets (like the Herosine Empire) which we hadn't used in Full Thrust, got their stats before the Aotrs did. (The Cybertanks were one of the first two, along with the NAC; indeed the NAC's heavy cruiser, and the Cybertank Assimilator were used as the first-order defining points of the whole system (i.e. what sort of size/numbers and whatnot, because you have got to have a baseline somewhere).)
    ...who are the NAC? I don't know they've been mentioned. O_o

Speaking of AccAtt, did you or your mates have chance to have a go or a proper look yet? I know you said he seemed quite interested, but if you sent him my email, he hasn't got back to me. And I assume from your quietness, Lix, it made your brain melt or something...!
    I.
    Um.
    LOOK, A DEMONIC DUCK OF SOME SORT!
    I've been busy I swear X_x
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

So, I thought I actually ought to get around to putting my full avatar onto a t-shirt like I've been threatening to, for the Worlds next weekend.

Not an auspicious start, as I managed, despite my best intentions, to print it on the wrong side of the paper, and then the printer ran out of ink.

(Though to be fair, it's been sitting on nearly empty, just waiting for me to need to try something like this.)

So, must attempt again, later in week...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-29 at 10:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Spamalot in the Playground

Gauze fixes everything:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Real-life. Real-life.
    Yeah, some of us have trivial annoyances that take us away, like jobs, children, house chores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Okay, I found this. The jokes follow the exact same path as the original but....watch it for Discord.
    Ah, proof that these threads move so fast that content is missed.
    (I posted it a couple days ago). "We're on a bridge Twilight!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Shoot, IHOP sounds good about now.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-29 at 10:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...who are the NAC? I don't know they've been mentioned. O_o
    Eh, just a human faction. Nothing all that important.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Ahhh. So they're the baselines in more respect than one.

Do you have a space bugs race anywhere? The trope is common, but I don't think I've ever seen you do anything like Zerg or Tyranids.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Ahhh. So they're the baselines in more respect than one.

Do you have a space bugs race anywhere? The trope is common, but I don't think I've ever seen you do anything like Zerg or Tyranids.
    Not really, though the Kra'Vak or the biofleet might distantly be similar, neither of which are major players (the latter is more a wild animal nuisence, albiet one that can be dangerous if left alone, but still.)

25. - Top - End - #445
    Bugbear in the Playground

Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Okay, that was funny.

Also, and I've said this before, it never fails to surprise me how utterly alien anime/pony/games conventions are by the standard of a typical wargames show. Even Expo, which the one we do that's a games convention (as opposed to a wargames convention) is nearly completely different...

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, that was funny.

Also, and I've said this before, it never fails to surprise me how utterly alien anime/pony/games conventions are by the standard of a typical wargames show. Even Expo, which the one we do that's a games convention (as opposed to a wargames convention) is nearly completely different...
    I'm curious, what's so different about them?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Not really, though the Kra'Vak or the biofleet might distantly be similar, neither of which are major players (the latter is more a wild animal nuisence, albiet one that can be dangerous if left alone, but still.)
    Well, Emily Winters had better work harder on giving you a new wing of bioships.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

You're welcome!

Monobear is the sort to have plans in case nopony's killing each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Also re: Monobear having plans for when nopony is killing each other.
    From what I wiki'd, this seems a fair comment. It practically seems to be what he's for.
    Yeah. But he never directly kills someone (so far at least) unless they attack him or break a rule. So I think it would be funny to see a fic where all of his 'motives' and plans just flat out fail.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Darn it, you beat me to it.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!