New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIV:E Long and Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    That sparkle mane seems to scare a lot of pony artists and they don't like drawing it or something.
    to be fair, even the show's animators have trouble with those things.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

2. - Top - End - #932
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Pony picture wave fire!

Spoiler
    Show
    [snip]
    Augh, the pretty art! *_*

I would like those costumes to be canon.
    And those pixely avatar-like ones remind me of Gaia.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    But not every artist...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    If that's an oblique suggestion for why we don't get enough Luna then I will disagree. It's Flash, its all additive work. So once they have a model they have everything that model could do before. Its why the animation has constantly improved and background ponies have diversified, especially away from standard models, because they have increasing time to do such things. So Luna would be less and less work each time, and you could possibly get away with just new direction and placing

Or that's my understanding of Flash animation anyways.

Now though while I should say that even if its more difficult that's not much excuse for the animators who are paid to do that, but is some of one for artist that do this presumably mostly in their spare time. But then most of them are doing still work not animation so the biggest distinctions are gone.

Ehh I'm grinding an old axe, I got a little fed-up with people not doing Luna right about a month after Luna Eclipsed first aired and I was still seeing people doing stuff with depowered SE01 Luna. So that show accuracy became a sticking point. If you want her in your art, then do it right is all.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ehh I'm grinding an old axe, I got a little fed-up with people not doing Luna right about a month after Luna Eclipsed first aired and I was still seeing people doing stuff with depowered SE01 Luna. So that show accuracy became a sticking point. If you want her in your art, then do it right is all.
    You do know that a lot of people prefer the original design over the new one? I suspect that accuracy isn't as large a factor as preference here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

I'd just like to note that my original issue had nothing to do with the mane. I found that scarf picture weird because Luna's face, head, and neck all have about the same proportions as Twilight's and Luna and Twilight are placed evenly next to each other. In the show, Luna is bigger and has a different face and body shape than Twilight, so seeing them looking the same was odd enough that I didn't even recognize it as Luna at first.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

You do know that a lot of people prefer the original design over the new one? I suspect that accuracy isn't as large a factor as preference here.
    Personally I wasn't much of a fan of the depowered Luna.

Actually reverse that. The powered Luna is just so awesome that the depowered Luna wanes in comparison.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Actually reverse that. The powered Luna is just so awesome that the depowered Luna wanes in comparison.
    This, Luna was a blank slate until Luna Eclipsed. Filling that was an awesome pony with much more to her then a couple of shock looks.

This effects the design too, without a character to go with it its just a blank to project whatever onto. When canon comes along and wipes that out... well yeah.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

So... season 3 is starting so very soon... so very soon...
    *strokes brushy Fluttershy figure*
    Yessss.

Finally, my life will have meaning again!

If that's an oblique suggestion for why we don't get enough Luna then I will disagree. It's Flash, its all additive work. So once they have a model they have everything that model could do before. Its why the animation has constantly improved and background ponies have diversified, especially away from standard models, because they have increasing time to do such things. So Luna would be less and less work each time, and you could possibly get away with just new direction and placing

It's not Flash animation as such. FiM uses Symbol animation, which is a way of animating in Flash. I haven't done a great deal of Symbol animation, but from what I know about it, they probably have a library of pre-drawn pony parts (most likely imported in from Illustrator) which they convert into Symbols and animate by tweening them from one position to the next. I think the animation process is kind of similar to how they animate in 3D, minus the library part, but I don't know enough about 3D animation to say for sure. I have a friend who's very good with symbols, he probably knows better then I do.

Which reminds me I really want a scrambled egg.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-10-09 at 03:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

What does a Lich do when his favorite recreation is denied to him?
    Well, most of last week, prepare for the Worlds or play Transport Tycoon slightly more heavily.

And, as it happens, a Nanoha fanfic that hadn't updated in a long time started again, and that prompted me to start reading one of the other better ones again, as I had stopped checking the Nanoha section of Fanfic regularly some time ago, and the chap had started to release an umpteentrh sequel, and I realised I couldn't even remember what had happened in the first one.

11. - Top - End - #941

I made a pony!

Spoiler
    Show

Ponified version of one of my D&D characters, a Fire Genasi Swordmage. Shamelessly traced the pose from Twilight preparing to charge NMM in Ep2. The hair was the hard bit. Still needs tweaking, such as thicker lines, and she will be my new avatar.

Edit: not sure the cutie mark is right yet, but here (<-----) is the avatar version.
    Last edited by Excession; 2012-10-09 at 06:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

The Legend of Sweetie Belle, Ocarina of Apples
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    If it's a Chrome issue, or because people have way too many tabs open, then it's not certain that simply rescaling the images will help ... although I totally agree they need to improve how spoilers and images work around here.

Anyway, I shall point to "Deadly's Ironically Presented Anti-Spoiler Measures" in the first post. Aside from ridding you of spoilers, it also helpfully rescales all images to be no more than 600px wide.

Edit: Here's a version that only scales all images and doesn't remove spoilers, in case you don't mind the spoilers

Code:
    javascript:(function() {a = document.getElementsByTagName('img'); for (i = 0 ; i < a.length ; i++) { a[i].style.maxWidth = '600px'; }})();
    This is a must have. Thanks very much!

(will be reading II later)

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Which reminds me I really want a scrambled egg.
    How did you get from Flash animation to Scrambled Egg?

Preview edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Excession
    Ponified version of one of D&D characters, a Fire Genasi Swordmage. Shamelessly traced the pose from Twilight preparing to charge NMM in Ep2. The hair was the hard bit. Still needs tweaking, such as thicker lines, and she will be my new avatar.
    Cool stuff! I like the firey mane! You might want to make the cutie mark stand out a little more though; It'll likely be very hard to see when at avatar size.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Now though while I should say that even if its more difficult that's not much excuse for the animators who are paid to do that, but is some of one for artist that do this presumably mostly in their spare time. But then most of them are doing still work not animation so the biggest distinctions are gone.

I suspect it's that they originally started Luna Eclipsed using the old design and changed her design at some point during or after the episode was created. Quite often during the episode, if you pause you can see parts of her old mane left over, that they didn't remove.

So I don't think it's that they have a problem with her mane, it's just that they were probably in a hurry because the decision to change her design happened relatively late (I suspect). That aside, I agree that they'll continue to get better, too.

I will say, though, that her mane really is tricky, at least for me. Even Celestia's, while tedious, is easier. I don't know how they do it, but personally I haven't yet found the right trick for doing it easily. I have to get sort of hacky to make it look right. This might just be because I don't use the same software or methods, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Eeyup!

This is also the reason why the whole Woona thing doesn't hold much appeal to me, and why - to bring back the filly wars - I'd probably have to give the victory to Twilight when it comes to being cute. Because cuteness is not the appeal of Luna to me. I like Luna for being totally badass and for her dark, mysterious beauty, not for being cute and adorable. Reverting her back to little S1 Luna takes her edge away.

Frankly I'd love to see a filly Luna who isn't cute and adorable, but dark and edgy like her adult self.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    This is a must have. Thanks very much!

(will be reading II later)
    You're welcome

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    I made a pony!

Spoiler
    Show

Ponified version of one of my D&D characters, a Fire Genasi Swordmage. Shamelessly traced the pose from Twilight preparing to charge NMM in Ep2. The hair was the hard bit. Still needs tweaking, such as thicker lines, and she will be my new avatar.

Edit: not sure the cutie mark is right yet, but here (<-----) is the avatar version.
    Hot dang!

Sweet pony, bro.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Spamalot in the Playground

And works like a charm too.
    Want It Need It!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    But I like big versions
    **Dramatic Pose**
    "Fear not, fair Trixie! For the original big version is still linked there!"
    </Ham>

What does a Lich do when his favorite recreation is denied to him?
    Get a new life?
    (Then suck the soul out of it?)

Pony picture wave fire!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delicious
    Oooh, I like the little sprite forms of the mane six, but that Pinkie Changling's smile. Egads that's just so gosh darn evilly cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    I made a pony!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice job on it! I give it a hoof up.

The Legend of Sweetie Belle, Ocarina of Apples
    Spoiler
    Show

Awww, poor Big Mac.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #946

Cool stuff! I like the firey mane! You might want to make the cutie mark stand out a little more though; It'll likely be very hard to see when at avatar size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Hot dang!

Sweet pony, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Nice job on it! I give it a hoof up.
    Thanks! I did a few more tweaks and now as well as the avatar to the left here's the big version:
    Spoiler
    Show

That was a lot of Inkscape for one evening. Any more and my brain is going to spawn an entirely new OC called Cusp Node
    Last edited by Excession; 2012-10-09 at 07:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

I was just checking out some stuff for the Borderlands 2 DLC character, Gaige the Mechromancer.

Apparently her skill tree contains all of the pony references. No, really.
    Though knowing ponythread, someone has long since linked this.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Applelicious!

Poor AJ, always the background pony

19. - Top - End - #949

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I was just checking out some stuff for the Borderlands 2 DLC character, Gaige the Mechromancer.

Old news, but still awesome.

I'm going to invest in those skills and those skills only.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

20. - Top - End - #950

would be great if a secret easter egg turn you into a pony when you fill up every pony related skills.

I am not familiar with borderland terminology but "mechromancer"? what's a "mechro"? Unless they mean mech-romancer... ummm....hopefully that's not what they mean to imply.

Also discussion of mythical creatures on EQD brings up an interesting point. Sphinx in Equestria... Human faced or pony faced?
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    would be great if a secret easter egg turn you into a pony when you fill up every pony related skills.

I am not familiar with borderland terminology but "mechromancer"? what's a "mechro"? Unless they mean mech-romancer... ummm....hopefully that's not what they mean to imply.

Also discussion of mythical creatures on EQD brings up an interesting point. Sphinx in Equestria... Human faced or pony faced?
    Well, 'mancer', as far as I can tell, is always related to some kind of magic learning style, like pyromancy or necromancy or astromancy or stuff. The 'mech' part makes me think that she's a 'mechanicle-mancer', which would make sense, considering her special power is having a giant robot...

22. - Top - End - #952

Well, 'mancer', as far as I can tell, is always related to some kind of magic learning style, like pyromancy or necromancy or astromancy or stuff. The 'mech' part makes me think that she's a 'mechanicle-mancer', which would make sense, considering her special power is having a giant robot...
    yes yes, I am not questioning the "-mancer" part, it's just that if you go with "-mancer" then the question is what is "Mechro"? and If you go with "Mech-" then it becomes "Mech-Romancer".

'course if some how time is involved then we could have a portmanteau of "Mech", "Chrono", "mancer".
    MeCHronomancer.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-10-09 at 12:07 PM.
    -Mako Mankanshoku

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe they added the 'ro' bit just to make it sounds fancier? Like, Mechmancer doesn't have the same zing as Mechromancer. Mechromancer! Mechromancer~ Mechro...MANCER???

See... see what I mean?

24. - Top - End - #954

Maybe they added the 'ro' bit just to make it sounds fancier? Like, Mechmancer doesn't have the same zing as Mechromancer. Mechromancer! Mechromancer~ Mechro...MANCER???

See... see what I mean?
    I know what you mean, and I know that's what they likely did. I was poking fun at superfluous wording change. Proper term would have been Mecha-Mancer, or even Mechano-mancer. (which is in itself a made up word anyway, but atleast conforms to proper protmanteau structure.)

or maybe... just maybe, they intentionally meant to imply mecha romance?

Anyway, back to pony.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-10-09 at 12:30 PM.
    -Mako Mankanshoku

25. - Top - End - #955
    Firbolg in the Playground

I believe it to be a play on Necromancer, but with Mech instead.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

26. - Top - End - #956
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Heh, quite a number of them to be sure.
    Though I don't think this got linked here before?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Poor AJ, always the background pony
    I know, so unfair! She's practically second in command within the Mane 6 and she has the most developed family too.

Gooood night everybody! </Yakko Warner>
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

27. - Top - End - #957

In point of fact, historically a [something]mancer was someone who did divination with the [something] - so, for instance, a pyromancer would read the future from flames, and a necromancer would question the dead, and so on.

As for sphinxes, I believe the human head in our world is to indicate intelligence, so probably an Equestrian sphinx would have a pony head.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

28. - Top - End - #958

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I believe it to be a play on Necromancer, but with Mech instead.
    That... that is brilliant!
    Raise/Binding human souls to mechanical bodies? Mecha-liches? (wait... that sounds familiar.....)

edit: And apparently, that's precisly what they meant

double edit: Tried to draw a Pony Sphinx.... looks a lot like the offspring of a griffin and pony.....
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-10-09 at 12:56 PM.
    -Mako Mankanshoku

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

What makes g1 different from current g4?
    - They have humans, like Megan, Witches and Knights.
    - Ponies were average homesteader-like people (AKA not kingdom).
    - Sea Ponies
    - Gnomes, Elves (rumor) and fluff thingies.
    P.S- Which one should be included in Season 3?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Made of diamonds?

Technically, Manticore is supposed to be human faced, too, and we all know how it turned out...
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"