New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIV:E Long and Pony!

UFO 49
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yo Rainbow Dash,

This was by far the most fun I've had yet. The humans spotted two big UFO's and tried to take one of them down. The nearly got swatted out of the sky but instead of backing off they followed them to an island off of Austrailia. Both UFO's landed right beside each other.

Naturally they decided to show no mercy and sent my team in. We got there at night and HQ said we could wait for dawn but we're not some hatchlings with egg on our beaks! The dark doesn't scare us at all! So we told HQ to buck off and we went in.

It was those green guys, and let me tell you, these guys do not know how to die. Twice I saw them get shot or blown up and watched them stand right back up. Didn't matter to us though cause we just killed them a second time! Still after the fight I checked them all one last time, and guess what? One was still alive. But not for long ;).

Anyways I personally pegged two but there was a over a dozen to go around. I have to say my team really impressed me. Nopony backed down and everypony carried their weight. We were like the griffon warriors of legend working together perfectly and making sure that every time they showed their stupid green faces we'd blast them with a wave of plasma fire! Despite our awesomeness we still lost our tank scouting the top floor and me and Cloudkicker took a bomb to the face. Don't worry about us though, we're too tough to even be hurt by such weak explosion.

HQ still wants us to check in though so have fun cleaning up the other ship! Oh almost forgot. We picked up so much sweet loot that we didn't have room for a new tank! We transferred a bunch of it to the Europe base but we still need to build a new storage room before we get our new tank.

Good Luck,

Gilda
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

S3 speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why I am feeling that Alicorns might be creation of Discord? I mean he's god of chaos (AKA jumbled up traits from Unicorn, Pegasus and Ponies), and he probably come after the creation of Equestria by Three Pony Tribes?

P.S- I just found my favorite 2 mad gods, Sheogorath and Discord. So, who's the most craziest dude of 2; Sheogorath or Discord?
    Last edited by t209; 2012-10-13 at 12:21 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    S3 speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why I am feeling that Alicorns might be creation of Discord? I mean he's god of chaos (AKA jumbled up traits from Unicorn, Pegasus and Ponies), and he probably come after the creation of Equestria by Three Pony Tribes?
    Cadance would at present pose a problem with that like most Alicorn theories.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not really. If you watch the spoiler video, you can see that the crystal ponies have been gone for a thousand years, so it's plausible that Cadence was trapped.

...Except that she was Twilight's foalsitter. Crap.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    S3 fragment in HD quality...
    Gaaaaah! Pinkie Pie is not a spy! Pinkie Pie is a ninja! Season 3 ruined somebody's canon!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

UFO 52
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Twilight,

Today we received horrible news! It seems some of the humans have begun to surrender to the aliens! How could they! Well if they think we're going to protect their grubby little country anymore then they are just just...ARRRGH!

Besides that took on an entirely new species today. Due to their fancy orange cloaks and flying abilities I decided to call the Ethereals! It was also the first field test of our new psionic abilities. It didn't go well. No matter how hard we tried we could mind control anyone. Perhaps we need more training? Spikey Wikey did capture one so hopefully we'll get some answers about this new species soon.

Sincerely,

Rarity Unicorn

Australia abandoned me and right after I took out that very large ship too!

I messed up on which order I killed those ships though. After I killed the big one every other one took off and scattered. Couldn't catch any of them so I think they fled.

Are Hyperwave decoders detection 100%? I just finished building one in each base and I was wondering if I needed more.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    ...Except that she was Twilight's foalsitter. Crap.
    Pretty much. Even putting aside that occupation (Princess's there are not bound by our expectations of association!) having grown up much roughly along with Twilight precludes for now that Alicorns have some super-special-awesome origin or whatever.

I got over this kinda of thinking with Heath's Warming Eve personally. With Equestria well predating Celestia/Luna its just plain hard to ascribe the breed more deistic characteristics like was fairly common before.

Now we know from a few months back Cadance is involved in events so they may be changing this in someway... but she still largely precludes a unified theory as it will need to have her particular exception to it.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    UFO 52
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Twilight,

Today we received horrible news! It seems some of the humans have begun to surrender to the aliens! How could they! Well if they think we're going to protect their grubby little country anymore then they are just just...ARRRGH!

Besides that took on an entirely new species today. Due to their fancy orange cloaks and flying abilities I decided to call the Ethereals! It was also the first field test of our new psionic abilities. It didn't go well. No matter how hard we tried we could mind control anyone. Perhaps we need more training? Spikey Wikey did capture one so hopefully we'll get some answers about this new species soon.

Sincerely,

Rarity Unicorn

I messed up on which order I killed those ships though. After I killed the big one every other one took off and scattered. Couldn't catch any of them so I think they fled.

Are Hyperwave decoders detection 100%? I just finished building one in each base and I was wondering if I needed more.
    It's always been the assumption I've worked off. I'm not sure on the range but in my experience they work. Also, Ethereals are not exactly the best ruler to judge mind control off of. They are the elite warriors for a reason.

At least Australia isn't that great as far as cash goes. Still is unfortunate to lose any factions to the aliens.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    UFO 52
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Twilight,

Sincerely,

Rarity Unicorn

Yeah, one hyperwave decoder per base is 100% and gives you way more info about each ship, including it's mission. Also, just so you know, what happened with that mass of ships was probably an infiltration mission. If the battleship was coming in to land, you had already lost Australia, even if you had shot down every UFO before it landed. It triggers the withdrawawl from X-com as soon as the ships enter Earth atmosphere. I recommend you send an interceptor to go circle the Australian continent for a few hours. I'd bet there's an alien base around there somewhere now.

Pretty much. Even putting aside that occupation (Princess's there are not bound by our expectations of association!) having grown up much roughly along with Twilight precludes for now that Alicorns have some super-special-awesome origin or whatever.

I got over this kinda of thinking with Heath's Warming Eve personally. With Equestria well predating Celestia/Luna its just plain hard to ascribe the breed more deistic characteristics like was fairly common before.

Now we know from a few months back Cadance is involved in events so they may be changing this in someway... but she still largely precludes a unified theory as it will need to have her particular exception to it.
    It's possible that the deity power exists independently from its wielder. There might have been others, such as whoever the "unicorns" were in the play that actually did the sun and moon raising. It could be that Celestia and Luna came into the power and are thus like deities now, but that the power itself is independent from them.

Also, recall that the only references in the show to alicorns have called them unicorns. So, just because the play tells us that the "unicorns" controlled the sun and moon doesn't mean there weren't any alicorns around back then. It's just really unlikely it was Celestia and Luna because they seem way to nice to withhold their services from the pegasi and earth ponies. Though, then again, maybe Celestia mellowed out over her thousand years of rule.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

10. - Top - End - #1270

Alternate theory: Alicorns draw power from their special talent. For example, Celestia draws power and vitality from the sun; this is why she and Luna are so long-lived and so powerful. They've got millenia of power stored up, and no real occasion to use it.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Alternate theory: Alicorns draw power from their special talent. For example, Celestia draws power and vitality from the sun; this is why she and Luna are so long-lived and so powerful. They've got millenia of power stored up, and no real occasion to use it.
    So, Celestia is Cyclops, from X-men, only what he would be if he lived for ages? I like it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #1272

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, Celestia is Cyclops, from X-men, only what he would be if he lived for ages? I like it.
    Other things this theory explains:

a) difference between Season 1 Luna and Season 2 Luna. After the ordeal with the purification by the Elements, Luna was left with very little power. Thus, she reverted to her less powerful, normal-sized original form. After almost a year of absorbing moonlight, she returned to her former, powerful glory.

b) Cadence is a young alicorn. She hasn't done much, and hasn't absorbed much love. However, we can observe that when given the appropriate supply, she can use it to great effect.

Faults: Celestia was Warf'd by about a month's worth of love. Possible explanation is that love is just that good, but I don't think it would cut it against a millenium of sunlight.

Fault 2: Season three shall destroy all fanon.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Alien Base-3

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Celestia,

We really have to stop getting shot. I know we've only got minor injuries and should be checked out tomorrow but why does it seem that we only meet inside the infirmary? You of course were shot by surprise when we were tracking down the last of the resistance inside the base. I was stuck infront of two of the newly dubbed 'Mutons' and put up a force field that didn't quite hold. Still 4 out of 5 isn't bad!

Gilda wasn't kidding though, these Mutons can take a lot of abuse before they die. On the other hand they don't have any psionic abilities and so far that's proven the most dangerous to us. Besides the Mutons they also had what I can only describe as floating tumors. We gunned them down, more because they creeped us out then any sense of danger.

Trixie had a field day, getting into multiple gun fights, taking down enemy soldiers and even seized the command center! Her efforts even managed to keep our tank running, though damaged. This base was in Australia which explains why they surrendered. A shame we didn't spot it earlier in fact. Hopefully with time they'll recover but I doubt that will be anytime soon.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    S3 Villain:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am so looking forward to the slashfic between Somber and Discord. :P
    Spoiler
    Show
    *puts a hoof over your mouth*

Shhh! Don't say that online! Once the internet hears this stuff, it will make it happen!
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-10-13 at 03:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

It's called inherited traits

You know, like difference in size and pretty fur between Maine Cooon and common backyard cat :P

Big problem with this is just how easily Chrysalis beat Celestia, and frankly, we never saw Celestia do anything special. She couldn't handle Discord or Nightmare Moon either, she didn't do anything about dragon or Kong Spike - the only thing we ever see her cast is opening a lock. Yes, it's technically possible Celestia's power is tied in 99% in moving the sun, but for all we know, unicorns of old did it just as effortlessly. Even Rarity so far performed far greater feats of magic, to say nothing of Trixie or Twilight.

Even the above 99% theory is extremely dubious, as Celestia took over the Moon too like it was nothing, and now that the Luna is back to move it she doesn't use the surplus for anything - hmm, maybe fan theory saying Moon/Sun in Equestria are just like ours and Unicorns/Alicorns are simply running a scam was right after all

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    S3 speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had same idea for a pic for the longest time ^^

Would also explain Celestia's/Cadence's manes, and actually make Discord look scary for once, unlike what MLP writers did show us.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Also, recall that the only references in the show to alicorns have called them unicorns. So, just because the play tells us that the "unicorns" controlled the sun and moon doesn't mean there weren't any alicorns around back then. It's just really unlikely it was Celestia and Luna because they seem way to nice to withhold their services from the pegasi and earth ponies. Though, then again, maybe Celestia mellowed out over her thousand years of rule.
    The problem is that the writers said they were calling them pegacorns, until they saw 'alicorn' - the only place we see that calls them unicorns is, IIRC, Twilights book, probably written by unicorn (only truly literate species...) which might have been biased like that.

Also, if the writers really adopted 'alicorn' I'll facepalm, this word really doesn't mean what first adopters thought it means
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Big problem with this is just how easily Chrysalis beat Celestia, and frankly, we never saw Celestia do anything special. She couldn't handle Discord or Nightmare Moon either, she didn't do anything about dragon or Kong Spike - the only thing we ever see her cast is opening a lock. Yes, it's technically possible Celestia's power is tied in 99% in moving the sun, but for all we know, unicorns of old did it just as effortlessly. Even Rarity so far performed far greater feats of magic, to say nothing of Trixie or Twilight.

Even the above 99% theory is extremely dubious, as Celestia took over the Moon too like it was nothing, and now that the Luna is back to move it she doesn't use the surplus for anything - hmm, maybe fan theory saying Moon/Sun in Equestria are just like ours and Unicorns/Alicorns are simply running a scam was right after all
    I think Tony Stark and Dr. Yinsen won't mind if I combine their lines into a single quote.

"That thing can run your heart for fifty lifetimes... or something big for fifteen minutes."

I hope that explains my take on the explanation eloquently enough.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

S3 fragment in HD quality...
    Very nice! I like the bit where.... wait a sec...

Quote Originally Posted by My Litte Pony Facebook Page
    Coming Soon: Experience Ponyville like never before with the official My Little Pony Game!

Play fun mini-games, meet all your favorite ponies, & share the magic with your friends!

Speaking of official, four textless pages from the new comic have been revealed. I am SO looking forward to this! Pics embeded below
    Spoiler
    Show

My thoughts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Some kind of mind-control story perhaps? Some of the ponies are acting strange with weird eyes, not unlike Shiny in the last S2 episode.

I spotted Screwball! :D

Edit: Page four, middle left. Blue Brothers ponies. YES.

Also, this...
    Spoiler
    Show

Is just going to be taken out of context, isn't it?

Uh, anyway, random S3 thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, remember that pic of the DVD cover where the mane 6 had crystal eye highlights? We now know for sure that the crystal ponies have the crystal eyes. So, what's the deal with the cover? Are they crystal pony changelings? Are the crystal ponies (there's gotta be a way to shorten that. CPs? CryPon? C Ponies? Oh, maybe not.) going to covert the mane 6? Perhaps being in the crystal kingdom slowly transforms one into crystal?
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-10-13 at 05:30 AM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

18. - Top - End - #1278

The problem is that the writers said they were calling them pegacorns, until they saw 'alicorn' - the only place we see that calls them unicorns is, IIRC, Twilights book, probably written by unicorn (only truly literate species...) which might have been biased like that.
    Also Twilight talking about Cadance.

Additionally, your biases are showing. I am unaware of any valid reason to suppose that any given character is (either functionally or truly) illiterate, nor that unicorns have any higher rate of literacy or education than either other race.

Also, if the writers really adopted 'alicorn' I'll facepalm, this word really doesn't mean what first adopters thought it means
    This has come up before. Thing is, there is no single word in common parlance that expresses the idea of "horse with wings and magic horn". So what's the problem with repurposing a vaguely relevant word that doesn't get a lot of use? It's a bit like, oh, "computer", which was used in pre-electronic times to mean people who would sit and do calculations.
    Last edited by Kd7sov; 2012-10-13 at 06:31 AM.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    This has come up before. Thing is, there is no single word in common parlance that expresses the idea of "horse with wings and magic horn". So what's the problem with repurposing a vaguely relevant word that doesn't get a lot of use? It's a bit like, oh, "computer", which was used in pre-electronic times to mean people who would sit and do calculations.
    Exactly.

Besides, given that "alicorn" generally refers to the horn, why can't the Equestrian entemology refer to the fact that the Princesses have larger and more powerful/magical horns?

Also, if by first adopters, Trixie, do you mean Piers Antony in 1984...? A cursory wiki examination shows that "alicorn" has been used - as a nonstandard usage, granted - to refer to winged unicorns in more than one work of literature in the last thirty years, well before bronies, so really all pony has done as popularise it.

And unlike the other (ugly-looking and sounding) portmandeaus of unicorn and pegasus, alicorn is at least a real word. (And alicorn's usage in this context predates them too.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-13 at 06:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I think Tony Stark and Dr. Yinsen won't mind if I combine their lines into a single quote.

"That thing can run your heart for fifty lifetimes... or something big for fifteen minutes."

I hope that explains my take on the explanation eloquently enough.
    But the problem here is Celestia according to fans is doing it backwards: "My power can run something huge for millennium - or very little for five minutes." Which frankly doesn't make sense at all...

Also Twilight talking about Cadance.
    Headcanon - Unicorns think themselves so far above others calling someone unicorn is highest mark of approval

Or maybe Twilight Cadance being unicorn was offhand remark that was supposed to flow freely and indicate her similarity to Shining, it certainly wasn't her trying to be scientifically accurate. Also, technically, S1 opening refers to them as 'regal sisters' using 'unicorn powers' so it's not like any authority called winged pegasus 'unicorn' specifically just yet.

Because the word they used had for time immemorial very specific meaning - unicorn horn?

It's like calling flying car "wheel" or calling quantum computer "printer" after one outlying part - you want new word, you should make one or repurpose something that makes sense, not take word you think looks good because you don't understand it and you didn't bothered to look what it actually means.

there's gotta be a way to shorten that.
    We don't shorten earth ponies. Or do we?

About comic:

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know. I'm unsure about artstyle (good, but doesn't seem to fit MLP) - but the fact the pages/covers seem to be badly glued pile of fanon stuff and references is worrying. I don't mind one or the other, but done with taste, not like artist took normal page and, being paid for fanon added, slapped some on haphazardly. I don't know, Blues Brother ponies seem to be most normal and least forced element on their page.

Eh, I'll wait till we can read it and reserve judgement till then.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

21. - Top - End - #1281

It's like calling flying car "wheel" or calling quantum computer "printer" after one outlying part - you want new word, you should make one or repurpose something that makes sense, not take word you think looks good because you don't understand it and you didn't bothered to look what it actually means.
    Did you know that the word "print" originally meant "impression"? From the Latin premere, "to press". I doubt your quantum computer's printer does any kind of pressing.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Did you know that the word "print" originally meant "impression"? From the Latin premere, "to press". I doubt your quantum computer's printer does any kind of pressing.
    Yes, it does - fires supersonic dots of ink or lasers on page, leaving impressions. Not to mention impact printers I grew with

Also, my point was printer not does computing, nor wheel flying, exactly like winged unicorns defining trait being wings, not horn.

Besides, given that "alicorn" generally refers to the horn, why can't the Equestrian entemology refer to the fact that the Princesses have larger and more powerful/magical horns?
    Would you call humans 'fingers'?

Their defining trait is not only not horn, but wings, but also their horns are not that special - Blueblood, IIRC, has horn longer than both Cadance and Luna, only slightly smaller than Celestia itself.

Also, if by first adopters, Trixie, do you mean Piers Antony in 1984...? A cursory wiki examination shows that "alicorn" has been used - as a nonstandard usage, granted - to refer to winged unicorns in more than one work of literature in the last thirty years, well before bronies, so really all pony has done as popularise it.
    I actually read that book - and in it, it's off hand term used in obscure magic setting that evolved independently from modern earth and where language difference is big plot point through the series. Seeing MLP uses modern English vocabulary, it IMHO makes as much sense as calling unicorns 'Jedi' because they can do telekinesis and mind tricks too.

And unlike the other (ugly-looking and sounding) portmandeaus of unicorn and pegasus, alicorn is at least a real word. (And alicorn's usage in this context predates them too.)
    Yes. It's a real word that in alchemical context means unicorn horn cut/powdered and for sale. Unless we assume ponies have no problems with doing so (after all, Rarity filed hers...) it brings as much unfortunate implications to pony mind as calling someone's backside sirloin steak.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Troll in the Playground

Also, my point was printer not does computing, nor wheel flying, exactly like winged unicorns defining trait being wings, not horn.
    Alicorn is a portmanteau: Ali- is a common English prefix that comes from the latin "ala", wing. -Corn comes strait of Latin - "cornus", horn. Alicorn literally means wing-horn. If anything, the alchemists were using the word wrong.

And really, emphasis on the were using it. There aren't any alchemists about, so the word has effectively entered the semantic Public Domain and can be taken up and changed by anyone who comes across it.
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

My personal headcannon is that alicorns are immortal, but Cadance's immortality, unlike that of her aunts, works as a continual reincarnation cycle, which allows her to experience love with regular ponies during each of her individual lifetimes.

As for Celestia's...less than stellar combat record, I explain that as A) Nightmare Moon's power having been greatly enhanced by her transformation, B) Discord is simply too powerful for anything short of the Elements of Harmony, and C) Celestia held too much of her power back when fighting Chrysalis due to her being in the middle of Canterlot (i.e. Celestia's combat power comes in two settings; regular unicorn and dragon slave-esq destruction, with nothing inbetween).
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    As for Celestia's...less than stellar combat record, I explain that as A) Nightmare Moon's power having been greatly enhanced by her transformation, B) Discord is simply too powerful for anything short of the Elements of Harmony, and C) Celestia held too much of her power back when fighting Chrysalis due to her being in the middle of Canterlot (i.e. Celestia's combat power comes in two settings; regular unicorn and dragon slave-esq destruction, with nothing inbetween).
    My assumption is that in the former case, she didn't want to hurt Luna, and as with the later incidents, Celestia is afraid of her own power. My headcanon is that - after a thousand years of raising both stellar bodies and running the country single-hoofedly - she's basically WAAY high level because that the thousand extra years of experience puts her well beyond Luna in terms of power (or at least application of said power if not raw strength).

But, because of the things she's had to do to protect the ponies, especially during the early years of Luna's banishment, she's completely terrified of letting loose, and she just can't bring herself to unleash her full power, because of what she thinks she might do unintentionally - or even intentionally, lost in a battle-rage.

And that mental block (and their attendant psychological issues) is what the problem is. It's compounded by the fact she wants the ponies to be able to grow and stand up for themselves, meaning she tries to take a more hooves-off approach anyway (and because at the back of her mind, she's not sure she can trust herself with all that power). All this means she hasn't let her full power out in centuries, and it would take a particularly horrible emotional event for her to circumnavigate those barriers and realise that she can handle her powers, safely, and without losing herself or her perspective and realise that she does have the maturity and strength of character now to take a more active role, because she would know when to stop.

Of course, she has never told anyone about this, for political reasons and because she's never really had a confident or equal while Luna has been banished (and a thousand years of habit are hard to break even with her sister back.)

(This line of thinking was even a nominal plot point in that fanfic I'll likely never write.)

Edit: Changing the subject completely, my sister's rabbit disappeared the other night, and today her husband found some fur which suggests foxes got at her. The rabbit was a combination birthday and wedding present from my other sister; and it's particularly sad since she was a rescue rabbit, and the baby rabbit she had with her had to be put down because of ill-health. My sister is understandably feeling a bit low at the moment. Perhaps ponythread could suggest some pictures which I could send to her to cheer her up a bit?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-13 at 08:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1286

I was just archive bingeing on the thread...

This Ribeiro guy wins. Epicly. Period.
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Troll in the Playground

We don't shorten earth ponies. Or do we?
    No, I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    My personal headcannon is that alicorns are immortal, but Cadance's immortality, unlike that of her aunts, works as a continual reincarnation cycle, which allows her to experience love with regular ponies during each of her individual lifetimes.
    I like this. Headcanon accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Edit: Changing the subject completely, my sister's rabbit disappeared the other night, and today her husband found some fur which suggests foxes got at her. The rabbit was a combination birthday and wedding present from my other sister; and it's particularly sad since she was a rescue rabbit, and the baby rabbit she had with her had to be put down because of ill-health. My sister is understandably feeling a bit low at the moment. Perhaps ponythread could suggest some pictures which I could send to her to cheer her up a bit?
    Some Fluttershy and Angel pictures perhaps? Or would that be a little insensitive? (large image)
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

28. - Top - End - #1288

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Very nice! I like the bit where.... wait a sec...

Speaking of official, four textless pages from the new comic have been revealed. I am SO looking forward to this! Pics embeded below
    Spoiler
    Show

My word. That appears to the Pinkie Pie, with her mane styled like that of Rarity, firing a cake-cannon into a mass of changelings.

I am excited for this comic on this premise alone.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Yeah it does sure beat 'pegacorn' which is about the only thing other then alicorn I've heard using a single word.

30. - Top - End - #1290

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Wow, that's a ton of fanon references mashed together on one page. Please the fandom and all, but I hope the comic doesn't go overboard.
    Also, I want the comic just to see why Pinkie Pie has Rarity's manestyle.

How about "Unicogasus"? >:D
    Last edited by Dirtytabs; 2012-10-13 at 01:59 PM.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.