New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIV:E Long and Pony!

I used to use Unisus. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Alicorn is a portmanteau: Ali- is a common English prefix that comes from the latin "ala", wing. -Corn comes strait of Latin - "cornus", horn. Alicorn literally means wing-horn. If anything, the alchemists were using the word wrong.
    Huh. All this time I was thinking it was a portmanteau of "All" and "Unicorn." Okay, new thing learned for the day, I don't need to do any more additional learning.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    How about "Unicogasus"? >:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I used to use Unisus. xD
    *facehoof*

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Firbolg in the Playground

On the topic for the Princess species: Alicorn simply sounds better than Pegacorn or any other clunky alternitive. It's a bit like saying young dragons cannot be called Drakes because Dragonling or Hatchling is more "proper".

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    As for Celestia's...less than stellar combat record, I explain that as A) Nightmare Moon's power having been greatly enhanced by her transformation, B) Discord is simply too powerful for anything short of the Elements of Harmony, and C) Celestia held too much of her power back when fighting Chrysalis due to her being in the middle of Canterlot (i.e. Celestia's combat power comes in two settings; regular unicorn and dragon slave-esq destruction, with nothing inbetween).
    I would put it into terms like this: You either order the battleship docked outside to fire, or you can fire a handgun. Are you realy going to order the battleship to fire when your in a room with a few hundred ponies to squash a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    My word. That appears to the Pinkie Pie, with her mane styled like that of Rarity, firing a cake-cannon into a mass of changelings.

I am excited for this comic on this premise alone.
    Just look at the faces. My gosh, I expect memes flowing from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    On the topic for the Princess species: Alicorn simply sounds better than Pegacorn or any other clunky alternitive.
    Oh, that reminds me. Ponycorns.

I would put it into terms like this: You either order the battleship docked outside to fire, or you can fire a handgun. Are you realy going to order the battleship to fire when your in a room with a few hundred ponies to squash a bug?
    Um... Aren't you talking to the guy with the Orbital Friendship Cannon Network?

---

I... Don't see the big fannon deal in the comic pages? I mean, sure, that last picture has a lot of ponies on it, but that's just a splash page, it's not like there's anything else to do on that.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #1296

Oi, pushing fanfic's here:

One of my all-time favorite fics is near it's end. Read it, love it, ect.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Some Fluttershy and Angel pictures perhaps?
    That ought to do nicely, ta! Mum tells me they went and bought a new baby rabbit today, called Sawdust (which they are keeping, for the moment, in the Conservatory). I'll email her them as a "welcome rabbit" thing instead...!

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

They're called "Alicorns" guys. :/
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    They're called "Alicorns" guys. :/
    Actually in series they are called "unicorns," the entire conversation is as of this moment a fannonfic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Alicorn is a portmanteau: Ali- is a common English prefix that comes from the latin "ala", wing. -Corn comes strait of Latin - "cornus", horn. Alicorn literally means wing-horn. If anything, the alchemists were using the word wrong.

And really, emphasis on the were using it. There aren't any alchemists about, so the word has effectively entered the semantic Public Domain and can be taken up and changed by anyone who comes across it.
    And this is why I love this thread. For awesome random facts of win.

Plus looking at the alternatives the rest just sound so bad. Alicorn sounds like a real word (being a real word and all ) as well as sounds appropriately regal. However I would find it highly amusing if the ponies of Equestria don't actually have a name for the Princess' species and we get a scene where ponies argue about the correct name for the species.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    However I would find it highly amusing if the ponies of Equestria don't actually have a name for the Princess' species and we get a scene where ponies argue about the correct name for the species.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

So, the first ever fan-made episode has been released.

Dusk's Dawn

The writing, acting, and animation are all somewhat stilted and clearly amateur, but the fact that this actually got made at all is a testament to the dedication of the community. On top of that, they do look like they have a story to tell and I'm curious to see where they go.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-13 at 04:29 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Troll in the Playground

Nitpick: after consulting Oxford English Dictionary:

ali-
    Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈalᵻ/ U.S. /ˈælə/
    Etymology:
    Zool. and Anat.
    Forming nouns and related adjectives relating to the ‘wings’ or lateral expansions of certain parts, esp. in the nostrils.
    So, Alicorn pretty much means nose-horn, that is, something fitting horn of Rhinoceros or Narwhal (which these actually were). While it is also related to wings, IMHO is still wrong

I wouldn't object if fans used latin for, say, 'flying horn', say, avicorn or fugacorn, but using real word that had different meaning (and one that would be squicky for ponies) just irks me. But I made my case, I guess I won't argue any further.

On the topic for the Princess species: Alicorn simply sounds better than Pegacorn or any other clunky alternitive. It's a bit like saying young dragons cannot be called Drakes because Dragonling or Hatchling is more "proper".
    You don't call young dragons drakes for the same reason you don't call young horses ponies. These are different things, thanks for proving my point

So, yes, it's better to let the enemy sink that battleship and enslave everyone forever instead of, I don't know, teleporting yourself and Chrysalis somewhere you can battle. Right?

And what exactly stopped Celestia with dealing with dragon on secluded mountain? House zoning laws? By that line of thinking, ancient unicorns had power far outstripping modern ones and could have simply willed the snow to go away by using tiny more fraction of it. Except, that didn't happen, and neither did ancient wars between 3 kinds of ponies ended with utter obliteration of pegasi and earth ponies

Sorry, Occam's razor, something fails to demonstrate its supposed powers for millennia, chances are it just doesn't have them as there is no proof whatsoever outside of shaky fanon the power even existed in first place.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

I like the simpler, but not shorter term "Winged Unicorn" myself. But as no-one else uses it, I've just re-appropriated it to suggest that there is some kind of difference between, say, Celestia/Luna and my OC's supporting character Joyreaper.

I don't even rate as an OC in my own right? Well, that's depressing.

I could kind of see a case to be made that a similar distinction could be made between Celestia/Luna and Cadence.
    Also, god, Season 3 spoiler dodging is pretty damn tricky round here, isn't it?

15. - Top - End - #1305

Obviously it's derived from al'Corn..... Wheel of Time referenece

Celestia al'Corn
    The Pony Reborn, Lady of the Morning, Princess of the Dawn, True Defender of the Light, She Who Comes with the Dawn, Chaoskiller.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-10-13 at 05:01 PM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

Prolly Raz Al Corn, founder of the league of shadows.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah for Celestia's power I would peg her as very powerful, as in above Twilight who can take on more changlings then the entire Royal Guard and win, but under the whole goddess who can bend reality. Also I would say she isn't very experienced in a fight. She's a clever and wise enough ruler to avoid conflict almost 100% of the time, and when it comes down to a fight she uses brute force to win, like she tried against Chyrsalis with her Solar Beam.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post

Celestia al'Corn
    The Pony Reborn, Lady of the Morning, Princess of the Dawn, True Defender of the Light, She Who Comes with the Dawn, Chaoskiller.
    Yes, and she must fight the evil Chaotic One:

Also known as Friendsbane, The Father of Tricks, Chocolate Rain Maker, Apple Blighter, and his true name that cannot be spoken aloud: Disi'cord

And his favored servant, Screwball also known as the Betrayer of Sense
    Every time someone presses the quote button on one of my posts I steal a very small part of their soul.

I have a Tumblr now. So that's cool.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah for Celestia's power I would peg her as very powerful, as in above Twilight who can take on more changlings then the entire Royal Guard and win, but under the whole goddess who can bend reality. Also I would say she isn't very experienced in a fight. She's a clever and wise enough ruler to avoid conflict almost 100% of the time, and when it comes down to a fight she uses brute force to win, like she tried against Chyrsalis with her Solar Beam.
    :O
    So THAT is why she lost!
    The sun wasn't shining bright
    So Celestia needed another round to charge her solar beam.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Prolly Raz Al Corn, founder of the league of shadows.
    Objection!

Silent Night, at one point, was once known as Ragu Al Ghoul. Which, effectivly, means there is a entire line of pasta-based antagonists that could be tapped.

So THAT is why she lost!
    She was also fighting a Bug/Dark type, so it was not realy effective anyway....
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-10-13 at 05:31 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Silent Night, at one point, was once known as Ragu Al Ghoul. Which, effectivly, means there is a entire line of pasta-based antagonists that could be tapped.
    Clearly pasta and corn must fight to the death.

She was also fighting a Bug/Dark type, so it was not realy effective anyway....
    True.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Obviously it's derived from al'Corn.....
    Apparently, AD&D second edition had a subspecies of unicorn called Alicorns. It doesn't say if they're winged unicorns, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn...%26_Dragons%29

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

So THAT is why she lost!
    Plus she was fighting against a (read's newest posts) Accursed ninja types!

Celestia should have had Rainbow Dash use Ariel Ace instead

Though my Season 3 wish is to see Celestia go all out on an opponent after that opponent hurts Twilight.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Apparently, AD&D second edition had a subspecies of unicorn called Alicorns. It doesn't say if they're winged unicorns, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn...%26_Dragons%29
    Nope. My sources tell me that the mentioned Alicorn merely had a more gnarled horn than the standard. The article mentioned DOES include a winged unicorn, however. The Unisus, (specifically called out as a unicorn / pegasus crossbread, too).

As well as a Sea-Unicorn that can shift between slightly watery looking unicorn, Sea-horse with horn and Narwhal, aparently. yeeeah.

25. - Top - End - #1315

Clearly pasta and corn must fight to the death.
    CORN FTW.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Plus she was fighting against a (read's newest posts) Accursed ninja types!

Celestia should have had Rainbow Dash use Ariel Ace instead

Though my Season 3 wish is to see Celestia go all out on an opponent after that opponent hurts Twilight.
    I approve of this desire. Totally not because it would provide fuel for Twilestia shipping.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Celestia al'Corn
    Its nice how well that worked.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Um... Aren't you talking to the guy with the Orbital Friendship Cannon Network?
    We never said Professor Boffinspark had that kind of restraint...or had any kind of restraint...or even knew what restraint is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    And what exactly stopped Celestia with dealing with dragon on secluded mountain? House zoning laws? By that line of thinking, ancient unicorns had power far outstripping modern ones and could have simply willed the snow to go away by using tiny more fraction of it. Except, that didn't happen, and neither did ancient wars between 3 kinds of ponies ended with utter obliteration of pegasi and earth ponies
    Regarding the dragon, my headcannon is that Celestia wants to try to ensure that dragons don't overrun Equestria out of respect for the ponies living there, and not simply because they're afraid of the local royalty.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Regarding the dragon, my headcannon is that Celestia wants to try to ensure that dragons don't overrun Equestria out of respect for the ponies living there, and not simply because they're afraid of the local royalty.
    Still doesn't quite help sending Twilight and her five young friends... but its one of the places the show really shouldn't be analyzed too deeply.

30. - Top - End - #1320

One question that has popped into my head:

Will the Main Six be able to keep Spike from consuming the Crystal Empire?
    Show