Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    To be completely honest.....I don't even remember writing the rest of that....... so your guess is as good as mine. I think I thought I was writing something else, which would have made sense......if I had actually wrote it.
    Brain temporarily disconnected from user.
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Proud child of the Enlightenment

    Drinking provokes nose-painting, sleep, and urine.

    "Roughly half of humanity is in denial regarding their own stupidity" (V.S.Ramachandran)

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Brain temporarily disconnected from user.
    Heh, exactly. Or as my brother-in-law would say, Pan-Dimensional Slippage.


    LGBTAIitp Ally

    Irish Avatar by Savannah

    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tak, Half-Orc Slayer
    Garr, Human Barbarian
    Thornin, Dwarf Fighter
    Samael, Elf Avenger
    Odin, Dwarven Cleric of Moradin
    Necia, Half-Orc Monk

    DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    I showed the picture KenderWizard made for me when I was in hospital in February. She looked at it for a long time and told me I was very, very lucky to have such friends. I agreed.

    *hugs*

    Also, this.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-10-02 at 01:55 PM.
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Proud child of the Enlightenment

    Drinking provokes nose-painting, sleep, and urine.

    "Roughly half of humanity is in denial regarding their own stupidity" (V.S.Ramachandran)

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her corner
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Sociopath? Did I miss something?
    I dated one once. I didn't know. It ended badly. Twice.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    golentan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bottom of a well

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I dated one once. I didn't know. It ended badly. Twice.
    Ouch. I'm sorry.
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Ninja_Grand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brook park OH.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    >go to lunch with LGBTsoc
    >meet exceptionally cute girl
    >hit it off with exceptionally cute girl
    >discover that exceptionally cute girl is bi
    >discover that exceptionally cute girl has a boyfriend
    >fml
    It happens girl, Even to me and I just got into the whole dating thing. (Not that im super young, just not that good looking.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    ION, I signed up to the poledancing lessons today! Only downside, the teacher remembers me from the party, and despite the fact I was very definitely in girl mode, expressed happiness at getting "another guy" to take the lessons. Within hearing of others, when I'm pretty sure no-one else had clocked me.
    If you were full girl mode, then why did she say "guy"? Kind of rude IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    *sets up Lixie trap with half a tonne of yuri magazines, a set of pink handcuffs and a small riding crop*
    You may cactch more then Lix....
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I showed the picture KenderWizard made for me when I was in hospital in February. She looked at it for a long time and told me I was very, very lucky to have such friends. I agreed.

    *hugs*

    Also, this.
    Well that is just one more step in the right way. CA baned it anyway.
    PBP sheet:here
    Dm Card
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    LGBTAitP
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Astrella's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Uh, well, at first, I didn't even tell them where we were going, just that I needed them to go somewhere with me. To which I expectedd concern and worry, but them agreeing to do so because I felt it was so important.

    But, that didn't exactly work out. They were convinced I had gotten myself wrapped up in some sort of money scam, or some other scheme, swindle, trick, or dupe of some sort, and they wouldn't even consider going until I gave them more information.

    Which I did last night. So, now they've agreed to go. But they're still being...difficult about it. They seem much more focused on how much it's costing me, and how far I have to drive, and why I'm not using my insurance, and why *insert random financial thing here*, rather than, you know, my mental wellbeing.

    On an amusing note, my mom, as per usual, tried repeatedly to guess what was going on. At one ponit she asked, "Is it sexual orientation? Do you think you're gay?" Luckily, I had already said I wasn't going to say anything else, so I was able to come back with, "I said I'm not saying anything else!" But I thought to myself, "Why, yes I am, just not in the way you think!"
    Hmm, all I can think of is that maybe since they don't really know what it's about they're focusing their worries on something that's more tangible for them. (Monies?)

    *offers hugs*

    I hope the appointment itself goes well! When is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Hooray! That's a good story! Wait, do you have a male roommate (or any roommate)? If so, that could get awkward for him rather fast. As far as them not getting it, I know how that works. Turns out, after I told my best friend, he had no idea what I was talking about. I was out of brainpower to answer any questions, so he went and looked it all up on his own. I bet people will be asking you about it. Hopefully you're cool with that. Spread the knowledge, right?

    But, back to the important business: Yay for you being you !
    Oh, no, dorm mates aren't really a thing here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    >go to lunch with LGBTsoc
    >meet exceptionally cute girl
    >hit it off with exceptionally cute girl
    >discover that exceptionally cute girl is bi
    >discover that exceptionally cute girl has a boyfriend
    >fml
    Aw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    ION, I signed up to the poledancing lessons today! Only downside, the teacher remembers me from the party, and despite the fact I was very definitely in girl mode, expressed happiness at getting "another guy" to take the lessons. Within hearing of others, when I'm pretty sure no-one else had clocked me.
    Mrr, that sounds really frustrating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I showed the picture KenderWizard made for me when I was in hospital in February. She looked at it for a long time and told me I was very, very lucky to have such friends. I agreed.

    *hugs*

    Also, this.
    Awwwwwwwww.
    What are your preferred pronouns?
    Nausicaa avatar by the wonderful Musashi~
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick274 View Post
    If you were full girl mode, then why did she say "guy"? Kind of rude IMO.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say rude......ignorant definitely, but you have to think, most people when they see a biological male in girl's clothing, don't automatically make the jump to, "They actually are, and are trying to be, a woman." Most people think, cross-dresser; not transgender. It is just an assumption they make in their heads.....and you know what assuming does.

    Of course, I am not saying it is right......more accidental idiocy.


    LGBTAIitp Ally

    Irish Avatar by Savannah

    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tak, Half-Orc Slayer
    Garr, Human Barbarian
    Thornin, Dwarf Fighter
    Samael, Elf Avenger
    Odin, Dwarven Cleric of Moradin
    Necia, Half-Orc Monk

    DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Astrella's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say rude......ignorant definitely, but you have to think, most people when they see a biological male in girl's clothing, don't automatically make the jump to, "They actually are, and are trying to be, a woman." Most people think, cross-dresser; not transgender. It is just an assumption they make in their heads.....and you know what assuming does.

    Of course, I am not saying it is right......more accidental idiocy.
    I'm pretty sure from what Helio told that this wasn't really him clocking her, but more "I already know you" messing up.
    What are your preferred pronouns?
    Nausicaa avatar by the wonderful Musashi~
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    wasn't really him clocking her
    Ok, going to totally show my dummy side, but clocking = talking to someone as if they are their biological gender?


    LGBTAIitp Ally

    Irish Avatar by Savannah

    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tak, Half-Orc Slayer
    Garr, Human Barbarian
    Thornin, Dwarf Fighter
    Samael, Elf Avenger
    Odin, Dwarven Cleric of Moradin
    Necia, Half-Orc Monk

    DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kindablue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    Ok, going to totally show my dummy side, but clocking = talking to someone as if they are their biological gender?
    "Clocking" is another way to say "reading someone as being transgendered."
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-10-02 at 03:00 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WarKitty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    *Squeek?*

    Spoiler
    Show
    D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    *tests knots*

    *unable to untie himself*

    Nope, I'm good.
    *tickles*

    Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    *Raises hand*
    *dyes lime green*
    Masked Mage thanks to smuchmuch!

    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I dated one once. I didn't know. It ended badly. Twice.
    Oh.
    Ohmy.

    Sorries.
    Due to Unforeseen Circumstances, I am on an erratic schedule.

    I will resume posting within a couple of days and will be trying to get some things moving again.

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Heliomance's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    I'm pretty sure from what Helio told that this wasn't really him clocking her, but more "I already know you" messing up.
    This (though the teacher is female). The last time she met me I was male, though trying for a certain degree of androgyny. At the moment I'm all girl though, and it was a little frustrating. From her I'd have been okay with it - perfectly understandable. It was just the fact the she accidentally outed me to everyone around. Though no-one reacted, so I'm not sure they even noticed.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by hotel_papa View Post
    I maintain that until I see a movie trailer where Patrick Stewart introduces himself as Mordenkainen, there never was and never will be a D&D movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by dixieboy View Post
    I am unable to respond due to the awesomness of seducing a god, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.

    Avatar by aravaincomprehensiblename

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her corner
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Oh.
    Ohmy.

    Sorries.
    I can go through my entire romantic history if you like. I'm pretty sure I can win most 'Nuh-uh, *I* had it worse!' contests.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ichneumon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Starting to write things down, I notice I'm once again lost in definitions and meanings. I always thought I understood what the different words like "transgender" and "transexual" mean, but maybe I don't. Anyone willing to explain the different labels to me, again?

    Now, I know there is a difference made between one's sexual orientation (if one's sexually interested in either males or females) and one's gender (whether one identifies as male or female). One's sex being whether one has the physical bits and one's gender being what one feels like inside. I always assumed this meant that transsexuals would want SRS and hormones etc, while a transgender person wouldn't per se. However, given that I've seen people who've gone through SRS and taking hormones identify as transgender, clearly this isn't how the label is used. What am I missing?

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Absol197's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arising
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    >go to lunch with LGBTsoc
    >meet exceptionally cute girl
    >hit it off with exceptionally cute girl
    >discover that exceptionally cute girl is bi
    >discover that exceptionally cute girl has a boyfriend
    >fml
    Oh, that's rough luck. It sounds exactly like my (attempted) dating history, and it sucks, I know!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    ION, I signed up to the poledancing lessons today! Only downside, the teacher remembers me from the party, and despite the fact I was very definitely in girl mode, expressed happiness at getting "another guy" to take the lessons. Within hearing of others, when I'm pretty sure no-one else had clocked me.
    Hooray for starting lessons! Sorries for accidentally being outed. Hopefully you're right, and not many people noticed. It definitely didn't sound purposeful, however; probably just ignorance. It's a learning opportunity!

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Hmm, all I can think of is that maybe since they don't really know what it's about they're focusing their worries on something that's more tangible for them. (Monies?)

    *offers hugs*

    I hope the appointment itself goes well! When is it?
    It's next Wednesday. We've got over a week to go. I'm hoping it goes well, too. I think that you're right about why they're focusing on money so much, actually, now that I think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Oh, no, dorm mates aren't really a thing here.
    Where is here, if I may ask?
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    Online version of my Avatar:the Roleplaying Game sourcebook! (Still a work in progress.)

    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    Starting to write things down, I notice I'm once again lost in definitions and meanings. I always thought I understood what the different words like "transgender" and "transexual" mean, but maybe I don't. Anyone willing to explain the different labels to me, again?

    Now, I know there is a difference made between one's sexual orientation (if one's sexually interested in either males or females) and one's gender (whether one identifies as male or female). One's sex being whether one has the physical bits and one's gender being what one feels like inside. I always assumed this meant that transsexuals would want SRS and hormones etc, while a transgender person wouldn't per se. However, given that I've seen people who've gone through SRS and taking hormones identify as transgender, clearly this isn't how the label is used. What am I missing?
    "Transsexual" is a poorly designed word, as all the other "x-sexual" words have to do with sexuality.
    In practice, there is no functional difference between "transsexual" and "transgender". You'll find different people using one or the other to mean the same thing.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Viking Bar Fight
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    I have to wonder if anyone has luck meeting people at LGBTsoc and the like with how often I've run into people bemoaning missed connections.

    And some groups try to differentiate between having gender dysphoria and going/having gone through SRS. Kind of surprised it's not in the OP's lexicon though to some extent, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WarKitty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    *stuff*
    Almost forgot! *pets Coidzor*
    Masked Mage thanks to smuchmuch!

    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    KenderWizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Oh, darn, I...uhm...actually forgot to post what I was going to post with all that quoting I've been doing. >.>

    -----

    Okay. So, was dorm floor meeting last night. Mostly to figure out some organizational stuff. I wanted to wear my girl top but I got super-self-conscious in the end so wore a hoodie over it. Tons of new people; all of them girls, which is amusing since last year my floor practically had no girls. So, introductions then cause of all the new people. Introduced myself as Lena and said that if they were wondering why I had a girl name it's cause I'm transgender. Conversation moved on quickly though cause more introductions and other stuff to do so I'm not 100 % sure if they completely got it. But I'm also listed as Lena on the mailing list now and on the sheet at the door which has the ring codes for the doorbell, so yay~
    Yay! Well done!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    ION, I signed up to the poledancing lessons today! Only downside, the teacher remembers me from the party, and despite the fact I was very definitely in girl mode, expressed happiness at getting "another guy" to take the lessons. Within hearing of others, when I'm pretty sure no-one else had clocked me.
    Damn, that's annoying, but I'd be surprised if many people paid much attention, and y'know, from the way you look, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them was like "Snigger, the teacher just totally called that girl a dude. Awkward!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I showed the picture KenderWizard made for me when I was in hospital in February. She looked at it for a long time and told me I was very, very lucky to have such friends. I agreed.

    *hugs*
    This made me smile on a bad day. You showed it to whom, your doctor?

    Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Astrella's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    Starting to write things down, I notice I'm once again lost in definitions and meanings. I always thought I understood what the different words like "transgender" and "transexual" mean, but maybe I don't. Anyone willing to explain the different labels to me, again?

    Now, I know there is a difference made between one's sexual orientation (if one's sexually interested in either males or females) and one's gender (whether one identifies as male or female). One's sex being whether one has the physical bits and one's gender being what one feels like inside. I always assumed this meant that transsexuals would want SRS and hormones etc, while a transgender person wouldn't per se. However, given that I've seen people who've gone through SRS and taking hormones identify as transgender, clearly this isn't how the label is used. What am I missing?
    Even sex is a lot more complicated than just what genitals someone has.

    The two terms have switched meanings at least once; and they're often used interchangeably, so I wouldn't fuss too much about which one you use. Transgender these days also sorta has a meaning of being an umbrella term for everyone who deviates from their assigned gender; while transsexual tends to be a bit more specific for people who do physical transition stuff. But since these labels are mostly self-applied it doesn't really matter that much. Use the one you feel best with.


    Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Where is here, if I may ask?
    Belgium~
    What are your preferred pronouns?
    Nausicaa avatar by the wonderful Musashi~
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    And some groups try to differentiate between having gender dysphoria and going/having gone through SRS. Kind of surprised it's not in the OP's lexicon though to some extent, haha.
    Oh yeah, and this. Some people try to define words depending on pre-/post-op. It's possible some even differentiate between whether or not the person is on HRT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Even sex is a lot more complicated than just what genitals someone has.

    The two terms have switched meanings at least once; and they're often used interchangeably, so I wouldn't fuss too much about which one you use. Transgender these days also sorta has a meaning of being an umbrella term for everyone who deviates from their assigned gender; while transsexual tends to be a bit more specific for people who do physical transition stuff. But since these labels are mostly self-applied it doesn't really matter that much. Use the one you feel best with.
    The whole thing has gotten really complicated. It makes it hard to discuss the medical aspects of things sometimes because if you try to say male-bodied some transwomen will disagree that they have male bodies.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Astrella's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    The whole thing has gotten really complicated. It makes it hard to discuss the medical aspects of things sometimes because if you try to say male-bodied some transwomen will disagree that they have male bodies.
    It's always been sorta complicated though. It's sorta the consequence of trying to put a complicated thing into a binary. Look at the way intersex people have been treated with regards to gender and what constitutes 'male' and 'female' is often really arbitrary.
    What are your preferred pronouns?
    Nausicaa avatar by the wonderful Musashi~
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Viking Bar Fight
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Oh yeah, and this. Some people try to define words depending on pre-/post-op. It's possible some even differentiate between whether or not the person is on HRT.
    Indeed, I imagine that might be part of why some people were like "nah, we're going to just go with trans* and accept that we'll have to explain our terminology a bit more often but there's less context-dependent miscommunication that can occur as a result."

    At least, if I'm remembering my hypothetical fever dreams of the past correctly.

    Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Almost forgot! *pets Coidzor*
    Hey, what are you doing!? Trying to ruin my thoroughly disreputable ima-*fwuffs*

    Oh my.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-02 at 05:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    I don't like "trans*" much myself because I expect a footnote.

    *Here it is if you're looking for it like I am.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    "Clocking" is another way to say "reading someone as being transgendered."
    Thank you!


    LGBTAIitp Ally

    Irish Avatar by Savannah

    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tak, Half-Orc Slayer
    Garr, Human Barbarian
    Thornin, Dwarf Fighter
    Samael, Elf Avenger
    Odin, Dwarven Cleric of Moradin
    Necia, Half-Orc Monk

    DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Viking Bar Fight
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I don't like "trans*" much myself because I expect a footnote.

    *Here it is if you're looking for it like I am.
    Indeed, that aspect still sticks in my craw, but I can at least see some angle for it... I think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Indeed, that aspect still sticks in my craw, but I can at least see some angle for it... I think...
    I totally support the reasoning behind it (inclusivity), I just don't like the use of an asterisk. If it were "trans-" or something instead, maybe. I dunno.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    This made me smile on a bad day. You showed it to whom, your doctor?
    My counsellor. She's a wonderful woman who has two cats, so she also understands everything about the comfort a warm feline can bring.
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Proud child of the Enlightenment

    Drinking provokes nose-painting, sleep, and urine.

    "Roughly half of humanity is in denial regarding their own stupidity" (V.S.Ramachandran)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •