New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    What're your shaving practices? Possible factors include but are not limited to:

- Water temperature. Hotter is better.
    I tried to make the water pretty hot. I'm guessing having to go over my legs with a buzzer first didn't help matters at all.
    - Razor sharpness and quality. The more times you have to go over your skin to cut the hair, the more irritating it will be.
    Not very sharp, so I'll keep that in mind. Does it matter what kind of razor I use?
    - The shaving... lubricant? you use. Soap works, but I find it makes me try. You can get moisturised and sensitive skin gel, which you might like to experiment with. I've also, oddly enough, had success using hair conditioner for it.
    I didn't really use anything, because I didn't have anything that seemed like it would function well on hand. This probably contributed to my problem quite a bit.

- Treatment afterwards. I've found I get dry skin after shaving unless I moisturise. Do you do anything like that?
    I used a decent amount of lotion afterwards.

- Any other chemicals involved. Could be the strips or cakes attached to the razor, your lubricant, your soap, anything else you put on it... Is there much stuff that comes into contact with your legs?
    Not really. Wasn't sure what to use in terms of lubricant, and pretty much only used a razor and buzzer. I also used Lotion afterwards because it seemed like a good idea.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Banned

So, it's national coming out day. And I was going to come out to my school's GSA yesterday, but... we were talking about our coming out stories ( I haven't yet) and every time I opened my mouth to begin my story, other people had already begun talking. I think I'm too shy for my own good...

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Not very sharp, so I'll keep that in mind. Does it matter what kind of razor I use?
    I don't know, honestly. I've heard that men can tell when someone's used their razor to shave their legs because it's immediately blunter, but I don't know whether that means much. I'm inclined to recommend the best razor you can afford, but that may just be the marketing industry getting to me.
    I didn't really use anything, because I didn't have anything that seemed like it would function well on hand. This probably contributed to my problem quite a bit.
    ACK! Criiiiiiinge
    Yeah, I think that could be your problem right there. You really, really need something. Some razors come with it in-built, but at the very least use some soap!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

ACK! Criiiiiiinge
    Yeah, I think that could be your problem right there. You really, really need something. Some razors come with it in-built, but at the very least use some soap!
    Alright. Anything I can do to hopefully speed up recovery on the legs?

5. - Top - End - #635

I'm not really up on skincare, I'm afraid. Keep lathering on the moisturiser and stuff, I suppose.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leona View Post
    So, it's national coming out day. And I was going to come out to my school's GSA yesterday, but... we were talking about our coming out stories ( I haven't yet) and every time I opened my mouth to begin my story, other people had already begun talking. I think I'm too shy for my own good...
    Well, there's always today! Go get 'em! You can do it! No time like the present! *insert whatever pithy motivational phrase you would find most effective*!

On that note, I never changed my "interested in" on Facebook after coming out to my friends. I might take the opportunity to do that today given the special occasion, but then again I really don't want to deal with the ensuing ****storm from the extended family right now. Hmm. Will have to think on that a bit more.

--------------------

Update on yesterday's situation:

My manager filed his complaint about the nurse, hasn't heard anything back yet. Probably won't for a bit, if at all.

Lunch was...unpleasant, but not as bad as I expected. Most of the people who'd said stuff in the past apologized and said they didn't mean it and wouldn't have said anything if they'd known there was "a gay" in the room, which was a pleasant surprise--I didn't bother to point out that they shouldn't have said any of that anyway because, y'know, common decency...but hey, baby steps. There were, however, two of them (the girl I mentioned before and one other) who decided to turn it into a religious/moral debate, and we had a small audience as I basically played Whack-a-Mole with their arguments for an hour or so.

I've had plenty of practice with that sort of debate () and it seemed like they didn't, so it went well. Having most of the people around be on my side for once was a very nice change of pace (yay California!), and while I doubt I changed their minds at all we're at least back on exchanging-idle-chitchat terms again. So, yay, crisis mostly averted unless the re-org that's going on gets one of them shuffled onto my team or vice versa, but that's down the line and not something to worry about right now.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know, honestly. I've heard that men can tell when someone's used their razor to shave their legs because it's immediately blunter, but I don't know whether that means much. I'm inclined to recommend the best razor you can afford, but that may just be the marketing industry getting to me.
    I can never tell if someone's used my razor on their legs. /shrugs And I've had both my sister and my current boyfriend use it for that purpose and had no clue till they told me.

ACK! Criiiiiiinge
    I used to use proper 'shaving soap' but now I just use regular soap. Just need to make sure I moisturise afterwards otherwise it's really dry. I've tried using shaving foam but it just tends to feel weird on my skin so I don't use it.

On shaving legs: Used to do it, shaving foam is better for it, but soap works generally too.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Jeez Asta, that's terrifying.
    Is it... safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    I don't have time to quote everybody who supported me and gave me motivational hugs, but thank you. To everyone.

I'll post up the play-by-play tomorrow, but suffice it to say, it went very well . We have some difficult things to talk about, my parents and I, but now we're all on the same page, which is nice.

Okay! Long day, I'mma go sleep now. Good night, y'all!

~Phoenix~
    Things are rarely as horrible as we think. Except when they are. It's good to hear that things went well. Sweet dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Thanks to everyone. xD And AK, no using tools that may or may not be deadly on my boyfie!
    I'm just asking if it's safe.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

The default response to "women get paid less or are less likely to get hired because they take time off for kids" is almost always "that is a good reason for women to get paid less or to not hire a woman". My response is "well men should get time off for kids too".
    Sorry for my late reaction, had little internet for some time... I'm not saying it's a good reason, but I am saying that, because of biological reasons, it happens that women take more time off then men. All I'm saying is that it could be the main reason and quite explainable.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

10. - Top - End - #640
    Banned

...SiuiS, your avatar fills me with all sorts of questions.
    Oh? Such as~?

It's a changeling from MLP: FiM. Technically, so was the last one.
    This is true XD

It's a changeling who looks like Rarity. I don't recall what the last one looked like.
    Mi Amore Cadenza's evil twin's glowing green eyes in the dark.

The questions that come to mind are
    -Is this an alternate universe Rarity?
    -Is this a changeling doing a bad imitation of Rarity?
    -Did Chrysalis take over the world and turn everypony else into Changelings?
    Those are less fun than I thought
    I believe it is the last one; someone did all the mane 6 as changelings based on their dominant coat color. I'm not sure if it's a "changelings win" story or not. They are in thread though. I'll find the link.

On a more relevant topic, my legs are so friggin' irritated after I've shaved them. This is very not pleasant. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.
    The soap you see Barbers lather and leave on the face soaks into the hair and softens it, makes it easier to cut while also helpin the blade drag vet your skin without issue. All razors are mechanically identical (blades at an angle) and usually the same blade as well. The differences are in blade count, pivot strength if there is one, and whether they have a moisturizing strip.

At the very least, buy a dollar bar of dove soap, and slick up your legs. As for how to tend it now, well... Go easy on the skin, drink plenty of fluids and be sure to shave again soon, so the skin doesn't get the same level of stress.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

That's good Dice. At least they were willing to apologize to you.

It's a start right?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #642

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Sorry for my late reaction, had little internet for some time... I'm not saying it's a good reason, but I am saying that, because of biological reasons, it happens that women take more time off then men. All I'm saying is that it could be the main reason and quite explainable.
    As I said, if that's true, then I think the correct response is to give men more time off to match it, not declare it acceptable. There are a number of countries where this is already available, so it's not as though it's impossible, and it's not exactly fair to the men, even, that women get all the time with their children.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-10-11 at 05:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Catching up on other posts as well...

ACK! Criiiiiiinge
    WEll it's not so much as "This razor has been used to shave [insert bodypart], it's more like someone besides me has used this raozr and now it shaves... different... (partially becuase every time shaving you blunt a part of the blades and shaving different parts blunts different areas on the blades). I can heavily recommend shaving soap/cream for a smoother process and less shaving wounds.
    snip
    The soap you see Barbers lather and leave on the face soaks into the hair and softens it, makes it easier to cut while also helpin the blade drag vet your skin without issue. All razors are mechanically identical (blades at an angle) and usually the same blade as well. The differences are in blade count, pivot strength if there is one, and whether they have a moisturizing strip.

At the very least, buy a dollar bar of dove soap, and slick up your legs. As for how to tend it now, well... Go easy on the skin, drink plenty of fluids and be sure to shave again soon, so the skin doesn't get the same level of stress.
    That's one excellent suggestion, I'd only like to add that using a warm soaked towel on the shaving are beforehand not only feels awesome, but yields the best results when it comes to shaving. This opens up the poresin the skin as well as make the hairs more flexible, done right the area will be smooth like a baby's buttoks

Antoher thing to do is to cool the skin after shaving with either a freezing cold wet tower, by rinsing in cold water (colder = better, it will close the wounds and ease the skin). For maximum results treat your skin with one of those eucalyptus based aftershaves. If you smear that on you'll have the idea you're oozing freshness

I advise against alcohol btw...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

14. - Top - End - #644
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Well, there's always today! Go get 'em! You can do it! No time like the present! *insert whatever pithy motivational phrase you would find most effective*!

On that note, I never changed my "interested in" on Facebook after coming out to my friends. I might take the opportunity to do that today given the special occasion, but then again I really don't want to deal with the ensuing ****storm from the extended family right now. Hmm. Will have to think on that a bit more.

--------------------

My manager filed his complaint about the nurse, hasn't heard anything back yet. Probably won't for a bit, if at all.

Lunch was...unpleasant, but not as bad as I expected. Most of the people who'd said stuff in the past apologized and said they didn't mean it and wouldn't have said anything if they'd known there was "a gay" in the room, which was a pleasant surprise--I didn't bother to point out that they shouldn't have said any of that anyway because, y'know, common decency...but hey, baby steps. There were, however, two of them (the girl I mentioned before and one other) who decided to turn it into a religious/moral debate, and we had a small audience as I basically played Whack-a-Mole with their arguments for an hour or so.

I've had plenty of practice with that sort of debate () and it seemed like they didn't, so it went well. Having most of the people around be on my side for once was a very nice change of pace (yay California!), and while I doubt I changed their minds at all we're at least back on exchanging-idle-chitchat terms again. So, yay, crisis mostly averted unless the re-org that's going on gets one of them shuffled onto my team or vice versa, but that's down the line and not something to worry about right now.
    Go you!
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

15. - Top - End - #645
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, I'm actually back now!

So here's how things went yesterday, for those of you who are interested:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The drive up went pretty well. We steered the conversation away from what was going to happen, so we didn't get that awkward pre-meeting stuff (I'm not sure what that would be like, but I'm sure it exists ). We did talk about politics, because that's one of my mom's favorite topics, and it's relevent in the States, with our election coming up.

We got to Boulder much earlier than we needed to, so I directed us to a little local coffee shop that I like.

Then, the actual meeting. At first, it looked like I was going to mess up. I was so scared and nervous. It took probably five minutes of me staring at the letter I had written, looking like an idiot, before I realized that that wasn't how I wanted to remember that moment, and that I wanted to say it myself. I blocked out as much as I could of my surroundings, and barreled through my letter (slowlyy enough to be understood, of course).

At first, at least with my mom, it looked like it was going to be a disaster. She kept saying that she could handle gay, but not this. My therapist really helped out, though, and I was able to get my brain back in gear and give some explainations.

My mom was really quiet during the car ride home, but by the end, she had calmed down, and explained that what she was most worried about was my job, and my being safe in a world that is, frankly, still a very scary place.

She still doesn't quite understand everything (when she asked about why I had been down on Sunday, and I explained it was about all the people I interact with not seeing me the way I want to be seen, she asked, "Why does that matter?"), but she at least seems like she's accepted it. She was happy last night, at least .

We'll see how it goes, but I have hope!

Also, I got to leave my door open for the first time in a while last night, so I got a visit from the black kitty fairy! He hogs the bed something fierce, but I don't really mind.

~Phoenix~
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-10-11 at 05:59 AM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

You have to remember it's something of the shock to find out that you've been wrong about your child's gender all along... what did your dad say?

And cats are awesome. Especially black cats. Although mine's getting gray.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

That's great news, Phoenix

So happy to hear that while, yes, it will be difficult your mum is at least trying to understand and she's thinking about you in a positive (protective) way

-

I've been getting hella crazy razorburn on the backs of my thighs. I'm figuring because it's an area that doesn't really get much rough treatment so is more sensitive.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Razorburn is one of the main reasons why I epilate, rather than shaving. Sure, it hurts more while doing it, and it takes ages, but it lasts an awful lot longer and there's less irritation afterwards.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

That's wonderful, Phoenix. I also am curious as to what your dad said.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #650
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    The drive up went pretty well. We steered the conversation away from what was going to happen, so we didn't get that awkward pre-meeting stuff (I'm not sure what that would be like, but I'm sure it exists ). We did talk about politics, because that's one of my mom's favorite topics, and it's relevent in the States, with our election coming up.

We got to Boulder much earlier than we needed to, so I directed us to a little local coffee shop that I like.

Then, the actual meeting. At first, it looked like I was going to mess up. I was so scared and nervous. It took probably five minutes of me staring at the letter I had written, looking like an idiot, before I realized that that wasn't how I wanted to remember that moment, and that I wanted to say it myself. I blocked out as much as I could of my surroundings, and barreled through my letter (slowlyy enough to be understood, of course).

At first, at least with my mom, it looked like it was going to be a disaster. She kept saying that she could handle gay, but not this. My therapist really helped out, though, and I was able to get my brain back in gear and give some explainations.

My mom was really quiet during the car ride home, but by the end, she had calmed down, and explained that what she was most worried about was my job, and my being safe in a world that is, frankly, still a very scary place.

She still doesn't quite understand everything (when she asked about why I had been down on Sunday, and I explained it was about all the people I interact with not seeing me the way I want to be seen, she asked, "Why does that matter?"), but she at least seems like she's accepted it. She was happy last night, at least .

Also, I got to leave my door open for the first time in a while last night, so I got a visit from the black kitty fairy! He hogs the bed something fierce, but I don't really mind.

~Phoenix~
    Fan~Tastic! That sounds about perfect. If you think about it, this is probably the best way someone could handle news which literally shatters their worldview. I'm glad it went so smooth.

Also! Kitty fair is best fairy (with apologies to Kenderfairies the world over; it was a close election! But the teacup crawled in my lap and purred :3)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I've been getting hella crazy razorburn on the backs of my thighs. I'm figuring because it's an area that doesn't really get much rough treatment so is more sensitive.
    It may be because the mechanics of getting your arms and legs into position is throwing off the angle of the razor. Do you have a swivel-head on it?

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations, Phoenix!

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    *adorable choir story*
    Good for you for speaking up!

Thanks to everyone. xD And AK, no using tools that may or may not be deadly on my boyfie!

And to clarify for KenderWizard (and probably everyone else /shrugs), 'bfm' means Blake for Max. (our names) Boyfriend of Mynxae does fit quite well though I might add..
    Oh, cuteness!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I just had a fantastic night out to the local gay club with LGBTsoc. Great fun. Got clocked a couple of times, sadly, but gay club, so no-one gave a damn. I actually got asked by one guy how long I'd been on hormones! Proper pronouns used all round, a really friendly atmosphere, a bit of judicious flirting, and a respectable quantity of alcohol all combined to make a really good time ^_^

Made a few new friends, too, though sadly nothing more :P
    Further awesomeness! Apparently yesterday was a good day for the Rainbows!

I hate when that happens!

Alright. Anything I can do to hopefully speed up recovery on the legs?
    Coconut oil. Soothes any kind of skin irritation. I use it on lips, post-welt insect bite rashes (I have allergic reactions to mosquitoes), and eczema rashes. It's a mild anti-inflammatory and a mild anti-septic, and it's also a nice moisturising oil, and it's really a food, so there's nothing in there that's bad for your body.

Good on you! I hope things continue to improve.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

22. - Top - End - #652
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    You have to remember it's something of the shock to find out that you've been wrong about your child's gender all along... what did your dad say?

That's great news, Phoenix

So happy to hear that while, yes, it will be difficult your mum is at least trying to understand and she's thinking about you in a positive (protective) way
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    That's wonderful, Phoenix. I also am curious as to what your dad said.
    Fan~Tastic! That sounds about perfect. If you think about it, this is probably the best way someone could handle news which literally shatters their worldview. I'm glad it went so smooth.

Also! Kitty fair is best fairy (with apologies to Kenderfairies the world over; it was a close election! But the teacup crawled in my lap and purred :3
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Congratulations, Phoenix!

Thanks for everything, guys! You're all awesome!

My dad (step-dad, technically; I'll have to do the real dad/step-mom around Christmas ) was a bit more level-headed, as is typical for him. He definitely seemed worried (his company, JP Morgan chase, where he's a regional big-wig, helped sponser a local pride parade about three months or so ago, and he remembered that the statistics involving trans people were much more troubling than those for gay/lesbian people), and that was the big thing with him.

All in all, I think the future is looking brighter!

Zorg, weren't you going to come out to your dad sometime soon? I hope that goes well, it sounds like it will be difficult to begin with...

~Phoenix~
    I keep forgetting to do the signature thing, so I have to go back and edit it in...>_< I'm just not used to doing it yet!
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-10-11 at 07:48 AM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

23. - Top - End - #653
    Firbolg in the Playground

On a more relevant topic, my legs are so friggin' irritated after I've shaved them. This is very not pleasant. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.
    Serps has commented on this, but I'll throw in my two coppers anyway.
    Try some sort of shaving cream/gel/soap/lubricant. Definitely important. Make sure you shave with the grain, also important, and if necessary, perpendicular to it, but save a pass antiparallel until there's no other choice. Soak in hot hot water first, which I think you got. Depending on the quality of your razors and the thickness of your hair, you might want to use a new disposable razor every time. I know if I shaved my legs it would basically kill a disposable razor like the ones my mum uses. Not sure about after-shaving treatment, but I usually put a cool cloth over my throat after I finish to soothe it a little, because shaving there is a pain because the hair just sticks in all different directions.
    You could also try an epilator, though you should balance immediate discomfort (the epilator smarts) with tomorrow's discomfort. I don't know which is more likely to cause ingrown hairs, but I'd guess a razor, especially shaving against the grain.

On a slightly related note, ingrown hairs are a *****, especially depending on where they happen. But let's not go into that, it's private.

Oh hey, so it is. Pity I don't know people. Best advice: Just go for it. If you start talking just as somebody else does, one of you will back down, and if you don't end up going first, there's a fair chance they'll defer to you next because you'd already started.

Well, that didn't turn out too bad. Best of luck.

As I said, if that's true, then I think the correct response is to give men more time off to match it, not declare it acceptable. There are a number of countries where this is already available, so it's not as though it's impossible, and it's not exactly fair to the men, even, that women get all the time with their children.
    But obviously taking care of children is women's work. Duh. Men are emotionless money-makers, not parents.

Spoiler
    Show

~Phoenix~
    Sounds pretty good. Congrats on coming out. Best of luck with their adjustment.

Yeah, especially if they don't understand transsexuality and whatnot. People are uncomfortable with new things and with things they don't understand.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-10-11 at 07:57 AM.
    Jude P.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

If I had a kid and ze came out as transgender, I'd be worried sick. Depression rates, suicide rates, exposure to violence and threats are all through the roof compared to the cisgender populations... I'd support hir, but I wouldn't be exactly calm about it. There is very real cause for worry.

― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siuis
    It may be because the mechanics of getting your arms and legs into position is throwing off the angle of the razor. Do you have a swivel-head on it?
    I do have a swivel head but it's still a possibility. Food for thought certainly and something to be careful of. I'm shaving instead of epilating so I can use a "laser beam" to turn my legs "silky smooth".

Zorg, weren't you going to come out to your dad sometime soon? I hope that goes well, it sounds like it will be difficult to begin with...
    Firstly, glad your Dad is grounded. Yeah, still need to do that in the near future. Difficulty is getting time to go see him interstate that coincides with my work (just had two managers resign and a third might also be walking!) and his medication schedule (he has two weeks of happy pills and two weeks of crazy pills).
    Blarg, all this complicated scheduling makes my head hurt sometimes.

And since you've been a good girl

Spoiler
    Show
    Now with bonus $3 shoes! Need to get me some yellow chucks or the boot style ones ('or' she says, knowing she'll get both...)

Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Barbarian in the Playground

EDIT:

Thanks for everything, guys! You're all awesome!

My dad (step-dad, technically; I'll have to do the real dad/step-mom around Christmas ) was a bit more level-headed, as is typical for him. He definitely seemed worried (his company, JP Morgan chase, where he's a regional big-wig, helped sponser a local pride parade about three months or so ago, and he remembered that the statistics involving trans people were much more troubling than those for gay/lesbian people), and that was the big thing with him.

All in all, I think the future is looking brighter!

~Phoenix~
    I keep forgetting to do the signature thing, so I have to go back and edit it in...>_< I'm just not used to doing it yet!
    Sounds like things went about as well as they could possibly go. I hope you and your parents can get through talking about what you need to. Sorry I'm late in offering you congratulations. Seems like you did a great job, I think my throat might have just seized up if I had been in your place.

Oh and that happens to me with the name thing all the time

~Laura
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    ... pregnancy (which almost exclusively happens to women)...
    I agree with basically everything you said but that little bit of inclusiveness made me really happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I just had a fantastic night out to the local gay club with LGBTsoc. Great fun. Got clocked a couple of times, sadly, but gay club, so no-one gave a damn. I actually got asked by one guy how long I'd been on hormones! Proper pronouns used all round, a really friendly atmosphere, a bit of judicious flirting, and a respectable quantity of alcohol all combined to make a really good time ^_^

Made a few new friends, too, though sadly nothing more :P
    Neat; glad you had a great time!

*snip*
    Ugh, still really frustrating that the whole debate had to take place; but I'm glad there's been a decent amount of damage control at least.

*snip*
    I'm really really glad it went well, Phoenix. Also congratulations at making such a big step.

If I had a kid and ze came out as transgender, I'd be worried sick. Depression rates, suicide rates, exposure to violence and threats are all through the roof compared to the cisgender populations... I'd support hir, but I wouldn't be exactly calm about it. There is very real cause for worry.
    I think one thing to watch out for if your child comes out to you as trans is to not put that first. Like, your child is probably well aware of that too and I think it's important that they get acceptance first especially for something as stressy as this and that the concerns are saved for later.

*snip*
    Those are awesome.

-----

I also have pictures, sorta. My therapist (not psychiatrist) appointment went really well yesterday and he congratulated me on my progress and I also went in a lot more femme-y than usually and I just felt really happy about it in general so I rewarded myself with some nail polish:

Spoiler
    Show

Also does anyone here follow Rain; cause the last update:
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-10-11 at 09:01 AM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Wow so much to read through!! Least it keeps work from getting boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfm1991 View Post
    Here I am. How are you meant to see if i am worthy of the almighty Mynxae. LOL
    A Challenger Appears........
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    What would a dream that one's ex came out as gay mean?
    Probably that the taco you ate for dinner isn't sitting well with you.....
    ...SiuiS, your avatar fills me with all sorts of questions.
    ......as well as other emotions that are deeply confusing.....
    A wonderful Story

~Phoenix~
    That is amazing and I can't say how happy I am to hear that it all went well. Every time love is shared it fills my heart with hope that maybe...... possibly, this world is getting better, rather than getting worse. Baby Steps.......

~Matthew~
    Because I want a cool signature too!!!!
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-10-11 at 09:12 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

If only there was some automatic function you could set to post the same text beneath your posts every time... a signature if you will

@ Astrella - that's a really nice colour
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    I think one thing to watch out for if your child comes out to you as trans is to not put that first. Like, your child is probably well aware of that too and I think it's important that they get acceptance first especially for something as stressy as this and that the concerns are saved for later.
    Yes, and apart from acknowledging the new gender, I would try to keep everything as near business as usual as possible. And obviously, if someone messes with my kid they mess with me.

But I'd still worry.

― Tim Fargo