New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I don't know. Generally, when I get down about that kind of thing, there isn't anything that makes me feel better, except an indeterminate amount of time.
    Fair enough. Though unfortunately, not going into it specifically would probably tie into her other issues...

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

(eyeroll)
    xD
    While I'd like to clarify I'm fine at the moment, there is no paragraph that can precede anything along those lines that will mitigate it. xD

I don't know. Generally, when I get down about that kind of thing, there isn't anything that makes me feel better, except an indeterminate amount of time.
    Very true and I very much understand that. Words are generally just that, and hearing the same ones over and over does tend to wear on you. I can only say that there is hope, little Lixie. Never let hope die, even if there is only a little bit left. And with that:
    MOAR LIXIE SNUGGLES!!!!

~Matthew~
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Fair enough. Though unfortunately, not going into it specifically would probably tie into her other issues...
    Sorry. If ever someone manages to say something that does help, I'll tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    Very true and I very much understand that. Words are generally just that, and hearing the same ones over and over does tend to wear on you. I can only say that there is hope, little Lixie. Never let hope die, even if there is only a little bit left. And with that:
    MOAR LIXIE SNUGGLES!!!!
    Great, hope. With that and a fiver, I can go out for fish and chips.
    (hugs)
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2012-10-18 at 05:42 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry. If ever someone manages to say something that does help, I'll tell you?
    It's fine. And sure, that sounds good.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So... Obviously, this person:

is an idiot, and other things less pleasant. That is not something I'm disputing, or feel should be disputed.

But was anyone else bothered by this response to said idiot (specifically the 'male-bodied' bit, since the rest seems accurate enough):

?
    Spoiler
    Show

Such is flaming. :/ You'd have no more luck making serious inroads against that kind of statement than you would in eliminating the general practice of flaming and trolling from humanity.

As for what to do other than eschew the comments section of half of the internet or become inured to most of human depravity... I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    In other news, this is pretty neat. (Well, the policy, not the complaints. :s )
    That's interesting, but I dislike that the blog takes the exact same stance as the group they protest against. "LOok at them, disparaging an ignoring our statistics and proof, while assuming their own proof is perfect and don't need to explain it. They are totally being the jerks here and we should shun them, am I right?"
    There's something wrong when the only difference between two factions is which buzzwords go where.

Personally, I would like to sit down with the folks from the church and have a discussion. Ask them to not focus on swaying crowds and simply try to understand from the other side for a bit. Even Christians are people (sound familiar, other oppressed groups?) and tend to be reasonable. And hey, agreeing to disagree is fine, after you make the attempt to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I might agree, but I'm not certain how I feel about censorship. *Shrug*

~Bianca
    It's not censorship. Allowing only one group of people to use a certain word is censorship. It is inherently disallowing any other group those words.

No, I'm talking about equal consequence. The word "tranny" offends me. It doesn't matter if the person saying it is trans and I appear not to be. I will ask politely not to throw it around. I will then tell them to stop. And then, if they continue to spite me and I'm in a bad mood I will act on it. It doesn't matter what the word is or who says it. Asking for special dispensation because you're gay/straight/black/white/trans/Cis/curious/religious/agnostic is fine, because it's a request. People are allowed to make requests. Creating a price large for yourself and forcing it on other people is not fine. Even If that privilege is being able to refer to yourself via slurs by changing the 'Eric' at the end to an 'a'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    So much to read @.@ And lots of people needing hugs...

*hugs all round*

I've been having some weird and quite upsetting dreams recently. Most of them involve me becoming a shapeshifter (yay), but somehow getting trapped in the form of something I don't want to be in a rapidly shrinking room.

Sitting down and thinking (a cat on the lap helps) made me kinda realise something. My dreams were pretty much the perfect metaphor for my life. I'm overweight, I'm doing nothing and I can change that. So from now, trying to lose the weight, be happier with myself. Make it so I can look like the 2 people I want to be (male and female me).

Any advise on hair styles? :3
    Long! Long hair is pretty.

And I've got a question on allyship. What would you guys say the core principles are that all allys should support? I know an ally doesn't have to agree with everything in a movement, but what would you say makes someone an ally?
    Idislike the concepts behind ally. It's a title, it gets a capital letter, it has requirements, and suddenly it's a merit badge. Honestly, I'm surprised the community didn't see this whole thing coming. You tell people they are special an part of a thing because you ave them an Officla Title, writ and seal, Nd ten when they get comfortable the community freaks out.

Requirements are by their nature limiting. don't limit your friends, limit your enemies. Label, brand and disseminate info on how to be a dingus! Spread fliers ot that say 'how to be an Ally' but instead 'Don't be a wanker'. Make the ba people easy to identify, that way you don't get ba people mixed up in your friends. Ally creates an artificial third category of fence sitters, who are viewed as Not-Allies. That's bad. If you reverse it, then everyone who isn't a jerk ends up de facto on your side. Align yourself with society, and society aligns with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Yeah, and it's bad phrasing in an equal society but it's a classic. I think you can get far with simple reciprocity - treat people like they treat you. And stand your ground with defending your values, even if you are not directly threatened by someone. So if they attack LGBTA people, stand up for your values of equal treatment (which leaves the problem of people who treat everyone like crap, but this is a rule of thumb).
    I am still of the Man=Human side of things. All homosapiens and relevantly intelligent cognates for their environment and time culture are worthy of a minimum amount of respect as living things with souls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Any reason for this shameless cephalpoid discrimination?
    Don't make me get the dysphoric seasick squid comic out again.

Is it bad that I really don't think about any of that sort of stuff at all? I just come here because I like you all. I don't really think of it as being an ally or anything else. My thought processes are usually "Kender, Lix, Mystic, Arachu, etc are all really sweet people and I enjoy talking with them." The LGBT stuff is usually an afterthought.
    No, it's awesome. Thank you!

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So... Obviously, this person:

is an idiot, and other things less pleasant. That is not something I'm disputing, or feel should be disputed.

But was anyone else bothered by this response to said idiot (specifically the 'male-bodied' bit, since the rest seems accurate enough):

?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. Well I make sure to avoid comments sections. I always get ten times angrier after seeing a couple of comments.
    My response to the former would be, "Cool, more victim-shaming. Now, step back a second, and use that human empathy thing I keep hearing about. How would you like it if you were raped, and then everybody refused to believe it or do anything about it?"
    My (sarcastic, obviously) response to the latter poster would be, "And you are obviously one of those angry lesbian types." But I wouldn't actually say that (online, anyway; in real life I probably would) because it would just start more arguing and not get anywhere.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

As a momentary break from 80% of the thread worshipping Lix like a god, I came out to my dad today.

It actually went extremely well. I can't go into detail about what was said because of board rules concerning certain things, but he took it extremely well.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, congratulations, Muse! I'm really glad it went well.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    As a momentary break from 80% of the thread worshipping Lix like a god, I came out to my dad today.

It actually went extremely well. I can't go into detail about what was said because of board rules concerning certain things, but he took it extremely well.
    I can't say how happy I am to hear this, Muse. So much very happy for you!!

~Matthew~
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

11. - Top - End - #1091

NecromancerGuy

I'm not entirely grokking you, but then, that's the point.

Still, good is good and news that is good is good news for which I am glad.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, congrats.
    Jude P.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Bugbear in the Playground

I see now that while I didn't miss out on any greetings, I forgot to comment on the whole "men can't control their urges"-topic. I was going to do it now but I got distracted by other things while writing this and it's late now. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Hi again~ ^_^

I have high hopes for medical science~

*Hugs!*~Bianca
    Hello. ^_^

I do have hopes as well.

*hugs back*

(blush) Here?
    Thanks. *joins*
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

14. - Top - End - #1094

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    I see now that while I didn't miss out on any greetings, I forgot to comment on the whole "men can't control their urges"-topic. I was going to do it now but I got distracted by other things while writing this and it's late now. >.>
    It's alright, I didn't even notice that such had become a topic of discussion.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Barbarian in the Playground

Congratulations, hon, that's great that he took things well! Did you do anything in particular to set up the situation when you came out to him?

~Laura
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    Congratulations, hon, that's great that he took things well! Did you do anything in particular to set up the situation when you came out to him?

~Laura
    I waited until he had to drop me off at home and would be driving away soon after, largely so that if it went bad, I could just leave and continue the discussion later, and also because I don't think I would have been able to do a long discussion with him about it right then anyway.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    Hello, all.

I'm the queer part of the alphabet soup. Even though I've known I have a nonstandard gender for a number of years now, I'm not real sure how to go about processing it.

Despite being an active internet-goer, I'm not really a part of any of the 'net support groups. I find it hard to get comfortable in them. It seems like people either push for you to identify (which I'm not keen on), or they're so sure in themselves that coming in as someone who's still working it all out is daunting.

So, I figured I'd come here, since I'm already comfortable on GitP. Um, yeah. Hi.
    Good call on saying you don't want to brushed, most responses like this have a definite 'help me figure myself out' vibe.

Hi! It's pretty strange around here. But nice. You'll fit in just fine

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Hey there.
    Yeah, that's one of the annoying things about the internet. I dislike the anonymity, lack of rules, and inability to punch people that most of the internet provides. (Violence is bad and all but it can be cathartic.)
    I find the threat of reprisal, that all parties would agree is deserved, tends to Bethesda best thing for manners.

I also find that Internet anonymity is terrible for my temper.

You know, I was going to say something along those lines, but I wasn't sure it would be appropriate.
    I was gonna say it but I was half a day late XD

Yep, come on in, kick off your pants, and get ready for fun!

~Matthew~
    Remember though, we do want to avoid too overt an atmosphere. A dry, subtle humor tends to work best. Otherwise folks get squeamish.

Ugh, rape culture.

TW: rape culture:

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the first time rape culture really came to my attention was when I watched Glee. I mean, in the first season (spoiler alert I guess? I mean, Glee is now on the fourth season I think, so) a guy gets a girl drunk to sleep with her. She gets pregnant, has the kid, gives it up for adoption.

They deal with a lot of their relationship issues during the first season in a way that would be fairly realistic for teenagers- except that they never call what happened rape. It's three seasons later and I'm pretty sure they still have never referenced it as rape.

She was unable to consent, he did it anyway (and completely without protection, might I add), and yet he gets high-fives in the hallway (and sympathy when she gives it up), and she gets called a whore and worse. She also gets kicked out of her house.

In-universe, everyone acts like he was just doing what he always does, since he's noted for his sexual "conquests", and she had a moment of weakness. Yeah, a weakness in the form of trusting her boyfriend's best friend.

It's made worse because they're in the Midwest, and as someone from that region, I'll be the first to tell you that we're damned backward in that respect. It is always the woman's fault in some way, and even if he had run her down in broad daylight and violently raped her, she would still face social stigma.
    There is a standing notion that such is not actually rape, it's just normal. If it was not such a standing notion, kids would not pick up such stories in the first place.

It's why one of my parenting. Goals is to make up fairy tales that involve complex morality instead of the stuff we've got now.

I was joking xD (Although I did have a crush on you for ages :3)

Although I am getting mighty sick of 'you'll find someone', especially since, 90% of the time, I get it from people who already have...
    Yes, but for most of them, it's because that's how they lucked out.
    Of you realize that hat they mean is "I was unloveable and here I am" you'll realize several things;
    -no one is unlovable.
    -everyone feels they are the sole example of a thing
    -statistics being what they are, dozens of isolated cases all saying the same thing aren't isolated cases, they are a trend.

Really, it's less empty platitudes and more them not thinking beforehand. Self included! When I was a kid, I imagined wearing a bland grey suit and sitting at the bar of a nightclub, night after night in my forties, waiting for a counterpart of the appropriate gender to be the same. I expected decades of aloneness. And that's not how life is at all, really. So things will get better; what they mean by you'll find someone is "don't worry about it, you'll only stress yourself out and it won't go any faster".

I think I'm bad at cheerin folks up. >_<

I will admit that mine was an act of God, finding my wife. But I say "you'll find someone" because I do truly believe that somewhere out there, is a person for everyone. I am still in awe of how I got my wife(had known her for 5 years before we started dating), and the fact that I love her so much, because I never thought, in a million years, that I would ever meet anyway so awesome.....or at all. So forget "You'll find someone".....because when I realized I loved my wife, I had already found her. Just didn't realize it yet. Don't let life get you down Lixie, because damnit, you are awesome and you WILL have someone one day.

That was quite a range of emotion.....
    *wraps Lix up in a fleece blanket* Lix needs hugz people......
    PILE ON!!!!!!

~Matthew~
    Mrr, this though... It's the phrasing. I don't like that it leads to the des of there being One Person and that if you miss them you'll be Forever Alone and never experience the bliss of One True Romaric LoveTM which is the only real kind of love and everything else is weaksauce.

Love is love. It comes in shades and flavors and it's sweet to wish someone the same happiness as you, but it feels like a desire to enforce conformity. Of wanting everyone to e white, straight, Cis,middle class and have have exactly 2.5 children. Don't wish people One True Love, or they will narrow in and miss other avenues of perfectly valid love. Focus on the goal; sublime happiness. Let whatever path may take you there do so, whether OTLTM or otherwise.

Cool! Did those non-board appropriate issues get clear and definite resolution, agree to disagree or is it a thing that will be tackled later?

Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    That okay mate. It's not the best topic and was really more just incredulity on my part.

So glad you've been feeling alright. How is the GitP Facebook group doing, anyway? I ne'er really could get into Facebook. And I find it's measures oppressive, so I mostly stay away... Especially since the only way to access it woul be to reveal personal information tying said account to me, when I would much prefer to, say, haves dummy account under a female persona.

Also, I hear your first name (the H) is Hammer? Hammer Bitchgrove? That is rockin' fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It's alright, I didn't even notice that such had become a topic of discussion.
    Ouch. Oh flaming bucket head, am I so forgettable?

That reminds me. Your avatar, of a man wing struck in the eye Juan arrow? It's rendered so small on my screen that for the longest time it resembled a grass hill, with an OOTS style stick man dressed as a mountie reclining, hands behind head and chewing on a piece of straw. I still see you as that sarcastic-looking, straw chewing Mountie.

18. - Top - End - #1098

Just a story about stereotypes I thought was worth sharing since I haven't chimed in, in a while.

In my last year of high school there was one girl who I didn't know at all of sudden she became really friendly, and started to make conversation etc.

Later on that year she admitted she had heard from someone that I was gay, and was just trying to become friends so we could go on shopping trips together.

Oh the power of stereotypes. *Facepalm*

19. - Top - End - #1099

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Trigger warnings: same.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I just ran across this article by a now-former Amherst student about her rape and how the college dealt with it. Here's the school president's response.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it wrong that I think the rape focus lets entirely too many people off the hook here?

Let's reiterate what happened without the emotive shock word. A student was violently assaulted, developed PTSD, and when they finally sought help, was abused more by the supposed support services than they were by the initial attacker.

This isn't meant to trivialize the initial rape. (Like I said, violent assault and PTSD are pretty nontrivial, with the sex part being the icing on a turd cake.) But focusing on the "rape is bad" part overlooks the part where support systems in general are a mess that needs to be overhauled.

Because honestly, what we need more than medieval punishments for rapists and a lot of hand wringing is to make sure that there are solid support structures in place to help the victims recover their equilibrium. It's a conspicuously absent point from most discussions on the topic.

One of the nice things about LGBT today is that with more and more out people, everything is becoming more and more normalized. It's hard to keep a mental image of freaks and cavorting sodomites when messages from all angles show the utter normalcy of LGBT+ers.

So congrats on it going well, and here's to things only being smoother for everybody else who comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post
    Later on that year she admitted she had heard from someone that I was gay, and was just trying to become friends so we could go on shopping trips together.

Sadly, "gay men are the perfect accessory for any girl" was a step up from other images at the time.

Which is one of the things that convinces me that there is indeed a gay agenda. Granted, it's "we just want to be treated like everybody else", but when you look at how much focus and deliberation has been put into PR work, it's hard to not see it as a long-term agenda.
    Last edited by Reluctance; 2012-10-18 at 11:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Troll in the Playground

Good for you muse, glad it went well.

@Lixie: I startrd hearing such remarks after i broke up with my girlfriend. Truth is, life is akin to a female dog, but someday you will marry the copulation out of her.

Hm... Somehow this sounds better when using profanity... Ah well, time to join the lixie glomp/hug pile.

*dives in*

HUGS FOR THE HUG THRONE!
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

21. - Top - End - #1101

Yeah, it is definitely a step up the ladder of public opinion. That's an interesting concept on the agenda front, in a way it makes sense. I mean. Wouldn't most minorities have a similar agenda. Equal treatment for all is definitely something worth striving for.

I was just rather shocked. I mean.... people actually believe that stuff?
    I guess there is a reason its called the public opinion.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Just a story about stereotypes I thought was worth sharing since I haven't chimed in, in a while.

In my last year of high school there was one girl who I didn't know at all of sudden she became really friendly, and started to make conversation etc.

I've come out to seven girls so far aside from my sister (most of my friends are guys, surprise surprise), and without exception their first reaction (after the usual battery of "how did you know" etc. questions) was "So...you want to go shopping sometime?"

My standard answer to this was to raise one eyebrow, spread my arms out to draw attention to my outfit (funny geeky T-shirt, cargo shorts with pockets full of stuff, plain white crew socks, and sneakers) and respond, "Would you really want to go shopping with someone who considers this to be the height of fashion?" They generally got the hint.

I used to take my sister and her friends shopping before she or they had a car, by which I mean I would drive them to the mall and read in the bookstore until they were done 6+ hours later, and started not-so-subtly bugging me to allow her to update my wardrobe at an early age. After I came out to her, mentioned the above reactions, and said with a completely straight face "And it's true, you know, all gays love shopping. Does this Saturday work for you?" she burst out laughing for a good five minutes or so and had intermittent fits of the giggles for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-10-19 at 12:58 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I've come out to seven girls so far aside from my sister (most of my friends are guys, surprise surprise), and without exception their first reaction (after the usual battery of "how did you know" etc. questions) was "So...you want to go shopping sometime?"

My standard answer to this was to raise one eyebrow, spread my arms out to draw attention to my outfit (funny geeky T-shirt, cargo shorts with pockets full of stuff, plain white crew socks, and sneakers) and respond, "Would you really want to go shopping with someone who considers this to be the height of fashion?" They generally got the hint.

I used to take my sister and her friends shopping before she or they had a car, by which I mean I would drive them to the mall and read in the bookstore until they were done 6+ hours later, and started not-so-subtly bugging me to allow her to update my wardrobe at an early age. After I came out to her, mentioned the above reactions, and said with a completely straight face "And it's true, you know, all gays love shopping. Does this Saturday work for you?" she burst out laughing for a good five minutes or so and had intermittent fits of the giggles for the rest of the day.
    a pity you didn;t record that reaction, I'd like to watch it...

BTW, the stereotype may have been induced (or at least strengthened) by the Fab 5 (queer eye for a straight guy?). I used to watch it just for the fun of it.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    a pity you didn;t record that reaction, I'd like to watch it...

BTW, the stereotype may have been induced (or at least strengthened) by the Fab 5 (queer eye for a straight guy?). I used to watch it just for the fun of it.
    I've heard of Queer Eye but I've never actually seen it, so I don't know anything about the Fab 5 except for a few impressions of them by comedians. That does remind me of another anecdote, though: I was talking with my roommates one weekend last year after I'd come out, and the subject of one roommate's girlfriend toiletries came up while we were cleaning the house. We had limited shower space, and one of my roommates (roommate 1) was complaining that the other roommate (roommate 2)'s girlfriend always left her stuff in the shower between visits and took up too much space.

After a bit of evasive mumbling, roommate 2 admitted that they were his toiletries, not his girlfriend's, at which point he got some ribbing for using "girly" products and roommate 1 said "Wait. So you're telling me we have one guy living here who's gay...and we have one guy living here who uses Ocean Breeze shampoo, Strawberry Cream conditioner, floral soap, a moisturizing skin cream, and like three kinds of loofah...and they're not the same person!? Come on, [Dice], you're letting your team down!" I promised I'd ask roommate 2 for tips sometime, then went over to the whiteboard we used for to-do lists and scheduling and wrote down "Saturday afternoon, time TBD: Episode #1, Straight Eye for the Queer Guy." Much amusement was had by all.

A few hours later our friends from next door came over to join us for dinner, and one of them (a very ~fabulous~ bi guy) saw the writing on the board and asked about it. I explained the context, he said "Oh please, [roommate 2] has no taste at all, don't listen to a thing he tells you!" and he went over and underneath the first message wrote "Saturday afternoon, ASAP: Episode #1, Queer Eye for the Queer Guy." He then joked that for the sake of completeness we needed a session of Straight Eye for the Straight Guy, so roommate 2 came out of the kitchen, looked around, gave everyone a thumbs-up and said "Yep, y'all are fine," and went back to cooking dinner.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, I seem to be on my way back towards male. Mixed feelings - I'm going home this weekend and next, so not feeling awkward being male will be useful, OTOH I was kinda hoping to let my family see me in girl mode for the first time.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I've heard of Queer Eye but I've never actually seen it, so I don't know anything about the Fab 5 except for a few impressions of them by comedians. That does remind me of another anecdote, though: I was talking with my roommates one weekend last year after I'd come out, and the subject of one roommate's girlfriend toiletries came up while we were cleaning the house. We had limited shower space, and one of my roommates (roommate 1) was complaining that the other roommate (roommate 2)'s girlfriend always left her stuff in the shower between visits and took up too much space.

After a bit of evasive mumbling, roommate 2 admitted that they were his toiletries, not his girlfriend's, at which point he got some ribbing for using "girly" products and roommate 1 said "Wait. So you're telling me we have one guy living here who's gay...and we have one guy living here who uses Ocean Breeze shampoo, Strawberry Cream conditioner, floral soap, a moisturizing skin cream, and like three kinds of loofah...and they're not the same person!? Come on, [Dice], you're letting your team down!" I promised I'd ask roommate 2 for tips sometime, then went over to the whiteboard we used for to-do lists and scheduling and wrote down "Saturday afternoon, time TBD: Episode #1, Straight Eye for the Queer Guy." Much amusement was had by all.

A few hours later our friends from next door came over to join us for dinner, and one of them (a very ~fabulous~ bi guy) saw the writing on the board and asked about it. I explained the context, he said "Oh please, [roommate 2] has no taste at all, don't listen to a thing he tells you!" and he went over and underneath the first message wrote "Saturday afternoon, ASAP: Episode #1, Queer Eye for the Queer Guy." He then joked that for the sake of completeness we needed a session of Straight Eye for the Straight Guy, so roommate 2 came out of the kitchen, looked around, gave everyone a thumbs-up and said "Yep, y'all are fine," and went back to cooking dinner.
    now that is a funny anecdote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Welp, I seem to be on my way back towards male. Mixed feelings - I'm going home this weekend and next, so not feeling awkward being male will be useful, OTOH I was kinda hoping to let my family see me in girl mode for the first time.
    *hug* (tried to type some encouraging words, but they could all be too easily misinterpreted or sounded weird, so you get a hug instead )
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

Slightly nervous - will be going into lectures as male today for the first time this year. OTOH I haven't really spoken to anyone I didn't know already, so probably no-one will notice.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Troll in the Playground

Good luck!
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

On the topic of Allies, I propose that we have Giant's Playground's Ministry of Alphabetical Matters make it an official title to be earned in the Giant's shire. That way, we can have rules for when it is granted and penalties for when it is rebuked. ^_^

Websites are run like 16th century towns, right? :3

Congratulations, those are great news.

Hmm, maybe you can keep it on stand-by in case you swing back? Or you could use it to explain it to them on their terms?

Does that help? I am really bad at advice. ^_^'

Slightly nervous - will be going into lectures as male today for the first time this year. OTOH I haven't really spoken to anyone I didn't know already, so probably no-one will notice.
    Good luck!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Banned

Yeah, it is definitely a step up the ladder of public opinion. That's an interesting concept on the agenda front, in a way it makes sense. I mean. Wouldn't most minorities have a similar agenda. Equal treatment for all is definitely something worth striving for.

I was just rather shocked. I mean.... people actually believe that stuff?
    I guess there is a reason its called the public opinion.
    I've met a gay man who looked through clothing catalogues suing his breaks a work. Due to something unrelated I asked if he was gay, and his response was "duh, why did you think I liked fashion?" so even some gay men believe it.

Interesting. I wouldn't think lectures woul be a problem, really. Girls are allowed to dress masculine all the time, so why aren't you? For the other, I know how you feel. But given your own opinions, better not to force it, right?

Either way we are here for you, and I hope things turn out for the best.