New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How to make a fallen hero villain interesting?

For him to be foreboding, is it better to make his evil absolute or to show the humanity in him so as to contrast against the protagonists?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How to make a fallen hero villain interesting?

What a odd question. Humanity, because doing things for the EVULZ never worked for any villain ever. Especially not when it comes to winning the audience over.

(I doubt he'd consider himself evil, after all.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yes, contrast and humanity.

Absolute evil is boring (and unrealistic). He's bad, we're good, gg.

You want your antagonist to be opposed to your protagonists because they have conflicting goals that are more complex than, antagonist hates life/likes killing and the protagonists like living. Sure, you can have your Sauron but it's Gollum that's the interesting antagonist character in LOTR.

He/She should be conflicted. They know that they're doing things that, in as close to a morally objective sense as can ever be established, are considered 'bad' BUT:

A) They don't care because of a warped worldview (a la the Comedian)

B) They feel that they have to. Greater good. Revenge. Slave to the Precious That sort of thing. (a la Ozymandias)

I mean, really this question answers itself when you ask, who is the more interesting character? Xykon or Redcloak? Who makes you think more and engages your brain in the story? The Jokeresque psychopath who kills for fun and obviously must be stopped? Or the guy who just wanted a fair shake for his downtrodden people, did a few bad things to try and get there, realized that if he ultimately failed then his early misdeeds would be unjustified and so resigned himself to playing out his hand to the end regardless of what was required to succeed and cognizant of the likelihood of his own damnation?

I'll let YOU decide. (but the answer is RC)

Anyway, just my opinion on the topic. Hope it helps and good luck!

~Gondolin

Pro tip: Check out Watchmen for great examples of heroic antagonists - most of the characters work as well as villains as they do heros (hence the title )

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Bad fallen hero villian:

Ha ha ha! after i kidnapped the princess, i will be the king for sure after i betrayed him!

Good fallen hero villian:

The king is a buffon and a weakling.
    I will Usurp his throne and rule the kingdom as it is needed to be ruled.
    Despite everything, its still me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I believe that a good "fallen hero" should always be self-conscious. He should know what he's done, and feel the mental anguish that comes with it. He should sincerely believe that what he's doing is for the greatest good. Self-conflict is to be expected.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The real question is why is he fallen? Someone out for revenge might easily loose his humanity while someone convinced they are doing evil for the greater good might feel deep remorse for the bad things they have to do.

Then there are tge heros that loose their humanity, like Miko.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master