New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Level 2 Power Point Vampire.

What the title says. I'm playing a deathmatch game, and after some consideration of the changes to rules, I'm seeing the detractors of the vampire turning into benefits, and that power point powers would be able to be very powerful.

So, now I'm trying to think of how to make a level 2 Vampire that uses power points. 100 in mundane, 2 level 1 magic items, 1 level 2 magic item, 1 level 3 magic item. No themes, or backgrounds that swap Con for HP.

Best I can think of would be a Int/Cha Psion|Vampire, but that's not ideal. Who can do better than me.

Everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Level 2 Power Point Vampire.

I'm . . . not sure I follow. So you want to be a Vampire mixed with a PP-using class? Do you specifically want to be a Hybrid (knowing you, probably), or would inflicting the Vampirism feat on yourself cut it? More specifically, what exactly are you hoping to gain out of this? Your post is a little hard to follow.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It was a half asleep grog post, so I'm not surprised it's difficult.

I'm playing a one-shot style game where you fight for 6 rounds, respawning when you die. As such, not having a lot of surges doesn't matter. I saw that Psionic Vampire let's you gain a surge then spend it to get 2 power points. The only class that would qualify for that and uses Cha is the Psion. And two Mind Thrust's at full augmentation would be pretty nice at level 2. I'm wondering if there are any races, items, feats, backgrounds, ... that would make this strange combo effective. Or if there is a stronger combo.

If there simply is no good way to do this, so be it. Ideas that happen after you've gone to sleep don't always work out well.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the Ardent is CHA-primary, so that might be an option. I think you'll be best off with the Vampirism feat (which is usually a pretty bad idea, but not necessarily a dealbreaker in this specific context) instead of a hybrid Vampire, but that's up to you.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Play ANYTHING ELSE. Scratch out your race and write "vampire" on the character sheet.

To do otherwise is to shoot yourself in the foot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I want to repeat, in the special one off game, surges are no longer a concern, as are other matters that normally make the vampire horrible. Basically, if you die you everything but daily powers and action points back to full. One shot at level 2 negates the lack of options. Does the vampire have another huge flaw I'm missing?
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Actually, the biggest problem with the vampire is that it has trouble dealing the levels of damage that most other Strikers do out of the box, and unlike most other strikers, has almost no options with which to remedy this except hybrid.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

And that would be the flaw I'm not seeing. I don't play Strikers, so I'm not used to looking for their tricks.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Actually, the biggest problem with the vampire is that it has trouble dealing the levels of damage that most other Strikers do out of the box, and unlike most other strikers, has almost no options with which to remedy this except hybrid to play one in name only.
    Fixed that for you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Hey now, I've heard that Vampire|Clerics and Vampire|Paladins work well.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Hey now, I've heard that Vampire|Clerics and Vampire|Paladins work well.
    Stay thirsty, my friends.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I've actually come across a few of these at work. It's barely 5 minutes into a slideshow and I can already feel my will to live being drained away. X_x

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

For those who wish to know the exact conditions under which his hybrid will be fighting, look here:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=175377

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

So for a feat (plus vampirism), you can burn a minor action once/encounter to gain 2 power points on a hit. Vampirism costs at least a feat -- so 2 feats in exchange for 2 power points/encounter.

At level 3 you have 2 to 3 feats.

Good heroic tier feats include +1 to hit, +1 or 2 to damage, encounter interrupt basic attack, +[W] damage with CA and charging.

Hybrid Executioner Assassin|Fighter Pixie. Vanguard Rapier, Badge of the Berserker, +1 armor. Streak of Light, Surprising Charge for 5+Stat vs AC, 4d8+Stat damage charge at-will (no OA from charge). This would be the standard against which I'd measure your build -- good, but not the best.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

At what level is that build? For the purposes of this game, it's a one shot at level 2, but I'd be very interested in that hybrid. Perhaps here.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

That is a level 2 hybrid.

Race: pixie.
    Class: Hybrid Executioner|Fighter
    Feats: Streak of Light (gain CA when charging), Surprising Charge (+[W] damage with light blade or spear when charging with CA).
    Equipment: Vanguard Rapier (1d8 damage light blade)+1, +1 armor, badge of the berserker+1.
    Stats: 16 str/18 dex

Executioner gives +1d8 MBA damage. Surprising Charge gives +[W] damage on a charge-with-CA. Vanguard rapier gives +1d8 damage. Rapier gives [W]=1d8, and +3 proficiency.

Charge is +3 str +1 level +1 magic +2 CA +1 charge +3 proficiency = +11 vs AC (decent at level 2).
    Damage is 4d8+3, or an average of 21 per hit.

AC is mediocre at 17 in leather (do executioners get hide or any shield proficiency? I forget -- if they get light shield and hide, this hits 19 AC -- if you have 1 extra feat and pick up hybrid talent (fighter armor), you hit 20 AC with a heavy shield and hide armor). But you don't have room for that feat until level 4, and you cannot afford to be human because streak of light is rather key for this build.

In a less restricted environment, you get the feywilde beast tamer theme and fight mounted on the back of your displacer beast. This ups your speed, and forces enemies to waste attacks on the displacer beast, or attack you at -2 to hit. (another feat gives you cover while mounted).

You can grab the executioner assassin's bonus damage dice encounter power on top of this.

You can also build this as a executioner|rogue.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2012-10-01 at 09:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

If anyone is interested in joining up, we're presently looking for an additional player as one is taking a brief hiatus for school.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    That is a level 2 hybrid.

Race: pixie.
    Class: Hybrid Executioner|Fighter
    Feats: Streak of Light (gain CA when charging), Surprising Charge (+[W] damage with light blade or spear when charging with CA).
    Equipment: Vanguard Rapier (1d8 damage light blade)+1, +1 armor, badge of the berserker+1.
    Stats: 16 str/18 dex
    What is the purpose of the high dex in this build? Just the defense bonus? Or it it necessary for feats?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
    What is the purpose of the high dex in this build? Just the defense bonus? Or it it necessary for feats?
    Surprising Charge requires 17 Dex.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Can it outdo this?

Edit: Charge someone then use Virtuous Strike. With a rapier that's 1d8. Add Attack Finesse for an extra 1d8. Plus Dread Smite which is 2+Cha mod plus 5 ongoing if you hit, static even on a miss. Damage on a miss is great in my book.

Tack on Cunning Stalker to get CA against a lonely target that you've charged. This kicks in Dark Menace for Cha-mod damage and Spirit of Vice that gives +2, +4 if you or anything you are adjacent to is bloodied.

With a Charisma score of 20, to-hit +10 vs. AC, 3d8+15 radiant damage at level 2. And all of this only costs one action at a time. I call this a strong nova.

Plus a +2 to saving throws never hurts.
    Last edited by Tegu8788; 2012-10-06 at 09:12 PM.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    AC is mediocre at 17 in leather (do executioners get hide or any shield proficiency? I forget -
    No higher than Leather. I forget if Versatile Defense is a hybrid talent (light shield prof or TWD as a bonus feat) but the fighter options would be better anyway.