New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default The Voice of Optimization

I'm known at the table as being the one who can build well-optimized characters and knows systems inside and out, but the rest of the party seems firmly rooted in the belief that roleplay and optimization are mutually exclusive. They'll accept build advice, but they're... suspicious of my characters, at best. I'm still working on convincing them that they can have both.
    Am I the only one who is the sole "voice of optimization" in his/her group?
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Voice of Optimization

I tend to be this in some of my groups. Unfortunately, my bro in my Encounters group has been doing some hardcore OP, so it's not helping people's opinion of my characters.

You should find when their cut offs and false dichotomies are. For example, if they think high ACs are overpowered, cut back on HP and make up for it in DR or HP if you want to play strong.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that'd be me. But of course, since I DM most of the time, I spend the most time working with the system, and more experience simply leads to me being the voice of Optimization. Just try living with the same sword & board Dwarven fighter in your party for 3 different campaigns
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I find that a lot of resentment from players who don't like to optimize comes when favorite characters they have are unplayable.

Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two friends of mine played in a game I ran that lasted about a year or two that went from level 1-30(some). Long, Epic, really tailored to the two of them. They played a straight Fighter, and a Monk. No optimization, really, maybe a little. I, in turn, gave them a little more WBL to make up for it, and didn't optimize their adversaries. They had a lot of fun.
    The next campaign the Fighter DM'd, and me and the monk both played optimized wizards. The DMPC, a straight rogue, was completely useless, and we crushed his first encounter in one round. He didn't like having to play at a higher level, and instead tried to DM fiat nerf us. Knock didn't work against some locks, and my Rod of Greater Quicken was banned.

Anyway, that could be the problem with the skepticism.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    I find that a lot of resentment from players who don't like to optimize comes when favorite characters they have are unplayable.

Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two friends of mine played in a game I ran that lasted about a year or two that went from level 1-30(some). Long, Epic, really tailored to the two of them. They played a straight Fighter, and a Monk. No optimization, really, maybe a little. I, in turn, gave them a little more WBL to make up for it, and didn't optimize their adversaries. They had a lot of fun.
    The next campaign the Fighter DM'd, and me and the monk both played optimized wizards. The DMPC, a straight rogue, was completely useless, and we crushed his first encounter in one round. He didn't like having to play at a higher level, and instead tried to DM fiat nerf us. Knock didn't work against some locks, and my Rod of Greater Quicken was banned.

Anyway, that could be the problem with the skepticism.
    Eh, in that case is sounds more like the problem was having a DMPC, which are not recommended at all. But you do have a point about players being attached to a concept. The thing is though that they could still play the same character Warblade and Unarmed Swordsage respectively, but it takes more effort than "Pick this class" to meet the concept and optimize.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Eh, in that case is sounds more like the problem was having a DMPC, which are not recommended at all. But you do have a point about players being attached to a concept. The thing is though that they could still play the same character Warblade and Unarmed Swordsage respectively, but it takes more effort than "Pick this class" to meet the concept and optimize.
    the guy in question, the DM/fighter. Hates the ToB with a unwavering passion. Bans it in all his games, and refuses to touch it.

As a player he loathes optimization. I see his point which is, "No matter what power level you are at the DM will make the challenge appropriate. The problem with high OP is that there is a chance the DM might accidentally make the encounter too powerful and squish you. If you do 1,000 damage out of 10,000 is it not the same as 100 out of a 1,000?"
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

the guy in question, the DM/fighter. Hates the ToB with a unwavering passion. Bans it in all his games, and refuses to touch it.

As a player he loathes optimization. I see his point which is, "No matter what power level you are at the DM will make the challenge appropriate. The problem with high OP is that there is a chance the DM might accidentally make the encounter too powerful and squish you. If you do 1,000 damage out of 10,000 is it not the same as 100 out of a 1,000?"
    Of course, the DM is limited in options when they have to keep the gloves on, which can often limit the adventures and campaigns you can have. Still, I find it Ironic that optimizers are to D&D players what D&D players are to the rest of the world

In the end though, as long as he doesn't get too difficult for you to have fun, its fine for him to put a limit on the optimization. Plus, you did play a T1, maybe a 3 would've been better.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there is some reason to being suspicious of optimizing. I got really tired of the guy whose character concepts always were abducted by a gang of thieves early in their lives, but always later escaped. The guy wanted his first level as rogue, so he'd get 8x4 skill points. Or the druid who keeps asking for dinosaurs when there obviously aren't any in the campaign world, because he read about them being really good as animal companions somewhere. Or the guy who insists on building a diplomancer and using it at every turn.
    It's also annoying, as some have mentioned, from the other end. Say you picture your character as a dual-wielding melee tough guy, and you stick to it though it kinda sucks. Then it feels a little like cheating when others bend the story to the rules, and it sucks your fun out of the game as their leaky hulls of personality concepts outperform your own elegant design in all game technical ways.
    Last edited by hymer; 2012-10-14 at 01:47 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah. In my party I'm the only optimizer. And actually I just optimized IC and party buffs. I encourage the other players to, well, read the books but they don't.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    I think there is some reason to being suspicious of optimizing. I got really tired of the guy whose character concepts always were abducted by a gang of thieves early in their lives, but always later escaped. The guy wanted his first level as rogue, so he'd get 8x4 skill points. Or the druid who keeps asking for dinosaurs when there obviously aren't any in the campaign world, because he read about them being really good as animal companions somewhere. Or the guy who insists on building a diplomancer and using it at every turn.
    It's also annoying, as some have mentioned, from the other end. Say you picture your character as a dual-wielding melee tough guy, and you stick to it though it kinda sucks. Then it feels a little like cheating when others bend the story to the rules, and it sucks your fun out of the game as their leaky hulls of personality concepts outperform your own elegant design in all game technical ways.
    The first is a roleplay problem, not an optimization problem. The second is a problem with the player, who is obviously just not listening to the DM. The third is not a problem at all. If one wants to play an underpowered character, he's fine so long as he doesn't drag the rest of the party down.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

He thinks getting big numbers is all there is to optimization?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

@ lego: I disagree that it's that simple. The notion of different ingame power levels is not inherently unproblematic, and therefore neither is optimization.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

@ lego: I disagree that it's that simple. The notion of different ingame power levels is not inherently unproblematic, and therefore neither is optimization.
    The problem is that it goes both ways. If anything, the two players should meet in the middle, with the optimizer toning down to T3 and the Fighter getting a different build to reach up to T3. Just because he's the one with lower power doesn't mean others should have to hold themselves back for his sake. Not only is fighter a T5, but TWF isn't very good either. He ought to find an aditional source of damage, so he could meet the Optimizer halfway.

Its interesting to see this split view on optimization.

Player A is Unoptimized and Player B is Optimized

If Player A complains about Player B being too strong, than Player B must be doing something wrong, and should weaken his build

If Player B complains about Player A being too weak, Player B is being a jerk, and Player A should be allowed to keep his current character.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    He thinks getting big numbers is all there is to optimization?
    No, he doesn't. It was just an example, not a comprehensive viewpoint.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

in one of the groups i used to play with, i was the voice of optimization, the voice of RP, and the voice of knowing the rules.

yeah, really dumb group. one of them, when we explicitly told him to walk up to a held ettin and do a coup de grace next round, charged and attacked (we had a houserule that if a held creature takes damage, he is no longer held.) his justification: "i only have an intelligence of 7, i don't know what a coup de grace is". we, of course, pointed out that even a wolf, Int 2, goes for the throat of a down opponent instead of just randomly biting. another one charged a door to attack it (not even an ubercharger, just randomly charged), and another tumbled into a wall. if i hadn't built all the characters and ran half of them, we never would have gotten anything done.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm far and above the greatest optimizer in my group, the DM taking second (Its my friend who DMs most games with me as a party leader and such to keep the game moving). I build most of the characters in my group around the concept they choose. If they really resist I let them do what they really want and try to buff them up in game.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I am the biggest voice of optimization in my group. I've optimized so well that I was called a cheater. I've since learned that I'm the one who cares the most about stats in the group (by far), with the others caring more about story than I when they're players.

However, (and this is my main point) there is a big conflict of interest between people who know the rules and people who merely think they know the rules!

This discrepancy has caused so much heartbreak. It's one reason why low tier characters get played so much, because those who don't know the rules trust the game designers as the authorities over their fellow players and GMs when these weak character lovers say, "But it's cool!" The Rule of Cool only works if the GM says it does.

See also Ye Olde Stormwind Fallacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

a) different in game power levels can still work. Therefore they are not inherently problematic. Yes, they can lead to problems, and they are best avoided. But I wouldn't call that inherent.

b) optimization does not cause different in game power levels. Differences in optimization does. Your argument only works against different levels of optimization, not optimization instead.

Say I want to play a wizard who is not mentally deficient. Even if he has an obsessive compulsive disorder to solve everything by explosions (which is not exactly a smart wizard), he might not exactly work with that character. If I actually want to roleplay him being smart (as in casting spells intelligently, not necessarily optimized feat choice), I can either chose to forgo that, or crush your fun.

Same with a sorcerer.

Say I want to play a cleric who calls on the power of his god in a fight to reinforce him, so that he can crush his enemies. I would completely out damage you. Or if I wanted to play a cleric who called on the power of his god to smite his foes. You would get relegated to honorary janitor.

Or if I wanted to play a Druid who's whole shtick was to eventually make the world's best basket, and asking nature and its creatures to take care of his problems so that he could go back to making baskets. As in, I just picked the class, took a series of feats/skills that had 0 combat applications, and just used 2 class features (animal companion + Summon Nature's Ally) for all problems. No optimization at all. Would still overshadow that character.

Yes, over optimization can be annoying to a non-optimizer. However, if you de-optimize to the point that entire base classes become incompatible with your character, even when unoptimized, unless played stupidly, that is a problem on your end at that point. You should at the least be required to optimize to the point where the other person's character concept works. If your character concept is incompatible with entire classes, your character concept isn't fit for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    The problem is that it goes both ways. If anything, the two players should meet in the middle, with the optimizer toning down to T3 and the Fighter getting a different build to reach up to T3. Just because he's the one with lower power doesn't mean others should have to hold themselves back for his sake. Not only is fighter a T5, but TWF isn't very good either. He ought to find an aditional source of damage, so he could meet the Optimizer halfway.

Its interesting to see this split view on optimization.

Player A is Unoptimized and Player B is Optimized

If Player A complains about Player B being too strong, than Player B must be doing something wrong, and should weaken his build

If Player B complains about Player A being too weak, Player B is being a jerk, and Player A should be allowed to keep his current character.
    Pretty much this. Although if there are multiple players, the target optimization level should shift to meet at the average
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGoW View Post
    95% of martial problems can be solved by Tome of Battle...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not the 'Voice of Optimization' in my group, though I am one of the better ones.
    But IMO it's all about the group dynamic and how you work around (possible) problems like IC power level differences.
    Now I've played in Low OP, Mid OP and have dabbled in High OP (though I didn't find it to be my cup of tea) and I've found that as long as the players agree to keep to the role they have chosen for their characters without encroaching to much into anothers territory things go fine.
    Now that doesn't mean "You're a Cleric, you can't fight on the front line" nor does it mean "You're a Wizard. You sit back there and throw fireballs, let my Rogue deal with the logic puzzles". No, it means agreeing that every class/character has it's place and letting them excel in it as best as the player is able to manage.
    Just because a high OP Wizard can do everything by himself doesn't mean he always should.

But then again, I find my own personal comfort level to be more mid op.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

I've tried, but learned (slowly ) not to bother about it. It doesn't lead anywhere productive in the long run. Only give help where it's asked for, otherwise you just seem like you're a showboating prick trying to self-aggrandize (or worse yet, marginalize others) with rules knowledge.

If someone expresses that his character feels useless (I've seen two PF Sorcerers this semester with horrible spell picks), then I try to help them ("Sorcerers' strength is that they can spam spells, but they can only pick so many, so you'll only want to pick spells which you know you'll use a lot. You should swap out that Mage Armor for something like Color Spray or Sleep").

Basically, let people learn for themselves that, say, shelling out your WBL for AC is really ineffective (maybe mention it once, then back off. Some people can only learn by experience). Then if they come to you for help, you're seen as helping out your friend, rather than imposing your demented view of what the game "should" be.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I've tried, but learned (slowly ) not to bother about it. It doesn't lead anywhere productive in the long run. Only give help where it's asked for, otherwise you just seem like you're a showboating prick trying to self-aggrandize (or worse yet, marginalize others) with rules knowledge.

If someone expresses that his character feels useless (I've seen two PF Sorcerers this semester with horrible spell picks), then I try to help them ("Sorcerers' strength is that they can spam spells, but they can only pick so many, so you'll only want to pick spells which you know you'll use a lot. You should swap out that Mage Armor for something like Color Spray or Sleep").

Basically, let people learn for themselves that, say, shelling out your WBL for AC is really ineffective (maybe mention it once, then back off. Some people can only learn by experience). Then if they come to you for help, you're seen as helping out your friend, rather than imposing your demented view of what the game "should" be.
    I'd like to second this post (is that a thing?).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I play by the don't be a jerk(as I can't remember if this site has rules against language that the elderly are shocked by) rule. Basicly, if it would ruin it for everyone else, don't do it. And if you cause games to end because of your behavior, don't expect to be allowed into another game.

I am edging ever closer to banning one of my long time friends from playing over this, its a shame too.

Build to fit with the group, or build much more powerful and then just play down your power. Wizards are great for this, as are well built bards, let the melee guys have the glory and hold on to the save the day spells for when the day needs saving. Play down your strengths until they are needed.

The point of the game isn't supposed to be to convince everyone else that you shouldn't be played with.

That being said, when I play games, I often offer up advice to other players on how to improve what they want to do, within their own concepts. Someone wants to be a Drunken Master, I do what I can to help with the build. Someone wants to be an Arcane Archer, I show them Duskblade for easy entry.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I'd like to second this post (is that a thing?).
    Until GitP introduces a "like" feature, quoting with a "+1", "Seconded", "Agreed", "This", or other expression of agreement is the best we can do.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

But don't you get it? You will never master your demonic powers and you will kill yourself if your character dies!
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLexi View Post
    Build to fit with the group, or build much more powerful and then just play down your power. Wizards are great for this, as are well built bards, let the melee guys have the glory and hold on to the save the day spells for when the day needs saving. Play down your strengths until they are needed.
    I ended a campaign because of this.

Details spoiled for length:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I played a Shadowcraft Mage, I explained exactly what it was capable of, exactly what I intended to do with it (exactly what you said) and told the DM flat out "This is an incredibly powerful build, if you ban it, and I absolutely would understand if you do, then I'll make something less powerful."

When push came to shove, I managed to take down the biggest in game threat way before I was supposed to, (hooray scrolls) because my character was patriotic to the nth degree and I thought it was coming to attack my country (it has passed our borders and attacked our allies while en route, and we had seen invasion plans against our country). I had help from the playground, but I asked the DM three times, if it was alright if I try, and let him know I was only going to try because I thought I had a chance of bringing it down. He agreed that it was ok each of the three times. I also asked the other party members who also agreed that it was ok. I was very forthright with what I could do. I also directed other players toward choices that would ensure no redundancy in the group (and everybody that I was able to assist was happy, the one person who I didn't get to assist was not happy with his rogue among the Wizard, Cleric, Druid and Warblade).

After I did this the DM basically threw up his hands and ended the campaign short. Despite explicitly ok'ing everything I had done and being warned repeatedly I could do it.

The other players didn't mind my performance at all (they really liked my spamming buffs at them all the time) but the DM simply didn't know how to handle it, even with prior knowledge.

Personally, it was the most fun campaign I have ever played in, I was sad it ended as such. If I had known the outcome, I would have toned my character down.

Now I'm DM'ing for mostly the same group, and encouraging higher optimization (DMM Quicken Cleric, Elven Generalist Wizard, DFI Bard, Duskblade) and due to their options and my ability to cope with it, ie the options it has opened for me to use against them to make encounters the likes of which they've never seen, they've indicated it is the most fun campaign they've ever had.

Optimization is good in the right hands. The right hands is anybody willing to learn with the small modicum of self control necessary to not abuse it, in my opinion.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Honestly, there are many things not immediately obvious that should be discussed and agreed upon when starting a campaign among friends. Things such as:

Intended power level (includes optimization)
    Intended gamestyle (kick in the door, spend a month planning the details of the Duke's next fancy dress ball, anywhere in between)
    Rules dispute methodology (DM makes immediate call until end of session? 2 minutes allowed for finding reference? 2 people argue for an hour while the others sit bored?)
    Level of "find your own plot" (Not sure how to summarize. Basically a 'sliding scale of railroad' between "what do you mean "what's happening around town?" You're the players, you tell me" and "What do you mean "what do you do?" You're the DM, you tell me."

And more.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

@ demi: I don't particularly disagree. I'm the most obvious optimizer in my group. When I call optimization 'not inherently unproblematic', I mean pretty much what you describe, but I do believe the optimizer is just as much to blame for any problem developing as the non-optimizers. And I think in a forum where optimization often seems the obvious thing to do, it bears mentioning (and rementioning) that you need to do so with some thought.
    My optimizing is very rarely a problem in my groups, and the OP seems to be having problems. Hence this whole sticking up for the side I'm actually not on.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

And I think in a forum where optimization often seems the obvious thing to do, it bears mentioning (and rementioning) that you need to do so with some thought.
    First off I'm the only real optimizer in our current group. At least that is what I think so far. My GF can play effective druids/Barbarians but that without really optimizing much (no Ubercharging and such but effective). The others I don't quite know so far.
    But atm my Character is the "strongest" as my GF tried something new and despite the help of the playground it was a bit dull ingame but again thanks to some advice she has found a goal to work to and the DM greenlighted it.

On another note about a year ago with the roughly same group (the DM doesn't play with us anymore and we got 2 new guys to play with us since then) we made an PF all Dwarf party. 1 Cleric, 1 Druid (me), 1 Cavalier and 1 Barbarian.
    I choose the Earth domain as I couldn't really imagine him with an AC... and due to leveling up and reaching a point where Wildshape would come online soon I was thinking... what should I transform into? What would made sense and was dumbfounded. I asked the Playground and became quite a few responses that were... let's call it suboptimal, like try to transform into an raptor. The only animals that character has seen well enough till then were: a Pony, Goblindogs, Owls and Rats which I had stated.

In the current group however I seem to have some good influence as instead of an CLW we cashed in for a wand of Lesser Vigor and resorted to out of combat healing. As someone else here hold it "don't be a jerk" is the best thing you can do. Hint some things here and there (like we hinted to our current druid player that her AC is quite ineffective when it's not going into combat).
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    As someone else here hold it "don't be a jerk" is the best thing you can do. Hint some things here and there (like we hinted to our current druid player that her AC is quite ineffective when it's not going into combat).
    Yup. Give them suggestions when they are willing to accept. Just remember not to force it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

My optimization 2c.

Personally, I optimize above average, but sometimes, you need to self-regulate your characters so you don't outshine the party and someone doesn't have fun.

Let's say you're a God Wizard build. Just because your character can win every encounter by himself, doesn't mean that he may have some crippling social/psychological flaw. Perhaps he's ADD and you choose to only act every other turn. That isn't a mechanical flaw, but you choose to act that way in order to let your party's Human Fighter have a little fun.

Or maybe your God Wizard is a pacifist. He never wants the killing blow, so he always hits another target, again, letting Mr. Fighter have his fun. Just because the Tier System exists doesn't mean the player can't act unoptimized in order to not make the party unhappy.

And I personally have played the "Scooby" (for those who don't know, the Scooby is a comic relief character who is COMPLETELY sub-optimal, but is the lovable character who no matter what mess he's in, the party still wants him to be safe. The term comes from Scooby Doo (obviously). It's four semi-optimized party members and a half-retarded talking dog) and I enjoy being so sub-optimal that the party is left confused.
    Current Avatar:
    Captain Roy Valiant by Lord Fullbladder

Former Avatars:
    Deepwyrm Drow Warblade by gurgleflep
    Kakashi Avatar by Dispozition
    Draenei Spellbreaker by KaptainKrutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Cleric: Right, I cast Infict Serious Wounds on that guy.
    DM: Sorry, you kissed too many babies this week, you heal him instead
    Cleric: Quick! Someone find me a dog to kick