New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How to build an Inquisitor using the 4E system?

Good morning. In a previous 3.5 campaign, I had built an Inquisitor NPC as a mystic theurge, because both the cleric and wizard spell lists had a large number of ​nonlethal​ disables. Casters had a ridiculously large arrary of spells to choose from, and by stacking Will saving through penalties and Wisdom reduction, could both render subjects more likely to be disabled, and then to more successfully interrogate them (​zone of truth​ etc). Battle field control could be truly absurd (for example, the Inquisitor ambushed the party with a​ solid fog​ and stacking Will save penalties, and prevented runners with ​blindness​ and ​baleful transposition​ until they could be subdued).

What I would like from the character optimization crowd is this: can I at least simulate or approach this effect when building a 4E NPC? Any casting class and magic item is acceptable. I want this Inquisitor to attempt to disable a party for questioning, and I would prefer to do it dealing as little damage as possible because it's not about killing them, and I want this to be clear. How do you build the ultimate "ambush controller"? He will have a few select followers, any suggestions on this score as well? Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How to build an Inquisitor using the 4E system?

You can do this very easily. Simply make an appropriate Controller-role monster, probably Elite and with the Leader subrole, of the appropriate level. Have most of its powers deal radiant and/or psychic damage, and have it have a close blast power, probably recharge 6 or 56, that slows (save ends), dazes (save ends) after the first failed save, and causes unconsciousness (save ends) after the second failed save. Have its companions be focused on grabbing enemies and with the ability to tie up unconscious foes rapidly and well, and you can capture relatively easily.

NPCs in 4e are not built using anything remotely similar to PCs, so you as DM can have them do whatever you want. Also, there is an explicit rule stating that if a creature knocks another to 0 hit points, they may decide whether they want them dying or just unconscious, so having your NPC deal actual damage is a good idea.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

There is a way to make an NPC using guidelines in Dungeon Master's Guide. If you want to do that, I suggest that you go for a Wizard (multiclass anything) and stick with Illusion spells found in Arcane Power (such as Grasping Shadows, Hypnotic Pattern or Maze of Mirrors, or even Grease, Sleep, Visions of Avarice, also, and many others, depending on the level of your Wizard).

Note that in this way you can only prevent them from going anywhere but that you still need a way to really subdue them, one which is dropping them to zero, as NecroRebel suggested, or having allies to grab hold of them, as NecroRebel suggested, or have some means of rendering them unconscious for at least a short while (almost impossible in 4e) to get them manacles on, as NecroRebel, also, suggested.

So, Wizard (optional fluffy) + Illusion spells + friends, I'd say.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
    There is a way to make an NPC using guidelines in Dungeon Master's Guide. If you want to do that, I suggest that you go for a Wizard (multiclass anything) and stick with Illusion spells found in Arcane Power (such as Grasping Shadows, Hypnotic Pattern or Maze of Mirrors, or even Grease, Sleep, Visions of Avarice, also, and many others, depending on the level of your Wizard).

Note that in this way you can only prevent them from going anywhere but that you still need a way to really subdue them, one which is dropping them to zero, as NecroRebel suggested, or having allies to grab hold of them, as NecroRebel suggested, or have some means of rendering them unconscious for at least a short while (almost impossible in 4e) to get them manacles on, as NecroRebel, also, suggested.

So, Wizard (optional fluffy) + Illusion spells + friends, I'd say.
    Once again mandrake covers most stuff I had to say. But as usual I ALSO have one more point i'd like to add! A-HA!

Namely: the lazy way out! the one I'd use at least.

Sometimes, when I make bosses, I use actual characters. Built like the PC's but a little more powerfull as to have it be able to take on the party. Now this isn't better than the others' suggestions. But it could certainly be fun to throw a Invoker above their level at them. And you wouldn't have to be worried about the whole death thing as, like the other said, 0hp isn't necisarrily death. Just like damage isn't necisarrily wounds as much as exhaustion or other things that can drop you out of a fighting state.

Really though; They have it right. Just take powers (weahter PC or monsterpowers, really) and just fluff them the way you want them.
    You ever punched a polarbear for making you miss the buss? It's fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mistwing View Post
    throw a Invoker
    That's gold. That's the mutliclass, at least.

Also, consider packing him up with some suitable items of his level and lower. I don't know any, of course, but there's stuff that might be useful (stuff that prevent invisibility, that create difficult terrain, that slow or immobilize, or that say "Inquisitors cherish this item" in some for the PCs blinding way). Check Adventurer's Vault and Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium especially.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
    Also, consider packing him up with some suitable items of his level and lower. I don't know any, of course, but there's stuff that might be useful (stuff that prevent invisibility, that create difficult terrain, that slow or immobilize, or that say "Inquisitors cherish this item" in some for the PCs blinding way). Check Adventurer's Vault and Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium especially.
    My head was hit by a lightningbolt as i read this. Two words leapt out of my electrified brain, or well, three: Hey! Grasping weapon!

Nothing like a Inquisition patrol that hit you with staves or spears or what have you (preferrebly something with reach) and hold you there while someone else incapacitates you with sleep or a fat blunt object to the back of the head or what have you.

Now we're wrangling PC's

There's also Bolas'.
    You ever punched a polarbear for making you miss the buss? It's fun.