New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Any Island Survival/Mysterious Island RPGs?

Hey there fellow playgrounders.
    I find myself looking for a new video game to give a go, and oddly have a huge urge to play something survival-like. I've always liked games that had elements of survival in them. Anyway, I can't seem to find any myself, so I thought I'd turn to the playground to see if anyone here has a game or two they could recommend.

If possible I'd like something related to island/mysterious island survival. I like the feel of "you are stuck here, have fun living", and by mysterious island I mean there is.. well mystery. Like maybe you find creatures on the island that you know shouldn't be around, ruins of some weird culture you've never heard of, maybe even other people that seem a bit.. off. Anyway if anyone has a game that'd fit this, I would be forever grateful.

Anyway, thanks for your time, I do appreciate it. Have a great day everyone.

Edit: I'd also be perfectly happy with a text-based, tabletop, or any other king of game that fits the description above. I can get into almost any kind of a game, thought I'd prefer some form of video game/single player game.
    Last edited by DrewVolker; 2012-10-01 at 01:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Any Island Survival/Mysterious Island RPGs?

I remember reading about a 16 bit RPG back in my high school years which was like this, I believe it was showcased in Nintendo Power.

Couldn't tell you the name of it though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrewVolker View Post
    Hey there fellow playgrounders.
    I find myself looking for a new video game to give a go, and oddly have a huge urge to play something survival-like. I've always liked games that had elements of survival in them. Anyway, I can't seem to find any myself, so I thought I'd turn to the playground to see if anyone here has a game or two they could recommend.

If possible I'd like something related to island/mysterious island survival. I like the feel of "you are stuck here, have fun living", and by mysterious island I mean there is.. well mystery. Like maybe you find creatures on the island that you know shouldn't be around, ruins of some weird culture you've never heard of, maybe even other people that seem a bit.. off. Anyway if anyone has a game that'd fit this, I would be forever grateful.

Anyway, thanks for your time, I do appreciate it. Have a great day everyone.

Edit: I'd also be perfectly happy with a text-based, tabletop, or any other king of game that fits the description above. I can get into almost any kind of a game, thought I'd prefer some form of video game/single player game.
    Cave Story+ comes to mind. A pretty great game really. There's a free version though the + version is on Steam.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Myst and all of it's subsequent incarnations?

Hmm, there is that semi-new(like, within the last year) zombie game that has you on an island, it's quite fun actually.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Dead Island?

Also, Stranded II might be just what you're looking for
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-10-01 at 05:05 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Hmm, there is that semi-new(like, within the last year) zombie game that has you on an island, it's quite fun actually.
    It's not really all that mysterious, though, although you're right in that it's gobs of fun.

Risen was an island-based RPG that was pretty good (apart from the final boss fight of the game, which was awful)--not heard many good things about Risen 2, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know... you might have pretty good chances with Minecraft adventure maps, actually. (Although, they're usually not that long.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Check out Survival kids and Lost in Blue for nintendo GBA and DS I think? basic premise is you are shipwrecked on an island, survive, explore the island and find a way off if possible.
    Last edited by supermonkeyjoe; 2012-10-02 at 05:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by supermonkeyjoe View Post
    Check out Survival kids and Lost in Blue for nintendo GBA and DS I think? basic premise is you are shipwrecked on an island, survive, explore the island and find a way off if possible.
    Seconding this. I've played the first Lost in Blue on DS, and while it was hardly eye opening (some parts were actually pretty dull) it certainly sounds like it will fill your itch. There's a bit of mystery too, but it never really goes anywhere though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also Trace Memory for the DS, its similar to myst with the walking around and solving puzzles. Its pretty short sadly (only took me like 4 hours the first time throuhg) but was very enjoyable, and its the only DS game I've played so far that made use of every functionality of the DS (you even have to open and close the DS as part of a puzzle solution at one point!). Definitely worth a go if you have a DS and can find a copy.

I'll also +1 Dead Island, crazy fun, modifiable weapons, and a lot of fun to just run around exploring while making zombies re-undead .

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Survival Kids was the game I was thinking of.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Morrowind maaayybe? I mean, you're on an island. And it's very very mysterious and strange. And it involves exploration. And the plot does involve a good amount of fact-finding...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.