New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mynxae's Maliciously Magnificent Random Banter #183

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Just got back from my first practice SAT (not to be confused with a PSAT).

GAAAAAAHHHH.
    Four and a half hours give or take a few minutes. Three five-minute breaks. Started at 5:30 so dinner was ridiculously early.

GAAAHHH.
    Why did you take it at night?... I was lucky enough to take mine first thing in the morning, from 8:30-9am or so to 1pm, so I could eat breakfast and lunch at the correct time.

What is the difference between a practice SAT and a PSAT? Was this the "actual" test, and you plan on taking it again later, or is it something else?
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Why did you take it at night?... I was lucky enough to take mine first thing in the morning, from 8:30-9am or so to 1pm, so I could eat breakfast and lunch at the correct time.

What is the difference between a practice SAT and a PSAT? Was this the "actual" test, and you plan on taking it again later, or is it something else?
    This was a practice SAT, same length and everything as the normal SAT, taken as part of an SAT prep course.

I still don't see why I have to take the prep course considering the 99th-99th-98th I got on the PSAT. At least not til I take the SAT once and see how I do on the different parts. A 4.5 hour practice twice a week (first is test, second is study) til the official test just seems like too much to go into before I know if I need it.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-16 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

This was a practice SAT, same length and everything as the normal SAT, taken as part of an SAT prep course.

I still don't see why I have to take the prep course considering the 99th-99th-98th I got on the PSAT. At least not til I take the SAT once and see how I do on the different parts. A 4.5 hour practice twice a week (first is test, second is study) til the official test just seems like too much to go into before I know if I need it.
    Ah, I see.

That seems like a ridiculous amount of prep-work for a test you can take almost as often as you want...
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's a bit excessive, yeah. How long till you actually take the SAT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    ION:
    There's this film I've been wanting to see for years. Dogma. In the UK it's pretty much on Film4 every month or so, so I keep meaning to catch it on the tellybox before acquiring it for myself.
    There's a standing order at home that people are to inform me when this film's on at least three days in advance.
    Yet for some reason I always seem to find out at two points close to the end: when everyone's in the bar with the demon in the white suit; or when one of the angels has gone looping and is flying in circles dropping people onto the pavement.
    That's what, twenty minutes from the end?
    The whole reason I even want to watch Dogma is because first time that I caught the tale end of the film I saw that Alan Rickman was Metatron, the voice of God; I heartily approve of this casting choice.
    Then I found out he's very snarky throughout the entire film and I was all, "WANT!" but my want has failed me as I keep missing it.
    You know, Tasroth has Dogma on DVD. I'm sure we could figure something out.

I'm just happy they used the Metatron because one: cool name, and two: from what I remember from various religious-related things I have read he's actually a relatively obscure angel all things told.
    And it's a really cool name.
    There's a scene early on in which he's very frustrated about the fact almost no-one has ever heard of him.

And for Repo! The Genetic Opera.
    Got that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    The saddest truth is that, even should you amass the wealth to visit Canada, my own shabby environs is the last place you'd want to visit.
    I realise this wasn't addressed to me, but I still feel compelled to contradict it. While I may differ from many others in my outlook, I am always happier to see people than places, and so, were I to visit Canada, wherever you were would be the place I would most want to visit.

Graaave robber, graaave robber,
    Sometimes I wonder why I even bother
    Grave robber, graaaaave robber
    Sometimes I wonder why I need you at all!
    ...Koorli as Amber Sweet?
    o_O
    *Mind is boggled*

Kneen is the most fabulous personage around.
    Also, he has darling tastes in clothes and must come over to the UK as soon as is feasibly possible because he's just that fabulous.
    YES. All of my yes.

My visit to the UK is inevitable. I have not-altogether-distant family somewhere in England, and I wish to visit the places whence my grandfather came such as Lincolnshire Cathedral where he used to play the organ. I often suffer pangs of homesickness for the country I have never set foot in, a kind of diaspora for an unseen homeland.

[Once I left a phone message for my mother in a RP accent, and she did the same back to me -- and to hear my mother speaking in that accent was as if I heard her true voice for the first time. She sounded beautiful and I wanted to hug her.]

I shall certainly wear my blue velvet coat and a garish handkerchief when, at that time, we become acquainted over claret, mademoiselle.
    Even more yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    ... You INDIVIDUALLY ITALICIZED THOSE THINGS... Curly, you is scary.
    Of all the things about Curly, that is the one which scares you? Seriously? Hell, I would've done the same had I been posting such a list. There are far better reasons to be scared of her.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

Suitably depressing?
    You know, over here a really popular song to play at funerals is 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life', and for irony's sake 'Another One Bites the Dust'.
    (Also, 'My Way' by Frank Sinatra.)
    See also: cynical/darkly humorous Brits.

But from the sounds of it, that seems fairly certain.
    Obviously. If it wasn't depressing, how would people tell my funerary procession apart from other kinds of processions?
    And you British people! I'd prefer it if such music was not played at my funeral because I'm boring.

It's mostly certain. I just need several hundred thousand dollars at the very least.

My tortuously circuitous thinking does lend itself to some interesting revelations at times. Or at least something fascinatingly warped.
    Warped ideas are the best kind. I mean... Just last night, I was thinking to myself and came up with the idea of drawing a Piano Kraken. As in, a Kraken that lives inside a piano.
    Clearly, the most annoying kind of pest.

Kneen is the most fabulous personage around.
    Also, he has darling tastes in clothes and most come over to the UK as soon as is feasibly possible because he's just that fabulous.
    And when he does go to England, I shall sit here in Australia and be consumed with jealousy. But I shall strive forwards knowing that Australia is better than England. (But not when it comes to Architecture)
    And I agree. Kneenibble is fabulous.

A happy coincidence, then, because that buttery yellow and that purplish-pink march fabulously together, especially set off by green.

I live in Winnipeg, which is perhaps 2/3 from the west end of the Prairies. To be fair, it's not altogether as horrible as I like to declaim -- I just need to move to a better neighbourhood. Every city has its underclass of subhuman cretins, I suppose, it just seems like the overly abundant inmates run the asylum around here.

Mabel says she wants to bite your eyebrow, which is her preferred form of affection. It tickles pleasantly
    Oh indeed. I admit that I initially chose them for cultural reasons, but they make an excellent combination.
    In fact, I shall have to see whether it is possible to cultivate such an orchid.
    Though it would likely be difficult, I shall attempt to prevail.
    Actually... It doesn't seem hard according to this description at all.

Oh, and in other news, we have an orchid that used to be my Grandma's before she died. It's nothing special, but it's soon to flower, so I might be able to upload some pictures.
    And I should plant a silky oak, but my Mum won't let me. Maybe I could convince her to let me plant a smaller variety...

I thought Winnipeg was the case given all the hints and clues you've provided. But I wasn't certain.
    And you are correct. Even my fair home city of Brisbane houses undesirable elements. Fortunately, I live in a quiet neighbourhood on the North Side, which one I'm not saying, that is rather good.
    Many of the streets are named after poets and a nearby street used to a military runway during World War II. And just down the road, on land that cannot be developed due to flooding, there are a few paddocks where people keep horses and sometimes cows that are attended by egrets.
    (It sounds more romantic than it actually is)

Oh... Okay... It probably feels strange the first time a bird attacks your eyebrows though...
    But I am used to cats pretend biting...

My visit to the UK is inevitable. I have not-altogether-distant family somewhere in England, and I wish to visit the places whence my grandfather came such as Lincolnshire Cathedral where he used to play the organ. I often suffer pangs of homesickness for the country I have never set foot in, a kind of diaspora for an unseen homeland.

[Once I left a phone message for my mother in a RP accent, and she did the same back to me -- and to hear my mother speaking in that accent was as if I heard her true voice for the first time. She sounded beautiful and I wanted to hug her.]

I shall certainly wear my blue velvet coat and a garish handkerchief when, at that time, we become acquainted over claret, mademoiselle.
    *is the epitome of seething jealousy*
    I take comfort in that I'm exaggerating this. I'm really quite shy and wouldn't know how to greet someone from the Internet.
    Really, it's almost crippling.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Good point. I'm fine with my old flip phone anyway. Nothing's more stylish and "future techy" then flipping open your phone like a comminicator.
    I am in complete agreement.
    Though I don't have a phone so my opinion is useless. But I do like Star Trek.

In other news: I may get a job at a bank! Employment for the win!
    And when I have money, I shall purchase things for myself and use my funds to acquire delicious pastries from the Bakery such that I may enjoy that which I desire so much.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Part of me is excited for Hallowe'en Theme Week.. The other part of me is sad 'cause no-one wants to swap avatars with me.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hell, it's finally happened. The idiocy has finally spread to here. I've been invited to a Halloween party. What is the world coming to.

Although now that I think about it, the person who's throwing the thing is actually American herself. So I guess that makes sense.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Oh hell, it's finally happened. The idiocy has finally spread to here. I've been invited to a Halloween party. What is the world coming to.

Although now that I think about it, the person who's throwing the thing is actually American herself. So I guess that makes sense.
    I think we (roommate, boyfriend and I) might be having a Hallowe'en Party, and we're in Brisbane.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

Fascinating. They used to have competitions for piano wire manufacturers.

Also... Vectoring Pianos is hard!
    Especially seeing as I have no idea how to do the grain of the wood...
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-10-17 at 07:02 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    I think we (roommate, boyfriend and I) might be having a Hallowe'en Party, and we're in Brisbane.
    I think Feytalist is from South Africa (I might be wrong though), so I can understand if the concept hasn't quite reached him yet...

ION:
    I had a nightmare where I was caught for cheating on an exam I'll have tomorrow. I dreamed that some people where loudly lamenting about not understanding the first question, and for one second, I forgot that I was in the middle of an exam and told one of them that she probably wasn't thinking in the right way.

Suddenly, everyone went silent, and the exam watch jumped over to me and asked "What did you say?", followed by something about what would happen to me, which I didn't really catch, because I was starting to wake up, and everything became a bit blurry. Stupid dream...

IRN:
    Somehow, I got 10 hours of sleep, which I still don't quite understand how it happened yet. And I have this headache hidden somewhere at the top of my head. Oh joy.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-10-17 at 07:14 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Well... That piano only took two hours and several false starts.
    Now for the rest of the picture; Pony, music, kraken...

Anyway... As for Hallowe'en, it's not really a thing here in Australia. And it probably won't ever be except for as an excuse to hold parties.
    Goodnight everyone!

Dragons!

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

Parties are always good.

Teddy, that is like, so cool. And also, realistic. Leaping examiners peering over your desk when you say anything is a very testy thing. (BLAME THE LOUDERS!)
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I think Feytalist is from South Africa (I might be wrong though), so I can understand if the concept hasn't quite reached him yet...
    Yeah. We're still trying to come to terms with Easter.

Africa has no want or need of Halloween. And I'm quite happy it stays that way.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

15. - Top - End - #1335

ION:
    I had a nightmare where I was caught for cheating on an exam I'll have tomorrow. I dreamed that some people where loudly lamenting about not understanding the first question, and for one second, I forgot that I was in the middle of an exam and told one of them that she probably wasn't thinking in the right way.

Suddenly, everyone went silent, and the exam watch jumped over to me and asked "What did you say?", followed by something about what would happen to me, which I didn't really catch, because I was starting to wake up, and everything became a bit blurry. Stupid dream...

IRN:
    Somehow, I got 10 hours of sleep, which I still don't quite understand how it happened yet. And I have this headache hidden somewhere at the top of my head. Oh joy.
    Awe, feel better soon Teddy! *hugs*

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Ah, I see.

That seems like a ridiculous amount of prep-work for a test you can take almost as often as you want...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    That's a bit excessive, yeah. How long till you actually take the SAT?
    Yeah, its excessive. Parents didn't give a choice. Practice, fine, but I don't think I need it on the entire test.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Teddy, that is like, so cool. And also, realistic. Leaping examiners peering over your desk when you say anything is a very testy thing. (BLAME THE LOUDERS!)
    Oh, it's worse than that. Saying anything to anyone you're not allowed to talk to (that is, anyone but the exam watch and your lecturer, should he happen to enter the hall) is considered an act of cheating, which leads to diciplinary action, which may have dire consequences, and I broke that rule quite blatantly. Good thing it only was a dream. Also, below the layer of realism, it contained quite a number of loopholes, like the exam, which supposedly was on Automata Theory, having questions on physics.

Africa has no want or need of Halloween. And I'm quite happy it stays that way.
    Yeah, it's probably for the best. Can't say that I find Halloween to be much of an holiday over here either. More like a subtle attempt to get us to buy more stuff...

Awe, feel better soon Teddy! *hugs*
    Yeah, I'm slightly worried about having a headache the day before an exam. Good thing Automata Theory is easy, I should be able to make it even if my condition worsens. Still, perhaps I should take a painkiller just to get it out of my head...

Show

18. - Top - End - #1338

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    I have MULTIPLE Hallowe'en partyes to go to. So many parties. Soooo maaany paaaarties
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, it's worse than that. Saying anything to anyone you're not allowed to talk to (that is, anyone but the exam watch and your lecturer, should he happen to enter the hall) is considered an act of cheating, which leads to diciplinary action, which may have dire consequences, and I broke that rule quite blatantly. Good thing it only was a dream. Also, below the layer of realism, it contained quite a number of loopholes, like the exam, which supposedly was on Automata Theory, having questions on physics.
    Wouldn't physics problems be under practical applications of automata?

That sort of mix-matching is normally expected if the course has strange pre-reqs that only make sense when you look at the tests (why Calculus I was a pre-req for Introduction to Programming didn't become obvious until a nice little integral worm appeared on a test and you had to compute it).
    Yeah, I'm slightly worried about having a headache the day before an exam. Good thing Automata Theory is easy, I should be able to make it even if my condition worsens. Still, perhaps I should take a painkiller just to get it out of my head...
    Consult your doctor before taking pain killers if you are taking other medication, also, read the side effects and never self-medicate, it could be brain cancer (even if extremely unlikely) and the pain killer could postpone your visit resulting in unpleasantness.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post

That sort of mix-matching is normally expected if the course has strange pre-reqs that only make sense when you look at the tests (why Calculus I was a pre-req for Introduction to Programming didn't become obvious until a nice little integral worm appeared on a test and you had to compute it).
    Consult your doctor before taking pain killers if you are taking other medication, also, read the side effects and never self-medicate, it could be brain cancer (even if extremely unlikely) and the pain killer could postpone your visit resulting in unpleasantness.
    Well, it depends on the type of painkiller. I mean, there's nothing wrong with taking ibuprofen for a headache, although you should definitely go to a doctor if you have that headache for more than a couple days.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

INSTANT NOSTALGIA.

Was looking through my old avatars and found this:

Spoiler
    Show

Who can people from this era of AMEN recognise...
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    INSTANT NOSTALGIA.

Spoiler
    Show

You, Dr.Bath and lord magtok or maktog or however it's pronounced (and he mostly because he showed up in Angel(Haruki?)'s webcomic
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-10-17 at 12:03 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #1343

... You INDIVIDUALLY ITALICIZED THOSE THINGS... Curly, you is scary.
    You can't italicise punctuation. Unless it's a question or exclamation mark which in itself also implies inflection. Or part of the word being italicised obviously.
    I have Issues with formatting and typography, and to me italicised commas and full stops, mostly because it's italicising a pause in speech or communication.

I find those appropriate. I confuse myself.
    Black comedy is very much a Thing here, although there are always traditionalists and so on.

Most fabulous plumage, I agree. Trog may haps have a chance at claiming grande titles, however.
    Oh yes, Canadian Blues are famous for their plumage.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    You know, Tasroth has Dogma on DVD. I'm sure we could figure something out.
    Hooray? Hooray!

There's a scene early on in which he's very frustrated about the fact almost no-one has ever heard of him.
    Then I believe he'd be happy that I know who he is, even if I first heard of him via Gaiman and Pratchett.

Got that as well.
    After dropping eight hints-that-aren't-hints-at-all over our last sit down dinner (Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays always, other days optional) in a row I think someone finally got the idea that I maybe am slightly obsessed with Giles in this film and the music in general and that if I don't get it this year for Christmas I'm just going to snap and buy everything I ever wanted.
    That's also how my parents know that I need The Avengers film for Christmas.

...Koorli as Amber Sweet?
    o_O
    *Mind is boggled*
    Any reason why?
    At least I can sing like/better than her.
    Also the clothing is pretty cool.

Of all the things about Curly, that is the one which scares you? Seriously? Hell, I would've done the same had I been posting such a list. There are far better reasons to be scared of her.
    Such as? :smallintrigued:
    I know my mother swears that when I get talking I don't breathe.

Obviously. If it wasn't depressing, how would people tell my funerary procession apart from other kinds of processions?
    And you British people! I'd prefer it if such music was not played at my funeral because I'm boring.

It's mostly certain. I just need several hundred thousand dollars at the very least.
    We like a bit of black comedy. And those songs to tend to be slightly hopeful. Well, not the Queen one, that's just because it's hilarious.
    Also maybe we tend to be a bit more irreverent of institutions sometimes? That's not to say we don't have our fair share of 'normal' funerals, but perhaps that we might be more inclined towards humour even at funerals and solemn events than other countries.

And welp, as long as you win the lottery you're set aren't you.

Warped ideas are the best kind. I mean... Just last night, I was thinking to myself and came up with the idea of drawing a Piano Kraken. As in, a Kraken that lives inside a piano.
    Clearly, the most annoying kind of pest.
    That would be so cool. Annoying as all Hell though if you actually want to play the piano.
    Then again, I think a bookcase Kraken would either be the Best THing Ever (if you trained it to fetch and arrange your books as you wish them) or the Worst Thing Ever. Imagine getting all the slime/goo on your books! Especially your one hundred and nine year old poetic history book about some Anglo-Saxon princess whose name I can't remember but had the wonderful epithet of 'swan-necked'.

And when he does go to England, I shall sit here in Australia and be consumed with jealousy. But I shall strive forwards knowing that Australia is better than England. (But not when it comes to Architecture)
    And I agree. Kneenibble is fabulous.
    Except for the poisonous everything. I mean, your weather (around the edges) does sound lovely.
    But we definitely have more interesting architecture. Then again, I have a Thing for Notre Dame de Paris and Gothic architecture in general. Just wait until I can go to York and geek out over York Minster.
    And I was so spoiled for architecture after having lived for three years in the City of Dreaming Spires.
    No matter what Oxford will always be one of the prettiest cities I'll ever go to.

*is the epitome of seething jealousy*
    I take comfort in that I'm exaggerating this. I'm really quite shy and wouldn't know how to greet someone from the Internet.
    Really, it's almost crippling.
    As someone who is actually quite shy (but better than she was) it's fairly easy if you just remember you've been chatting to this person for months. Still hard, but not as much as you'd believe.
    I was a bundle of nerves at my first UK meetup, but after a few hours or so bonding over Munchkin I was relaxed and chatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    INSTANT NOSTALGIA.

Spoiler
    Show

OHMYSWEETHEAVENS!
    I had in instant nostalgia bomb that had me squeeing so loud my mother heard me downstairs in the kitchen.
    I mean, that's my old avatar there in the top left corner from before I started getting Bathatars! This also means I can date it reasonably well; my first custom avvie was for TLAPD in September 2007, so this was what, July?
    Also there: (top-to-bottom, left to right) Vespe; Cassie; Exy; Fullbladder; recognise, but can't place; Dr. Bath; can't place; Saur; Korith; M_C; our delicious Maggums; Xykon_Fan; PM (I think?); know him but can't place; V_Jr; don't know; Raistlin_1040.
    God, I remember those days.
    Remember when AMEN got transported to some American high school and there were dinosaurs on the loose?

Oh, Zer isn't there is he? I don't think so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

You can't italicise punctuation. Unless it's a question or exclamation mark which in itself also implies inflection. Or part of the word being italicised obviously.
    I have Issues with formatting and typography, and to me italicised commas and full stops, mostly because it's italicising a pause in speech or communication.

Black comedy is very much a Thing here, although there are always traditionalists and so on.
    Italicization is a written way of placing stress, and maintaining the stress through punctuation isn't necessarily bad, it continues the stress. In a list, I think italics for titles is an unnecessary thing (really, what else am I saying if not titles f various literatures or movies), and grammar rules should be laxed in places where the identifying grammar conventions are redundant.

Black COmedy, it is the witiological comedy. And also, only dead brits knew it.
    Oh yes, Canadian Blues are famous for their plumage.
    Quiiiiiiiiiiite. *hat*
    Hooray? Hooray!
    Horray? Whatever we are horraying for, I join in. HORRAY!
    Except for the poisonous everything. I mean, your weather (around the edges) does sound lovely.
    But we definitely have more interesting architecture. Then again, I have a Thing for Notre Dame de Paris and Gothic architecture in general. Just wait until I can go to York and geek out over York Minster.
    And I was so spoiled for architecture after having lived for three years in the City of Dreaming Spires.
    No matter what Oxford will always be one of the prettiest cities I'll ever go to.
    Gothic style is a fun fun style, but for them I think I'm bound by law and convention to be a supporter of.
    As someone who is actually quite shy (but better than she was) it's fairly easy if you just remember you've been chatting to this person for months. Still hard, but not as much as you'd believe.
    I was a bundle of nerves at my first UK meetup, but after a few hours or so bonding over Munchkin I was relaxed and chatty.
    Munchkin, it is a good bonding experience. Because you can discover your enemies.
    OHMYSWEETHEAVENS!
    I had in instant nostalgia bomb that had me squeeing so loud my mother heard me downstairs in the kitchen.
    I mean, that's my old avatar there in the top left corner from before I started getting Bathatars! This also means I can date it reasonably well; my first custom avvie was for TLAPD in September 2007, so this was what, July?
    Also there: (top-to-bottom, left to right) Vespe; Cassie; Exy; Fullbladder; recognise, but can't place; Dr. Bath; can't place; Saur; Korith; M_C; our delicious Maggums; Xykon_Fan; PM (I think?); know him but can't place; V_Jr; don't know; Raistlin_1040.
    God, I remember those days.
    Remember when AMEN got transported to some American high school and there were dinosaurs on the loose?

Oh, Zer isn't there is he? I don't think so.
    Hmn. Oi' know you, Fullblad, Bath, und that is it. (ANd cassie, but she posted it and pointed herself out so it no count)

ION:PSAT IS OVER AND I FREE FOR REST OF DAY YAY FREE AUGH MATH HRUT MY BWAIN.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Not really, Automata Theory is way too abstract. Solving physics problems in it would more or less be equivalent to solving them in machine language, which no sane person would require us to do.

That's just evil, and I think our burocracy disallows the practice.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really, Automata Theory is way too abstract. Solving physics problems in it would more or less be equivalent to solving them in machine language, which no sane person would require us to do.
    Since when have exam makers been considered "sane persons".

"Let's forbid calculators in a test which about half of the problems have natural logarithms that need to be solved; students know how to calculate them with a degree of approximation through either differential or integral calculus, so it shouldn't be a problem"... in Chemistry...
    That's just evil, and I think our bureaucracy disallows the practice.
    Pre-reqs?
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-17 at 01:27 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

Since when have exam makers been considered "sane persons".

"Let's forbid calculators in a test which about half of the problems have natural logarithms that need to be solved; students know how to calculate them with a degree of approximation through either differential or integral calculus, so it shouldn't be a problem"... in Chemistry...
    Huh, I've never had any such problems.

Pre-reqs?
    Putting things in the exam that you haven't touched in the lectures. Actually, it's almost the other way around, as lecturers intentionally refrain from mentioning less relevant details as that means that they'll probably have to include it on the exam as well, or at least make the students worried that it will be. This was the case about this particular feature in C's syntax:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    int * a, b;
    ...which is equal to...
    Code:
    int * a;
    int b;
    ...and not...
    Code:
    int * a;
    int * b;
    ...which became relevant when we tried to figure out how to make a constant pointer pointing to a variable value. I could solve the problem thanks to learning this when searching the solution for some other problem, but when I told our lecturer about this, I got a concerned answer about having to put it on the exam if he told us about it.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-10-17 at 03:03 PM.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1348

ALL ABOARD THE PITY PARTY TRAIN!

I'm a twenty-one and a half year old jobless female living in her parent's front room on a Wednesday night, half in my 'jamas whining about my life on the internet. I want a physical friend! The nearest non-Playground physical friend I have is in Oxford, the nearest physical Playground friend I have is in Falmouth - which is still twenty miles away - and he's all busy with a social life (I'm not complaining about his having one mind you).
    I want a female friend - or a male one who doesn't mind listening to things like seriously contemplating getting my hair cut really short and dyed and maybe going and getting a manicure or going shopping for actual clothes of a female sort rather than getting them second hand from neighbours and aunts.
    I want to start dating.
    And I have got literally no idea how to. I've only been kissed a few times and I want to date. Do things. Go out to the cinema with someone (even a friend), go to a restaurant, go for a walk and complain about the stupid economy and the fact that there are over one hundred applicants for every part time waitress job down here.
    Hell, I'd even go clubbing - which I have also never done before.
    So I'm sitting in the front room on my laptop in 'jamas complaining, while listening to the Disney Hunchback soundtrack (before moving onto the rock opera), and watching Minecraft LPs and reading Inuyasha fanfiction for the first time in nearly three years and eating Haagen-Dazs ice cream for the first time. (It's strawberry cheesecake and I swear I had a taste bud orgasm (not that I know what one of those is either aside from in a mildly clinical fashion) trying it, so you know new favourite ice cream because all it's missing is white chocolate to round out my trifecta of Delelctableness.)
    I swear God, I'm a week away from watching rom-coms and crying while eating ice cream.

I just want someone I can talk to face-to-face who isn't a family member. Good God, what has my life become?
    Oh Lord, I'm nearly tearing up, I swear Christ if I'm starting my period I'm going to castrate someone.

I need a life.
    How does one going about getting those IRL?

EDIT:
    Sweet Heavens where the Hell is my brain filter? The people who read RB and Media actually know more about my life than many of my RL friends.
    Why don't I just go mix myself some bleeding booze to forget what I just wrote.
    Yes, I edited a post to complain about what I wrote, but I'm not actually going to edit it, no I'm just going to add an addendum to an already pretty whiny, dull annoying post so I can whine while I whine about whining.
    Dawg.
    What is my brain.
    That's it. Time for some Mulan. To Hell with potentially pretentious foreign language rock operas based on acclaimed classic literature; I'm going to fangirl out about animated half-dressed men.
    Because I have no life at all.

DOUBLE EDIT:
    Strong martini, ice cream and eye candy. I am now every self-pitying woman in the developed world.
    Achievement Get!
    Stereotypical Woman!
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2012-10-17 at 03:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #1349

I know what you mean Curly. Atleast you have real life friends at the very least, even if they're a relative distance away.

Also, I thought you and Thufir were an item. Sorry for being presumptious.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-10-17 at 03:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1350

I know what you mean Curly. Atleast you have real life friends at the very least, even if they're a relative distance away.
    Then we can have simultaneous pity parties. Sure, we live on two separate continents and are separated by at least six time zones, ice cream, fan fic, booze and eye candy are forever!
    Loser Unite!

And there was only enough alcohol for one glass.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!