New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mynxae's Maliciously Magnificent Random Banter #183

I know, guy,s I was joking, with the first post I saw by someone I knew from that thread. I jsut made it up on the spot.

Sorry if I freaked y'alls out, I wasn't serious
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I know, guy,s I was joking, with the first post I saw by someone I knew from that thread. I jsut made it up on the spot.

You'd be surprised at how plausible it is that somebody, somewhere, believes that kind of thing, though.

There's an Africanist superiority movement that believes the Olmecs were black, based purely on a couple of head statues with big lips.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-09-30 at 10:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

... Da pilgrims still unique specials! YaaaaAaay. No egyptian hipsters on the "take a boat from the evil government" thang.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Indeed, by tailor I mean the man who makes my clothes. I stopped by on Saturday to pick something up just as he was closing, and he invited me to the back for a drink. We got to talking for a while, and he showed me his brewing equipment and gave me a bottle.
    That's quite interesting. On the other hand I've only known one tailor and he is considerably older than me, having tailored for my mother before and probably my grandfather as well, so I wouldn't know about tailor expected behaviours.
    This weekend has been just wonderful. Yes -- a fast-paced series of energy-draining joyful events. I couldn't have said it better myself. But indeed, your words particularly on interpretation of the old masters as more than an echo were really helpful, and changed my thinking. I still would like to compose at some point, but I feel less useless about only ever wanting to play Bach now.

There is more to say than that, however
    Never feel bad for playing Bach because everything IS Bach, there is no escape, every single piece in a minor key comes from his fuges, major keyed come either from his other compositions or his contemporaries. No matter what, a Bach expert will point you to Bach, even in modern pop, metal or jazz, everything is Bach. As my teacher used to say, "the only music I've ever heard that wasn't Bach was Cage's 4'33'' and I think I heard snippets of Bach in it at times". Everyone plays Bach, just a different one in a different way in a different time.
    In the mean time, do you have any recommended listening for the Toho video game you mentioned?
    That I do have.

The game music is in midi, so I'm linking to both the originals as arrangements, the only original where the arrangement is heavily recommended over the original (and perhaps exclusively so) is the last one due to being boss music and somewhat aggressive in its primal form.

Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
    [Arr] Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
    Prismriver Sister's Theme - Phantom Ensemble
    [Arr] Prismriver Sister's Theme - Phantom Ensemble
    U.N. Owen was Her
    [Arr] U.N. Owen was Her
    Which reminds me:

What's the current stance on that one theory about them being Egyptians that sailed over here before the Egyptians had switched to smooth sided pyramids? I can never remember whether or not people think it's absolute bollocks, think it's plausible and even be supported with some more evidence, or are split both ways.
    Even when one factors the fact that the Mayan pyramids are a lot later historically than the Egyptians, it still is insane. They had very different functions and apart from the idea of stacking blocks with less on each further level and with square base (which is one of the easiest way to stack stuff) there is no other linking that I know of.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-09-30 at 11:02 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Do I want to know what "shipping" is?

Eh, it's not that bad. 'Shipping' is when two characters/people are declared a couple by someone, whether seriously or in jest. Most of the time it's all in good fun - Lix ships everyone she can, Moonie's been shipped with blue ghost a lot...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #126
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks a parody isn't actually a parody unless they actually change the lyrics, but keep the tune/beat?
    Yes, you are. The use of the word parody essentially boils down to mean a "humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation" of the original. The padory happens there in the video, even though the music is not altered.

Another way to parody it, would be to leave the video unaltered, and change the song around, a la the "literal music videos".

What's the current stance on that one theory about them being Egyptians that sailed over here before the Egyptians had switched to smooth sided pyramids? I can never remember whether or not people think it's absolute bollocks, think it's plausible and even be supported with some more evidence, or are split both ways.
    You quoted a post of mine from 2008? The link doesn't even work anymore. Here, have a new one.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Eh, it's not that bad. 'Shipping' is when two characters/people are declared a couple by someone, whether seriously or in jest. Most of the time it's all in good fun - Lix ships everyone she can, Moonie's been shipped with blue ghost a lot...
    I never get shipped... I once got jokingly shipped with Atlantean by Moonie, and then AT and I stared at each other worridly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, insomnia. You bring me strange revelations, like the fact that there is no good portmanteau name for Adam and Eve.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

Give in to the bromance.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Oh, insomnia. You bring me strange revelations, like the fact that there is no good portmanteau name for Adam and Eve.
    A-dame? Ave? E-Vam? M-Adam?
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    A-dame? Ave? E-Vam? M-Adam?
    Ave is the best of those, but none of them seem to get it quite right.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Even when one factors the fact that the Mayan pyramids are a lot later historically than the Egyptians, it still is insane. They had very different functions and apart from the idea of stacking blocks with less on each further level and with square base (which is one of the easiest way to stack stuff) there is no other linking that I know of.
    That's what I said! The history of stone architecture is simply the evolution of different ways to stack blocks on top of each other. That's all there is to it.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ave is the best of those, but none of them seem to get it quite right.
    Except it makes me think of Kneenibble and Rome Total War.

...And now I've got the strangest craving for chicken wings.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-30 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what I said! The history of stone architecture is simply the evolution of different ways to stack blocks on top of each other. That's all there is to it.
    Until Newton that is. Where it became the science of calculating how to prevent said blocks from falling when the earth shook a bit, or a strong wind came.
    Or so physics teachers claim...
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-09-30 at 11:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

You'd be surprised at how plausible it is that somebody, somewhere, believes that kind of thing, though.

There's an Africanist superiority movement that believes the Olmecs were black, based purely on a couple of head statues with big lips.
    Well, I tried to make it at least sound like something where you'd have to read a few (three, four?) words in before you went "well, that's obviously bull****". Not like a certain sheep 'round these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    ... Da pilgrims still unique specials! YaaaaAaay. No egyptian hipsters on the "take a boat from the evil government" thang.
    One word in.

And LaLa, and a bunch of other people from before I left, so far bakc tha tI don't even remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    You quoted a post of mine from 2008? The link doesn't even work anymore. Here, have a new one.
    I actually clicked the link, nerd that I am, and then decided that it didn't matter if the link wouldn't work. But thanks, now I can read it!

I never get shipped... I once got jokingly shipped with Atlantean by Moonie, and then AT and I stared at each other worridly.
    Just kiss you two, everyone can see it.

Deva? Evam sounds more like a household cleaner to be a good name...
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Until Newton that is. Where it became the science of calculating how to prevent said blocks from falling when the earth shook a bit, or a strong wind came.
    Or so physics teachers claim...
    Which is something architects were doing millennia before Newton came around.
    After all, the ancient temples of the Greeks are built in an earthquake zone. The cathedrals of medieval Europe reached great heights despite wind and rain, and Angkor Wat is a monumental structure that stands, correction... Floats on the ground water.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is something architects were doing millennia before Newton came around.
    After all, the ancient temples of the Greeks are built in an earthquake zone. The cathedrals of medieval Europe reached great heights despite wind and rain, and Angkor Wat is a monumental structure that stands, correction... Floats on the ground water.
    The temples of the greek of which few stand and were mainly just columns roofs and statues. The Cathedrals which had to be frequently patched and were built due to masonry principle passed down from generations without explanation of the logic behind and which are still having to be regularly patched up. The Angkor Wat is just awesome though.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I tried to make it at least sound like something where you'd have to read a few (three, four?) words in before you went "well, that's obviously bull****". Not like a certain sheep 'round these parts.
    Hey, you still have to read the first word of my name. (Or a thousand, if you want the extra work. )
    One word in.
    VUT ZU SPEEKING 'BOOT?
    ... *leaps in AT's arms* AT, save me from the crazy woman!
    Deva? Evam sounds more like a household cleaner to be a good name...
    Adam & Eve. Simple, really. Eva-dam sounds like a beauty line, so... best name. (Edenic skin and perfection! THINK OF THE SALES!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you observe the above posts, I think you will come to perceive that it is happening harder than you have the power to control.
    I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

*sits on a high perch and chirps with mad laughter*
    *chucks stones*

I like TrollKnibble.
    I don't know which one I prefer. Dilemma.

Its how you get cooties. Us big kids are being naught-ers.

My current straightness rating is actually at 100%, not 40% for the first time in months and I'd like to keep it that way. Plus, I'm on the rebound. Not happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

The temples of the greek of which few stand and were mainly just columns roofs and statues. The Cathedrals which had to be frequently patched and were built due to masonry principle passed down from generations without explanation of the logic behind and which are still having to be regularly patched up. The Angkor Wat is just awesome though.
    The Greek temples were mostly destroyed by religious strife. A true testament to their strength is that the ruins of them still stand despite a thousand years of mistreatment, abandonment and earthquakes.

And I'll concede the point on the Cathedrals. But they were hardly built to be permanent static structures. However, a lot of them weren't done very well in the first place. But still, those that were built properly need a minimum of maintenance.

And yes. Angkor Wat is just awesome.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

The transportation of freight by boat.
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    *chucks stones*

My current straightness rating is actually at 100%, not 40% for the first time in months and I'd like to keep it that way. Plus, I'm on the rebound. Not happening.
    STONES! *hides in warm birdflesh and steals your feathers*

40%? You're giving your straightnessness a bit high for the summer, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    THAT IS SILLY.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-09-30 at 11:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Or by truck, or train, or courier, or plane...

Dragons!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I actually clicked the link, nerd that I am, and then decided that it didn't matter if the link wouldn't work. But thanks, now I can read it!
    The question still remains though, why are you reading posts from that far back?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

STONES! *hides in warm birdflesh and steals your feathers*
    I ... What.

40%? You're giving your straightnessness a bit high for the summer, aren't you?
    40% was my low for the summer. I think I hit 80% once. 60% was my average.

For those wondering, I have a girl friend who ranks my current straightness. Yeah. I don't know why either.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a solution for both of your considerations, however it requires some more testing seeing how the last subject ended up....
    The Greek temples were mostly destroyed by religious strife. A true testament to their strength is that the ruins of them still stand despite a thousand years of mistreatment, abandonment and earthquakes.

And I'll concede the point on the Cathedrals. But they were hardly built to be permanent static structures. However, a lot of them weren't done very well in the first place. But still, those that were built properly need a minimum of maintenance.

And yes. Angkor Wat is just awesome.
    They were rather simple though, roof over excessively thick columns placed all around. And the ruins are prove of materials being resistant in most cases, not necessarily design, at least for the Greeks.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

They were rather simple though, roof over excessively thick columns placed all around. And the ruins are prove of materials being resistant in most cases, not necessarily design, at least for the Greeks.
    Oh no doubt, the materials are superior.
    But so was the construction. The Parthenon in Athens is a particularly fine example consisting of stones fitted so close together that cracks run across the divide as if they were one. Furthermore, the basic design may be simple, yes.
    But that's an optical illusion.
    The Greeks were primarily concerned not with achieving perfection in construction but achieving what looked perfect, so they subtly altered their structures. The floor of the Parthenon is curved upwards to prevent the illusion that it sags. The columns bulge outwards with a curve with a radius of over a mile in order to prevent the appearance that they narrow towards the middle. Each part of each column is unique.
    And they did all of us with a workforce that used three different systems of measurement and were mostly illiterate.

It's kind of the same with the medieval cathedrals, but a lot of them were rushed and/or too ambitious so they can't make the same claim.

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #148

Hey, you still have to read the first word of my name. (Or a thousand, if you want the extra work. )
    VUT ZU SPEEKING 'BOOT?
    ... *leaps in AT's arms* AT, save me from the crazy woman!
    A thousand what?
    First letter.
    Is he holding you bridal-style?

How... does it change?

Me, I dunno, I probably am a lot straighter than I seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The question still remains though, why are you reading posts from that far back?
    I wasn't, for the purposes of a joke I went back to find some ridiculously long-ago post to respond to. I picked a thread that seemed late enough it wouldn't have been deleted yet, but hadn't been locked, and I picked the first post that came from a person I knew was still around.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh no doubt, the materials are superior.
    But so was the construction. The Parthenon in Athens is a particularly fine example consisting of stones fitted so close together that cracks run across the divide as if they were one. Furthermore, the basic design may be simple, yes.
    But that's an optical illusion.
    The Greeks were primarily concerned not with achieving perfection in construction but achieving what looked perfect, so they subtly altered their structures. The floor of the Parthenon is curved upwards to prevent the illusion that it sags. The columns bulge outwards with a curve with a radius of over a mile in order to prevent the appearance that they narrow towards the middle. Each part of each column is unique.
    And they did all of us with a workforce that used three different systems of measurement and were mostly illiterate.

It's kind of the same with the medieval cathedrals, but a lot of them were rushed and/or too ambitious so they can't make the same claim.
    A workforce directed by someone who did knew what he was doing. In regards to workforce you don't really need the guys working to know anything but placing stuff on its place, only the one directing and the one or another supervising.

But I'll concede that the Parthenon wasn't just luck and massive columns since some of the design elements do work as seismic resistant and the optical aspect is rather impressive for the time.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is he holding you bridal-style?
    More "Scoobie Jumped Into Shaggy's Arms Because He Saw A Spider" Style

How... does it change?
    Well. According to my girl friends. "I am so confident in my straightness that I come off as gay." I'm still not quite sure how that works myself, but I guess sometimes I'm just more confident.