New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I Can't Decide if I Like Snow White & the Huntsman

I just re-watched Snow White & the Huntsman, and I still can't decide if I like it or not. There was so much awesomeness, and so much to dislike. Allow me to elaborate.

• Most of the imagery was awesome. I liked everything accept the faerie realm, which felt sappy, gaudy, and forced.
    • All of the actors looked the part, but Kristen Stewart could still only portray one emotion.
    • They would keep introducing concepts and then throwing them away, very quickly.
    • There wasn't enough character development that I cared about anyone.
    • The Queen, on the other hand, was epic.
    • And her henchman was lovably despicable.
    • And the character, environment, and costume designs were top-notch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Can't Decide if I Like Snow White & the Huntsman

This probably should be moved to Media Discussions, unless you're wanting to build a game character or campaign based on the movie.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    This probably should be moved to Media Discussions, unless you're wanting to build a game character or campaign based on the movie.
    Oh! Sorry. I accidentally posted the thread in the wrong place.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

• It was different than other Snow Whites, but it wasn't bad. Take that as you will.
    • It had the most unrealistic siege ever.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-30 at 10:56 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Kristen Stewart Versus Charlie Theron.

I do not care what anyone says, I consider that a plot hole.

As far as I'm concerned they might as well have had it be "There is a succubus queen, and the magic mirror says "this half-orc is fairer than you"".

No. I do not care what anyone says. I call that a plot hole, or at least HORRIBLE casting. If you want someone to be "fairest of them all" you need to get the fairest actress you can find.

Not to mention...why didn't the queen just kill her when she was a child, it's not like she KNEW that she was going to need her later (unless I missed that part), and when the mirror says "do this and you'll never have to do it again"..um..SEND MORE THAN ONE GUARD! Seriously lady this is Evil Overlord 101 type stuff.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-09-30 at 11:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post

As far as I'm concerned they might as well have had it be "There is a succubus queen, and the magic mirror says "this half-orc is fairer than you"".

No. I do not care what anyone says. I call that a plot hole, or at least HORRIBLE casting. If you want someone to be "fairest of them all" you need to get the fairest actress you can find.
    You'd expect you'd at least get the name of the opposing actress correct if you felt that way. It's Charlize Theron.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't call Stewart a half-orc.

But yeah, she has high cheek bones and a skinny frame. Theron is taller, bustier, has a better complexion, a more beautiful face...
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    You'd expect you'd at least get the name of the opposing actress correct if you felt that way. It's Charlize Theron.
    Geeze, my mistake. Maybe I need more sleep. Either way. I've only seen her in like one movie. (I rarely if ever get out of the house).

Either way. Queen was hotter than snow white = Plot Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I wouldn't call Stewart a half-orc.

But yeah, she has high cheek bones and a skinny frame. Theron is taller, bustier, has a better complexion, a more beautiful face...
    You're right. She's worse than a half-orc. She's basically a female version of me, the most average looking girl in existence. At least a half-orc would be semi-interesting to date or look at.

Stewart in terms of beauty (at least in my opinion) is the equivalent of "you all meet in an inn" only good if it's done VERY well, which as she has proven over and over, she CANNOT DO.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-01 at 12:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured that Snow White's blood was required to kill the Queen. I was waiting for Snow White to spit on the Queen once she had blood in her mouth. Then the blood would cause her to melt or something. And then... It didn't happen.

Also, it's called Snow White and the Huntsman, but it should've been called Snow White and the Queen. The Huntsman is an important character, but he's far less interesting than the Queen.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

•Most of the imagery was awesome. I liked everything accept the faerie realm, which felt sappy, gaudy, and forced.
    •The Queen, on the other hand, was epic.
    (1) I liked that part! But then I also liked Legend (Tom Cruise movie).
    (2) Charlize Theron was the best part of that movie. Basically when she learned that her opposite number in the script is Kristen Stewart she was like "LOL this is my movie I got this." Charlize might as well have gotten the part of the Joker.

Also, it's called Snow White and the Huntsman, but it should've been called Snow White and the Queen.
    +1111111111

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Stewart's "inspirational" speech was downright hilarious. They were going for "I have returned from death's door to lead you to freedom!" but they got "I have returned from death's door so my brain is kinda loopy right now and wow these painkillers are good!"

Aside from Stewart, though, I liked most of the imagery, and Charlize Theron owns the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Stewart's "inspirational" speech was downright hilarious. They were going for "I have returned from death's door to lead you to freedom!" but they got "I have returned from death's door so my brain is kinda loopy right now and wow these painkillers are good!"
    This.

Really, I felt that the movie was average: there were many moments that could have been great that were instead brought down by various failures(Faire Land, the Speech).

I didn't mind the Siege as much, as charging like that was only made doable because they knew the gates would be open, at which point that's a legitimate strategy.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #13

I liked it, as long as you ignore the protagonist ( Honestly, I think that Troll backed down because it saw miss White as a kindred spirit).

The forest halucinaton was fantastic. All the weird things and creatures and such are worth rewinding to watch again. Ditto with the fey lands, if you can get past the sugery aftertaste in your mouths. Also, the evil overlord is supposed to be memoriable, but not to the point that she's the most entertaining charecter in the movie. I mean, yes, she was going against miss Face-of-Plastic, but realy, Ms. Theron, tone it down a bit. Poor Stewert never had a chance to....shine because you always were the best charecter on screen.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-10-02 at 10:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Kristen Stewart hatedom aside, I didn't really care for the movie. Charlize Theron was good, and there were some nice moments. But it wasn't enough to make the movie worthwhile IMO.

That said, I liked it better than Mirror Mirror, but I'm not giving a medal for that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I personally thought that aesthetically, it looked really cool...

but I while I was watching, I couldn't stop wondering why the Huntsman carried around like fifteen hatchets and nothing else.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Obviously the Dungeon Master told the players not to worry about mundane equipment and just to spend their entire Wealth by Level on extra weapons in case they get Sundered.....

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

And suddenly the forum explodes into dozens of theoretical huntsman builds which work off the use of hatchets.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2012-10-11 at 03:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    The Kristen Stewart hatedom aside, I didn't really care for the movie. Charlize Theron was good, and there were some nice moments. But it wasn't enough to make the movie worthwhile IMO.

That said, I liked it better than Mirror Mirror, but I'm not giving a medal for that.
    I don't HATE her. I have better things to do than waste time HATING a person I've never met.

I just don't think she deserves her paychecks. She hasn't EARNED the career she has. My guess is that she had family.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I don't HATE her. I have better things to do than waste time HATING a person I've never met.

I just don't think she deserves her paychecks. She hasn't EARNED the career she has. My guess is that she had family.
    Her parents both work in the TV/film industry, but don't appear to be anyone important - a TV producer and a script supervisor, if her wiki article is accurate. Hardly big Hollywood powerhouses.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It's not family, it's that she worked in minor roles for a while until she lucked into the lead in a huge earner, which is how most "big stars" make it. Kristen Stewart just happened to make it big in a role that required no effort or talent to play and was going to make billions anyway. Because that movie was successful, she is famous regardless of any ability to act, and because she is famous, she is set for future movie roles until she horribly embarrasses herself or turns 30.

I do agree that she was a slightly odd choice for Snow given that her big break role was, in fact, "average girl thrown into weird situation", but that's popularity for you.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-10-13 at 08:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

21. - Top - End - #21

Her being relatively unknown before her big break is probably why she got the part in the first place.

You know you have a film series coming up, you need to lockdown your protagonist actor cheaply and quickly. They probably made her sign the entire Saga at very affordable rate, so she is locked into low salary regardless of her popularity or success.

Plus, I believe her "girl next door" help capture the target audience quite successfully for these silly escapist romantic fantasy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I guess that is how it works. Unless you want Robert Downey Jr., at which point you might as well just hand him your wallet, if I heard correctly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack