New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [NEXUS] Nexus Scouts!

The Nexus is a strange place to live. For all the wonders it holds, all the grand, majestic sights and little intrigues to be found, so to is there danger, lurking in every shadow. It's the great heroes and villains who most prosper here, those with with the skill, cunning and plain good luck to not only seize the day, but also to survive doing so.

But these men and women of adventure weren't simply born great, nor were they handed greatness. Not most some of the time, anyway. No, they worked hard to get were they are, as will anyone seeking to follow in their footsteps. So, if a life of action, adventure and derring-do is what you're after, why not start young and join the NEXUS SCOUTS, the premiere organization for Junior Adventurers?

Founded and funded by wealthy ex-heroes, the Nexus Scouts exists to teach plucky young lads and lasses how to be the very best they can, to be resourceful, self-sufficient and courageous! Sign up today!

========

Or so the brochure says.

Camp Quixote sits at the edge of a large saltwater lake, a fragment pulled into the Nexus from some far-away ocean, surrounded on the other three sides by an ancient forest of towering redwoods. Through these wilds wind a dozen or more trails, ranging from the gravel drive that serves as the camp's main entrance, to mere footpaths of trampled-down grass.

The camp itself is composed of eleven cabins, each bearing striking similarity to a hunting lodge, with the first ten arranged in a wide circle around the eleventh. A running track bands the outer edge, conveniently marking the precise boundaries between the camp and the forest in the process, while the inner grounds host everything from stables to a modern paintball field, although building past the core cabins tend to appear and disappear as they see fit.

Today, the camp's been spruced up a little. The cabins have been hit with a first class cleaning to sweep away the cobwebs and push the dust beneath the ancient dire bearskin rugs, the grass mowed down to a somewhat manageable level. Between the two cabins facing the main drive, someone's taken the time to hang a brightly colored paper banner, reading;

Welcome Junior Adventurers!
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] Nexus Scouts!

The car ride was tiring, which was good. Timmy's powers turned off when he was asleep. Probabably by some scientific virtue of not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe he could spend the whole time sleeping, wake up, and then go home.

He'd never accuse his parents of taking him here for impure reasons, but he can't help but think it'll be a relief for them not to worry about a psychic time bomb. It had been over two months since his last outburst, so he had thought they were optimistic about the future, but maybe they've just been apprehensive this whole time.

"We'll be back to pick you up soon, I promise."

"Okay, mom."

"Try to have fun, Timmy. By the time you next see us, you'll be begging to stay."

"Right, dad."

"We love you."

"I love you too," Timmy said, tightly hugging his parents. His mother and father returned to the car, and Timmy was left just outside of Camp Quixote feeling lonely.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Floating lazily along the road, Cerise sighs and caresses the glass glass in her ghostly hand. It had been so long since her death, when she had been able to grasp at the material world. This cup had become a very important keepsake of hers, despite the fact that she had only received it the other day. It was the only material item she owned that she could actually feel.

Several minutes later, as she approaches Camp Quixote, Cerise reluctantly stops her fondling of the cup and fades into the ethereal, placing it almost reverently in her box o' stuff. Fading back, she is just in time to see a car drive away, revealing in its wake a brown haired boy, barely older than herself.

She floats over hesitantly and, a faint smile on her face, introduces herself in a soft voice. "Hi there. My name is Cerise. Cerise Mendar. What's yours?"
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #4

Timmy sees the girl float up to him. It's interesting, but only a little bit surprising. Timmy can fly. Well, he can carry himself at the very least. It's a terrifying experience when you don't trust yourself. He shrinks back a little as she gets close, adjusting his coat as he answers her. "Cerise Mendar," he repeats for his own memory. "I'm Timmy Saunders. Are you here for the camp?" He didn't see any other cars, not that the floating girl would need one, but Timmy missing something is nothing new.

My Characters

5. - Top - End - #5

Cerise smiles at him, but then looks away in slight embarrassment as he edges away. "It's nice to meet you, Timmy. I'm sorry if I frightened you..."

She blushes a little, and then answers his question, "Yes, I figured it would be good to expand my rather, ah, limited skill set."
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

6. - Top - End - #6

"I'm not scared I just have a big... bubble." Timmy has personal space issues. Specifically, he needs a lot of it. "New skill is nice, I guess. I just want to make it through without an accident."

My Characters

7. - Top - End - #7

"Oh, okay..." Cerise backs away a little. She glances at him curiously and sighs. "Yeah, I'd like to learn how to do stuff beyond assassination... Wait, what sort of accident?"

8. - Top - End - #8

"I have powers, but sometimes I lose control and hurt myself." And sometimes others, but mostly himself. That's really throwing it out there for him, but Cerise has a powers too, so maybe she can relate. "But how are you an assassain? You can't be much older than me."

My Characters

9. - Top - End - #9

"Ah, so it's control you need. They should probably be able to help you with that here," murmurs Cerise, with an encouraging smile.

Then the smile turns wistful as she continues, "After I died, the first thing I did was to kill my murderer. I found it was rather enjoyable to kill those who deserved it, so I just kept doing it. I'm probably a lot older than you, but I wouldn't know. Time flows differently for me now..."
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2012-11-24 at 03:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Entrance

There's a loud 'BANG!' coming from an area near the entrance. Should anybody turn to look, they'll see a round hole in the air leading to an isolated country road surrounded by fields and hedgerows as a small two-seat car drives through it. The car is painted purple, and has a logo on the doors for an extradimensional cross-planar import/export business.

The car will stop when it arrives at the camp and a passenger gets out of the left side of the car and walk over to join the others awaiting a scoutmaster or something. The car will then turn around and drive back, green lightning bolts collecting on a device attached to the vehicle's rear before covering the car and shooting forwards with a similarly loud bang, generating another portal to the same place as before.

The passenger is a young girl, with long black hair cascading down her back, green eyes and a pretty smile. She seems to be twelve or maybe eleven, and she's wearing a pair of jeans, a green hoody and a red rucksack.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11

On second glance, it's fairly obvious that she's a ghost. Floating, pale. But she seems to be a really nice ghost. "I'm sorry you died," he says, feeling fairly foolish. "I can understand you going after your murderer, but shouldnt you have... passed on after getting him rather than keep kill-"

BANG

Shocked by the boom, Timmy drops his sentence and puts his hand on head and shuts his eyes. Hold it in! Hold it in! Please stay in! The second boom doesn't help much. To the girls, it just looks like him grabbing his head and shaking for a bit. When he does calm down, sure he still has a grip, he looks up to see a new girl and shrinks back, embarassed.

My Characters

12. - Top - End - #12

Cerise smiles gently and opens her mouth to answe-

BANG!

In an instant, an iridescent, immaterial turquoise sword of flowing light appears in her hand, pointed directly at the loud noise. Her expression has changed as well. No longer kind and shy, her eyes are that of an experienced soldier and tactician.

A few seconds later, she realizes that the sound is in fact, not hostile, and sheepishly lets the blade fade into nothingness. Giving Timmy a worried glance, Cerise waves shyly at the new girl. "Hello there... Um, are you here for the camp too...?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Entrance

"Yes. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, but I live off-world, and reality borers are loud. My name's Natalie, what's yours?" Natalie also has extranormal abilities. Last Thanksmas she received a book of magic tricks, some of which are really magic, and she is also a latent shapeshifter, able to store other shapes and change into them but unable to gain new ones without external intervention.

14. - Top - End - #14

"I'm Timmy," he mutters, still embarrassed. "It's fine. Are you...looking forward to the camp?" Timmy asks, trying to be conversational.

My Characters

15. - Top - End - #15

"My name is... Cerise. Cerise Mendar." The ghost replies with a small apologetic smile. "Sorry about the sword... I can be a bit jumpy at times..."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Meanwhile, now approaching the camp happens to be a red-haired young druidess. Possibly with her annoyingly fast-growing brother accompanying her.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

17. - Top - End - #17

A camp counselor, a young woman in her late twenties, is leaning against a cabin, trimming her nails with a small knife. She has emerald eyes and short brown hair that appears in desperate need of a comb. She's wearing a white shirt, brown vest, brown pants, a sheathed sword and dagger, and a thick cloak colored to break up her outline and blend into a forest background. Her name is Catherine Smith and she recently escaped from being tortured for a few years in an Infernal plane. Hopefully she doesn't PTSD all over the campers.

Hadrian Druid arrives, presumably with his sister. The young lad appears to be about 12, with his mother's brown hair and his father's bright blue eyes. There's nothing physically remarkable about him, but he has enough raw psychic power for his age to make anyone genre savvy flinch.
    Last edited by FireFox; 2012-11-24 at 11:34 PM.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

18. - Top - End - #18

Cerise turns to the two newcomers. She gulps. She knew she got really nervous around crowds... Why oh why did she have to come here?

...oh, right. To get rid of those fears. Taking in a deep breath, she smiles faintly and manages to speak out. "Hi... I'm Cerise Mendar. Are you two here for the camp too?"

The camp counselor (and anyone else who may be knowledgeable about the shadier side of the law) will recognize her as Li'l Cherry, one of the most effective and sought after assassins in the business. Which contrasts quite sharply with this image of a shy girl at her first day of camp.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2012-11-25 at 12:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"We are," the redhead says with a smile, offering a hand for shaking. "I'm Jamie - Jamie Misaki Catherine Druid. This is my brother, Hadrian. It's good to meet you."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

20. - Top - End - #20

Cerise stares blankly at the hand, before realizing what it means. She blushes and looks down, muttering softly, "...I'm a ghost...so I'll probably just pass right through your hand..."

21. - Top - End - #21

Hadrian is even more shy than Cerise, neither making eye contact nor saying anything. He just stands close to his sister and looks around at everything.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Entrance

"Hello, Jamie, hello Hadrian. I didn't know you'd be coming today. Don't worry about the sword; loud, unexpected bangs make most people jumpy." Although Natalie didn't really see the sword, so...

Also, depending on if she consciously didn't pack him, Oddball may be asleep in Jamie's rucksack.

23. - Top - End - #23

Timmy wishes he could duck into his coat like a turtle, but he has to settle for pulling it up on his neck. "I'm Timmy," he mumbles, doing all he can not to run to try and guarantee the safety of his personal space bubble. Spying the only other boy, who's luckily around his age he waves to Hadrian with a gloved hand and mutters "Hi."

My Characters

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

[Entrance]

"Oh. Um. Well, I have a friend who's a ghost, and I have an...ability that lets me touch them. But I have to do something first, and you'll need to promise not to freak out, alright?"

Hadrian will, no doubt, realise what Jamie intends to do.

...and then she spots Natalie! And with a grin, goes to give her friend a quick hug!
    Oddball will of course have been invited along.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25

Brightening at the though of human(?) contact, Cerise eagerly nods and extends her hand to Jamie. "Please, do it. I... I'll try not to freak out."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

A new challenger is approaching! Er... A new challenger has approached. When and how did that camper arrive? She's currently doing nothing more than standing in one spot observing the gathering of intrepid children as if they were microorganisms under a microscope and she were a researcher assigned to monitoring their status. She's rather professional in going about it too! She's not shifting about or fidgeting or anything! She didn't make any sounds when she chose to show herself. She merely wasn't there one instant and somewhere between that instant and the next, she was!

She's weighed down with a full set of daedric armor! Not a square inch of her flesh is visible, so whether or not she is human or something else entirely is anyone's guess. But she is female! And her stature would suggest that she is either a child or a slender, stunty person!

But she's not being antisocial of her own free will or anything! Most definitely not! She's in stasis, as evidenced by her atypical conduct as she abruptly reunites with the timeline!

And by that I mean to say that she stubbornly digs her heels into the ground and childishly whinges!

"But Moooooom! I don't want to go to-"

"To- ..."

Realizing that she's already here, she stomps her right foot against the ground and crosses her arms, taking umbrage at the technique by which her mother transported her here against her will!

"Shoot!"
    Last edited by The Alexandrian; 2012-11-25 at 09:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of a tree shadow steps someone else sinister and suspicious. Also short.

Also a mysterious hooded figure.

It doesn't make any particular move towards the other people approximately her size, but she does seem to have positioned herself close to the camp's entrance at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

28. - Top - End - #28

Hadrian looks up at Timmy and waves back. He manages an uncertain smile at the other boy while stepping away from his sister.

Catherine puts away her knife and looks at the armored and cloaked people, deeming them the most suspicious.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Jamie smiles brightly, then steps back, pulling a small stick from her backpack.
    That she then raises into the air.

"I am the Druid Princess Mikani, defender of nature's beauty and leader of pure hearts!" she calls out, and a gust of wind and ribbons swirls around the Magical Girl, as she Transforms!

"Ta-dah!"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

With a resounding *thud!* the central cabin's door is violently separated from it's hinges, clattering down the steps in a hail of splinters. Down those same steps and across the makeshift walkway of the door steps the Scoutmaster, the ceremonial armor in which he's clad, each spiked pauldron easily as big as his skull, which is covered by another skull, this one considerably more devoid of skin, a helmet fashioned from the remains of a slain dragon.

Or, to paraphrase the previous- Might I introduce Scoutmaster Harris?

Hail and welcome Junior Adventurers, to this, your first day at Camp Quixote! Behold the shining lake, the picturesque forest, and know this- Fun SHALL be had by all! He bellows, stabbing at the air with a longsword for emphasis. But before fun can be had, first there are a few basic rules that must be explained! First off there shall be no leaving the camp without supervision! Second, there shall be no attacking of other students unless they really deserve it, and even then, no weapons, magic or lethal force! Third, you shall follow any instruction given to you by the counselors to the letter! This camp is not all fun and games and there is some risk, however small, hence why it is imperative that you listen to your counselors!

Finally, as it would not be adventuring without treasure, there will be treasure! Although not all counselors choose to participate, any counselor can hand out points. At the end of camp, treasure will be awarded to all, with those who've accumulated the most points being given first pick! You may earn points by excelling at activities, being a good sport and above all, teamwork! I shall repeat myself- TEAMWORK! Now, Junior Campers, having said that......

Are you ready for ADVENTURE!?
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2012-11-26 at 07:31 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.