New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 48

Random Park

What-oh crud!

Ignoring that for a moment that there was a chance that Kate could have been crowfood, she rushes forward. What's going on here? Is he sacrificing himself in a dark ritual to permit a force of evil into the world? Or was this something more benign? Sacrificing some of himself to help someone else?

Honestly, that bit of doubt is all that Keeps Kate from pulling out her holy symbol and trying to to fry the birds there. So instead, she simply rushes forward just in case.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Adventure Park]

It should be noted again that the Grimling is less than three feet tall. Unless Gerri is absurdly short kicking the monster off shouldn't prove terribly difficult. But if she's really that inept? Well. Too bad for her.

The Grimling doesn't seem inclined to politely release her. If she wants to escape she'll have to see to that on her own.

Koboden trudges forward and gives a snort of irritation. "Useless minions. Guess I'll just clobber ya myself!"

Rick heedlessly charges the hulking brute only to have his attack turned by its shield! Then takes a blow to the chest from the monster's wooden sword. The lad gets knocked flat on his rear.

Ouch...

"This is not being time for the sits, Master!"

HP: </3 <3 <3
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

The ravens retreat from the summoner, enjoying the taste of a single red eye, the delicacy they prefer. The summoner himself is left writhing on the ground in pain, his hands to the empty socket those ravens just took from. It speaks well of his willpower that he's not screaming in agony right now, all things considered.

Their price taken, the ravens will vanish the same way they came. The air around the ritual area stops feeling like it's charged, and the air becomes calm.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adventure Park

Alas, Gerri really doesn't know about the various ways to escape this situation. She always thought that the "sidewalk safety" speeches were just scare tactics and useless.

To be fair, they were scare tactics and even mostly useless, but really she should have paid some attention. Or at least stop panicking for a minute! She's really doing the bumb teen in a dangerous situation thing. Don't be that girl, Gerri!

Gerri continues to simply pull and thrash a bit. If the grimling really wants to hold on, it can.

Random Park

Kate rushes over to the summoner, to see if he's still alive/bleeding to death. She looks him over, noting especially any wounds or things that look like they Should Not Be Touched.

"Are you okay? Do you need help?"

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

Blood is pouring down his face from the now empty eye socket, "No I- ghk- I came prepared."

He reaches into his robe at this point and draws out a red potion. When he pops the cork off, it smells faintly of nutmeg. Unless stopped, he'll imbibe the clear liquid, before turning over into his hands and knees to let the blood drain out of his now empty socket, the wound sealed. His entire body is shuddering, however; that can't have been easy.

6. - Top - End - #1356

[Adventure Park]

Gerri thrashes around uselessly! The Grimling hauls back with its club to brain her into unconsciousness.

Rick rises to his feet shakily as Koboden leers down at him. Seems this guy is a little more competent than the minions are. Thankfully Rick has an ace in the hole!

"Rawr! Leg gnawings!"

And with that Myrrh provides a tooth-based distraction! Koboden roars in surprise and Rick takes the opening, rushing in and clubbing the monster right in the gut! The giant Grimling makes a wild counter attack with his sword that is easily turned aside with a flick of a club. The lad follows with a staggering blow across the monster's face!

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Dwarf in the Playground

Random Park

"Okay. That's good. What was that?"

Kate will help the man up if he lets her. Even with a healing potion, he's not going to be 100% right away.

Adventure Park

Gerri is knocked in the head by a club! She falls down, isn't out yet. She reaches over to claw at the thing with her nails... which she keeps trimmed down. That's not going to be too effective.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

He stands, still shaking, as a hand continues to rest on his face, "Huginn and Muninn. When you bind a pact with them, their price is either one of your eyes, or the sight of another. Powerful beings tend to always have prices like that."

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Dwarf in the Playground

Random Park

"And I bet that getting your eye regenerated breaks the pact."
    That's Logical, Kate thinks. The point of that is that your sacrificing something of your own to get something back. "Huginn and Muninn... those are Odin's ravens, right?"

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

The summoner breathes out, "That's right. Thought and Memory," he sits down on the grass, away from where his blood stains the ground, and reaches into his pocket for something else - a thick black leather eye patch with a pair of straps, one to go under his right ear and one over, before they meet as one in the back. if Kate gives it a questioning look, he'll say, "Like I said, I came prepared."

"Anyways, who are you? I thought I had this place warded."

11. - Top - End - #1361

[Adventure Park]

Wow is Gerri ever useless. She's like that girl who trips in the monster movie and gets eaten in the first scene.

The Grimling hefts its club above its head as it neatly avoids the clawings. "Hehe! The Baron doesn't need YOU alive!"

Aaaand then gets hit in the face with a biting, clawing ball of Myrrh.

"Rawr har! The bitings for you!"

The monster begins to flail about and drops its club.

Meanwhile!

Rick dodges another swing from the Grimling enforcer and lands a vicious follow-up! By now the six foot tall monstrosity is looking rather irritated. And a bit grumpy from getting clobbered so much. The monster slings its shield in frustration, the unexpected attack catching Rick in the shoulder and sending him stumbling!

HP: </3 </3 <3

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Random Park

"Kate Kyland. I didn't run into any wards... Oh, wait, Where do you think you are? It's kind of an odd question, but it's kind of important considering this place."

Kate fully expects an odd look. Especially if this guy is unaware that he's in the nexus.

Adventure Park

Gerri begins to get up, shakily. "Thanks, thank-" She then closes her eyes tightly and tenses up: she's experiencing horrid double vision, and she can feel her heart in her chest- no, no, not again! Please!

Gerri can't save Rick. She's too busy trying to calm down and hoping that she won't relive one of the most traumatic memories of her life.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

Odd look get!

"Uh... Southern Abel, on the border of Togarini. Why?"

Oh dear. Looks like the ritual made him a target for whatever force pulls people into the Nexus.

14. - Top - End - #1364

[Adventure Park]

Gerri continues to be a hazard to both herself and those around her! Seriously, what is she doing in a park full of monsters, puzzles, and cryptic old men? This is probably the worst place possible for her.

Myrrh gives the Grimling another chomp, finishing off the monster and causing it to vanish like the others.

"Nyar! Victory through bitings!"

He seems rather pleased with himself.

With Rick staggered from the shield-toss Koboden grips his sword and rushes Rick! The lad manages to regain his footing and dodges the headlong attack! Using the beast's momentum against it he plants a devastating attack right across the monster's face!

Koboden gives a wailing roar and POOFS in a cloud of noxious smoke! A pair of heart gems flutter to the ground.

"I... we won...?" Rick huffs.

"Nyar! We have made the winnings! And Master was hit in the face only once! Oh glorious feelings of victory!"

Myrrh is bouncing around excitedly at this point. He seems to be pretty pleased with how things have turned out.

"Collect the pointy stick thing Master! I will make the jumpings on Gerri until she feels sound!"

And with that the lizard aims to climb on top of Gerri and hop up and down on her.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Random Park

"Sorry, you're in a park in the city of Inside, in the Nexus. Yes, I know that you were just where you were, and didn't notice any kind of teleportation effect, but that happens to people. The Nexus just pulls people in; some get displaced from their homes somehow and some just find themselves here. I just wound up not too far from some tavern, and I come from a world that I don't think has any magic." She shrugs.

Adventure Park

"I'm fine! I'm fine. Just... a little dizzy. Could you help me up, please?" Gerri calms down and the double vision stops. Thank goodness. For a minute there she thought that... but that didn't happen. Good.

Gerri will get up, with or without help, and look around some more.

16. - Top - End - #1366

[Adventure Park]

Myrrh blinks and quirks his head off to the side a bit.

"What is an up? Am how to make the helpings?"

Boy is he ever weird.

Rick, meanwhile, collects the hearts and instantly heals his wounds! Isn't that useful? "This is so weird..." the lad mutters to himself as he picks up the sword and shield-

-only to find himself overcome by an urge to hold them above his head! Both items begin spinning in mid-air over his outstretched palms bathed in a golden glow!

do Do DO DOOOOOOO!

You got the wooden sword and shield! Now you can fight like a true hero!

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

The summoner blinks for a moment, looking at Kate oddly. It's a long moment before he responds.

"What?"

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adventure Park

"Don't worry about it," Gerri replies to Myrrh. She then looks over at Rick. "You okay, kid?"

Random Park

"That's a common reaction. Okay... are you familiar with the idea of alternate worlds or universes?" Kate figures he's familiar with some kind of alternate planes, he was summoning after all, but she wants to know just how much she has to build on.

19. - Top - End - #1369

[Adventure Park]

"Kid? I've already been an apprentice for almost two winters," Rick gives Gerri a skeptical look. She really isn't all that much bigger than he is. And she just spent that whole battle flailing around and screaming. "I'm fine. Those red rocks that keep appearing when the monsters vanish heal me I guess?"

That sure is handy!

He slings the shield over his back and sheaths the sword.

"You don't know who the 'Barron' those monsters were talking about is, do you?" because that would be useful information.

"Oooh! OH! There are being so many things for the seeing! Master Master! What is being that!"

"That's a rock, Myrrh."

"And that?"

"Another rock."

"OOOH! And the green things with much tall!"

"Those are trees."

"I am filled with excitement and learning!"

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

The summoner considers this for a moment, "What you told me right here is that I'm spacially displaced into a completely different world?" Even with only one eye, the incredulous look is present, "Regardless of your strange clothing, you do realize how insane that sounds, yes? Is this a common thing?"

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adventure Park

"I don't know anything about Barons. I'm just lost." She looks around some, trying to find... something. Hopefully something that doesn't want to kill them. "Let's just find a way out of this place."

Random Park

"I know how odd it sounds, yes. And honestly? It's pretty common around here. Hey, follow me to the street and then you'll believe me." Kate will gesture in the direction of the nearest street. How does she know? Because if they go that direction until they get to a street, they'll get to a street pretty fast.

22. - Top - End - #1372

[Adventure Park]

Something, huh?

Well let us see!

There's Myrrh.

And Rick.

And some trees. And shrubs. And ferns. And a small creek? Those are all somethings! And they probably aren't even hostile either! If the trees do become hostile our heroes will be in trouble. Trees are really big. No wonder dwarves fear them!

Some of the shrubs are sort of weird. They're almost perfectly symmetrical squarish things and all of them look identical. What's up with that? Myrrh is busy leaping inside one and scaring out crickets the size of rats.

"Oooh! Eating meats! Crunch munch!"

"Alright. Let's find a way out. Which way do we go?" the lad asks.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

The summoner breathes out. Either he's being made a fool of, or this odd girl is telling the truth. Unfortunately, unless someone jumps out of the bushes and yells "Surprise!" then it's the second option.

He stands, somewhat dignified at least, and takes the book off the pedestal. The pedestal simply... vanishes as he closes the large black book, which he chooses to carry under one arm for now.

"Let's go." He looks at her oddly though, "I'm surprised you weren't upset by my ritual. most who see the supernatural are terrified."
    Last edited by Halae; 2012-12-09 at 08:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adventure Park

"Those bushes look like they've been tended; they certainly don't grow in those shapes naturally. Lets got that way."

Yes.

Because that is logic.

And not that this part of the Nexus is in a video game.

Random Park to Next To The Road

"I've been here too long for that to really scare me," Kate says simply. That seems like that's quite the claim... until they get to the road.

The street sign says that this is "The Road," in fact, after someone named Charles The Huutersmith who had an unfortunate middle name. Of course, he might miss that little informational plaque due to the activity on the road.

A landspeeder is parked by the side of the road, and a catbus zips past a frankentruck that appears to have been cobbled together from a half-tack and a bulldozer. A umber hulk walks out of a store, says good morning to some sort of skeletal undead, and then pulls a lawn flamingo out of it's sack and starts munching on it. A pair of turians walk past, discussing the finer points of their favorite sniper rifles, and a kobold with a jetpack takes off and flies away.

"Yeah, you get used to it eventually."

25. - Top - End - #1375

[Adventure Park]

That... Sort of makes sense? Thankfully just wandering with a destination in mind will often times get you where you're going in the Nexus. And since Gerri is sure that following the squarish shrubberies will lead them out of the park that's exactly what it'll do.

Rick experimentally thwacks a bush with his sword.

This causes the whole thing to explode in a shower of leaves. All that remains is a stump and a roughly circular spray of twigs and greenery.

"Well... I guess that would be a useful way to make sure we aren't wandering in circles..." the lad mutters.

"Oooh! Chop bop another, Master! There may be things for getting inside! For am needing many getting things!"

It takes Rick a few moments to puzzle through Myrrh's garbled syntax and thwacks another bush. As with the previous one it bursts. Unlike the previous one it leaves a gleaming crystal heart behind.

The lad peers at the gemstone and gestures at it with his sword. "Picking these things up has been healing me. Maybe that will help with the big lump on your head?"

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    (Insert Street Name Here)

The large raptor-like reptile continues to walk the streets, eyes glued to his wrist-computer's screen, although not entirely oblivious.
    This isn't right. According to this, that builing there shouldn't be square, that's supposed to be a hat shop (I should get a hat sometime), and that alley shouldn't even be there. I can't even get the name of the street I'm on! It's not usually this wrong. Maybe it's just the nature of the place.
    Giving it a good smack, the map display changes to a slightly more accurate version.
    That's a start. Maybe it's just...what's the word? Mutable? Guess I'll have to play it by ear, he says aloud, attempting to make sense of his surroundings.
    R.I.N. approches quickly and silently and exclaims "GETH...I calculated a 68.2 percentage that you were questioning my species
    which is GETH."
    Last edited by ATAT; 2012-12-09 at 10:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

[Random Park]

The summoner blinks, and just sort of stares for a long moment

"...Given that this is obviously not my home... How are we speaking?" And of course, as he asks, he doesn't take his eyes off the spectacle before him. Credit where it's due; his mind must be pretty good not to simply be stunned by all this.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adventure Park

Gerri looks at the crystal and rubs her head. "I don't think there's a bump, and I don't even have a headache... still, you might be right." She picks it up, and it disappears, but Gerri is not The Hero Of This Story and as such has no actual visible heath bar we get to see refill. "You're right, that makes me feel a little better."

Side of The Road

"That's a good question. I know that I speak English, but I know a guy who speaks two different languages... both of which I can understand despite not knowing them. It's either some kind of amazing coincidence or, more likely, some sort of automatic translation the Nexus does so that all the people from the various places it pulls from can actually interact into the kind of melting pot you see. It's a rather fascinating topic, but no one really knows how it works." Kate looks up and down the street some, trying to find landmarks. "Lots of things in the Nexus are like that: They are weird, and trying to explain them is basically useless. And the language isn't the oddest thing: Various systems of magic, science, and on occasion different laws of physics all need to cooperate. It's a really, really cool topic."

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

[Side of the Road]

"What created this place then? It sounds as if there's a overarching purpose." The summoner asks. And, you know, he's close to right.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATAT View Post
    R.I.N. approches quickly and silently and exclaims "GETH...I calculated a 68.2 percentage that you were questioning my species
    which is GETH."
    (I think you forgot the "upon being noticed" line. Oh well, no harm done.)

He looks up, rather confused.
    Good for you, buddy. And I'm what some unoriginal humans just call a dinosaur, since %$#&*@! is apparently hard to pronounce.
    Not even TrueSpeak and the Nexus can make his natural tongue's names any less of a mouthfull.
    For similar reasons, you may refer to me as Lexington. Now, can I, like...help you with something?
    The robot reminded him of something very, very important.
    I really need to get myself a hat.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]