New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1227282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1165

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #1081
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

Mycah, up above in his tree-perch, shifts his weight and makes some noise to alert the centaurs to his presence.
    "With respect, Elder, he believe the threat to the forest has not yet ended. We successfully attacked and slew a large camp full of the creatures, including their spellcaster, yes. But we believe they were here under orders from some other enemy, who we expect to at least send messengers to this camp. By your leave, we'd say a bit longer in hopes of capturing them and putting an end to the threat."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash continues to lead her group back to the hobgoblin's old camp with intentions to wait a little for Mycah, Nathros, and Brandon to respond to their arrival.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna makes small talk.
    "How do you think the boys are doing? Personally, I feel that they can handle themselves. I guess the one to be most concerned about might be Mycah, but there's probably no real danger to any of them out there. I'm sure we'll regroup and there won't be anything unusual going on."
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

As Mycah speaks, three of the centaurs swing their crossbows up to aim at him. Only the leaders quickly raised hand signals them to hold their fire.

"Hiding in trees, chatting with hobgoblins? You are a troubling pair."
    He whistles loudly. "Our reinforcements are coming now. See to your own border at the walls of Threshold and we shall see to our forest. Go."

His demeanor, which Brandon feels he's reading quite clearly, is deadly serious. Cyllarus' began this conversation jovial and calm, but he has become somewhat agitated and anxious. He certainly seems willing to initiate hostility.

---
    Ash, Alanna, and the others continue their ride without sign of trouble ahead or behind.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-04-16 at 12:22 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros remains hidden, ready to aid his companions if things go awry.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran doesn't seem afraid of the centaurs. He ponders a heartbeat as he weighs Cyllarus' truthfulness, then nods.

"Okay, I think I believe them."

"Give us a little time to gather our things and we'll depart. Agreed?"

He waits to see if the centaurs lower their crossbows. While Bran has no qualms now about returning to Threshold, he also has no qualms about drawing his sword and retaliating if the centaurs resort to violence.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-04-16 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a 'no'.

7. - Top - End - #1087

RangerGuy

Mycah has no desire to quarrel with the centaurs on their own turf, though he is troubled that they are so defensive now, yet never discovered the hobgoblins while they were camped here. He stows his bow, moving with care, and descends from his perch, returning to Brandon.
    "We've been here for our three days and seen nothing, Bran. Time to head back to town anyway and see what Ash and Alanna were able to accomplish."

He turns to the centaur. "Our apologies, Elder. We mean no trouble for your people and would not challenge your guardianship of these woods. We'll break camp and be on our way as quickly as possible."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash responds to Alanna's chatter, "I have no idea how they may fair.
    "I imagine the best case scenario would be one without incident of any kind. Worst case would be that something unexpected happened and they were outnumbered in a fight. Without a healer or the good fortune of having a plan, they'd have little chance against the strange and dangerous beings of these woods.
    "Mycah and Nathros have successfully navigated these parts before as a team. It's more Brandon that worries me. He's a little unpredictable at times."

She softly speaks with a low voice, "I do hope they're alright."

9. - Top - End - #1089

Cyllarus smiles graciously, "Very well. Safe travels, Master Bor. Should trouble be found in these woods, we will remove it. No trouble will come to Threshold from this quarter. Please tell your Baron that the centaurs have returned to the Eastern Woods." He waves to his men to lower their crossbows. He waves again to the reinforcements now crowning the hill behind him to spread out, which they do, ranging both north and south, but not overtaking Brandon and Mycah's position.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran gathers up his gear and his horse. He very carefully avoids riding the horse, because he suspects that centaurs might find that offensive.

Before he departs, he says, "Fare well, Cyrallus the Elder and company. If you ever have trouble that you wish to avoid dealing with yourselves, send word to Threshold. The men and women of Bost's Rangers, I mean, the Vigilant Companions, will be glad to see to your needs, if the need is great or the cause is righteous."

Bran feels pleased with himself, that he remembered to advertise both the party's name(s) and develop opportunities for future adventuring.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-04-17 at 12:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1091

More centaurs can be seen as Brandon and the others depart, heading northward.

After a short while, they meet Ash and the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reunited and it feels so good.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #1092

Alanna is enthusiastic when the two groups first come in sight of each other.
    "Hey guys! Brandon, Mycah, Nathros! Glad to see you're safe!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. Yes it does.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

"Hail. Seems the woods are filled with centaurs now," Nathros says with a wry grin.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash puts her joy from seeing them safe aside to reply, "Hostile Giants too - along the way back. We'll have to avoid the area."
    Then Ash quickly puzzles to herself about what Nathros' statement could mean, "Have you spied on them or spoken with them?"

Thank goodness. I count three returned - and their horses.
    Ash lets out her small sigh of relief in the moment between her question and their response.

15. - Top - End - #1095

RangerGuy

Mycah smiles when he spots Ash approaching through the trees. As much as he missed the solitude and peace of the woods, he realizes that he missed seeing her face every day. More than he expected, if he is honest with himself. He also feels an unexpected pang of jealousy when she greets Brandon first. Stop that, he thinks to himself. Now you're being ridiculous.

"Good to see you too, Ash!" he responds. "We didn't expect you to have any trouble getting back to town, but you never know. Giants? I'm surprised we didn't find any sign of them while we were out in the woods."

"The centaurs, Ash. You should have seen them! Such... magnificent creatures. People. They weren't very happy to see us in their forest, though. Told us to pack up and get out, and that they'd deal with any trouble out here. Said we should worry about the town and mind our own business, really." He shrugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just an FYI guys, I'm heading our of town this afternoon and will be gone through tomorrow. I'll catch up once I get back.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran waves languidly as he greets the others.

"I dunno about centaurs being magnificent. All I know is they're very territorial. But they weren't lying, so maybe they really did just overlook the camp full of hobgoblins."

"Other than the centaurs, we didn't meet nobody. Especially no hobgoblins."

17. - Top - End - #1097

Together again between hilltops, the party finds a moment of quiet to decide what to do next.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash wonders to herself why this is the first she's heard of the Territorial Centaurs. Why hadn't her uncle mentioned them, or perhaps someone around town when they were asking questions about the Black Arrows?
    Perhaps they've been in hiding before now...

As Mycah beams about his encounter with the centaurs, Ash smiles, "It must have been quite a sight."

Then she reflects on Mycah mentioning her name specifically. I wonder if he did that on purpose...

---

When they get a moment - after making some distance between the centaurs and the Companions, Ash fills her group in on her activities while they were out in the woods.

She says she's had Merlinda translate the strange writings from one of the documents from the Fangs' ship and she tells them what it said.
    Then she tells them that she spoke the captain of the guards and found they're very short staffed for the arrival of the Gnomish Caravan and could use our help.

Then she tells them of the three casters she's interviewed - representing them all in the best light. She explains that she is most interested in hiring Neela based on her abilities - if she had to choose just one. She plans to contact them tomorrow morning once the decision has been made.
    She also explains that she'll take responsibility for the one she hires, just as Brandon has done so well for the Hirelings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ash intends to ride back to town with her group as soon as possible, just after a short conversation with them all before setting back.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-04-19 at 09:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran muses, "I guess we can act as guards during the Caravan's visit in Threshold."

"Did we ever find out what the Gnomish Caravan does or sells or trades? I wonder if they trade magic."

Bran looks very interested in the description of the translated document, and also about the magic-users who have offered their services.

Assuming that Ash described their powers, Bran asks, "So what can this Neela do? Did she say?"

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros voices his desire to head back to Threshold to make plans, "The comforts of the Nut are well missed."

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"Neela said she has a lot of training in the arcane basics. She can read magic, fire magical arrows like Artanis, and cast the sleeping spell like Alastor. She can also cast a detect evil spell and sometimes identify the properties of magical items. She said she's also well-traveled, and accustomed to danger. She is here for the Caravan, however, so she'll not likely be in our service until after it is over. I imagine it is the same with the lot of them."

After this short chat, the group can ride back to Threshold to return the horses and share tales at the Nut or what have you.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran sounds agreeable to Neela joining the party. He nods and smiles.

"Sounds excellent."

He begins (or resumes) his calculations for paying the hirelings and mercenaries for their bravery in killing the two very dangerous hobgoblin magic-users.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Mycah can report back to Bran that two crossbow bolts and two arrows, in addition to his own, struck solid final blows on the dead hobgoblin leaders. Any of the five shots could have been a killshot of his own, and two were as good as his own, likely hitting a vital organ.

Brandon Bor

After doing some complicated multiplication and division that involve talking to himself as he counts up, Bran approaches the 3 hirelings (Bret, Jemaine and Murray) and the 4 mercenaries.

"Men, I am very proud and happy that you chose to join us that day when Algernon was killed. I said it then and I'll say it again, your courage allowed us to win, when the hobgoblins' dastardly magic had half the party paralyzed."

"Both their magic-wielding leaders are dead from your missiles. Mycah found 4 of them, in addition to his own, in their bodies."

"I did some figuring, and I got that I owe y'all a total 320 gold. No one can figure out -who- loosed the killing shafts, so to be fair I'd like to divide it by 7, which gets each man about 45 gold and some silver."

"Does that sound fine with you?"

24. - Top - End - #1104

The return trip to Threshold is uneventful, and the queue to get into town is much smaller now than it was mid-afternoon. The common room at the Nut is quite packed with many obvious visitors to the town.

---
    The hirelings seem content with the reward Brandon offers. The three henchmen return to the Bor farm once in Threshold.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-04-21 at 10:03 PM.
    Forum Rules

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros settles in at the Nut, taking the time to thoroughly cleanse off the grime and blood of adventure, relaxing in comfort and supping some dark ales. "Mayhaps it is time to find out more about this spider tomb," he remarks to Mycah when next the opportunity arises.

26. - Top - End - #1106

RangerGuy

Mycah returns to his room at the Nut and, like Nathros, takes some time to clean up, then returns to common room for a drink.
    "It is the biggest loos end, isn't it," he responds to the "spider Lair" comment. "I think we need to at least see if we can find something, and look for signs of disturbance, but Merlinda said those notes say not to disturb anything there. Maybe Alanna can ask at the church and see if they know more about the old legends. Oh, wait. She already did that didn't she? They warned us clear of the spider people, I think..."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"Yes, it's been looked into. Perhaps Neela - or one of the others I interviewed - would know a little more. I'll contact her for hire in the morning in any case.
    "For now, I think we should stick around town and help out the local guards if possible. Might not be much or any pay in it, but our faces will become more well known and that's good if we want to receive more work.
    "If there is still a plot to occur during the festivities, perhaps we'll pick up on some clues that will help us prevent it."

28. - Top - End - #1108

The arrival date of the Gnomish Caravan has been confirmed. Riders arrived yesterday to advertise their arrival in exactly one week.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash informs Brandon that the cart of dead gobs/heads are still at his family's farm for him to do with as he will.

The next day, Ash will retrieve her money from holding and put it back in the safe at Bost's manor.

She will also inform Neela over breakfast at the Nut that she has been chosen to join. She'll tell her that she'd like her to generally try to help where she can and offer insight when it's helpful. She'd like Neela to be aware that she'll be expected to prepare her spells to best aid the party whenever possible. In turn, she'll be rewarded an equal sum of the loot acquired during each adventure she is to take part in. When possible, the aid of a little ranged weaponry is appreciated.
    She also offers that if ever there are more than one option to pursue in battle (like perhaps there are more than one set of orders tossed her way) that she should first remember to be cautious and protect herself if she feels directly threatened, then to do what she thinks is most reasonable to aid the group as a whole - mainly in surviving and secondarily thwarting the villains.
    She ends this with a hand shake and a, "Welcome to the team."
    Then she'll ask that Neela prepare a magical detection spell and an identify magics spell the next she has an opportunity. Her group has recently come back from a mainly successful raid on a hobgoblin camp and she'd like to sell the spoils as soon as possible to keep everyone's pockets sated.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-04-30 at 11:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1110

Alanna wakes up, feeling better-rested than she has in a while. At first she's nervous she overslept, but she quickly discovers that she awoke at her usual time. She thanks the Immortals for this blessing while she meditates and prays for spells.
    She feels a little extra space in her brain for spells, and discovers that, even though she didn't cast her Hold Person spell yesterday, she can prepare another spell of the second order.
    Alanna also notes that she feels a little stronger and tougher, and considers the words of the temple elders. They did say I was learning quickly…
    ---
    When Ash introduces the new mage, Alanna shakes her hand.
    "Nice to meet you, Neela! And I'm glad there's one more girl on the team besides me and Ash."
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show