New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Avatar build challenge.

As a nerd that has only recently discovered we actually have a culture, I just finished watching Avatar. And as some of you have learned, when I see something I like, I try to figure out how to make them using game mechanics. So now my mind has turned to the various -benders.

The firebenders are easy, blaster wizard or fire elemental sorcerer, but that doesn't really get into the physical aspect of things.

But the others are harder to figure out. Mixing the elemental attacks with the physical fighting makes this an interesting challenge. So I want to see what people can think of. How would different character would be portrayed, or just generic -benders be represented.

Make it so!

Bonuses for building the Avatar, and for doing any of the builds without the Monk class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar build challenge.

there exists a 4e handbook of home brewed classes for this. They even cover all four roles-earth defender, air controller, water leader, and fire striker

it is cool, but I've never played it, and don't have the link handy.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's the link mentioned by Psiclone:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/16920521/C...ns-4th-Edition

It's pretty well done, though I haven't gotten to actually play with the classes either.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    The Lord of the Rings
    Farewell speech of Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'A Long-Expected Party'.

Many thanks to onasuma and Dark Elf Bard for the adorable avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually used those classes for my summer campaign. They were pretty good.

However, I expect that Tegu was looking for "real" classes.

For Earthbenders, I'd recommend the warden. It has lots of earth-themed powers.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I actually use the linked supplement for an Avatar 4e campaign I'm currently running. There are some balance issues with some of the classes, but they each do a fantastic job at representing the various benders.

One of the problems with using reflavoured official classes is most of your results aren't going to be able to manipulate their element outside of attacks (unless you house rule or the players do some serious item digging...or if one of them is a wizard), however the supplemented classes take care of this, giving each bender an at-will ability to do exactly this.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I was looking for "real" builds, but homebrew is always interesting, and I can completely understand why they would need to be created. I'll have to look at them. Does it include an Avatar?

Following the pattern, I see maybe:

Earthbender (Defender) Warden
    Firebender (Striker) Pyromancer
    Airbender (Controller) Eh?
    Waterbender (Leader) Um?
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    I was looking for "real" builds, but homebrew is always interesting, and I can completely understand why they would need to be created. I'll have to look at them. Does it include an Avatar?

Following the pattern, I see maybe:

Earthbender (Defender) Warden
    Firebender (Striker) Pyromancer
    Airbender (Controller) Eh?
    Waterbender (Leader) Um?
    Hmmm airbenders could be psions or someone in the wizard class specializing in force and thunder(which is sonic) magic or u could modify some some wizard with force movement, stunning, slowing or immobilizing spell to either force type or thunder type. As for water bender I think shaman would be a nice choice normally. Have to chance damage types to maybe cold type

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just use the Elementalist Class. Earth, Air, Fire and Water, are the 4 variants of the Elementalist anyway.
    Awesome avatar created by Ceika!!!! Thank you.

In D&D 3.5 I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

In D&D 4e I am a Chaotic Good Eladrin Bladesinger. Yep, simple as that. No test, at all. I just am.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Not to mention the desert wind monk from the same book, a fire themed monk build that pretty much screams fire bender. Otherwise monk/sorceror hybrid might work for air bender... Didn't see you wanted non monk builds at first though i still thinks desert wind fits the fire-bender concept most accurately
    Last edited by Einrikr; 2012-09-27 at 05:55 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Yea, I only wanted to exclude the monk because of how obvious it is. Creativity is the point, but I agree, Elemental sorcerer and monk are good. If only a hybrid of the two could be mad, but those sorcerer powers don't have numbers.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

smile Re: Avatar build challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Yea, I only wanted to exclude the monk because of how obvious it is. Creativity is the point, but I agree, Elemental sorcerer and monk are good. If only a hybrid of the two could be mad, but those sorcerer powers don't have numbers.
    Well pure class monk could be the air bender since alot of the powers of the monk seems like air bending but if u do this it wont be a controller of which is the stuff ur looking for , wizard still takes the cake just limit it to force and thunder(which is sonic) spells or chance some spells element which u see is fitting( like Bigby's Icy Grasp) for an air bender element to either thunder or force and wala u have an air bender
    Last edited by tarlison; 2012-09-30 at 09:02 PM.