New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default OotS the Series?

I'm not really sure if this belong here or in the Media Thread, so feel free to move it if it's wrong.

Anyway, my group and I recently came up with the idea of how Order of the Stick would be as some sort of television series. In general we agreed that it would be best animated, but who would play which character?

Amongst our more sane ideas we had Samuel L. Jackson as Roy, James Earl Jones as Xykon, John Clesse as Redcloak, and Dominic Monaghan as Belkar.

So what do you guys think? Have fun.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OotS the Series?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Lord View Post
    I'm not really sure if this belong here or in the Media Thread, so feel free to move it if it's wrong.

Anyway, my group and I recently came up with the idea of how Order of the Stick would be as some sort of television series. In general we agreed that it would be best animated, but who would play which character?

Amongst our more sane ideas we had Samuel L. Jackson as Roy, James Earl Jones as Xykon, John Clesse as Redcloak, and Dominic Monaghan as Belkar.

I hate your voice actors. Xykon with a deep voice? I can't see it. And I see Roy as way too young to be played by Samuel L. Motha****in' Jackson(full name).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

They were just ideas being thrown around. And Xykon does say in SoD that he sounds a bit like Vader (i.e. Jones)

If you don't like those then what are your picks? Or pick different characters, whatever.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I hate your voice actors. Xykon with a deep voice?.
    Yeah, what absurd mind wouldthink of that? Other than the creator of oots.

Though on a less snarky note I tend to read xykon as James Woods, everyone else I just read in my voice but in different pitches, because I'm lazy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always "heard" Xykon's voice as resembling Darth Vader's (but with a sort of low rasping sound because of the undead-ness), myself.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dunno if Dominic Monaghan could pull off the psychotic-ness needed to play Belkar--even in Lost when he was supposed to be playing drug-addled rock god he was still essentially *nice*. Tom Hardy, maybe? He was one of the best things in Star Trek: Nemesis and he's only got better since, IMHO. Of course, when it's just the voice you're using that's a completely different skill in any case, so maybe you'd be best off thinking about dedicated voice actors. (In which case, I *so* nominate Jennifer Hale to do Haley's voice!).

7. - Top - End - #7

I could see John Dimaggio pulling off Xykon

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan: Yuri Lowenthal (High pitched and youthful)
    Haley: Jennifer Hale (Strictly speaking Haley isn't tough enough for Hale's usual roles, but it's a good enough fit)
    V: Karen Strassman (Not meant to be a statement about gender, but an androgynous woman sounds more gender neutral than an androgynous man)
    Belkar: Steve Blum (Yes, I know he could voice every male character. "Default" raspy Blum, probably pitched up somewhat)
    Horace Greenhilt: Jameson Price (Because seriously, it's perfect)

Nale: Johnny Yong Bosch (Almost identical to Lowenthal but a little deeper)
    Sabine: Michelle Ruff (She's got a really good range, perfect for a shape shifter)
    Thog: Fred Tatasciore (Does really good brutes)
    Tarquin: Grant George (Can do high and low equally well, one with the helmet on and one with it off)

Xykon: Crispin Freeman (Because can't you just imagine him declaring himself to be ONE BADASS FREAKIN' OVERLORD)
    Redcloak: Liam O'Brien (Best voice actor for best character. Plus a British accent fits Redcloak; although not quite as strong as he usually does it)
    Tsukiko: Laura Bailey (Can do perky and malevolent really well)
    MitD: Dave Wittemberg (Very child-like)
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2012-10-11 at 02:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm pretty sure that when Xykon compares himself to James Earl Jones, he's referring to the "voice of the legion"/reverb effect that the black speech bubble represents. It doesn't necessarily mean anything about his actual voice, as such.

And isn't there a thread like this already?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    And isn't there a thread like this already?
    This thread appears every couple of weeks. The mods prefer people to restart dead threads instead of necroing them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    This thread appears every couple of weeks. The mods prefer people to restart dead threads instead of necroing them.
    It was last posted in less than two weeks ago. I wouldn't call that "dead".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It would actually be really interesting to see how an animated series would tell the story differently, like anime and manga often does.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mark Hamill could probably do a kickass Xykon. Less maniacal laughter than for the Joker and set deeper, more calm but with the same variation in mood and pronunciation. And with the same creepiness or rage when creepiness or rage are required.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Mark Hamill could probably do a kickass Xykon. Less maniacal laughter than for the Joker and set deeper, more calm but with the same variation in mood and pronunciation. And with the same creepiness or rage when creepiness or rage are required.
    +1

This is who I would like to see play Xykon though now that someone said James Woods I'm torn.

Ever since James Woods went kinda crazy in Family Guy I've been wanting him to play a villan on more stuff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I'm not sure if he'd get the right edge of Xykon's wackiness... that and he usually has a bit too much of a nasal to voice someone without a nose.

Then again, he's exceptionally good at mimicry. He could get a lot of mileage out of his muppet-mocking tricks. Having the Oracle sound like a Yoda knock-off (in voice, not in diction) would be even more annoying.

Mm... Assuming the "Roy in Heaven" arc makes it, I'd stunt-cast Sam LMF Jackson for Grandpa Greenhilt.
    {Hits evil caster with his caster-disrupting strike} "Oh I'm sorry, did I ruin your concentration?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    I'm not sure if he'd get the right edge of Xykon's wackiness...
    He's The Joker.
    He brings the whacky plenty.

Although he can never reuse the Joker voice

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Elan: Yuri Lowenthal (High pitched and youthful)
    Haley: Jennifer Hale (Strictly speaking Haley isn't tough enough for Hale's usual roles, but it's a good enough fit)
    V: Karen Strassman (Not meant to be a statement about gender, but an androgynous woman sounds more gender neutral than an androgynous man)
    Belkar: Steve Blum (Yes, I know he could voice every male character. "Default" raspy Blum, probably pitched up somewhat)
    Horace Greenhilt: Jameson Price (Because seriously, it's perfect)

Nale: Johnny Yong Bosch (Almost identical to Lowenthal but a little deeper)
    Sabine: Michelle Ruff (She's got a really good range, perfect for a shape shifter)
    Thog: Fred Tatasciore (Does really good brutes)
    Tarquin: Grant George (Can do high and low equally well, one with the helmet on and one with it off)

Xykon: Crispin Freeman (Because can't you just imagine him declaring himself to be ONE BADASS FREAKIN' OVERLORD)
    Redcloak: Liam O'Brien (Best voice actor for best character. Plus a British accent fits Redcloak; although not quite as strong as he usually does it)
    Tsukiko: Laura Bailey (Can do perky and malevolent really well)
    MitD: Dave Wittemberg (Very child-like)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Mm... Assuming the "Roy in Heaven" arc makes it, I'd stunt-cast Sam LMF Jackson for Grandpa Greenhilt.
    {Hits evil caster with his caster-disrupting strike} "Oh I'm sorry, did I ruin your concentration?"
    *casts Wish to transport both of you to the Non-Elemental Plane of Cookies*
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Liam Neeson as Tarquin.
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

For reasons still inexplicable even to myself, I've always thought of Xykon as having a voice like Hector Con Carne >.>
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Lord View Post

I hate your voice actors. Xykon with a deep voice? I can't see it. And I see Roy as way too young to be played by Samuel L. Motha****in' Jackson(full name).
    Very minor SoD spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Xykon first becomes a lich, he comments his voice sounds just like James Earl Jones. He even says "'Luke, I am your father,' sounds just like him right?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I always have trouble with Roy simply because the two actors who I feel would fit the best (Samuel L Jackson and Keith David) are simply too old. I'm picking Dee Bradly Baker, simply because his voice is varied enough that he could probably come up with a brand new character voice that he hasn't used for any of his other characters, but would fit Roy perfectly.

Vic Mignogna, after hearing him voice Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club I think it's safe to say he has the "idiot hero" thing down perfectly.

Josh Phillips. Admittedly, he is not a particularly well-known voice actor, in fact, the only character I've seen him play was Jan Valentine from Hellsing. That's why I'm providing a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHFQj06gWyc WARNING! THAT VIDEO IS EXTREMELY NSFW, VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK. Suffice to say, if he ever did voice Belkar, the performance would actually have to be toned down compared to his performance in Hellsing.

Jennifer Hale, it becomes pretty clear after playing Knights of the Old Republic that she's perfect to play Miko.

Shojo: George Takei. Why? Because it's George mother-freaking Takei that's why! Seriously, try reading strips #289 and #290 while picturing Shojo being voice by George Takei, he's perfect!

That's all that I can think of for now.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

22. - Top - End - #22

Xykon - Richard Epcar or Billy Zane.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    Vic Mignogna, after hearing him voice Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club I think it's safe to say he has the "idiot hero" thing down perfectly.
    No. No! NO! FMA is one of my favorite animes ever. I will not hear the great Edward Elric - a smart and cunning alchemist - be shouting stupid things like "I GOT A FOUR!!!"

That's why we have Sean Schemmel.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Yes. Yes! YES! FMA is one of my favorite animes ever. I would pay to hear the great Edward Elric - a smart and cunning alchemist - be shouting stupid things like "I GOT A FOUR!!!"
    Fixed. I just now imagined some of Elan's funnier moments in Edward's voice, and it was the best thing ever.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    My Name is Sith_Happens and I'm totally writing this and not someone else editing a quote and I take back what I just said. Vic Mignogna would make a terrible choice for Elan, and Dr. Epic is right as he always is because he's awesome and amazing and this isn't him writing this. It's Sith_Happens.
    Fixed it for you.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

No. No! NO! FMA is one of my favorite animes ever. I will not hear the great Edward Elric - a smart and cunning alchemist - be shouting stupid things like "I GOT A FOUR!!!"

That's why we have Sean Schemmel.
    Sean Schemmel could work I guess, I mostly picked Vic Mignogna over him because I've never been a huge fan of DBZ, and because the first two things I saw Mignogna in were the afformentioned Orren High School Host Club where his character is basically an even more over-the-top version of Elan, and Soul Eater where his character is basically the butt monkey comic relief about 80% of the time.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Fixed it for you.
    I would say something about that not making sense, but I just finished watching Gurren Lagann and it's going to take at least a day for my sense of logic to come back.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    Sean Schemmel could work I guess, I mostly picked Vic Mignogna over him because I've never been a huge fan of DBZ, and because the first two things I saw Mignogna in were the afformentioned Orren High School Host Club where his character is basically an even more over-the-top version of Elan, and Soul Eater where his character is basically the butt monkey comic relief about 80% of the time.
    Vic Mignogna is in Soul Eater? Maybe I shouldn't had stopped watching that series. I kept watching the series up to the battle for brew or whatever that thing was: when all the characters fight in the snow. Who does he voice?

Wait, was he Maka's father? If so, how the heck did I miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I would say something about that not making sense, but I just finished watching Gurren Lagann and it's going to take at least a day for my sense of logic to come back.
    Speaking of TTGL, why not Kyle Herbert as Elan? I can imagine that. They both do ridiculously stupid things caring more about style and somehow through luck or pure awesomeness make it through victorious.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    It would actually be really interesting to see how an animated series would tell the story differently, like anime and manga often does.
    Unfortunately I just don't think it would work at all. OOTS is just too thoroughly married to its format; jokes about fitting in the panels or reading the compilation book are all over the frigging place, I don't know how much of a scalpel you'd have to take to it but it wouldn't be pretty, and I don't think it'd be worth it. Which is a shame because it is a great story, but I think the Adaptation Decay would just kill it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Unfortunately I just don't think it would work at all. OOTS is just too thoroughly married to its format; jokes about fitting in the panels or reading the compilation book are all over the frigging place, I don't know how much of a scalpel you'd have to take to it but it wouldn't be pretty, and I don't think it'd be worth it. Which is a shame because it is a great story, but I think the Adaptation Decay would just kill it.
    That could all too easily happen, yes. (It happens to most screen adaptations.) One of the worst things that could happen would be if the screenwriters got too hung up on being faithful to the source, so they slavishly try to transcribe every joke that only works in the comic format.

(That's been the death of every Terry Pratchett screen adaptation I've ever seen - complete lack of initiative or confidence on the part of the screenwriters.)

But it's not inevitable. If Rich were prepared to invest huge amounts of time in rewriting, and had a skilled screenwriter to help him, the result could be a completely new version.

And that scenario, I think, contains the answer to whether it would be a good thing. Do you really want Rich to invest all his creative time and energy on retelling a story he's already told?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain