New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Can a Rogue PrC into a Techsmith?

I know, I already made a thread about Ferrus Pax (My Warforged Crusader/unarmed tank), but now I need to know if Rogues (like my Shifter, Kaya) can PrC into Techsmith. It sounds like what I saw her 4E class (An Artificer) to be, and it seems like it could be a good fit for her character. Unfortunately, it requires a spell, apparently.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Can a Rogue PrC into a Techsmith?

Not just any spell, but minor creation, a 4th-level spell. You're going to have a very hard time getting that without being a straight spellcaster. In any event, the PrC's not very good, particularly for someone who isn't a primary spellcaster. Artificer/Techsmith might be OK.

There is an Artificer class in 3.5, you know, in Eberron Campaign Setting. It's quite good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Not just any spell, but minor creation, a 4th-level spell. You're going to have a very hard time getting that without being a straight spellcaster. In any event, the PrC's not very good, particularly for someone who isn't a primary spellcaster. Artificer/Techsmith might be OK.

There is an Artificer class in 3.5, you know, in Eberron Campaign Setting. It's quite good.
    I know of the 3.5 Artificer, but unfortunately, Shifters have some nasty penalties to charisma and intelligence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The LOBster View Post
    I know of the 3.5 Artificer, but unfortunately, Shifters have some nasty penalties to charisma and intelligence.
    Ah, well then. Yeah, unfortunately Shifters are a decidedly poor race in 3.5. Net -2 in exchange for an opportunity to shift 1/day to get +2 to something... bringing you to the same net-0 every other race has by default.

Anyway, beyond very low levels, you can probably play a Shifter Artificer OK enough anyway. The penalties only amount to a -1 anyway. Ranks are going to counteract that quickly anyway.
    Last edited by Answerer; 2012-10-01 at 08:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Net 0 is better than -1 or -2 depending on who you ask about the warforged scout. It doesn't even list their slam attack anywhere in MM3, thus suggesting they dont get one at all.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I played a Rogue/Wizard/Techsmith and it was quite fun. Not high powered, but fun.
    Current homebrew in development: Wild Surge Rager