Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Genesis

The Genesis plane can of course be a souped-up Rope Trick plus as much storage as you need. I'd suggest that you talk with your DM about the additional implications of a altered time frame. He's clearly already having trouble challenging you, and being able to arrive into any situation complete refreshed after six seconds is going to amp up your power level significantly. Ask yourself and the DM: what's going to serve this game?
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    A 3.5 Epic story:

DM: "Oh no! Baron King Arch-Fiend recently-ascended Eldritch Horror Von Evil has taken the omni-"

Player: "-I go back in time and kill Baron Von Evil the moment he's born" [scratches 1,000xp off his sheet]

DM: [throws pile of notes into garbage]

Player: "Is that it for the day? I've still got both my Epic slots open..."
    That tactic would work, but Von Evil has portfolio sense now since he is a God and I'm pretty sure a time assassination would trigger it. He would pop in, dispel your mind blank, mind rape you and have you try that tactic all over again on your party.

The moral of this story? Never play Rocket tag with a guy that has "recently-ascended" in his title, because he JUST might have 16 DvR
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-07 at 02:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    That tactic would work, but Von Evil has portfolio sense now since he is a God and I'm pretty sure a time assassination would trigger it. He would pop in, dispel your mind blank, mind rape you and have you try that tactic all over again on your party.
    The age-old debate: does the death (or incapacitation) of a god affect their portfolio? If so, add a few steps to gain immunity to portfolio sense, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    The age-old debate: does the death (or incapacitation) of a god affect their portfolio? If so, add a few steps to gain immunity to portfolio sense, obviously.
    ... People actually debate that? Well, let me ask this: Does the collapse of a major banking firm not effect there clients (Divine Agents), employees (Worshipers), Embezzlers (Ur-Priest)? Because I'm sure that nobody is left to write either of these parties checks (send spells) if the boss (God) is dead.

Does the top of the Pyramid not fall if the bottom cannot sustain it!?

I'd like us to end this discussion here and now since it would be derailing
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-07 at 04:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

But portfolio sense is limited to that portfolio. If it's death/destruction/combat/violence/life/immortality/godhood it sure would ping.

But if it's sea(etc)... what has the death of a god, got to do with it? Sea will still be there, even there's no sea god.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    But if it's sea(etc)... what has the death of a god, got to do with it? Sea will still be there, even there's no sea god.
    That depends on how you set up the cosmology. I see no reason why you could not have a setting where Ra is the Sun and Geb is the earth.

Even short of that it depends on what role you think that, for example, the god of the Sun has in the daily operation of the Sun. If Apollo or Helios literally drives the Sun across the sky each day, then the fact that the Sun will no longer rise after their death (or will have someone else driving it) will likely make it ping their portfolio sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Ok for all those people who can not read I will post the sheet.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=434710
    Assassin is a PRC. You can't just be Assassin 15. You have to be at least level 5 before you can take Assassin 1, and you have to be at least level 20 before you can take Assassin 11 (since levels 10+ in the class are part of the epic PRC advancement).

Either you were fighting a Rogue 5+x/Assassin10-x (my guess) or some homebrewed (or maybe Pathfinder?) Assassin 15.

Either way, this has profoundly different implications for the power level of your game than fighting an actual character with 15 levels in assassin (which would indicate an effective minimum CR of 25).

So anyways please people only things about the gensis spell that could be useful. Thank you.
    The utility of genesis varries widely based on some fairly subjective readings. If you can set the time trait (which you might be able to do), you can essentially break the long run action economy. If you can set the Morphic traits (which you might be able to do), you can effectively break casting economy.

Essentially, we need to know which planar traits are fair game. The Eberron cosmology in particular introduced some strange ones.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2012-10-07 at 08:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

again gensis spell please...
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alexander Anderson-Shadows of the Past

Alucard servant of Lady Fierna
    And his trusty servant Belphegor

Summon monster list

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

But I plan on using it as a way to get a free planar ally, well greater at that point. Tell it I will make a world devoted to followers of Pelor where time is at a standstill and the sun always shines so on so forth.
    For that, here's what comes to mind:

General Environment:

A beautiful, pristine landscape (the plants will have to be created/added separately as per the spell description) with a clear blue sky and moderate climate. There is no concept of night here; the demi-plane is lit by sunlight at all times.

Traits:

Normal gravity.

Normal time.
    (You can pick something else if you want to, but it's not necessary to do so in order for the sun to always shine.)

Divinely morphic. The demi-plane is morphic to beings of at least greater diety status and alterable in the normal manner for all others.
    (This is in case you can get Pelor himself to come for a visit.)

Minor positive-dominant.

Strongly good-aligned.

Impeded magic. Spells and spell-like abilities of the Necromancy school and those with the [Evil] or [Darkness] descriptors are impeded.

Enhanced magic. Spells and spell-like abilities of the Healing subschool and those with the [Good] or [Light] descriptors are maximized, empowered, extended, and widened.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

???

Dispel Magic merely suppresses a magic item's magical qualities for 1d4 rounds, after which it works good as new. To affect your items at all, it has to be the targeted version, and specifically targeted at you.
    Actually, it has to be specifically targeted at the item. Targeting it at a person will only affect the spells cast on that person, not the magic items that person is wearing.

That's 1 casting of dispel magic for each item that assassin is wearing.

So, in other words, he beat the encounter because they were doing it wrong.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Minor positive-dominant.

Strongly good-aligned.

Impeded magic. Spells and spell-like abilities of the Necromancy school and those with the [Evil] or [Darkness] descriptors are impeded.

Enhanced magic. Spells and spell-like abilities of the Healing subschool and those with the [Good] or [Light] descriptors are maximized, empowered, extended, and widened.
    Per Pelor's status as the Burning Hate, I don't think it would be good-aligned or bar evil spells.
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Per Pelor's status as the Burning Hate, I don't think it would be good-aligned or bar evil spells.
    Personally, I think the demi-plane would have the "Unearthly heat" temperature at all times, Major Positive Energy trait, would maximize all positive energy spells and cause all creatures to take damage from healing spells as if they were inflict spells... No idea how that last one would work...