New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Looking for an Artist to partner with...(DESPERATELY searching)

As the title says. I have a lot of ideas for plots for mangas/comics. However, my art skills suck. Not just in a minor way but in a "wow, this sucks beyond any kind of salvation" way.(OOTS, despite using stick figures, has higher quality visuals then I can produce...so yeah.) As a result, none of my ideas have ever seen the light of day and I have become extremely depressed over this fact. So much it has in the past invaded by schoolwork and personal life to a significant degree. But anyway....enough on that. I don't want to get into personal issues. What I do want to do is put out there that I am looking for somebody who would be willing to partner with me to make a comic of some kind.

I have plenty of ideas, settings, plots ect... but they would take up too much space if I listed them all here. As a result, I will first ask if anybody is even interested in working with me and, if they are, I will start shooting out plot ideas either in this thread or via PMs or Skype. If nobody responds to this then I will keep editing this thread to include plot ideas until I generate some interest.

Anyway....I am desperate. I am depressed, frustrated and at wits end about the fact that I have all these ideas I can do nothing with, and I would greatly appreciate any help I could get. If somebody out there would be kind enough to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, don't be fooled by the tone of this post, I am not always this serious/dark. I really am a fun person and I'll be far more upbeat when we work together. It's just this is something that has been eating at me for a while. Anyway, if anybody out there would like to hear some of my plot ideas and concepts and see if they want to work with me PLEASE post here.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for an Artist to partner with...(DESPERATELY searching)

If you really feel the need to create but lack the artistic clout to get very far, you could always try collage style re-use of existing images or clipart, (see things like Qwantz, or DM of the Rings/Darths and Droids.

If nothing else, it could serve as some kind of proof of concept, allow you to rough out some simple ideas to show people the kind of stuff you have in mind storywise.

It'll be a lot easier for artists to step forward and commit themselves once they have an idea of what your writing is like I'd guess.

3. - Top - End - #3

That won't really work because all of my ideas take place in original settings with original characters. NONE of my stories are based on or in existing works/worlds. As a result, using random clip-art is just not possible when I'm not using existing characters or settings.

Anyway, if you think listing concepts would help I may do that, but I just have SO MANY concepts that listing them ALL would take a long, long, long time and I am not sure which I want to list first....
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Pick a single one and pitch it as a proper collaborative project. Explain enough for an artist to become interested and have some idea of what they can bring to the project.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, your probably right. Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to choose one idea and see if anybody likes it enough to help me out. I guess this is /thread.
    Last edited by Giegue; 2012-10-31 at 11:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

...might also be wise to prepare some hand-drawn art to prove your claims of pen-ship inadequacy...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Actually, it might be more useful to actually present some samples of your storytelling. Character backgrounds, plot outlines, setting and theme, maybe even some sample dialogue. Enough to hook a potential artist.

8. - Top - End - #8

if your on twitter, the hash tag #createcomics is used by artists and writers looking for partners. BUt yeah, make a script, 5 pages at least, and an overall plot, and use that to find an artist.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure you have, but i'l urge you to reconsider if some of those concepts can't be worked out in text. If you have so many, I'm sure that you can work out some in a non-visual medium... Which should atleast help while you search for a partner.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

10. - Top - End - #10

No, none of them can be worked out in text. All of them are basically heavily anime inspired. HEAVILY anime inspired. However, my search is over for now because I have gotten not only one, but two potential partners, though one has very little time on her hands. We're already in planing stages now, and one of them already is doing character studies for the comic based on the plot, setting and character info I have given him. As for the other, her and I will be working on a separate project that will be more of a casual thing that may or may not go that far. In other words I have two projects on my hands instead of one, now. I already am scripting out the one that's actually going somewhere right now and after my partner thinks he's set doing character and setting work we'll probably start work on the actual comic.

So yeah, there is basically no point to this thread now because everything seems to be working out for the best. Now I just need to convince my programer friend to make the host site and I need to buy a domain for all of this stuff....
    Last edited by Giegue; 2012-11-14 at 06:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

BardGirl

It seems that you are trying to find an artist who can't figure out a story to compose.
    why don't you try godigging? You could probably find someone who can help you with