New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default No plot, No problem- the NaNoWriMo thread 2012

Right, October is already upon us, and November is fast approaching- which can mean just one thing, its time to get ready for National Novel Writing Month.

For the uninitiated, National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo for short) is a challenge to write fifty thousand words of a novel during the month of November, averaging to 1,667 words per day.

This next month is particularly important for any participant who finds it useful to have a plot for their story, but can also be used for purposes such as filling your house with more energy drinks than the local shop, or for clearing any and all dates in November, whatever you think will help you to write. Also, October can be useful for convincing other people you know to participate- because writing in the company of other people trying to do the same is so much more fun than writing in the company of other people who aren't trying to do the same...

Feel free to point me in the direction of any resources that would be useful to be linked in the first post, and I can add them (though if we reach november first, I may be too busy writing to add stuff to the first post).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: No plot, No problem- the NaNoWriMo thread 2012

I may or may not be participating in this. Even if I don't, I'll be writing a novel of sorts anyway once I finish doing all the research for my massive setting that I'll be setting the story in. I admittedly have never done this before, so I'm not fully sure what I'll be getting myself into if I do actually decide to go for it instead of writing at my own pace. It does sound like fun, though.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, I'm in! For once, I don't have school project crunch mode this November, so this'll be my best bet for making it

I'm considering writing a novel in an already-created universe, to get a feel for it before I start the actual story the universe is made for (Mercenary Pen will know which one). Just gotta find an angle or character to focus on.

Probably gonna go the "energy drink" route for October. I have another novel to complete before November starts, so I'm kinda busy
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'll give it a shot, though I have no shot of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Wooo! Now, I've been meaning to do NaNoWriMo for like, three or four years, and never have, for one overly busy reason or another.

I won't be doing it this year either.

Fortunately, this is because I'm in the middle of a novel.

So while I may not be doing NaNo proper, I am going to be trying to write a lot in the coming months! Maybe not 1700 words per day, but a lot! And maybe I'll do a proper 50,000 in one month rush sometime later this year, after I'm done with Another Turn of the Wheel. Because why not, it's good practice, and it's not like I'm going to run out of novel ideas!
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-10-09 at 02:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I'll give it a shot, though I have no shot of success.
    That's defeatism talking- I wouldn't count yourself out any time before late november, especially considering I've heard of people managing the 50k words within a 3 day period on some occasions...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    That's defeatism talking- I wouldn't count yourself out any time before late november, especially considering I've heard of people managing the 50k words within a 3 day period on some occasions...
    Hah! I've done that in a non-NaNoWriMo context. 100,000 words in two months. That was crazy.

So, yeah. I very much agree with Mercenary. No need for pessimism here - you can do amazing things if you want to, and inspiration strikes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Default National Novel Writing Month

Only 19 days before the start! Got a plot or general idea yet? (I don't.)

For those who don't know, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short) is a challenge to write a 50,000-word novel during the month of November. So 1,667 words a day on average. You write for yourself, without necessarily wanting to publish, and you don't take time to edit; you just put words on paper. It can be any type of novel.

Last year I made it to 40,000 words, with the added difficulty that I wrote my pirate novel in English, which isn't my first language. Unfortunately I never finished my novel, as the motivation was gone after Nov 30; I estimate I was about two-thirds of the way through. I hope to do better this time.

So... who's in? Any past experiences you'd like to share?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: National Novel Writing Month

I plan on taking part. Hopefully this year I wont end up hating my protagonist and turning him into a minor character while I turn my antagonist into the new protagonist.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never done NaNoWriMo before, so if I end up with the time to try it I might actually give it a shot this year. Now... I guess having an idea of what to write would be a good start.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I keep meaning to take part in this. I think I can put about 1,500 words a day in during my free time, but only if I can make myself sit down and do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Last year, I put down one sentence, gave it a long look, then gave up because I had no idea how to continue. And never looked at it again.

This year, I'm trying to come up with a plot idea first, but I can't think of antyhing.

Maybe I'll finish that story about the Zombie Noir detective. Though I'm not sure that will ever be longer than about five pages.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-10-13 at 05:14 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #13

I haven't thought about plots, though I might just browse through my musings files and see what comes up. I will definitely try to take part though, even though my workload is theoretically more than last year.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Goblin

May be good excuse to put my **** together and finish my work I started this month.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm gonna write a book about a scientist and a rescue attempt and a betrayal and there are dragons. (I will probably not write this book.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

You know I have always wanted to take part in this, but November is rather consistently one of my most busy months of the year and this time looks no different. But good luck to you lot who are participating.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn, I just realized something. I'll be hopped up on painkillers for a good bit of November.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I don't have the self-discipline for this. But if I did, I think it'd be interesting if, after I was done, to put it aside for a year and then look it over to see how awful it would be.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I have some ideas. One was a world in which humans primary export in the Interstellar market is mercenary groups. Other races consider themselves too 'civilized' to fight directly, so hiring muscle, us, is what they do instead.
    The story follows one such group.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I have some ideas. One was a world in which humans primary export in the Interstellar market is mercenary groups. Other races consider themselves too 'civilized' to fight directly, so hiring muscle, us, is what they do instead.
    The story follows one such group.
    Kinda reminds me of the Classical Greeks, where Sparta and other cities would rent out their heavy infantry so they could afford lighter troops (which they couldn't train at home due to their culture).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Wasn't too sure whether I would, but I'll likely give it a go then end up failing as I normally do. I have an idea for a setting to tell stories in, and will probably try lots of short stories in one setting rather than a 50,000 word story straight off. Might be better for my attention span.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like talking about my idea.

The world is an animistic one where all magic is done by invoking contracts with relevant spirits. Like say invoking a contract with a spirit of fire or heat to create a fireball, or a spirit of health or water to purify water. The exact nature of the spirit and the contract will of course have huge effects on the magic.

The story revolves around a group of refugees founding a settlement in a wild untamed land. They must deal with the local spirits forging permanent contracts that the settlement will need to survive: Protection from supernatural threats, clean water, protection from disease, abundant harvests, and similar things.

23. - Top - End - #23

Browsing through my random ideas I came up with an interesting one. Essentially mass teleportation becomes easy, quick, and cheap so the world slowly evolves to be incredibly lazy, with no one ever having to do anything. Then one day it stops working, people have to do everything themselves. I'm not sure what I'd write about there, but there are a few interesting concepts.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I will be doing it this month. I'm pretty excited.

My story will be centred around a girl who can't die (super healing factor or something), and is targeted by the criminal organization in the city. The crime boss wants to live forever and wants to figure out why she can't die and how to replicate it. So she teams up with a group of friends who are petty criminals, and they end up using her unique skill to make a lot of money and buy themselves a way out. The leader of the group's father was in with the mob but was suddenly killed, and he's trying to find out why. On top of all this, there is a detective trying to piece together just how this girl is connected to this city wide criminal empire and how to bring them down.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I will be doing it this month. I'm pretty excited.

My story will be centred around a girl who can't die (super healing factor or something), and is targeted by the criminal organization in the city. The crime boss wants to live forever and wants to figure out why she can't die and how to replicate it. So she teams up with a group of friends who are petty criminals, and they end up using her unique skill to make a lot of money and buy themselves a way out. The leader of the group's father was in with the mob but was suddenly killed, and he's trying to find out why. On top of all this, there is a detective trying to piece together just how this girl is connected to this city wide criminal empire and how to bring them down.
    Neat! That's a pretty awesome concept.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I always feel weird talking about my novel ideas because everyone here has such high concept ones and I generally don't. My novel last year was about some students at a boarding school in rural Pennsylvania and my most developed idea this year is about a college student who studies abroad in Spain and tried to figure out what to do with his life (so original).
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I always feel weird talking about my novel ideas because everyone here has such high concept ones and I generally don't. My novel last year was about some students at a boarding school in rural Pennsylvania and my most developed idea this year is about a college student who studies abroad in Spain and tried to figure out what to do with his life (so original).
    I'm interested in how this turns into a novel actually. I guess I just have trouble righting a lot about a little, in that all my stories have a relatively small word count, and something like this with no real plot I just couldn't do. I mean I enjoy reading these kinds of things, but just have no idea how to write them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Honestly, I almost admire you a bit for that. I write my stories like D&D games. A bit like Play-by-Post, where I try to run the characters while also DMing. So, I can't really do aynthing other than small-scale fantasy.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Kinda reminds me of the Classical Greeks, where Sparta and other cities would rent out their heavy infantry so they could afford lighter troops (which they couldn't train at home due to their culture).
    It's also like how the many of the Italian city states of the Late Middle ages and Renaissance would hire foreign mercenaries to do their fighting for them, if I remember correctly.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

It's also like how the many of the Italian city states of the Late Middle ages and Renaissance would hire foreign mercenaries to do their fighting for them, if I remember correctly.
    yah..the Swiss were particularily sought after..also, it wasn't an uncommon career path of choice for lesser italian nobility.

that's how the Swiss Guard in the Vatican kind of came to be.
    also, Eddings has used this idea profusedly in his books.. with a couple of populations/tribes being noted for making a living through fighting for otherrs.

anyhoo..last year, at my first attempt, I was way ahead..with over 30k words after around 10 days..
    then work caught up with me and I had to stop altogether.
    I think this year I might try it again and just continue where I left off last time.
    a fantasy plot..
    something low-magic, around a couple of artifacts.. with as a development the rediscovery of higher magic.
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-10-14 at 10:24 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz