New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: National Novel Writing Month

Goodness, I wish I had the self-discipline for this. Last time I tried writing, I gave up around the 7,000 word mark. I also have the same PbP-style problem as Eldan. Nonetheless, I'm trying anyway.
    My current concept is one in which a group of people wake up in this mysterious area filled with deadly monsters and hazards. They find various weapons and hone the strange powers they have been somehow granted in order to defend themselves. They eventually find out that the only way to escape is to find the powerful artifacts guarded by the aforementioned monsters and hazards. The only catch is that there are only five artifacts, which means only five of them can escape. The narrative will examine not only the characters' struggles against the challenges they face to get the artifacts, but also the alliances, betrayals, and rivalries that are created amongst themselves.
    Although the concept is pretty much finished, I'm still trying to think of specific characters and monsters, as well as a good magic system.
    Last edited by Halberd; 2012-10-14 at 11:05 AM.
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed martial reach weapon. I do d10 weapon dice, weigh 12 pounds, and belong to the Axe group.

Many, many thanks to kpenguin for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I always feel weird talking about my novel ideas because everyone here has such high concept ones and I generally don't. My novel last year was about some students at a boarding school in rural Pennsylvania and my most developed idea this year is about a college student who studies abroad in Spain and tried to figure out what to do with his life (so original).
    The Catcher in the Rye was about a boarding school student fooling around in NYC. The Great Gatbsy was about rich people partying on Long Island. The Sun Also Rises was about American and British ex-pats drinking in France and Spain (primarily Spain). Yours are actually the "normal" literary concepts that are seen in "mainstream" literature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The first time I tried this was 2010. I wrote one sentence, re-wrote it six or seven times, then gave up.

If I manage to think of a cool idea and have a few things sketched out in time, I might give this a shot this time around.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Contrary to all of you, I don`t plan to work on a 50,000 word novel, but I might not be able to resist the temptation to try (and I would most likely fail).
    My plan is to focus on short stories - finishing unfinished stories and starting unused ideas. I think it would be much easier to reach the 50,000 word mark that way, but that`s not the point - I want an excuse (I`ll keep track anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    The world is an animistic one where all magic is done by invoking contracts with relevant spirits.
    I thought on a similiar idea for a world I plan to sometime use for some RPG system. Humans can cast very specialized magic after much effort and training, but to cast spells of many types you have to somehow convince a magical being to give you the initial power. You can train your powers normally after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I guess I just have trouble righting a lot about a little, in that all my stories have a relatively small word count
    I actully think it`s a good thing. I take a minimilist approach to writing, I don`t like when plots and descriptions stretch, but I do tend to take it too far (which makes this challange even harder for me).
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    The first time I tried this was 2010. I wrote one sentence, re-wrote it six or seven times, then gave up.

If I manage to think of a cool idea and have a few things sketched out in time, I might give this a shot this time around.
    Go on, do it I think Castaras is considering it, and I'm doing it for definite, so there's always the possibility of a UKitP End-of-NaNoWriMo party on November 30th
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Go on, do it I think Castaras is considering it, and I'm doing it for definite, so there's always the possibility of a UKitP End-of-NaNoWriMo party on November 30th
    Surely a UKitP end-of-nano party should be planned in the UKitP thread?

In any event, maybe. I can't write much if I don't have the faintest clue what I want to write.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    My plan is to focus on short stories - finishing unfinished stories and starting unused ideas. I think it would be much easier to reach the 50,000 word mark that way, but that`s not the point - I want an excuse (I`ll keep track anyways).
    Is that allowed? In that case, I might go for short stories as well.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

*revs engines*

Here goes nothing. My hour-long bus commute shall not go to waste.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Is that allowed? In that case, I might go for short stories as well.
    Technically it is probably against the rules, but I think the spirit of thing is to intensively write fiction for a month. Being ineligible for the minor prize they give out isn't really a big deal.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Technically you can be eligible for their minor prize by copying wikipedia articles until you get your word count and then replacing all the letters with Q. Which is kind of missing the spirit of the thing. You can enter your short stories as long as added together they reach 50,000 words.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    The Catcher in the Rye was about a boarding school student fooling around in NYC. The Great Gatbsy was about rich people partying on Long Island. The Sun Also Rises was about American and British ex-pats drinking in France and Spain (primarily Spain). Yours are actually the "normal" literary concepts that are seen in "mainstream" literature.
    Well, right, but it seems that trying to write those kinds of books is seen as pretentious, and it feels weird talking about those kinds of ideas when everyone else is writing about very imaginative science-fiction or fantasy type stories and I generally aim for very small, character-based stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Well, right, but it seems that trying to write those kinds of books is seen as pretentious, and it feels weird talking about those kinds of ideas when everyone else is writing about very imaginative science-fiction or fantasy type stories and I generally aim for very small, character-based stuff.
    It might be because a good portion of those books are semi-autobiographical. Many young people, for example, have had the thought of writing a novel about their college years cross their minds. I know I did--until I realized that my college exploits might not be that interesting, and I probably can't write a novel . However, if you are a budding Fitzgerald (This Side of Paradise), you can pull it off.

Still, most of the great novels are based off of ordinary people and are character-driven. That's because the authors are writing about what they understand. S.E. Hilton, for example, didn't know anything about Elves or Spaceships, but she did understand classist bullying in her high school, so The Outsiders was born. Anyway, the last thing the world needs is another fantasy or sci-fi novel

So write about what you understand.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Technically you can be eligible for their minor prize by copying wikipedia articles until you get your word count and then replacing all the letters with Q. Which is kind of missing the spirit of the thing. You can enter your short stories as long as added together they reach 50,000 words.
    We don't want that kind of post-modernism here!
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmmm. On the one hand, first semester of college. Crazy.

On the other hand, I already have a story flailing about and wanting out.

On the third hand, I'm on a slumph where I can't seem to write profusely.

On the fourth hand, holding myself up to a stringent standard might help with that.

On the fifth hand, again, college. Crazy. Time management is still fuzzy.

On the sixth hand. NaNoWriMo. I did it twice and both times won, I can do it again.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post

On the fourth hand, holding myself up to a stringent standard might help with that.

On the sixth hand. NaNoWriMo. I did it twice and both times won, I can do it again.
    As I recall it, freshman year of college isn't that bad. Cut loose, have fun while you still can and aren't working full-time. Do it while you can still pull all-nighters.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Another idea I had was a mystery novel set aboard The USTPS*: Persephone, a former cargo cruiser turned into a parole ship for rehabilitating criminals. Travel between stars can take weeks or even months and communications with a ship in FTL is impossible, so once they set out they are on their own.
    *United Solar Territories Parole Ship.
    Characters include a robotic chef who killed their former owner in self defence after the owner tried to kill them the day robots received equal rights with organics.
    A former scam artist who finds himself in the position of acting security chief after his superior and parole officer is murdered.
    An overly officials executive officer whose past holds certain secrets that could p rove vital to the case.
    A Cyclopean pseudo avian who seems to fear everything.
    And ,well ,I'll have to find my notes, but that's what I got so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post

what manner of creature are you?..and do you have a hand free for food and beverages?
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-10-15 at 04:02 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    We don't want that kind of post-modernism here!
    Well it's not really post-modernism. They want you to obfuscate your text when you submit it to the website. Plagiarism and all that.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

NaNoWriMo are one of those things that I absolutely love to bits and desperately want to participate it, but I just don't manage. I guess that's what t's good for; getting over that grind that actually sitting down and writing the words present. That's the achievement here, and it's certainly something I want to achieve.

I have tried before, but I've never gotten over 5,000 words.

Now, unfortunately, in Novemer I'll be writing an essay for my literature course, and I assume that will take all the time and energy I can devote to writing already.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    NaNoWriMo are one of those things that I absolutely love to bits and desperately want to participate it, but I just don't manage. I guess that's what t's good for; getting over that grind that actually sitting down and writing the words present. That's the achievement here, and it's certainly something I want to achieve.

I have tried before, but I've never gotten over 5,000 words.

Now, unfortunately, in Novemer I'll be writing an essay for my literature course, and I assume that will take all the time and energy I can devote to writing already.
    ahem.. that essay you are going to write..
    it has words in it, yes?
    doesn't that count?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Well, I have been kicking around this concept of a tutor/attempted reformed white-collar criminal, the evil mastermind he essentially brought up, and how he learns to betray her. I'll give it a go, maybe. Heck, as it's NaNo, I can even continue to call him Sam Tailor without worrying.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to try but I doubt my ability to actually do much of anything worthwhile. I've never written much. And I don't think I can do dialogue. Or plot. The only thing that I would consider myself good at would be ideas for somewhat creative settings. Other than that I don't think that I will do very well at all.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    I want to try but I doubt my ability to actually do much of anything worthwhile. I've never written much. And I don't think I can do dialogue. Or plot. The only thing that I would consider myself good at would be ideas for somewhat creative settings. Other than that I don't think that I will do very well at all.
    My advice is to use this as a learning experience... even if you only write three thousand words, that could well be three thousand words more than if you hadn't taken part- and from my experience, doing it along with other people will spur you on to even greater efforts.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    My advice is to use this as a learning experience... even if you only write three thousand words, that could well be three thousand words more than if you hadn't taken part- and from my experience, doing it along with other people will spur you on to even greater efforts.
    This.

NaNoWriMo is an excuse to get yourself writing. The key to becoming a good writer is to write. If you don't write, then you can't learn to become better. Who knows? Maybe you'll find out that you enjoy writing? Or maybe you'll find out like me that every word I put down is torture and the only proper way to do NaNoWriMo is after a couple drinks so that my internal editor sits down, shuts up, and lets me write.

Also, I found out that cursing every other word leads to completely unreadable text that I wouldn't show my mother, but is an enjoyable way to reach my word count for the day.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. I tried to write a novel once before and got around 7000 words in. It wasn't very good as far as I know. At least this time I have a somewhat solid idea for what to write about. Might as well share it.

First it will be some sort of fantasy. I don't want to do a lot of research. The basic plot will be an innkeeper deciding to go kill a tyrant because he thinks himself to be a good person and good people don't watch others suffer. Other than that I don't know a lot of what will happen.

Also any advice for creating names?
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thank you. I tried to write a novel once before and got around 7000 words in. It wasn't very good as far as I know. At least this time I have a somewhat solid idea for what to write about. Might as well share it.

First it will be some sort of fantasy. I don't want to do a lot of research. The basic plot will be an innkeeper deciding to go kill a tyrant because he thinks himself to be a good person and good people don't watch others suffer. Other than that I don't know a lot of what will happen.

Also any advice for creating names?
    Make them up. Put syllables together until it sounds like something that someone might say. Pick a letter, think of names starting with it, then twist a syllable or two, or don't. Names are easy and don't matter, you can always find and replace if you find one you like better.

One other thing, a good fantasy novel will require a ton of research. Heck any novel requires a ton of research, though for NaNoWriMo it is less required, though nice. If you worry at all about getting anything accurate you'll want to look it up, even a cursory glance at the Wikipedia page. This leads to more delving, more googling, and eventually you spent an entire day finding out about chickens. Not a random example, I did it once. I mean the story was about chickens but the point stands, research is key and almost impossible to avoid, though you will make mistakes.

I figure any writing is good writing though, so don't give up just because it seems like a lot, any amount is progress. Personally I'm awful at writing anything more than maybe 10 pages, and even that is a stretch, I do best with collections of inter-related stories, but I'll try something different, try to write one story just to see if I can.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I will be taking part. My story takes place in an alternate world where Greece lost the second Greco-Persian War, Africa is a bunch of tiny islands, and the Aztecs live in the Arabian Desert.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

NANOWRIMO doesn't leave you in the lurch just like that
    there are forums dedicated to whatever genre you decide to write in, and dedicated to asking for help when you get stuck..with people sharing and exchanging ideas and ways out.
    also, you can join a smaller group on a chat..and have timed challenges... basically you agree with others to write whatever comes to your mind within a set timeframe..can be anything from 5 minutes to an hour or so..and then compare how many words you and the others have written..it's a great challenge and spurs on your "speed-writing".. making it easy to overcome hurdles and such.. and it doesn't matter at all if what you write in those minutes makes sense or is correctly phrased.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    NANOWRIMO doesn't leave you in the lurch just like that
    there are forums dedicated to whatever genre you decide to write in, and dedicated to asking for help when you get stuck..with people sharing and exchanging ideas and ways out.
    also, you can join a smaller group on a chat..and have timed challenges... basically you agree with others to write whatever comes to your mind within a set timeframe..can be anything from 5 minutes to an hour or so..and then compare how many words you and the others have written..it's a great challenge and spurs on your "speed-writing".. making it easy to overcome hurdles and such.. and it doesn't matter at all if what you write in those minutes makes sense or is correctly phrased.
    Exactly. The problems you're facing are exactly the problems NaNo is designed to overcome: you're afraid that anything you write will be crap, so you never write anything.

NaNo's solution to that is to not worry about the quality of what you're writing. You're pounding out 50,000 words in a single month, everyone's novel is probably going to be crap. But don't think of it as having written something bad, think of it as having taken the first step towards writing something good. Once you have a first draft, you can go back and revise and edit. The second draft will come much easier than the first, because you can watch your masterpiece improve with every change you make.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    ahem.. that essay you are going to write..
    it has words in it, yes?
    doesn't that count?
    I was under the impression that NaNoWriMo had to be fiction?
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!