New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: National Novel Writing Month

I have done *some* research already and I have a copy of "Malleus Maleficarum" I need to read through tomorrow evening, or at least the chapters concerning succubi and incubi. I've also got Friday off because it's my birthday so I'm going to camp in the library for a few hours in amongst other things.

Interesting fact - did you know some cultures consider succubi to be good luck? It's mainly tribal and shamanistic cultures, although a few Slavic groups hold to the belief as well. They tend to view them as "spirit spouses". I have a theory as to why this belief never took hold in Europe but it'd be beyond the forum bounds to go into it.

Another slightly more sinister fact is that even modern cultures are prone to beliefs and superstitions about succubi too, even up to the 1960s and 70s.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: No plot, No problem- the NaNoWriMo thread 2012

We have two threads for this, so I've merged them into one.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Good heavens, I can hardly wait for Nov1! And this month has, not only 30, but 31 days. How dare it?!

I'd kinda like to participate as not a rebel, but for me the biggest hurdle is finishing, not starting, so...

Anyways, while I wait for Nov 1, I'm... making shoes. Yes.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

A genius scientist.
    A schizophrenic wizard.

Two worlds, one idea.

When Amir finalized his Interstellar Gateway -- trademarked -- he never expected it to succeed. Yet it was worse than he thought it would be; it succeeded in failing in his goals spectacularly, even though the machine itself was a success. But what are those strange syrup-like liquids that sometimes mark the floor around it?

Irwan has always had occassional lapses in his worldly perceptions, but his vision of a utopia where scarcity is no more was always clear to him. When one of his many experiments went wrong again, he thought the time was there to finally give up and let it rest... until one of his apprentices, his niece Zorya, falls into his giant cauldron and disappears into a world of horrors.

Dare you enter... the Quantum Cauldron?

Basically, a story with two sides, and when they meet in the middle, bad stuff happens. Like love. And death.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #125
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Going to have to step out of NaNo. Too much Physics work. Sad face.

Oh well. Will try again in a few years when I have more time.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

A request for myself and Morph - if any of you happen to come across any good books on mythology, can you please link title/author/ISBN in here? It'd really help us out and we'll be sure to do the same.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Going to have to step out of NaNo. Too much Physics work. Sad face.

Oh well. Will try again in a few years when I have more time.
    That's a shame- and not just because of the word war...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    A request for myself and Morph - if any of you happen to come across any good books on mythology, can you please link title/author/ISBN in here? It'd really help us out and we'll be sure to do the same.
    I have a few at home. When I brave the hurricane back home from work, I'll get them on here for you.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I have a few at home. When I brave the hurricane back home from work, I'll get them on here for you.
    We shall pray for your safe return!

BE SWIFT AS A COURSING RIVER
    WITH ALL THE FORCE OF A GREAT TY--oh.
    YouTube channel:

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

Have I ever told you Morph that I find you pretty cool? No? Oh good. Because you're awesome.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

That song- NaNo has already parodied it

and for a fuller list of NaNo-related music
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

oh god
    my word is a poorly-defined caldera or something idk
    one of my three main characters is uninteresting
    the magic system is okay i guess
    i have no idea what the other half of the plot is
    i am in over my head

Stream of consciousness aside, it's going to be awesome, with about as much planning as my last one but more of an idea what I'm going to do wrong. Whee!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've failed at Nanowrimo since my college years, so I'm not entirely optimistic about it. Still, even if I don't reach 50,000, I do want to give this an honest shot this time instead of giving up like I always do on the third day or so.

I'll still deciding over the topic; I have a number of ideas that I've been nurturing about the story, but I can't actually decide on any of them. My ideas:

• Exploring the life of Lucas Gray, a villain that acts as a slave trader, a drug trafficker, and a general heist man for rich clients. I wanted to chronicle his lifestory - what made him decide to walk a path of evil and his slowly corrupted psyche, as well as accounts from his accomplaces and some of the people around him.
    • A famed novelist, said to be slowly descending into insanity in his later years, dies. His estranged sister, an accountant currently on leave from work, comes to mourn his loss, and discovers the man's "final masterpiece" - dedicated to her, his family, and the world - hidden within his bookshelves; curious, she sets about reading the half-completed story, and tries to use the symbolism in the book to piece together the psyche of his brother during his last few years of his life - and strives to write a true account of his last years as a token of farewell to her brother. This is an idea I've pampered for a long time, but I dread writing this since I do not believe I have the writing skills to pull it off.
    • The Republic of Lan has won a hard-fought victory over the smaller kingdom of Hong; Hong had very little military power of their own, but their famed "shamans" - magician families of great might, gave Lan the most trouble, and it was only after the defection of some prominent shaman families that Lan was finally able to win the war. The protagonist is a young girl whose father was a powerful shaman and a supporter of Lan's invasion when their victory was inevitable, but secretly tried to aid his countrymen and was eventually killed when this was discovered. A powerful shaman by inheritance, bitter, but realistically understanding that she could not fight against an entire nation of invading forces, she found companion in a retired Hong soldier and seeks to escape her nation before Lan could catch her. It's inevitable that they succeed, but the story is about her escape; the various things that she meets, and how her and her older, more mature guardian interprets the occupation and its effects through their own world views.
    • There were about twenty ancient books that gave their wielders astounding powers, but had no limits on how the wielder could use them. The books were hidden around the world and are relatively unknown up until now, when they began to resurface themselves amongst the hands of seemingly random people. The protagonist, a teenager, ends up with one of these by chance and uses it to right the wrongs of the world in his eyes; alongside acts of selfishness, he killed politicians with beliefs that he believes to be poisoning the world, "corrupt" corporate executives, and other such people. This, of course, causes a disaster of cosmic proportions; the story is about the protagonist realizing his mistakes and traveling around trying everything he could to undo his wrongs. Of course, a political and economic disaster can't be corrected by throwing fireballs around, so eventually, the protagonist unites other book holders with similar beliefs and takes over the world.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    That song- NaNo has already parodied it

and for a fuller list of NaNo-related music
    The beginning of that song was bad, not half as manly as the original song. The end of it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    There were about twenty ancient books that gave their wielders astounding powers, but had no limits on how the wielder could use them. The books were hidden around the world and are relatively unknown up until now, when they began to resurface themselves amongst the hands of seemingly random people. The protagonist, a teenager, ends up with one of these by chance and uses it to right the wrongs of the world in his eyes; alongside acts of selfishness, he killed politicians with beliefs that he believes to be poisoning the world, "corrupt" corporate executives, and other such people. This, of course, causes a disaster of cosmic proportions; the story is about the protagonist realizing his mistakes and traveling around trying everything he could to undo his wrongs. Of course, a political and economic disaster can't be corrected by throwing fireballs around, so eventually, the protagonist unites other book holders with similar beliefs and takes over the world.
    Sounds like DeathNote with a twist.
    YouTube channel:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

The beginning of that song was bad, not half as manly as the original song. The end of it was good.
    I don't think manliness was the aim with that one (not my work though)
    Part of YugiohITP

16. - Top - End - #136

ClericGirl

All right, as it's my first time, I'm jumping the gun today with a test run. So far, given that this is supposed to be the easy period, I'm not doing so hot: 744 words in more than an hour. Once I no longer have to make conscious effort to keep myself from going back and correcting my word choice twice a paragraph, I might have more of a handle on it, though.

EDIT: Two and a half hours, all told. I can live with that.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2012-10-31 at 02:41 PM.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, I think I have a setting and one or two characters hashed out, if only in the most general terms. However, I still can't think of a plot. So if I do decide to enter NaNo, it looks like my novel will be titled "Random Chick Shoots Stuff in Space for No Reason". Clearly, it has the makings of a best seller.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    Well, I think I have a setting and one or two characters hashed out, if only in the most general terms. However, I still can't think of a plot. So if I do decide to enter NaNo, it looks like my novel will be titled "Random Chick Shoots Stuff in Space for No Reason". Clearly, it has the makings of a best seller.
    49,991 to go

I'm still chanting "I will not start for at least another 6.5 hours..." myself.

Sounds like DeathNote with a twist.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My concept #1, the one I didn't go with? I didn't say the name earlier, but it's "Love Note".

"Rule the First: the mortal whose name is first written in this note will fall in or out of love with the next mortal whose name is written in this note."

"Rule the Second: the mortal writing names in this note may not write their own name in the note, nor compel it to be written."
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-10-31 at 04:45 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    49,991 to go
    Can't count the title towards the word count, unfortunately. Also, I'm not allowed to start for another 55 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I made a beginning yesterday (well, past midnight then, but now it's past midnight as well, so works either way), but ditched it today in favour of a different beginning.

I started with a guy getting his old scooter back, patched up by a friend into looking totally audacious (and being named "Cassandra" by both of them).

New beginning is instead the main character waking up on a parking lot after getting knocked out in a fight while on his way to work by a gang of thugs.
    YouTube channel:

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

I totally forgot it was November, that NaNo was even a thing in fact, but I am doing this in 2012. Probably mostly in lunch breaks. My time is endlessly oversubscribed.
    Chaotic Neutral. Knife fiend. Allergic to many, many tasty things.

Unrepentant Jinsyite. Daily Greet!

22. - Top - End - #142

A good first hour, or well really 45 minutes. I wrote 1700 words and have a decent idea of what I'm going to do for the next couple of days at the very least. After that I'm still not sure but it's been good practice so far.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

800 words since midnight. I started early, so 6,000 words total. Not a bad start.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

I'll be super-busy for another couple of days still, so I'll likely skewer them off and recalculate a word count in the worst case.

The good news is that I got a story to write, and a progression of sorts to make it flow, but it needs a meaningful title and a clear 'genre' definition.
    I'd be tempted to just tick the 'Other' box since being categorized isn't all that important to me, but if anyone more experienced in how NaNo defines their genres want to help me I'll gladly unveil my concept and accept help.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Colossus in the Playground

Just started, oh, five minutes ago. 106 words, and now I'm out of ideas on where this story is going. Brilliant.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just started, oh, five minutes ago. 106 words, and now I'm out of ideas on where this story is going. Brilliant.
    A wise man once said "if you don't know what to do, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand".

You may also replace the man with a dapper velociraptor and the gun with a copy of a weaponized version of the Prose Edda.
    YouTube channel:

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

I'm working on my prologue now, and there is more exposition in there than anything else. Still, I'm about halfway towards the total I'm aiming for today.
    Part of YugiohITP

28. - Top - End - #148
    Colossus in the Playground

A wise man once said "if you don't know what to do, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand".

You may also replace the man with a dapper velociraptor and the gun with a copy of a weaponized version of the Prose Edda.
    Well, I did just end my first scene. 331 words, it's more of an introduction, and there is no dialogue except internal narration. But my main character just entered his office.

A man with a gun may come in later. He might be a lizardman. If he's a lizardman from the right culture, the weaponized prose edda (oor the local equivalent) would actually be his prefered weapon. Theodoar Thundervoice wrote some very strong poetry.

Actually, I'll put that down for later. Lizardman truespeaker with weaponized wiking saga. Fits the tone of the story quite well, I think.

Mister Bark, you are a genius, Sir.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-11-01 at 08:04 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"Billy Cranston found himself waking up in a clearing, surprised that it was light enough for him to see. The last thing he remembered, it was almost midnight. "What... what just happened?" "

Aaaaaaaand we're off!
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-11-01 at 08:10 AM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Started on the bus this morning. "The world burned beneath the fierce southern sun." Or something like that, I don't remember exactly. But I got a decent paragraph down!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.