New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: No plot, No problem- the NaNoWriMo thread 2012

Well, I lost the first two days as planned.

Started today. This will take some catching up...
    Last edited by Andre; 2012-11-03 at 12:25 PM.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Broke 7000 words at the meet-up. Might stay up late again and try and hit ten thousand. Got a lot of other stuff to do though- laundry, washing up, etc. goddamn it, independence, you were meant to be about parties.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

1476. About 3000 behind where I would like to be (on par with a particular friend) and about 2000 behind the 50,000/month rate. I did start a day and a half behind though, so not bad. I should be able to get more done this afternoon and evening, although I need to write a small bioengineering paper too this weekend.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not even busy. I'm stting at home, being bored.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arti3 View Post
    Can't even start, I'm so bad at this =_=
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I suck at this. Just about 1000 words, I should have 6000.
    We should have a 'those with little chance of finishing' personal contest. The one who manages to churn out more words can tower amongst the losers at least.

@Succubus - Don't forget to use the word 'Wroth' somewhere, 'tis so classy.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not even busy. I'm stting at home, being bored.
    Yeah, I have to admit that I've had moments when procrastination has done it slevel best to scupper NaNo novels past and present- especially since procrastinating is so much easier than NaNo.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #187

I think my main problems it that I'm writing pretty much sentence by sentence, with no idea where any of it is going.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

I think my main problems it that I'm writing pretty much sentence by sentence, with no idea where any of it is going.
    I'm not someone who writes well by the seat of my pants personally, but from what I've heard others say, your best hope is to stop worrying about not knowing where the story is going, and let it take you on the guided tour. After all, the quickest way to discover where your story is going is to let it take you there (and if you're unsatisfied with where it takes you, revenge can come later).

Back to the grindstone for me I suppose.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I usually have the same procrastination progress you guys are talking about over schoolwork. When it comes to this, I think the competitive nature of it, especially with some of my closest friends already well ahead around 4500 words, keeps me working hard and fast...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post

I usually have the same procrastination progress you guys are talking about over schoolwork. When it comes to this, I think the competitive nature of it, especially with some of my closest friends already well ahead around 4500 words, keeps me working hard and fast...
    Trust me, despite my word count, I am procrastinating at least some of the time, and youtube is always open in my browser... (on the other hand, when I find a good music video to listen to, it can give back as much as it takes away)
    Part of YugiohITP

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

To break the trend of "Slowly increasing numbers", and to disguise the fact that my own has incremented, how about a round of quotes? From me, a section of the most fun conversation i've ever written.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought this over for a moment, and then made a “my mind exploded” gesture. She nodded. I thought more.
    “Wait. If the past is all set in stone, and the future’s set in stone, then you can’t change anything in the present either. Everything’s pre-determined.” I looked at Anita, who shrugged. “Holy ****, did we just disprove free will?”
    “Who cares?” Another swig each. “If you sit on your arse and do nothing, your destiny is for nothing to happen to you. If you shoot yourself in the head, your destiny is for that to happen. It’s not like it matters. Dudes who never leave their rooms or stop playing Minecraft don’t get destined to become corporate CEO’s.”
    “What are you saying?”
    “I’m saying, just because there’s some mystical book of fate with everyone’s entire lives mapped out for them, doesn’t mean we need to act any differently. We don’t know what’s set down for us. So we needn’t care that we’re stuck doing it.”
    I made the “exploded mind” gesture again. Anita’s grin got even wider, and she held her glass up in a toast. “To having solved the mystery of life.”
    I chinked my glass on hers. “And to not giving a damn.”
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2012-11-03 at 07:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Day three, and I'm at 9266. So far I'm averaging better than 3000 words a day, but Monday is a likely hurdle due to the way my job works.

Day Two included the first two "info dumps" explaining how the powers of the Sentries (the solider\police that are this world's analog to the shinobi of the Naruto world) work and as a result was very disproportionate in terms of output (almost half of my total so far). No, I didn't rpewrite this, it was just easier writing for me.

I'm just about done with the preplanned stuff (4/5), I've got one more info dump, which I'm earmarking for Monday since I can do it between calls better than I can moving the plot forward.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I like the conversation there, Swordfish. Basically exactly covers my own personal view on free will, actually.

The morning writing was good, but between a musical jam session with friends and a bioengineering paper, I haven't made much more progress. Tomorrow I'll be busy most of the day too, although I can probably get another big chunk written out in the morning again, after finishing that paper.

My friend is up to 6000 though. Gotta keep moving.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Running late. I know how I'm spending my extra hour tomorrow. Urgh. So busy though.

Working on how to turn a somewhat civil encounter between a good guy and a not-yet-bad-guy into a ninja battle. Also how to have characters have an info dump conversation without too much wall of text.

Edit: Lol a book is a wall of text. But you know what I mean, without just plain old expository rumbling.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2012-11-03 at 11:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

I have also decided to try this. It's going to be a horrible excuse of a novel but...

So far 6749 words. Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Illness flared up preeeeeeetty badly. That and a busy day led to less than 100 words today.

Tomorrow will be busy too and I don't recover quickly from illness flare-ups. I hope I can catch up in the coming week (where I at least won't be too busy to write).

17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground

Today I caught back up and am pretty happy with my progress. I figure I'll try to just keep a steady stream of words instead of doing too much more than is expected for a day lest I burn myself out. Few quotes I guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm sorry Ria, I didn't know who else to tell, I had no one else. I didn't know he'd do this, I mean I knew he was dangerous but I didn't..." At this point she breaks into tears.

The day seemed to drag on like molasses, with every chime of the bell bringing new hope and disappointment. As it was a Tuesday it was fairly slow, with maybe a dozen people coming all throughout the morning, and very few staying for long.

"I wish there was something I could do, I really do, but I can't, and right now my life, everything I know, has just gone absolutely insane. I probably still haven't processed what just happened to me but for now I have shut it off to the point I can deal with rational and coherent thought.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Got ideas for a prologue now. I'll be going to a birthday for half the day, so that'll keep me occupied first. Should give me plenty of words though, especially since it involves a fight scene.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

19. - Top - End - #199
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Way behind. Haven't started yet. But hey...I got most of my crap moved across the country, so I've been busy.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

I couldn't write a single word today. Oh well. I suppose this coming week will be catching-up time.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, this chapter is...interesting.

I don't actually KNOW how to write a methamphetamine high. Hopefully this serves as a functional approximation, given that it's a fictional drug similar to meth, and that most of my readers probably won't have actually used meth.

I need to keep the 'fictional' part in mind. I keep worrying like it's not going to be accurate. But I can legitimately wave that off as "Yes, well, this is how THIS drug works."

5183. She's at about 10,000.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-11-05 at 12:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it bad that I write a story about a zombie detective and seem to be making (and thinking of) far too many body part puns?
    only if you don't work them in the book.

I might start doing this starting next week..this week I just have too much on my plate already..and just not feeling it..which doesn't bode well for next week either, I realise.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

23. - Top - End - #203

Still stuck at around 1000. I used the man with the gun coming through the door, and I stil have no ideas how to continue.

I suck at this.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Still more than me - I'm floundering around with sources for various things and it doesn't help that most of the books for this are 15th century or earlier, making them about as easy to read as a medical textbook. -.-

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    “Wait. If the past is all set in stone, and the future’s set in stone, then you can’t change anything in the present either. Everything’s pre-determined.” I looked at Anita, who shrugged. “Holy ****, did we just disprove free will?”
    That conversation was virtually exactly like the one I had in my time travelling story.
    (which I am still trying to work out what the *** is going to happen in the final chapter)

Are you writing a time travel story? More specifically, a Novikov's Consistency Principle based time travel story? =D

Also, caught up today, for all of 2 minutes before I got put back another 1667.
    FYI, I am not counting my early start. So my count takes chapter 1.5, 2.5 and 3 onwards that I have written/will write during November.

Feel free to scoff at my futile attempt at being less of a rebel.
    Last edited by jseah; 2012-11-05 at 11:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Are you writing a time travel story? More specifically, a Novikov's Consistency Principle based time travel story? =D
    Oh my god, I am!

High five for self-consistency! I made a big complex diagram for the time machines personal timeline, to check I didn't have it jump in time by itself or something.

In other news, a disappointingly work-based Sunday has lead to me barely hitting 8500 today. Going to work late since tomorrow has no lectures, and see if I can hit 10,000 tonight.

Best case scenario: 12,500 words by Tuesday evening. That would be a quarter of the words in about six days.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2012-11-05 at 11:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Have you checked if you two are the same person from different timelines?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol, Eldan. Just lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Oh my god, I am!
    =D

Here's a tip from a fellow writer of NSCP time travel. Don't have two time travellers go at it.

It'll melt your brain. That thing makes Primer look positively trivial in comparison.

You do NOT want to imagine what the "inside" of a fight between time travellers looks like. The resolution can be mundane, but oh gods, the what-ifs and the loops... *core overheat detected, diverting thought process*

Right, so yeah, I still haven't worked out how to properly present the final chapter.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    T
    FYI, I am not counting my early start. So my count takes chapter 1.5, 2.5 and 3 onwards that I have written/will write during November.

Feel free to scoff at my futile attempt at being less of a rebel.
    Nah, I do that too. The story I'm working on is pretty long. I don't count the previous work as part of my word count.

30. - Top - End - #210

I'm at 10005 words right now, perhaps I can get more done today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.