New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: If the Emperor Fully healed would it matter? [WH40k]

More interesting questions include the following:

What would happen if Big E finally kicked the bucket?

What would happen if Cypher succeeded at his totally not treasonous, and definitely awesome, mission?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's worth pointing out that the Imperium doesn't completely rely on Navigators or the Astronomicon for warp travel. They can make computer-assisted 'calculated' jumps of 4-5 lightyears at a time without psychic aid, similar to how the Tau do it. It's far shorter than true warp jumps, and would fracture the Imperium, but losing the Astronomicon would not instantly reduce mankind to a slower-than-light civilization.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's worth pointing out that the Imperium doesn't completely rely on Navigators or the Astronomicon for warp travel. They can make computer-assisted 'calculated' jumps of 4-5 lightyears at a time without psychic aid, similar to how the Tau do it. It's far shorter than true warp jumps, and would fracture the Imperium, but losing the Astronomicon would not instantly reduce mankind to a slower-than-light civilization.
    It's also worth noting that Navigators can and do make jumps beyond the light of the Astronomicon- There's rules for it in Rogue Trader. In fact, one psyker power that either Astropaths or Navigators get (can't recall) is to make a Beacon that essentially acts as a scaled-down Astronomicon.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-10-07 at 11:16 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

4. - Top - End - #124

I do have to agree with Cheese here. The God-Emperor of mankind is a complete bastard. He favoured mass conquest, xenocide and fanatical intolerance even back in the days of the Great Crusade. Then he got betrayed by his favoured son, injured almost unto death, and has spent the last ten thousand years paralysed on the Throne while being fed millions of souls and basking in the worshipful glow of ten trillion screaming fanatics.

If he does get back up and set to work, vast portions of the galaxy are going to burn. Uncounted billions of humans will die screaming on the pyres as he drives the theocratic crusade onwards, and dozens of species of aliens can fully expect to be wiped out for daring to exist anywhere near the Imperium.

You know all those powerful nobles that the Inquisition can't touch without some prior evidence of corruption? They're screwed. It really doesn't matter how many strings you can pull, if the God-Emperor wants your entire line imprisoned and deeply mind-scanned in order to prove your right to rule over a portion of his empire, the Inquisition is going to do so.

There is only war, after all.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, before the Heresy, the Great Crusade was largely a cakewalk: Humanity owned the hell out of the galaxy.

The Horus Heresy gave the Imperium an enemy that was almost its equal: Itself. It even had a leader almost equivalent to the Emperor in power.

If the Emperor got off his Golden Laz-E Boy, the Imperium would destroy all opposition, since it wouldn't have the check and balance that is Horus.

Sure, loads of planets would burn but, you know, it's better than the alternative. Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs or exterminatusing several hundred planets.

Remember: It probably is safer to be a xenophobic maniac!

Thought for the day:

It is not the Horror of War that troubles me but the Unseen Horrors of Peace.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-10-07 at 02:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Every time someone says "exterminatus", I hear a sound in the back of my head. As if a million Daleks suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Every time someone says "exterminatus", I hear a sound in the back of my head. As if a million Daleks suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
    I even used it as a verb, too.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-10-07 at 02:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Kobold

Oh man, the Daleks would really fit in in the 40k verse. As cunning as Eldar, as tough as Necrons...
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Yeah, before the Heresy, the Great Crusade was largely a cakewalk: Humanity owned the hell out of the galaxy.

The Horus Heresy gave the Imperium an enemy that was almost its equal: Itself. It even had a leader almost equivalent to the Emperor in power.

If the Emperor got off his Golden Laz-E Boy, the Imperium would destroy all opposition, since it wouldn't have the check and balance that is Horus.
    Yeah but back then the Imperium didn't have Necrons, the Tyrannid and Traitor Legions to deal with. Owning the glaxy then was one thing, owning it now.......
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Oh man, the Daleks would really fit in in the 40k verse. As cunning as Eldar, as tough as Necrons...
    As impossible to exterminate as the Orks. The ability to restart your species from scratch again and again while being as advanced as the top races in the galaxy gives you a pretty big advantage.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Yeah but back then the Imperium didn't have Necrons, the Tyrannid and Traitor Legions to deal with. Owning the glaxy then was one thing, owning it now.......
    The Emperor beat the living daylights out of a C'Tan. He fought the Traitor Legions... and the Imperium won. The Tyranids? Fair point, but this is the Emperor. The Ultramarines have beaten off Hive Fleets before. With the Emperor, it'd be just another footnote in a tome of galactic conquest.

The only thing to match the Emperor was Horus. If he isn't there to beat the Emperor down, Imperium wins.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Who do you think the Men of Iron were?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Who do you think the Men of Iron were?
    Cybermen ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

The Ordo Chronos have already dealt with this, gentlemen. Move along...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

The Emperor beat the living daylights out of a C'Tan. He fought the Traitor Legions... and the Imperium won. The Tyranids? Fair point, but this is the Emperor. The Ultramarines have beaten off Hive Fleets before. With the Emperor, it'd be just another footnote in a tome of galactic conquest.

The only thing to match the Emperor was Horus. If he isn't there to beat the Emperor down, Imperium wins.

Yeah but was there Horus or was there a puppet possessed by Chaos ? (thats not a rhetorical question BTW I'm not fully up on 40K background ) because if that is the case there are still a lot of ex-Primarchs out there willing to fill that role. And yes the Imperium won in the past against them but thats before they were stretched thin by other demands and it was even then a very close thing

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Yeah but was there Horus or was there a puppet possessed by Chaos ? (thats not a rhetorical question BTW I'm not fully up on 40K background ) because if that is the case there are still a lot of ex-Primarchs out there willing to fill that role. And yes the Imperium won in the past against them but thats before they were stretched thin by other demands and it was even then a very close thing
    If the other Primarchs could have been used, they would have been used by now. Horus appears to have been the only viable vessel, or the Chaos Gods got hurt badly or something.

If the equivalent of Horus was to rise with the Emperor still in his chair, auto-win for Chaos. So, if they could possess a Primarch like Horus, they would.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-10-07 at 03:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

If the other Primarchs could have been used, they would have been used by now. Horus appears to have been the only viable vessel, or the Chaos Gods got hurt badly or something.

If the equivalent of Horus was to rise with the Emperor still in his chair, auto-win for Chaos. So, if they could possess a Primarch like Horus, they would.
    Not necessarily. As things are its looking like a total win for Chaos against the Imperium anyways. Since they aren't directly threatened they have no need to work together and give so much power to one individual.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #138

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Not necessarily. As things are its looking like a total win for Chaos against the Imperium anyways. Since they aren't directly threatened they have no need to work together and give so much power to one individual.
    You're assuming an all consuming WAAAAAAGH doesn't engulf the galaxy and render both the Imperium and Chaos irrelevant, then...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even given the badassery of the Emperor, would he be able to deal with the Void Dragon in Mars? He'd have to deal with the fact that the majority of his technicians would be split between believe in there "Machine God" and Him. Also, given the close proximity to Earth itself, there would be an ample opportunity to launch a decisive strike.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You're assuming an all consuming WAAAAAAGH doesn't engulf the galaxy and render both the Imperium and Chaos irrelevant, then...
    I was just looking at Chaos vs the Imperium.

Chaos has no idea what to do about Orks but hope really hard that they won't unite.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

I always thought it was only the fact the Emperor was considered a real threat to them that motivated the Choas gods to co-operate in empowering Horus.
    Without that threat and with things going pretty good they have no reason to.
    So of course by that logic if the Emperor does rise from the throne the Chaos gods are gonna pick a new 'Horus' ( my money's on Magnus) damn fast

22. - Top - End - #142

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I was just looking at Chaos vs the Imperium.

Chaos has no idea what to do about Orks but hope really hard that they won't unite.
    No-one has any idea what to do about Orks. Except Tyranids and Necrons, which just have the same idea about everything.

One must remember in WH40k that focusing on one existential threat means ignoring all of the other existential threats that are going on all the time. It's no good putting all of your effort into defeating Chaos if you forget to look over your shoulder and get eaten by Tyranids.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kerman View Post
    Even given the badassery of the Emperor, would he be able to deal with the Void Dragon in Mars? He'd have to deal with the fact that the majority of his technicians would be split between believe in there "Machine God" and Him. Also, given the close proximity to Earth itself, there would be an ample opportunity to launch a decisive strike.
    Void Dragon got RetCronned out of existence, as far as I'm aware.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If the Emperor Stepped off the Golden Throne, he would probably take a look around the Imperium and cry at everything that has been done in his name.
    However, he's probably also smart enough to realize that suddenly reversing thousands of years of tradition is going to do more harm than good.
    He might begin to institute reforms, but doing so without causing a massive amount of destabilization would take centuries. In fact, even letting the masses know he's back would likely fracture the Imperium.

If the Emperor is smart, and assuming the Adeptus Custodes first step is to bring him up to speed on the State of the Imperium, his first move will be to hide the fact that he's back. He'll probably let some SM chapter leaders in on the secret, and the High Lords of Terra will find out, but nobody else.
    He stays in his Palace and begins instituting reforms. He lets the High Lords of Terra keep ruling in his name, but he makes the decisions for them. Mind Controlling them if necessary. He starts churning out new technologies for the AdMech to "Rediscover" and distribute.

Centuries pass, life in the Imperium gradually improves. Slowly, the Cult of the Emperor becomes less dogmatic, begins spending fewer resources on massive cathedrals. The new Technologies improves lives and give the IG an edge in battle. Within a few centuries, there are 50% fewer Skulls, Psykers are recognized as potentially dangerous, but are nurtured and given a chance to become useful. Pauldron Sizes grow by 38%.

Then the Tyranids arrive and eat everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kerman View Post
    Even given the badassery of the Emperor, would he be able to deal with the Void Dragon in Mars?
    HAH! Now I know people don't read books.

From Mechanicum;
    Void Dragon is in Mars. The Emperor put him there with his bare hands - and probably his vast psychic might. See all the 'Emperor beat up a C'Tan once' comments? That's what that refers to. The Emperor locked the Dragon in Mars because a being that powerful had to have an eye kept on it since the Emperor wasn't able to kill it (C'Tan can't be killed).

The prison isn't broken, and it's safe to say that it wouldn't break if the Emperor woke up.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    HAH! Now I know people don't read books.

From Mechanicum;
    Void Dragon is in Mars. The Emperor put him there with his bare hands - and probably his vast psychic might. See all the 'Emperor beat up a C'Tan once' comments? That's what that refers to. The Emperor locked the Dragon in Mars because a being that powerful had to have an eye kept on it since the Emperor wasn't able to kill it (C'Tan can't be killed).

The prison isn't broken, and it's safe to say that it wouldn't break if the Emperor woke up.
    But does he even exist anymore, is what I'm saying. The Necrons beat up and imprisoned all of the C'tan millions of years before the Emperor ever existed, in the Newcron continuity.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But does he even exist anymore, is what I'm saying. The Necrons beat up and imprisoned all of the C'tan millions of years before the Emperor ever existed, in the Newcron continuity.
    One got out? Or however you may want to explain it.

Mechanicum; 2008
    Newcrons; 2011

Sure, the fluff might have changed in three years. But I am loathe to even think that one of the Horus Heresy novels - especially one of the better ones - might be out of continuity somehow.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

I see what you did there.

Also, chaos put their power into Horus and the Emperor only lost because he didn't cut lose on Horus. If they pick someone he's less reluctant to fire away on it might not work out so well.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I see what you did there.

Also, chaos put their power into Horus and the Emperor only lost because he didn't cut lose on Horus. If they pick someone he's less reluctant to fire away on it might not work out so well.
    Give credit to Soras Teva Gee, he's the one who prefers to call them Retcrons. I prefer Newcrons.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    One got out? Or however you may want to explain it.

Mechanicum; 2008
    Newcrons; 2011

Sure, the fluff might have changed in three years. But I am loathe to even think that one of the Horus Heresy novels - especially one of the better ones - might be out of continuity somehow.
    I read somewhere where it was talking about people mislabeling things C'tan as well as hinting that perhaps some did manage to escape, though no one knows how many if that's even true at all.

Also while I did like that book the Void Dragon part was the part I hated the most.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show