New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Martial Arts in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Haven't heard of that. What is it?
    A jo is a 4ft staff: wikipedia link.

It's a surprisingly applicable skill in modern life since there's always something that can approximate to a big stick.

It is for us. In ARMA, pretty much everything's a legal zone (we wear 3-weapon fencing masks for protection), though we pull potentially dangerous and extremely painful shots (kicks to the knee, groin, etc).
    We're not full contact like ARMA appears to be, so we have to pull all our blows. Since we can have 10-20 people per side busy trying to kill each other during practices, I think it's a reasonable rule.

I'll have to keep those in mind. Keeping the spear low reminds me of the one time I used a naginata in kendo.
    I think you also don't have the issue of mail wearing opponents ignoring leg shots in our system, but smacking them in the legs (which they tend to ignore) then sliding up to the ribs (valid target zone) tends to take them by surprise.

But yes, keeping the spear low is useful as your opponent will have to bend over or squat to grab it, which either potentially unbalances him or reduces his mobility.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Haven't heard of that. What is it?
    A jo refers to a jo staff. It's a hardened wooden typically around four feet long, but can be longer or smaller.
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone ever done any sort of weapons training?
    During army, shooting and melee fighting with a rifle, as well as shooting with light machine guns, bazookas and pistols (plus throwing grenades, laying mines etc.). In Krav-maga, some training against a knife (both standing and wrestling). In karate, some training with and against a knife, and with a belt or scarf. In okinawan kobudo, bo, sai, tonfa, kama, nunchaku and short bamboo sticks. Listing all this makes me sound quite a dangerous person, no? XD
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Listing all this makes me sound quite a dangerous person, no? XD
    Unless you've fired something that has a calibre large enough to fit your arm down, you're still not quite there yet.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just practiced naginata fighting against a 5 year old. He won (I left open my defense of course). Still a fun weapon. You get 50 peasants together, give them a two meter long pole with a sword strapped to it, one hour of training and say: "the pointy end goes that away". Good luck getting through that on your horse

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rakkoon View Post
    I just practiced naginata fighting against a 5 year old. He won (I left open my defense of course). Still a fun weapon. You get 50 peasants together, give them a two meter long pole with a sword strapped to it, one hour of training and say: "the pointy end goes that away". Good luck getting through that on your horse
    Well, 50 naginatas would be worth quite a bit of money, so noone sane would give them to peasants.

One hour of 'training' and then stopping the horse would be even more insane, because those naginatas would get grabbed by enemy, after poor random peasants inevitably got routed, quite probably without any fighting at all (just slaughter of those running away).
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

For weapons, I've done jo, bokken and tanto through aikido, mostly forms and defense against them, as well as "how to flip over that bitch who tries to take your stick".

I've also gotten comfortable with mocked-up sabers, rapiers, short batons and, to a lesser extent, jian-style straight swords through screwing around in a woodshop class and sparring with friends.

Overall, I'm most comfortable with a bokken or saber.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't had any formal weapons training (though that may be an effect of TKD's focus on kicks and footwork), but I've learned the Jo informally.
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.