New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread III: Gotta 'Brew 'Em All!

Now that is something i didn't consider either :/ what can we do to get some extra room, if needed?

Edit: I also owe Quellian one, for now i will reward you a cookie. Thanks.
    Edit2:We could add posts at the thread's bottom and link to them, although that would be kinda disruptive to the thread if a new class were to be posted after it. Or we could start a new thread to host Utterances etc.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-04-18 at 03:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I'm no longer inspired by the Percussionist, and will be replacing it with the Jongleur.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

For some strange reason, that sounds scary.

I'll be adding Axe and Greataxe on the weapons list, mostly because of Instrumental Weapon. It doesn't exactly match the class' flavor, but how can I deprive anyone of the Axtar?
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Just finished adding more or less all of the class features, unless i come up with something extra. Just need to add the Chords (read: spells/utterances), which will be slow and progressive :P.

What do you think? Is the kit lacking/overloaded? Is the wording of something bad? Are the numbers unbalanced? If anything catches your eye, mention it.

As for chords, there will be tiers, and most will deliver simple effects and require that you have experienced some semblance of their effect and/or you have taken some specific action. The number you can learn will be limited (especially at higher tiers) until level 20 when you can learn any number you are eligible for.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Schnockers. I forgot to reserve a post for Utterances. Is it okay if I link to a Google Drive Document?
    A new post would probably be better at the bottom. Just link to the post anywhere in your class like this or at the bottom, if you prefer.

A Google Document would work if you really don't want to make a new post.

I got a question in a PM about this, as well. The option that should not be used is creating a new thread.

As for artwork, it's completely optional. I'll clarify this in the template.

EDIT: "Put an optional image of your class here (following da rules)!"
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-04-21 at 02:43 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Kudos, thanks :D

(Changelog: fixed a minor balance issue and a typo.)
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-04-22 at 09:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307

Hey, everybody. Since the forums were attacked and down for a while, I'll extend the due date for the contest. Happy homebrewing, everyone. Hope nobody lost anything from this.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

8. - Top - End - #308
    Pixie in the Playground

I was interested by the idea of the the contest, so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

Really need to find a picture to make the name work, though.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
    I was interested by the idea of the the contest, so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

Really need to find a picture to make the name work, though.
    Welcome to the playground and to the contest.

Just make sure to follow the rules for images as outlined here.

Happy 'brewing.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm in a bind. I want to give the class a utility "spell" that basically demands attention. Here's the dilemma:

"As a full-round action this spell refreshes your abilities (random details) and everyone present cannot take swift, standard and full-round actions in their turns until your next turn.

So, the question is: do i add a save? Normally, a save would decrease the spell's potency, which would be good. But, as it is it's effect is universal: more of a factor than a trick. The playing field remains level. If i add a save, those that make it get a major advantage, which makes it exploitable and thus stronger.

So, do I go with traditional knowledge and nerf it with a save, or do I leave it impartial without one?

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    I'm in a bind. I want to give the class a utility "spell" that basically demands attention. Here's the dilemma:

"As a full-round action this spell refreshes your abilities (random details) and everyone present cannot take swift, standard and full-round actions in their turns until your next turn.

So, the question is: do i add a save? Normally, a save would decrease the spell's potency, which would be good. But, as it is it's effect is universal: more of a factor than a trick. The playing field remains level. If i add a save, those that make it get a major advantage, which makes it exploitable and thus stronger.

So, do I go with traditional knowledge and nerf it with a save, or do I leave it impartial without one?
    Can creatures still take immediate and free actions? What's the radius? Level of the spell? Regardless, I think a save would be good.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Free are hardly actions, so yes, immediate actions take energy and effort but not time (as swift) so no. If you can do it while spontaneously turning your head and attention to the sound's source, it's fair game. Radius is earshot, if you can hear it you want to check it. The spell is available at level 1 (it's the equivalent of one of ToB's recovery mechanics, refreshing the few-per-encounter casts), usable once per minute. Basically, a full-round, magically-enhanced distraction meant to give you the spotlight back.

13. - Top - End - #313

Free are hardly actions, so yes, immediate actions take energy and effort but not time (as swift) so no. If you can do it while spontaneously turning your head and attention to the sound's source, it's fair game. Radius is earshot, if you can hear it you want to check it. The spell is available at level 1 (it's the equivalent of one of ToB's recovery mechanics, refreshing the few-per-encounter casts), usable once per minute. Basically, a full-round, magically-enhanced distraction meant to give you the spotlight back.
    Do creatures who can't hear get affected by this?
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

It's sound-based, so no.

Well, ain't that en exploit :/

15. - Top - End - #315

It's sound-based, so no.

Well, ain't that en exploit :/
    Earplugs, whoo!

Good luck on this. It sounds cool.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

What's less bad, making it affect deaf (with some excuse) or affect deaf allies normally but not deaf enemies?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, i've decided. It's whole point is to be a flashy move to give you the spotlight, so it's not just a flashy sound. It's a whole flashy performance, weaved with magic for good measure, too. So even if you can't hear it, it's still spectacular enough that it distracts you.

As for a save, i'll just add a footnote saying "here's the deal DM, you choose" or something.

18. - Top - End - #318

Ok, i've decided. It's whole point is to be a flashy move to give you the spotlight, so it's not just a flashy sound. It's a whole flashy performance, weaved with magic for good measure, too. So even if you can't hear it, it's still spectacular enough that it distracts you.

As for a save, i'll just add a footnote saying "here's the deal DM, you choose" or something.
    Sounds fair.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #319

Hey Temotei, any chance of an extension? Like, by a month? Lol. I doubt I'm going to have time to finish this...

gitp extended sig

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Hey Temotei, any chance of an extension? Like, by a month? Lol. I doubt I'm going to have time to finish this...
    I could stretch it by a few days, maybe a week because of the servers being down and people not being notified right away, but a month is too much.

If an extension of three or four days would get you enough time to finish, I'll do that, but any more I'm going to say is too much.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I could stretch it by a few days, maybe a week because of the servers being down and people not being notified right away, but a month is too much.

If an extension of three or four days would get you enough time to finish, I'll do that, but any more I'm going to say is too much.
    Doubtful... I'll see what I can do, but my wife is due to have baby #2 in the next couple weeks... life's been crazy (and will get crazier), as you can imagine.

gitp extended sig

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Doubtful... I'll see what I can do, but my wife is due to have baby #2 in the next couple weeks... life's been crazy (and will get crazier), as you can imagine.
    Squee. This sounds really monotone. Imagine a monotone squee. Just try.

Good luck, mayne. I'd love to delay it because that's a better reason than most, but delaying even more than we already have seems excessive. If you don't finish, better luck next time, I hope.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe an extra day or 2 would be useful to me as well. I may not even need them, but as things are i have 3 deadlines (including it) on the exact same day

So, i'd not ask for an extension, but if percy wants a small one i'd vote for.

24. - Top - End - #324

Maybe an extra day or 2 would be useful to me as well. I may not even need them, but as things are i have 3 deadlines (including it) on the exact same day

So, i'd not ask for an extension, but if percy wants a small one i'd vote for.
    Two people is enough for me for a sure extension. I'm sure no one will complain too much about having extra time to look over their stuff.

I'll give the deadline a three-day extension. That puts it at May 28th at 23:59 Central Time U.S. I'll likely be late by an hour or two, though.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-05-20 at 09:40 AM.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #325

Well, I took out a bit too much to swallow. I wanted to do custom lexica, but I guess I'll switch to just using Truenamer Lexica.

EDIT: Anybody interested in a PEACH trade?
    Last edited by malonkey1; 2013-05-20 at 01:39 PM.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Anybody interested in a PEACH trade?
    As little as my experience (and thus ability) is, always! Ask away!

27. - Top - End - #327

Okay, Xhosant:

First off, Infuse Essence. I feel like the reroll is a little unecessary. Perhaps just lose the bonus while performing unobserved actions?

Instrumental Weapon: A Potent ability, simply for the fact that you have a weapon and an instrument at your beck and call at any time. Can the summoning effect be made a free action with Quick Draw? Additionally, I assume the secondary, attack-modifying abilities have limited daily uses?

Chords: Seem balanced. Are you allowed to have Flight take the form of a propeller beanie? :P

All in all, not a bad class. The theme is well-met, and the class's features aren't too wildly out of bounds on either end. My guess is, it'd be somewhere in T3 or T4
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

so how is my class? Ive been done for a while :p
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Infuse Essence. I feel like the reroll is a little unecessary.
    It's meant to represent the sudden lack of guidance. If you're playing the part, you gotta stick to it :P Plus, it facilitates Infuse Life.

Instrumental Weapon: A Potent ability, simply for the fact that you have a weapon and an instrument at your beck and call at any time.
    That was the idea. I was thinking, "I'm in bard territory, what makes him as weak as they say? Possibly, that he can't fight and play at the same time."
    Can the summoning effect be made a free action with Quick Draw?
    I'll leave that up to the GM, since it might become unbalanced. Sensible though.
    Additionally, I assume the secondary, attack-modifying abilities have limited daily uses?
    I was thinking unlimited, so as to promote Charisma's usefulness in an extra way. Is it too good?

Chords: Seem balanced. Are you allowed to have Flight take the form of a propeller beanie? :P
    Of course :P But i was thinking more Touhou fanart wings. So, everyone's happy!

I'll be posting your PEACH back within a couple hours, and then it's inuyasha's turn.

EDIT: Any particular point you want me to focus on, you two?
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-24 at 09:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

So, malonkey:

Fix on the Law is solid, although you may want to add a little something to prevent use of a single, maybe 2 utterances (that was the lost concept behind it)

The DCs avoid the trap the original fell for, but it may need to be bumped up a tiny bit. I'm not entirely sure, but off the top of my head, i think it scales almost exactly as the average roll as you level, baring items, feats etc. If you factor these in, you can probably make the rolls trivial soon (especially if you get your hands on a "always-take-10" power) and you may want to avoid that. Still, didn't do the math and it's probably no big deal anyway.

Like the "no penalty for fighting with instrument" bit, a simple and elegant solution. ok, well, as elegant as smacking a guy with a guitar can be, but you get my point :P

Basic riffs is a good, simple attack. Useful.

Power chord is kinda tricky, in that you won't be using it aggressively a lot, difficulty of finding a truename and all. I would add a high-DC truespeech check "backdoor", in other words you either make a highly difficult check (possibly at better odds if used helpfully) OR use a truename for it to succeed. Also, might I point out that, unless i'm misunderstanding something, only creatures (PCs and NPCs alike) of 10HD or more allow you research of their truenames. That would you only really get Power Chord at level 10. Or i'm horribly wrong.

Whammy bar is an interesting mechanic, my only concern is that a d10 is an average 5.5, compared to the 6 you give up on. That means a negligible negative modifier, so you may or may not want to check this. Some very minor scaling with charisma or truespeak, perhaps?

Anthem of Awesome is, well, awesome. Simple and powerful, perfect for a lvl15 power.

Power Ballad is strong and solid, except for truename reliance and the issues linked with it.

Finally, PtyFB is great, the short of thing that ought be at lvl20.

Bottom line, things look generally solid. If I'm a little harsh, it's cause i'm a tweaker by nature, even perfection can take some improvement. Only really important thing, you may want to modify personal truename rules or add a supporting-replacement-thingy along, something easier to get, to substitute truenames for lesser effect. Maybe a riff that "strikes true" to the target's truename, which you can find with a good roll in-combat and only lasts for a little while?