New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread III: Gotta 'Brew 'Em All!

I like the gluttonous adept. After reading through it, it looks pretty funny and silly.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm feeling the science behind it. They cast spells and eat things. Maybe the rest of the class will become more science-y, but so far, I'm not seeing it.

Still, focusing a bit more on the biological aspects of the class could make it fit better. Perhaps try for that.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I like the gluttonous adept. After reading through it, it looks pretty funny and silly.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm feeling the science behind it. They cast spells and eat things. Maybe the rest of the class will become more science-y, but so far, I'm not seeing it.

Still, focusing a bit more on the biological aspects of the class could make it fit better. Perhaps try for that.
    I have to agree with both the good and the bad I'm afraid. On the one hand, their casting is equivalent to a wizard's, so more science-y class features would be a bit too powerful I think. That leaves fluff and feats to make them fit the theme better. Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking of a "control metabolism" line of feats or something like that.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I have to agree with both the good and the bad I'm afraid. On the one hand, their casting is equivalent to a wizard's, so more science-y class features would be a bit too powerful I think. That leaves fluff and feats to make them fit the theme better. Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking of a "control metabolism" line of feats or something like that.
    Or you could change the spells to function differently in a more science-like way. I'm not sure how you'd do that right now, though.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #184

I like the GA too. Perhaps change it to a "genetic adept", change the fluff to make it some sort of arcane geneticist? It may change some of the mechanics a bit (or not, depends how realistic you want it to be...), but it'd be a pretty simple way to change it to fit the theme purely by re-fluff.

BTW: I can haz PEACH plz? I'll PEACH back!
    Last edited by malonkey1; 2013-02-12 at 09:06 PM.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure how to feel about the abilities I'm giving out as fundamental Understandings. On the one hand, casters can do much the same thing. On the other, it's some really strong stuff. Including things like "Answer a question. Go on, any question, really."
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    BTW: I can haz PEACH plz? I'll PEACH back!
    Don't ask much, do you? Alright, here goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Engineer

“Yeah, clever little widget, that Mythallar, but I think it could use a touchscreen. Maybe some rockets. Oh! Oh! Or how about lasers!!”

Arcane Engineers are people who use the magical energies around them to power various magical machines, as opposed to simply casting spells. These machines can have a variety of effects, but an Arcane Engineer can only have so many of them at a time.

Adventures: The Arcane Engineer adventures for one reason above all others: To use awesome gadgets. They love to show off their latest gizmo at the first chance, and can often be found confounding dragons or confusing displacer beasts with laser pointers.

Characteristics: Arcane Engineers love to invent and discover. Whatever they use them for, their gadgets are their favorite thing. Some have been known to wax lyrical about the specifications of their devices. If you have two of them meet, be prepared to drown in technical jargon. The Arcane Engineer is quite possibly the only class that can out-jargon Wizards.

Alignment: The rigorous work required to develop the machinery of an Arcane Engineer, as well as hone the magical powers that fuel them, often make this class well-suited to lawful characters. That doesn't prevent other alignments from learning the secrets of this class.

Religion: They tend not to worry about deities so much, but those that do tend to follow gods of magic, science or study.

Background/Race: Arcane Engineers can come from nearly any intelligent race with a mechanical bent, but Gnomes, Humans, and Elves produce the largest number of them. Kobolds, with their knack for trapmaking, can be surprisingly skillful Arcane Engineers.

Other Classes: They usually get along well with Wizards, but there can be friction in the area of theory vs. practice. Martial classes such as fighters tend to find an Arcane Engineer's practicality refreshing. Divine and Natural casters tend to be pretty ambivalent, depending on their personal views.

Role: Depending on your choice of Gadgets and Devices, you can fill numerous roles. The one role that is largely out of your reach is that of the healer, although you do receive some limited healing ability.

Adaptation: The Arcane Engineer is pretty setting-ready as it is, especially in relatively advanced settings such as Eberron.
    Pah. Engineers aren't scientists.
    More seriously, seems fine so far. Puts me in mind of the Artificer.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
    Arcane Engineers have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: Intelligence is a big stat, as it affects your Gadgets and your Devices, as well as their potency. Dexterity and Constitution are important for survival in combat.
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: d6
    Starting Age: As Wizard
    Starting Gold: As Wizard
    Sure.

Class Skills
    The Arcane Engineer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Knowledge[Any] (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier
    Sure.

ARCANE ENGINEER
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Engineering Points

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Bonus Feay, Gadgetry, Devices (5)|6

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Craft Focus|10

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Feat|12

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Devices (10)|15

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Item Creation|18

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Bonus Feat|21

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Rapid Building|28

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Bonus Feat, Devices (15)|32

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Craft Focus|36

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Bonus Feat|45

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +9

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Devices (20)|55

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Bonus Feat|60

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Craft Focus, Bonus Feat|78

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Devices (25)|84[/table]
    Mmm. Okay.

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Arcane Engineer:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Arcane Engineers are proficient with simple weapons, and light armor, as well as any weapon-like or armor-like gadgets or devices they can build.
    Alright, that's an interesting clause. I presume that all will become clear.

Bonus Feats: At levels 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, and 19, you may choose any of the following as bonus feats: Item Creation Feats, Meta-Supernatural Ability Feats, or the Extra Engineering Points Feat (see below).
    Mmmkay. Lots of feats.

Exotic Arcana: The magic wielded by the Arcane Engineer is unusual indeed. You qualify for (and gain any applicable benefits from) any prestige classes which require any of the following:
    • Caster Level without a specific requirement for arcane or divine spellcasting. Any class that advances spellcasting advances Engineering Points and Builder Level instead.
    • Ability to cast a specific spell that can be replicated by a Gadget you are capable of building. If a class feature requires use of that spell, it instead uses up a use of that spell from the equivalent Gadget.

Additionally, any feat which requires caster level as a prerequisite is also satisfied by Builder Level.
    Typo bolded. I think, based on the fluff of the class, it would make more sense to qualify only for arcane spellcasting classes. Apart from that, seems fine.

Gadgetry (Su or Ex): You can create gadgets to aid you. These Gadgets have no level, but in order to make one, you must spend Engineering points equal to its cost. All of these gadgets have a hardness of 10 + 1/2 your class level and HP equal to its EP cost. You can spend extra gadget engineering points to gain an insight bonus equal to extra points spent on all rolls with that gadget, up to 1/2 your class level, or to gain specific extra effects. This also increases bonuses provided by the gadget in question. Unless specifically stated, the gadget's abilities are supernatural abilities. So long as you have a functioning gadget, your Engineering Point reserve is reduced by the cost of making the gadget. Saving throw DCs for abilities granted by Gadgets are 10 + 1/4 point cost + Intelligence Bonus. Inspiration Points from the Factotum class can be used as Engineering Points, but not vice-versa. Factotums must still have levels in this class to use this ability. You can voluntarily destroy gadgets, “cannibalizing” them for points. To build these machines, you must spend 1 minute per point cost for each machine, and provokes attacks of opportunity. Taking damage while building a Gadget requires a Concentration check (DC 10 + 1/2 EP cost). If you fail this check, your Gadget is ruined and you must start over. If your Engineering Point reserve falls below the number required to have your active devices, you must reduce Engineering points spent for bonuses, and if that does not bring your EP reserve back up to at least 0, your Gadgets lose effectiveness, starting with your most expensive gadget, and working down to your weakest gadgets. Gadgets can be used by others, so long as they remain within 60 feet of you. You need not have a line of effect. Gadgets do not interfere with armor or spellcasting (Except in the case of gadgets built into armor, which affect spellcasting as their non-gadget equivalent, if a type of armor is mentioned). Gadgets with supernatural abilities are nullified under the same circumstances that other magic items would be, such as if dispelled or a soulmeld is bound to their body slot(s). You may use Meta-Supernatural feats in conjunction with any of your own gadgets.
    Typo bolded. Building these things is so impractical in combat that I don't think you need to specify about attacks of opportunity and taking damage - rather, simply state that the process requires relative calm. The rest seems fine.

Devices (Su or Ex): You can hobble together an improvised gadget that lasts for a number of rounds equal to your class level + your Intelligence Bonus (if any). These do not use points from your normal Engineering Points, but instead use “virtual EP” as given on the table above. These points are not replenished until you have rested for 8 hours, as opposed to Engineering Points. This is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. They otherwise follow the same rules as Gadgets.
    Seems fine.

Craft Focus (Ex): At levels 3, 11, & 19 you receive a +2 competence bonus on a specific type of Craft check. This stacks with Skill Focus, but you may not choose the same Craft skill more than once with this class feature. As you gain a new Craft Focus, the bonuses from existing ones each increase by +2.
    This is so small as to be almost insulting. I would just give the bonus to all craft checks - it's not like craft checks matter to anyone.

Item Creation (Su): You can craft magic items without possessing the spell required, provided you have the necessary crafting feat. You can choose to either substitute a spell with a Use Magic Device Check (DC 30 + spell level), or use Engineering points equal to 2 + twice the spell's level. If you choose the latter, any magical properties pertaining to the replaced spell become inactive if the item leaves your possession. If all of the effects on the item depend wholly or partially on that spell, the item becomes completely inert and non-magical upon leaving your possession. You can mix and match spell replacement methods as you please. If you use EP to build the item, then you lose those points until the item is destroyed or out of charges.
    Hmmm. Hmmmmmm. I'm... not at all sure what to think about this one. I can't give you anything constructive, but it seems off.

Rapid Building (Ex): At level 9, you gain the ability to rush the building of a machine, increasing the Engineering point cost by 1/2 to build it as a full-round action.
    This strikes me as something that could get ugly fast, depending on the gadget effects. I'll bear it in mind when looking at those.

New Feats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Extra Engineering Points:
    Prerequisites: Gadgetry Class Feature
    Benefits: You gain extra EP equal to your HD. If you gain additional Hit Dice, your Engineering Points improve with them. You also receive an equal bonus to your virtual EP for the Device class feature.
    ...this feat damn near doubles your Device pool once you get to mid levels. I would split this up into a feat to boost the Device pool and a feat to boost the EP pool, and calibrate the numbers according to each one individually.

Spoiler
    Show
    Azure Engineering [Incarnum]:
    Prerequisites: Gadgetry Class Feature, Con 13
    Benefits: Once per day, you can invest Essentia into this feat. You gain bonus Engineering Points equal to the invested Essentia. Once you invested Essentia in this feat, you cannot change it for 24 hours.
    You gain 1 Essentia.
    This, on the other hand, is insultingly weak. A maximum of four extra engineering points? No, just no.

Spoiler
    Show
    Soulbound Engineering:
    Prerequisites: Gadgetry Class Feature, ability to bind a Vestige
    Benefits: While you have a Vestige bound, you can forgo a power granted by the Vestige in order to gain bonus Engineering Points equal to the level of the Vestige whose power you forwent.
    I can't comment on this one, not knowing vestiges.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psychic Engineering [Psionic]:
    Requires: Gadgetry Class Feature
    Benefits: You can expend your Psionic Focus to increase the bonuses from a single Gadget as if you had spent an extra Engineering Point on it. You may also spend power points while you do so, increasing the bonus by the number of power points spent. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Intelligence Bonus. (Minimum 1)
    Mmmm. Seems reasonable enough, I suppose.

Gadget Listing:
    *snip*
    ...I'm gonna be here a while.

Spoiler
    Show
    -snip-
    Advanced Lock
    Cost: 5
    Type: Special (lock)
    Uses: N/A
    Save: None
    Effect: You build a truly special lock. This lock, when attached to a door or similar object, has an open DC of 15 + builder level. The break DC of the object to which it is attached increases as the arcane lock spell, as cast by a Wizard of your builder level.
    Point Effect: Using extra points increases the open DC and bonus hardness by 1.
    Sure, why not.

Agile Servos
    Cost: 7
    Type: Boots
    Uses: 1/4 BL per day
    Effect: These servers are finely tuned for agility, allowing the wearer to replicate cat's grace as cast by a Wizard of your builder level.
    Point Effect: Every 3 extra points increase the effect duration by 1 minute.
    I presume that you round down, as per usual, in which case this is okay - otherwise this is cat's grace at level 1 (well, 2 if you skip EEP), which seems unreasonably strong.

Animatron [Evil]
    Cost: 21
    Type: Headband
    Uses: Single-Use
    Effect: A corpse, skeleton, or other physical remains of a small or medium humanoid fitted with this device will rise as a golem of the appropriate type (bone flesh golem for corpses, bone golem for skeletal remains) for up to 1d4 rounds per BL. After its effects wear off, the magical circuits burn out, preventing you from reusing it. You can also use it on a wooden body of an appropriate size. If you do this, this loses the [evil] descriptor.
    Point Effect: Every 4 extra points used to make this imbues the created golem with and extra Hit Die.
    Typo bolded. This comes online at precisely seventh level, at which point it lasts an average of 17.5 rounds - more than enough for a battle and then some. Not only that, but you can just scrap and rebuild this for every battle - basically netting you a CR 7 flesh golem every combat, which strikes me as somewhat overpowered. You should provide references for bone and wood golems, which are not listed in core.

Audio Aid [Sonic] [Extraordinary]
    Cost: 1
    Type: Special
    Uses: Passive
    Effect: Upon placing this object in your ear canal, you receive a +1 circumstance bonus to Listen checks. You also take +1 damage from all direct-damage sonic spells.
    Point Effect: For each extra point you use, the Listen bonus and extra damage taken from sonics increases by +1.
    Um. Seems pretty boring, and the extra damage from sonic spells drops this from boring to desperately risky.

Auto-Doc
    Type: Backpack
    Uses: Special
    Effect: This device, when worn on the back, can be used to quickly stitch up wounds mid-combat. You can use this device a total number of rounds equal to 1/2 your builder level, which don't need to be consecutive and can be divided as you please. While this device is active, you receive fast healing equal to 1/4 your builder level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increase the number of round this device can be used for by 1.
    Healing ranging from level˛/8 to 3level˛/16 over a span of enough rounds to be useless in combat. Even at twentieth level this constitutes only 50 points of damage. At level 4 it's 2 or 3. At level 8 it's 8 to 12. This is pathetically weak, sorry.

-breakpoint because too many characters for one post-
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2013-02-13 at 05:21 AM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Black Light [Darkness] [Extraordinary]
    Type: Wand
    Uses: At will.
    Effect: Activating this device is a swift action. This wand emits a 60-foot cone of UV light that provides a +1 circumstance bonus to Search checks within that cone. Additionally, any magic items with a Caster Level greater than 12 immediately begin to fluoresce within this cone. This does not allow you to identify the school of the magic item or detect lingering spell effects.
    Point Effect: Each additional point increases the Search check bonus by +1. Additionally, Spending 3 extra points causes magic items with a Caster level between 6-11 to fluoresce. Spending a total of 6 points causes all magic items to fluoresce.
    Why is this a [Darkness] effect? Besides that, it seems... weakish. Still, it's cheap enough to be assembled in the heat of the moment. I guess it's alright.

Blaster Gloves [Force]
    Type: Gloves
    Uses: 3/4 Builder Level missiles/day
    Effect: These gloves, covered in magical capacitors, can fire 3 missiles per 4 Builder levels (max 15), each dealing 1d4+1 damage. Any effects that protect against magic missile protect against this ability.
    Point Effect: Every 2 points allows you to fire an extra missile per day, and each point increases the total damage of any missiles you fire per day by +1. You can spread this damage across each missile as you wish.
    Hmm. Can these all be fired off at once? If so, it could be useful for novas. If not, it's utterly worthless.

Blink Matrix
    Cost: 9
    Type: Armor
    Uses: 1/4 BL/day
    Effect: This normal Chain Shirt has numerous whirring, humming devices attached. Once per day per 4 Builder Levels, you can replicate the blink spell as a Wizards of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the duration of the effect by 1 round.
    Typo struck through. Seems reasonable enough, I suppose, but it calls to mind an overarching concern which I'll bring up at the end of this.

Chaos Wave Device [Chaotic]
    Cost: 28
    Uses: 1/4 BL/day
    Save: Special
    Effect: These gloves are covered in fine wires, with a small multi-colored lens over the middle knuckle. Once per day per 4 Builder Levels, you can replicate the prismatic spray spell as a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used on this device increase the save DC for its effects by 1.
    ...urk. No. Nononono. This comes in at level 9. And it's replicating a level 7 spell. No, no, just no.

Cloaker
    Cost: 10
    Type: Cloak
    Uses: Special; see text
    Effect: This cloak has what looks like thin gold wires threaded through its fabric. The light just seems to slide past it. While wearing this cloak, you receive 25% concealment. Once per 4 builder levels per day, you can replace this concealment with the effects of an invisibility spell as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used by this gadget grants you a +1 competence bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks (cumulative).
    Hmmm. Comes online at 3rd - this would be nice to give to a friendly rogue. Still, invisibility comes online at the same time. The concealment, however, is potentially worrisome for being too powerful at high levels for its cost. I'd consider splitting this up, or making it higher level.

Combat Laser [Light]
    Cost: 26
    Type: Weapon
    Save: Reflex negates, Reflex half; see text
    Effect: This small device looks like a wand with an angled handle and a trigger. It can be used as a ranged weapon which deals 1d6 fire damage as a ray (critical 19-20 x2). This does not wear down, but you can overcharge it, replicating the effects of a sunbeam spell as cast by a Druid of your Builder Level up to once per day per 5 Builder Levels.
    Point Effect: Each extra point you spend on this device increases its attack and damage by the number of extra points used as an untyped bonus. This bonus damage also applies to its sunbeam ability.
    Mmm. Comes online at ninth level... seems rather weak, given how much it costs.

Commlink [Mind-Affecting]
    Cost: 17
    Type: Headband
    Effect: This headband has a small gem set into the front, which shines a little more brightly when you place it on your head. Its mate is identical. This headband allows the wearer to communicate with its mate as if by the telepathic bond spell as cast by a Wizard of your level.
    Point Effect: Every 3 points you spend on this item allows you to add a headband for them to use, including them in the effect. You cannot exceed the normal limit for the spell this way.
    Hypothetically comes online at sixth, but being utility isn't really viable to devote most of your points to... mmmm. Ye-ess.... seems reasonable-ish.

Dart Guns [Extraordinary]
    Cost: 3
    Type: Bracer
    Effect: These bracers have what looks like miniature crossbows attached to them. There is a small trigger attached to the wrist on each. These bracers give you two ranged natural attacks which each deal 1d4 damage (do not add ability modifiers). These attacks require you to load them with darts. You can make 5 attacks with each before reloading (a full-round action to reload both, move action to reload 1).
    Point Effect: Each extra point you use on this gadget increases the number of darts it can hold by 1.
    Ranged natural attacks are an unusual mechanic, and this does very little damage... but it's also something you can do at first level. Hmmm. The points need to boost the damage and possibly attack, or this becomes obsolete far too quickly.

De-Summoner
    Cost: 16
    Uses: 1/day
    Save: Will negates
    Effect: This small wand is wrapped tightly in insulated wires, and has a small glass ball which crackles with energy attached to the end. You can, once per day, use this device to dismiss an outsider as per the dismissal spell, as cast by a Cleric of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used on this machine increases the save DC by 1.
    Veeery niche. This seems like a prime target for rapid building. It does come online as early as sixth if you have proper warning, but that's barely before a cleric can prepare it. All told, I think this is probably broken - too powerful when it works, and too weak the rest of the time.

Death Trap [Death]
    Cost: 33
    Type: Trap
    Uses: Single use
    Save: Fortitude negates
    Effect: You can set this trap, with is composed of various magical capacitors connected to a single, powerful circuit that resembles a skull. When it is triggered, it replicates the effects of a symbol of death as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used on this gadget increases either the DCs to find and disable the trap or the save DC by 1. You can mix these bonuses as you please.
    You do like those magical capacitors, don't you? Comes online at level 11, hypothetically. Seems very niche again, but if you construct it and then slap it on a wall as you flee it could be quite strong.

Debilitating Mace
    Save: Fortitude Negates
    Effect: This +1 mace discharges a small electrical jolts, causing muscle spasms. On hitting a living opponent, this weapon deals 1 point of Strength damage (Fortitude negates). Each point of Strength damage stacks. This can also be done through a touch attack, but this does not deal weapon damage.
    Point Effect: Every 5 extra points increases the Strength damage dealt by this gadget.
    Comes online very early - level 3, hypothetically. With EEP you could get two of them at level 5. I'm not sure what to think about this. Strength damage is strong in sufficient quantities, but this is probably not going to add up to more than 5 damage over a combat until iteratives come online - or until you start boosting it, which doesn't happen until level 10. I'd suggest making this more expensive, but also more powerful, because as it is it scales really oddly.

Decomposer
    Cost: 18
    Type: Rod
    Uses: 5 charges/day
    Save: Special; see text
    Effect: You can use 1 charge on this device to: replicate transmute stone to mud, replicate transmute mud to stone, or deal 1d6 damage/Builder Level (max 6d6) to any creature or object composed of plant matter (a successful Fortitude save halves this damage).
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points you spend on this gadget, it gains 1 extra charge per day.
    Stone to mud, mud to stone, sucks to be all your foes. At level 6, no less. I'd call this balanced, except... see the concern at the end.

Dialysis Machine [Extraordinary]
    Cost: 12
    Uses: At will
    Effect: This machine resembles a coffin, except that it has numerous tubes and a small, square object attached to it. This device can neutralize literally any poison. This takes a number of hours equal to the DC of the poison, during which time the subject does not need to make saves. If they do remain in the device for the full time, then their poison's effects resume.
    Point Effects: For every 2 extra points used to make this device reduces the required amount of time to neutralize poisons by 1 hour, to a minimum of 10 minute.
    Hmmm. That takes a looong time. Fourth level, this comes online - neutralize poison is next level. I'm inclined to call this far too weak.

Dimension Pull Unit
    Uses: 2/week
    Effect: This normal Leather Armor is covered in odd machines and carefully arranged crystals, with a single, fist-sized piece of onyx in the center. 2 times per week, you can use this gadget to replicate the simulacrum spell as a Wizard of your Builder Level. This duplicate is pulled from another reality, and has only a tentative link to your reality, and only remains for 1 round per 2 Builder Levels.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points used for this gadget grants an additional weekly use each.
    Hmm. Curious thing. Comes online at ninth... at which point you give it to your friend (say a caster), and it becomes extraordinarily powerful, but also extraordinarily passive. Uses per week are very odd indeed, and play into my overarching concern.

Dimensional Lock
    Type: Ring
    Save: Will negates; see text
    Effect: This ring is made from carefully carved quartz, with a small, pulsing gem and a miniscule circuit board attached. It hums with energy, and begins to heat up in the presence of interplanar travel magic, such as a gate. Anyone wearing this ring is incapable of being targeted by effects originating from other planes, including conjuration (calling) spells. This does not extend to extra-planar effects being channeled through a character on the wearer's plane (e.g. vestige powers, turning, healing spells, etc.). This device also prevents the wearer from traveling between planes. In order to remove it, the wearer must succeed on a Will save (the builder can remove this device from any creature without making a save). Success means the ring is removed and permanently disabled, returning its Engineering Points to its maker (If removed by the builder, he can choose whether it is disabled upon removing it). Failure causes 1d4 electrical damage/builder level to the wearer, and they may not try again for 24 hours. This device is not subject to the 60-foot range limitation of devices, and remains functional at an infinite distance from its builder.
    Point Effect: Each extra point spent on this device increases the will save DC by 1.
    Seems extremely niche again. Also, there's no easy way to put this on someone you haven't already incapacitated. Really, a lot of these gadgets are far too niche on the whole.

Disruption Module
    Save: Fortitude half; see text
    Effect: This small bundle of wires, transistors, and capacitors appears to be designed to be attached to the handle of a weapon. A weapon with this machine attached cracks and sparks with energy when striking undead. Any weapon with this device attached to it deals double damage to undead creatures, (this doubling stacks with multipliers for critical hits). The weapon can also be used to perform critical hits and sneak attacks against undead. Undead affected by critical hits and sneak attacks are treated as if they have 50% fortification.
    Point Effect: Each extra point allows this device to replicate detect undead 1/day.
    Comes online at sixth again. Once again, extremely niche - I think that's a second overarching concern that I'll discuss at the end. I'll stop mentioning it.

Dweomerlyzer
    Cost: 20
    Uses: 3/day
    Effect: This rod has a small display on one side. When you hold it over a magic item, it beeps and whirs before giving a brief explanation of its properties. 3 times per day, you can replicate the effects of a legend lore spell.
    Point Effect: For every 3 extra points, you can use this device 1 extra time per day.
    Legend Lore usually comes online at level 11, whereas this can be assembled at seventh level. Since it can easily be assembled between combats, you make casters with access to legend lore sad.

EM Goggles
    Type: Goggles
    Effect: These goggles have large, green lenses, and is covered in circuits and wires. You are treated as having the effects of true seeing when faced with effects without a caster level or with a caster level equal to or less than your builder level.
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points used for this device, your builder level for the purpose of this device's effects receives a cumulative +1 circumstance bonus.
    Hmmm. Curious device.

Emergency Teleporter
    Type: Ring
    Uses: Single-use
    Effect: This ring is studded with tiny white gems. Depending on the circumstances, they occasionally glow. When building this ring, its maker must designate specific conditions under which it will activate, as well as where the user is teleported. When activated, this device replicates the effects of word of recall for its wearer, as well as 1 other willing creature per 1 builder levels. Using this device destroys it.
    Point Effect: Every 4 points grants an additional use of this ring before it is destroyed.
    Contingent teleport at level 11. Another curious beast.

Enhanced Cloaker
    Cost: 14
    Type: Cloak
    Effect: This cloak is barely visible, an obvious advancement from its predecessor. This device functions like the cloaker, except that it replicates greater invisibility.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used by this gadget grants you a +1 competence bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks (cumulative).
    ....you are kidding, right? You're joking? Greater invisibility at level 5? No, no, not in a million years.

Ethereal Pulser
    Type: Vest
    Uses: 5/day
    Effect: This vest, covered in strange crystals and boggling circuitry, seems to fade into near-invisibility at its edges. 5 times per day, this vest can be used to replicate ethereal jaunt as a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: If you use 5 extra points on this device, your natural and melee attacks gain the force descriptor, allowing you to use them against corporeal creatures without the accompanying miss chance.
    ...this is a level seven spell. That you can access five times per day at level five. What.

Extinguisher
    Cost: 15
    Save: Reflex partial; see text
    Effect: This Wand feels cool to the touch. If you hold it too close to a bonfire or other large heat source, it trembles, almost like it's anticipating something. This device allows you to replicate the quench spell as a swift action. Any creature that would be damaged by this effect can make a Reflex save to halve damage from this spell.
    Point Effect: Every extra point used on this device increases your fire resistance by 1.
    Nothing to see here.

Flashbang [Sonic][Light][Extraordinary]
    Cost: 13
    Uses: 1/2 BL per day
    Effect: This device appears to be an assembler of some sort. When you open it, you find a small, eggshaped object with a pin. This machine generates 1/2 Builder Level grenades each day. Those within 30 feet of a thrown grenade must make a will save or be stunned and/or deafened for 1d8 rounds. Each save must be made independently.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points grants an extra grenade per day.
    Typo bolded. This seems like a bread-and-butter gadget, and reasonable for its level.

Force Cannon [Force]
    Uses: 1/2 BL/day
    Effect: This pistol has a small number of glass orbs set into the sides of the barrel, each one glowing gently. This +1 pistol (1d10 piercing, crit 20 x3, 50-ft. range) can, as a standard action, launch a bolt of force at a target, effectively making a bull rush without risk of taking attacks of opportunity. The Strength of this force is equal to the intelligence of this pistol's maker. If the bull rush succeeds, the target takes 1d6/4 Builder Levels of force damage, +1d6 for every 5 by which the blast succeeds its check.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points increase the effective Strength score of the force blast.
    I think this could probably be made at will without any issues.

Freeze Ray [Cold]
    Cost: 22
    Uses: 10 charges/day
    Effect: This small device feels cold to the touch, as if it wants to freeze you solid. By consuming one charge, you can freeze a target solid as a swift action. This replicates a flesh to stone spell, as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level, except that creatures who are immune to cold damage are unaffected. Conversely, you can use 1 charge as a swift action to replicate the effects of stone to flesh, either to undo the effects of this device or to simply remove a petrification effect like normal.
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points you spend on this device, it holds 1 extra charge per day.
    ...flesh to stone? At level 8? As a swift action?

Also, am I only at F? You totally owe me two critiques for this.

Glyph Trap
    Save: Will or Fortitude negates; see text
    Effect: This machine is composed of a small device tipped with a glass lens, easily concealed. When triggered, the device send out a beam that either incapacitates or agonizes the target. This gadget acts as a death trap, except that it instead replicates symbol of pain or symbol of sleep. You must determine which effect the trap has when creating it.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the save DC by 1.
    See my comments on the death trap.

Graviton Grenade
    Cost: 42
    Type: Grenade
    Effect: This strange, metal egg is at least 5 times as heavy as its size and materials would suggest. When you throw it, people die in a horrible, crushing death. This grenade effects any and all creatures within a 10-foot radius, immediately subjecting them to the effects of the implosion spell.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the save DC of this machine by 1.
    With EEP, this comes online at level 12, and semi-replicates a ninth level spell - with a rapidly scaling save DC. Seems too strong.

Greater Powersuit
    Effect: This mighty suit of +1 full plate armor looks to be far larger than its intended occupant, and imbues the wearer with greater strength at the cost of agility. While wearing this suit, you are treated as two sizes larger than normal. Your Strength increases by 4, your Dexterity reduces by 4, and you gain a -2 to attack and AC due to your new size. This armor must be made for a specific size, and will not function for larger or smaller sizes.
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points, you receive a +1 circumstance bonus to attack rolls and a +1 increase to the enhancement bonus of this armor.
    ...no. Size increases are difficult to find - giving someone two bonus size categories at level five is just ridiculous.

Hard-Light Projector [Light]
    Save: Will (disbelief); see text
    Effect: This small rod is composed of small pieces of electronics wrapped around a slender piece of metal. It is topped with a pair of polished stereoscopic lenses, with a glowing gem between them. This gem emits light equal to that of a torch. This gadget can be used as a swift action to replicate the effects of a shades spell, except that it does not have a shadow component. This device will function 3 times/day.
    Point Effect: Using 10 extra points makes the conjurations replicated by the magic of this device 90% real instead of only 80%.
    Level 13, ninth level spell - replicating an eighth level spell at 80% real. I'm seeing a pattern here of underpricing high-level spells.

Holographic Disguise [Light]
    Cost: 5
    Type: Amulet
    Effect: This machine is little more than a wire-wrapped piece of quartz with a small, blinking light in its heart, hanging on a leather string. When you place it around your neck, you immediately take on a new appearance. This device replicates the effects of alter self on the wearer. The appearance must be determined when the device is built.
    Point Effect: For every 3 points you spend, the wearer gains 1 social skill trick (to be chosen at the time of building) while wearing this gadget.
    I think you mean disguise self, in which case this is proooobably fine.

Holotron [Light]
    Save: Will (disbelief)
    Effect: This machine sits short and squat on the ground. It glows and hums slightly when activated, creating a stunningly lifelike image. When placed on the ground and activated (a full-round action), this device generates a holographic image as per the major image spell, as cast by a Wizard of your level. This machine can function up to 1 time per day for every 4 Builder Levels.
    Point Effect: For every extra point, increase the save DC of this device by 1.
    ...major image at level 4? You just want to drive all the wizards out of business.

Hypno Hat [Mind-Affecting]
    Type: Hat
    Effect: This hat looks rather silly, just a ratty old turban with a small disk painted with a swirling pattern. When you spin the disk, you begin to momentarily lose yourself. This device can replicate the effects of a hypnotism spell as a Wizard of your level once per day per 4 Builder Levels.
    Point Effect: Each extra point either increases the duration of the effect by 1 round, or increase the save DC by 1. You can mix these bonus as you please.
    Seems reasonable.

Hypnotic Field Enhancer
    Effect: This little ball of circuits and wires, hanging from a small metal chain, heats up when the wearer focuses intently on a thought. When the wearer uses an effect that fascinates a certain number of HD of creatures, she can instead fascinate 125% as many.
    Point Effect: For every extra point you spend, the amount of HD that can be fascinated increases by 5 percentage points.
    A somewhat roundabout thing, but... I guess it's okay? Seems hard to balance.

Illumination Matrix [Extraordinary]
    Effect: These goggles resemble large glasses, with green-tinted glass that glimmers like a cat's eyes. These goggles, when worn, grant low-light vision.
    Point Effect: If you spend 5 extra points, this item grants Darkvision 15, or extends existing Darkvision by the same amount. If you spend 10 extra points, this increases to Darkvision 30.
    Sure.

Improved Auto-doc
    Cost: 43
    Effect: This machine is covered in all manner of bizarre and advanced surgical equipment. It resembles he Auto-Doc, but when you see it at work, you know that it is far more advanced. This device can replicate the effects of a regenerate spell on its wearer, as cast by a Cleric of your Builder Level, as a swift action. You can attach the Auto-doc to this gadget and treat them a s a single device. This does not return any gadget points, but it allows you to use both their effects simultaneously.
    Point Effect: Each extra point grants the device a +1 cumulative competence bonus to caster level for the purposes of the regenerate effect.
    Ah, now this is more like it healing-wise... except that it's both too cheap and too expensive. In fact, I think that's going in as my third overarching issue - I'll discuss that at the end. Besides the overarching issue it seems alright.

Instant Door
    Cost: 25
    Uses: 5/day
    Effect: This device resembles an oversized iron key, with a piece of quartz set in the end, and a row of 5 tiny lights dotting the shaft. When you point it at a flat surface, you can create a phase door as a Wizard of your Builder Level 5 times per day. You can make this door visible and usable to anyone you choose by giving them a preset password. When they speak the password near the door, it becomes publically visible and usable by anyone for 1 use.
    Point Effect: If you spend 10 extra points on this gadget, it becomes a permanent object, usable any number of times, but unmovable unless completely dismantled. It also acquires the [Trap] descriptor,
    Mmhm.

Intellect Device
    Type: Headband or collar
    Save: Will negates (harmless)
    Effect: This collar has dozens of complex widgets studding it. When placed around an animal's head or neck, this device replicates the effects of an awaken spell on its wearer. The creature will still have the same attitudes it had before becoming sentient.
    Point Effect: If you spend at least 5 extra points, the creature also gains the capacity to speak, knowing one language the builder knows. Each additional point teaches it a new language out of those that the builder knows.
    A curious device, but given the limited duration of 'until I need those points' it seems fine.

Jetpack [Force]
    Effect: This strange device, when used, generates a This device allows you to replicate the effects of overland flight. You may replicate these effects for a total amount of time up to the duration appropriate for a Wizard of your Builder Level, but it doesn't need to be consecutive. Once you have expended the full amount of time for your level, the Jetpack ceases to function for 24 hours, after which it will be fully charged.
    Point Effect: Each extra point reduces the recharge time by 1 hour.
    You had to do it, didn't you? Typo is struck through. Also, that point effect will struggle to do anything of use - even at BL 20, it's still 14 hours of recharge.

Jump Jet [Force]
    Cost: 8
    Uses: 1/day per BL
    Effect: It resembles a Jetpack, but seems much more compact. It's unlikely that it could sustain true flight. Once per day per Builder Level, you can leap a total vertical and horizontal distance of 60 feet as a move action. Doing so in combat provokes attacks of opportunity.
    Point Effect: For every 2 additional points spent on this gadget, you receive a Dodge bonus to AC against Attacks of Opportunity while moving.
    Seems alright, I suppose. How much of a dodge bonus?

Lesser Powersuit
    Cost: 4
    Effect: This suit of +1 Half-Plate armor is noticeably larger than normal, and closer inspection of the inside shows some sort of frame. The wearer of this armor is effectively 1 size greater than normal, as per enlarge person, except that your Strength only increases by 1, your Dexterity only reduces by 1, and you receive no size penalties to AC or Attack. This device must be built for a specific size, and will not function for creatures larger or smaller than intended.
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points, you receive a +1 circumstance bonus to Dexterity.
    Permanent enlarge person. At level 1. You will be everybody's friend except the DM. I would seriously consider dipping this just for this gadget on an otherwise pure fighter-type.

Magic De-Binder
    Effect: This wand is warm to the touch, and spellcasters and other magic-users feel “tingly” when they touch it. This wand can replicate dispel magic, as a Wizard of your Builder Level once per day per 4 Builder Levels.
    Point Effect: Each extra point grants a cumulative +1 competence bonus on caster level checks made to dispel effects with this item.
    Mmmhm.

Magic Fizzler
    Cost: 35
    Effect: This machine appears to be just a simple black box with a bright red button. After this device has been set down and activated, it sends a brief flash of light, and then remains inert for 1 round. After that round, the box, and a 60-foot sphere around it, are enveloped in a field of wild magic.
    Point Effect: If you use 10 points, you can designate that any creature affected by wild magic may roll twice for their results and choose which result they receive within the wild magic zone.
    Ummm. Seems expensive, given that you must set it down and activate it... but how long does the field last?

Minor Thaumic Capacitor
    Effect: This small device looks like it would be attached to the hilt or pommel of a weapon. While attached to a weapon, this gadget grants it a +1 enhancement bonus.
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points, the hardness of the attached weapon increases by 5.
    The point effect is pretty minimal. This will fall out of fashion quickly, but is pretty nice at level 1 - this is the sort of effect I expected of this class going in.

Missile Focus
    Effect: This rather close-fitting choker has a red gem set in its center. When you cast a spell that fires multiple projectiles, the gem turns to the same color as those projectiles and the looses extras. Any spell which launches multiple projectiles (e.g. magic missile) that is cast by the wearer of this gadget launches 1 extra projectile per 3 Builder Levels.
    Point Effect: Every 4 extra points grants a +1 cumulative insight bonus on damage to each projectile from projectile spells.
    Hmmm. Doesn't seem like enough of a boost to really be worth it in most cases.

Halfway through the alphabet. I hate you.

Neural Scrambler [Mind-Affecting]
    Effect: This rod, a plain stick of ivory, when touched to a target's head, drives them mad. This replicates insanity as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: For each extra point, the save DC increases by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Null Field Generator
    Uses: Single Use
    Effect: This trap feels cold to the touch, and it actually hurts for spellcasters and other magic users to hold it for too long. When this trap is activated, it replicates either an antimagic field or soulbanned zone (from Magic of Incarnum), which is chosen at trap creation, as cast by a Wizard of the maker's Builder Level. This effect is centered either on the triggerer of the trap, or where the trap was triggered.
    Point Effect: Every 3 extra points used on this device doubles the size of the effect area, up to a maximum of 80 feet
    Mmmhm.

Oil Slick Boots/Gloves [Extraordinary]
    Cost: 2
    Type: Gloves or Boots; see text
    Effect: This device either takes the form of some very oily-looking gloves, or a pair of boots with small containers built into the soles. If this gadget is built as gloves, you can replicate the portion of the grease spell that allows you to imbue the effect on an object, while if it is built as boots, you can only replicate the portion of the spell that creates a ground-bound oil slick. Either way, you can use this as a Wizard of your Builder Level once per day per 4 builder levels.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the save DC of the effect by 1, as well as increasing the Balance DC vs. the oil slick effect by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Overclocker
    Effect: This rather gnarly-looking electronic component it intended to be attached to certain magic items. It allows you to increase the effectiveness of those items, at the cost of their durability. This gadget can be attached to any item with charges or limited (but not per-day) uses, and other gadgets with limited uses, limited charges, or charges or uses per day. You can use any Metamagic feat you possess with spells cast or replicated by this item, but doing so expends extra uses or charges equal to the number of levels this increases the spell by (minimum 1).
    Point Effect: For every 3 extra points you use to make this gadget, reduce the number of extra charges used for metamagic by 1 (minimum 1).
    Seems almost too weak for its cost, except that the point effect is very strong.

Perfect Pick [Extraordinary]
    Cost: 6
    Effect: These masterwork thieves' tools are so astoundingly well-built that they can facilitate very rapid disabling of locks and devices, allowing the user to take 10 on any Open Lock or Disable Device check, regardless of circumstances, as a full-round action, once per day. Due to its fine-tunedness, any time where its user fails a check with them by more than 5, they revert to being normal thieves' tools until repaired, returning its Engineering Point cost to their creator.
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra point spent on this gadget, the user receives a +1 competence bonus to Open Lock and Disable Device checks.
    Sure.

Persistent Hologram [Light][Trap]
    Effect: This small device consists of a small electronic device with a hemispherical glass lens on top of it, sitting on a tripod. This machine replicates the effects of a permanent image spell, as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: None
    Mmmhm.

Planar Gate [Trap]
    Cost: 40
    Uses: Continual
    Effect: This device takes the form of a doorway intended for a Medium-sized creature to enter comfortably. Upon entering, you find yourself in another plane. This gadget replicates the planar travel effect of a gate spell continuously. This gate is always active, save for if it is dispelled, and can be entered from either the plane of origin or the destination plane, allowing travel between the two. Do note that this can be very dangerous, especially the hazardous planes such as the plane of Negative Energy!!
    Point Effect: For every 2 extra points, the portal's size increases by 1 category, to a maximum of Collossal.
    Mmmhm.

Portal Gun
    Cost: 19
    Uses: 3/day; see text
    Effect: This device can be used to set up a pair of portals. They can be any distance apart, so long as they are on the same plane. Travel between them is instantaneous, and momentum is conserved upon entry and exit. The portals can only be created on a smooth, hard, flat surface such as worked stone. Each pair of portals consumes 1 daily use of this device, which can be used three times per day. Each new pair of portals destroys the old pair.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used on this item grants it an additional daily use.
    ...of course. Compare this effect to ring gates - it's probably too strong. Not to mention headache-inducing. Also, specify how large the portals are.

Power Fist
    Type: Gauntlets
    Effect: These gauntlets are much larger than would normally make sense, but when you put them on, they feel natural. They don't seem so light to those you punch. The wearer of these gauntlets has their Unarmed Strike improved so that it does damage as if he were two sizes larger, stacking with other such effects. This does not extend to other natural weapons, such as claw attacks. This gadget must be built for a specific size, and will not function for larger or smaller creatures. This device does not grant Improved Unarmed Strike.
    Point Effect: For every 3 extra points spent on this gadget, you receive a +1 circumstance bonus to unarmed attack and damage rolls.
    Sure.

Power Servos
    Type: Gauntlets
    Effect: These gauntlets contain a set of powerful motors designed to amplify the wearer's strength. The wearer of these gauntlets can replicate the effects of bull's strength once per day per 4 Builder Levels, as a Wizard of the builder's BL.
    See my comments on the dexterity equivalent.

Precognition Module
    Cost: 41
    Type: Helmet
    Uses: 2/day
    Effect: This helmet, covered in electronics and small quartz crystals, can grant its wearer occasional glimpses into the future. 2 times per day, you can replicate the effects of a foresight spell as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Every 3 extra points increases the bonuses to AC and Reflex by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Rebreather [Extraordinary]
    Type: Mask
    Effect: This device allows you to breathe underwater for 2 hours per day per Builder Level (Maximum 24).
    Sure.

Repair Machine
    Effect: This small widget has various miniature craftsman's tools, and is very handy for fixing and building things. These tools are treated as Masterwork crafting tools, except that they grant a bonus on craft checks equal to 1/4 the maker's Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points increases the granted bonus by +1.
    Sure.

Retributive Field [Force]
    Uses: Passive; see text
    Effect: This Masterwork leather armor has a few circuits and devices placed on it surface. When you wear it, it takes on an almost metallic sheen. This device grants the wearer DR 5/-, and damages any who attack the wearer in melee, dealing 1d6 + 1/2 Builder Level force damage (maximum +10) to each attacker per melee attack. After the DR from this gadget has prevented a total of 10 damage per Builder Level, the magical qualities of this armor cease to function for 24 hours.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used for this Gadget increases the amount of damage it can absorb before ceasing to function by 5
    Sure.

Scanalyzer
    Effect: This pair of goggles looks perfectly normal, but when you put them on, the lenses light up, overlaying a helpful display over your field of vision. The wearer of these goggles can replicate the effects of owl's wisdom once per day per 4 Builder Levels, as a Wizard of the builder's BL.
    ...a helpful display that improves clerical spellcasting and will saves. Sure, why not.

Sonic Disruptor [Sonic]
    Effect: This rod is thicker than most, with a strange membrane at each end. When you press the button on the side (a swift action), it begins wailing and screeching, drowning out speech, rendering language-dependent abilities useless, and disrupting spells. Any spell cast within 120 feet of the active gadget requires a DC 30 Concentration Check or it is immediately wasted. This effect lasts for 1 minute, but can be ended by the user at any time as a free action.
    Point Effect: Every extra point increases the Concentration DC by 1.
    I'm not in general a fan of 'skill check or suck', whether it's for fighters or casters. I'd remove this one altogether.

Soul Puller
    Cost: 40
    Effect: This Huge machine consists of a ring of copper coils, standing on end, with metallic orbs on their ends, arounf a table with leather restraints. Activating the machine burns out the wiring, and has a 50% chance of raising a dead creature placed in the center, provided it can be raised, as if by a raise dead spell as cast by a Cleric of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points used for this gadget increases the chance of raising the target by 5 percentage points.
    ...ouch. That would hurt. Also, this is too weak for its cost when compared with other things of equivalent costs - but see my overarching concerns below.

Spell Refelector
    Effect: This rod is silvery and mirror-like. When you press the button on the side, a mirrored field of energy surrounds you, replicating the effects of a spell turning spell as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level. You may use this gadget a number of times per day equal to 1/4 your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points used to make this gadget increases the number of spell levels this effect can turn by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Stunning Trap [Trap]
    Cost: 27
    Save: Will Negates
    Effect: As a death trap, except that it replicates a symbol of stunning as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point used on this gadget increases either the DCs to find and disable the trap or the save DC by 1. You can mix these bonuses as you please.
    Mmmhm.

Super Servo
    Cost: 23
    Type: Torso
    Effect: This tight-fitting bodysuit has a metal skeleton with large motors at the joints. Once per day, you can use this gadget to replicate the statistical effects of a transformation spell.
    Point Effect: Every 5 extra points used on this device increase the Dexterity and Strength bonuses by 1.
    Clarify what's meant by a transformation spell.

Superior Fire Trap [Trap]
    Saves: Reflex partial; see text
    Effect: This small trap consists of a tripwire or pressure plate and a small, rod-shaped object. When activated, this trap launches a small bead of energy at the triggerer of the trap, which will explode as a delayed blast fireball as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level. You can choose the delay set on the blast when making the trap, but once set, it can't be changed.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the save DC of this effect by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Superior Magic De-Binder
    Cost: 23
    Effect: This machine resembles a magic de-binder, but is larger, and actually stings for magic-users to hold. This device functions as a magic de-binder, except that it replicates the effects of greater dispel magic.
    Point Effect: Each extra point grants a cumulative +1 competence bonus on caster level checks made to dispel effects with this item.
    Mmmhm.

Taser
    Effect: This rod has two small metal prongs at the end. When you press the button and touch an opponent with the pronged end, it often paralyzes them. This gadget replicates the effects of a hold person spell, except that the effect requires a Fortitude save and is not mind-affecting.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the save DC of this effect by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Temporal Freeze Device
    Type: Staff
    Uses: 2 times/day
    Effect: This staff, made of a plain shaft of wood and topped with complicated electronics, can be used to replicate the effects of a time stop spell as cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level twice per day.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points increases the duration from the user's perspective by 1 round.
    Mmmhm.

Torch and Wire [Trap]
    Save: Reflex half
    Effect: This deceptively simple-looking trap replicates the effect of a fire trap spell, as cast by a Druid of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the save DC of this device by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Translation Matrix
    Uses: BL minutes/day
    Effect: You can reproduce the effects of a tongues spell as cast by a Wizard of your level for up to 20 minutes per day. This time needn't be consecutive, and can be split up however you choose.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points used on this device grant a cumulative +1 insight bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks for conversational uses.
    Mmmhm.

Ultimate Prison [Trap]
    Effect: This trap replicates the effects of either a maze spell or the trigger object version of trap the soul on its tripper, chosen at the time of creating the trap.
    Point Effect: Each extra point increases the DC to find and disarm this trap by 1.
    Mmmhm.

Wall-Climbing Gloves
    Effect: These leather gloves are covered in fine hairs that give it the appearance of black velvet. The wearer of these gloves receive a climb speed equal to 1/2 their base speed, and receive a +5 circumstance bonus on all checks and saves to keep hold of an object.
    Point Effect: Every 2 extra points increases the climb speed granted by these gloves by 5 feet.
    Mmmhm.

Wide-Range Hologram [Light]
    Type: Staff
    Uses: 100 Charges/day
    Effect: You can replicate the effects of hallucinatory terrain (10 charges/use) and illusory wall (1 charge/use) using this device. Each effect is treated as if cast by a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Point Effect: Each extra point grants either 10 extra daily charges, or increases the save DC for its effects by 1. You can mix these bonuses as you please.
    Mmmhm.

Zero-Point Cage [Force][Trap]
    Cost: 30
    Save: Will special; see text
    Effect: The triggerer of this trap is immediately encased in the windowless cell version of the forcecage spell. Additionally, they must make a Will save or become comatose until they are released.
    Point Effect: For each extra point, the duration of the effect increases by 1 hour.
    Mmmhm.

Zero-Point Device [Force]
    Save: Reflex negates (object)
    Effect: These gloves each have a polished lens in their palms. These lenses have no hardness and 1 hit point. When both lenses are broken, the device ceases to function. These gloves allow the wearer to replicate a telekinetic sphere once per day as a Wizard of your Builder Level.
    Mmmhm.

Okay. Overarching concerns, which are threefold. I apologize in advance if any of this is incoherent, but it's getting kinda late here.

First, too many of these devices are rather niche. This makes the class extremely dependant on good intel. If there were a lot of non-niche items this would be fine, but as it is it makes it too easy to render this class useless or hyperpowerful by accident.

Second, the limitations on charges per day is completely obviated by the fact that you can cannibalize and reassemble a device in a matter of minutes. This needs addressing.

Finally, your points costs are wonky. This class gets access to ninth-level spells as early as thirteenth level, but at that point it costs your entire EP reserve to use one. This sort of specialization - done on the fly, too - is not really desirable, as (for example) a single casting of shades can wipe out an encounter at that level. However, by the time you get to a level where such effects are appropriate it's still making up a significant chunk of your EP - two ninth-equivalent items eat your entire reserve at 20th level. I suggest either steepening the EP curve (and adjusting costs to match) or simply putting a reasonable cap on EP that can be spent on a single gadget.

If you can fix those three issues, I think this could be a reasonable (if extremely powerful) class. As it is, it's honestly brokenly powerful.
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2013-02-13 at 05:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Okay. Overarching concerns, which are threefold. I apologize in advance if any of this is incoherent, but it's getting kinda late here.

First, too many of these devices are rather niche. This makes the class extremely dependant on good intel. If there were a lot of non-niche items this would be fine, but as it is it makes it too easy to render this class useless or hyperpowerful by accident.
    Intended. It was designed to be a very "preparation-heavy" class. It's good to have a scout in the party.

Second, the limitations on charges per day is completely obviated by the fact that you can cannibalize and reassemble a device in a matter of minutes. This needs addressing.
    Addressed in the end of the paragraph as of an edit a few minutes ago. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Finally, your points costs are wonky. This class gets access to ninth-level spells as early as thirteenth level, but at that point it costs your entire EP reserve to use one. This sort of specialization - done on the fly, too - is not really desirable, as (for example) a single casting of shades can wipe out an encounter at that level. However, by the time you get to a level where such effects are appropriate it's still making up a significant chunk of your EP - two ninth-equivalent items eat your entire reserve at 20th level. I suggest either steepening the EP curve (and adjusting costs to match) or simply putting a reasonable cap on EP that can be spent on a single gadget.

If you can fix those three issues, I think this could be a reasonable (if extremely powerful) class. As it is, it's honestly brokenly powerful.
    I've taken your advice and steepened the EP curve, while raising some of the prices. I've greatly increased the prices of and/or nerfed overpowered gadgets that you pointed out, and I added an EP cap per gadget of 2*(BL + Int Bonus). Assuming a fairly reasonable Int score, this can be up to about 50 at the most for a somewhat optimized AE. The most powerful gadgets can now really only be gotten by greater optimization.

Thank you for PEACHing, I will grant your first PEACH later today, and then the other upon your future request.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Intended. It was designed to be a very "preparation-heavy" class. It's good to have a scout in the party.
    Intended or not, I think it's undesirable. This class has the ability to prepare an appropriate response to an encounter given an hour of warning - if there were more gadgets available, this would be not merely T1 but T0.

Addressed in the end of the paragraph as of an edit a few minutes ago. Thanks for pointing that out.
    A reasonable fix, but doesn't do much about weekly uses.

I've taken your advice and steepened the EP curve, while raising some of the prices. I've greatly increased the prices of and/or nerfed overpowered gadgets that you pointed out, and I added an EP cap per gadget of 2*(BL + Int Bonus). Assuming a fairly reasonable Int score, this can be up to about 50 at the most for a somewhat optimized AE. The most powerful gadgets can now really only be gotten by greater optimization.
    You do realize that now you need an intelligence score of 28 to build the Hard-Light Projector pre-epic, and even more to actually invest points in it? That minor issue aside, the cap seems fine at a glance, but I think you may have mistaken my meaning. The gadgets that you start to build at tenth level (assume BL 10, Int 20 - maximum cost of 30) still make up a third of your point reserve at 20th. Over the course of ten levels, an ability should go from something you can pull off if you have to to something you can throw out like it was nothing, and at the moment it doesn't really do that.

Thank you for PEACHing, I will grant your first PEACH later today, and then the other upon your future request.
    's okay. I was mostly joking about the two.
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2013-02-13 at 01:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

A reasonable fix, but doesn't do much about weekly uses.
    I removed weekly uses.

[/quote]
    You do realize that now you need an intelligence score of 28 to build the Hard-Light Projector pre-epic, and even more to actually invest points in it? That minor issue aside, the cap seems fine at a glance, but I think you may have mistaken my meaning. The gadgets that you start to build at tenth level (assume BL 10, Int 20 - maximum cost of 30) still make up a third of your point reserve at 20th. Over the course of ten levels, an ability should go from something you can pull off if you have to to something you can throw out like it was nothing, and at the moment it doesn't really do that.[/QUOTE]

Raised Point Budgets, increased the maximum EP value. Tell me if you think it needs to be changed more.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

I'm up to 18 of 78 (!) or so planned phenomena posted for the Astronomer.

I need to include some kind of summary, and I wanted some input on what would be most intuitive. The summary will include phenomena names and 1-line descriptions; the other information I'm considering including is:

(a) superior conjunction
    (b) inferior conjunctions
    (c) # of inferior conjunctions (analogous to spell level)
    (d) conjunctions removed
    (e) conjunctions added
    (f) all of the above
    (g) some of the above
    (h) none of the above

Thoughts? If I include at least 2 of the above, it'll probably be a table, otherwise a list.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

You probably want to do at least c) # of inferior conjunctions (analogous to spell level).

Also, starting to get some meat on my class. Have about 1/3 of the Path of Horror done. Main thing I'd like help with is some of the names: most of the path names and Adventurer Augmentations are essentially placeholds, as I know they need names but couldn't really think of better ones.

Edit: and does anyone know of a good, free method to make flow charts. I think it might be useful to have the Augmentations be in one, but, well, it's going to take a long time using paint or something similar.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2013-02-15 at 10:44 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm going to have to bow out, more's the pity. I kind of lost the thread of this nearly a week ago, and I don't really have the endurance for a project like this in any event. Best of luck, all, and may the best class win.

14. - Top - End - #194

I think I'm going to have to bow out, more's the pity. I kind of lost the thread of this nearly a week ago, and I don't really have the endurance for a project like this in any event. Best of luck, all, and may the best class win.
    Too bad. Try to come back for the next contest rather than duck out of GitP for months, eh?
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Lemme see, submissions are due by... March 15th.

...so should I come back next month?
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Too bad. Try to come back for the next contest rather than duck out of GitP for months, eh?
    Never!

*disappear*

17. - Top - End - #197

Welp! It seems I'm done writing phenomena until the contest is over, since I maxed out the character count on that post... :)

So, Astronomer is officially (for now) done!

gitp extended sig

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Welp! It seems I'm done writing phenomena until the contest is over, since I maxed out the character count on that post... :)

So, Astronomer is officially (for now) done!
    You could always make another post and just link to it in your previous one if you want more space.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #199

You could always make another post and just link to it in your previous one if you want more space.
    Yes, BUT! they wouldn't be together. Which would cause intense sadness.

Also I don't have too many more. So it's probably not worth it.

gitp extended sig

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Almost finished with the Saint of Zarus fine-tuning some aspects, though its a possibility I might need some help with the whole 'stolen racial trait' abilities.
    High Priest of the Fellowship of Xykon's Blade.
    Member of below-average standing in the Class-Maker Guild.
    Thanks to linklele for my Avatar.

21. - Top - End - #201

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Lemme see, submissions are due by... March 15th.

...so should I come back next month?
    I say do it if you want to and have the time. You're pretty speedy at home brewing, Morph, so I'd think time would be less of a restriction than ideas or wanting to.

Speaking of next month/Base Class Contest, are we doing ideas for the next one yet? Have an idea that may or may not be interesting.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

My last midterm is over, and now I want to do something again...

... no one appears to have done robots yet. I think that's worth a shot.

23. - Top - End - #203

Only five entries to vote for this time. We actually have more disqualified entries than valid ones.

Anyone want to see a particular theme for the next one?
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #204

I know Bozwevial had been working like crazy on an entry, and then he couldn't quite finish in time. He was quite discouraged. :(

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    It looks like Heroes of Note, Something Bad Luck, Slack and Hash, SCIENCE and MADNESS have all been seconded so far.

From the chart in the old thread, Inner Planes, Time, and Alternate Magic all had two votes each.

gitp extended sig

25. - Top - End - #205

I know Bozwevial had been working like crazy on an entry, and then he couldn't quite finish in time. He was quite discouraged. :(
    It happens, man. I feel that.

{table=head]Theme|Votes
    Heroes of Note|1
    Something Bad Luck|1
    Slack and Hash (food)|0
    Madness|0
    Inner Planes|0
    Time|1
    Alternate Magic|1
    NPCs|2[/table]
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-03-17 at 04:22 PM.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #206

RedWizardGuy

Anyone want to see a particular theme for the next one?
    I think having an NPC class theme would be interesting. Not like the ones that WoTC made, more like homebrew ones that would suit an NPC more than a PC.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

I say go for the hack and slash one (unless I'm misreading that...)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Actually that suggestion was "Slack and Hash", based around food.

gitp extended sig

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Actually that suggestion was "Slack and Hash", based around food.
    Clarified in the table. Are you still voting for it?
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I'll put in a vote for Time. I've been wanting to create a Time Knight class...
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide