Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 85 of 85
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    I don't see why it shouldn't work stereotypically.

    When you use wood to build a house, it's still wood, you haven't made it something "unnatural". Same thing with using plant fibers to make clothes, they're still natural fibers, just in a different form. Barring major chemical alterations (something stereo elves aren't known for), it's only a close-minded elf who wouldn't wear a cotton shirt because it's "unnatural", and that seems out of character with the whole "expanded mind hippie" thing.

    When you pull a flower out of the ground it's still a flower, and as long as they agree with that, most manufacturing should be morally ok.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jade Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpamandEggs View Post
    When you pull a flower out of the ground it's still a flower, and as long as they agree with that, most manufacturing should be morally ok.
    But then it's a dead flower. A flower corpse.

    I think it's functioning insanity to follow that mindset, but would you say there's nothing wrong with killing someone because it's still a human?

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Viking Bar Fight
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    But then it's a dead flower. A flower corpse.

    I think it's functioning insanity to follow that mindset, but would you say there's nothing wrong with killing someone because it's still a human?
    Not for a while and then only if you don't do anything with it.

    Cotton fluff is something that can be harvested without even preventing the seeds from going on to make more cotton plants, so it's probably not a very good example if they're willing to make leather out of roadkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Woo, a lot to work with again. I'm glad this is shaping up to be an interesting topic.

    Alright, so: One thing I'd like to reiterate is the racial nature of this culture. While I continue to use the term "elves" and encourage everyone to do so, I'd like to mention that my primary interest is designing a culture. While most members are indeed elves, there are members of every race. For that reason, I'd like to avoid solutions reliant on the physiology of elves. It's also worth noting that this culture by no means speaks for all elves. While the diaspora can trace its origins to this culture (or a past version of it, quite probably with different standards) and homeland, most elves are part of other civilizations.

    One physiological thing that seemed cool was poisonous elves, to discourage predators. Could this conceivably be achieved solely through diet and whatnot, without relying on many years of evolution, so that it could apply to non elf members of these groups?

    The poison elves would work with my only current conception of defense: living in an inhospitable area devoid of riches. While forests and people themselves have value, the relative strength and hostility of the creatures in the environment, combine with the low populations all around, might do something to discourage slaving adventures.

    Another thing is the issue of nature. To clarify, these dudes don't operate, ethically, based on reverence to nature. Rather, they just believe it's wrong to hurt living things for personal gain: it's not wrong to cut a tree because the tree is natural, it's wrong to cut a tree because it is living, cutting hurts it, and the desire for crafts or lodging is not considered a justifiable reason to cut a tree. So if the elves are able (morally) to defend themselves against humanoids (which I think most ought to be, at least), then they can defend themselves against any other living threats.

    Blightedmarsh has more articulately expressed my concern with the concept of dependent livestock. While a discrete instance of acquiring goods might not harm certain types of livestock, the process of domestication does.

    Serpentine's counterpoint, in my mind, stands. No reason not to make use of liberated livestock. Of course, the breeding of such creatures wouldn't be encouraged. Still, it could easily lead to semi-domestic populations.

    So I feel like we've managed to cook up relatively abundant ways of keeping our elves fed and more or less clothed. Two major issues still bother me:

    -Construction and shelter. I suppose they could use their limited abilities to generate textiles and leather to create tents and the like, but I feel like that industry, as well as lumber, is being stretched pretty thin already. The idea of shaping plants to create lodgings might have some merit. How much harm would that do?

    -Defense. As has been mentioned, their general lack of industry and low numbers puts them at a natural disadvantage in the area of warfare with other humanoids. For a while I was considering using a divine defense: the nature gods are on their side! The problem is that it's inconsistent with the rest of the setting. The nature god is very into the strong stomping on the weak, and the gods in general have a neutral, hands off approach to mortal affairs.

    The only other defense is home turf advantage. Fighting a guerrilla battle in a hostile environment can do a lot to discourage attackers, particularly when the elves don't have much worthwhile to take.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Well one idea for food and supplys (while magical to some degree) is to simply stop assuming an Earth-like eco-system. Invent a number of odd plants and animals that the elves can use in some kind of symbiosis. E.g. gather the dead sticks from the forest ground and feed them to the Boiler-Toad or something. Digestion of wood will cause those toads to create heat and to secrete some substance from their skin that can be ingested as food-replacement. They'll just have to keep the Toads happy so they'll stay and not attack them. Granted that is being lazy and using magic to a degree but maybe you'll like it.

    Well as for the points in that last post:

    Construction/shelter: Leaves. Giant ones if need be. Maybe have some reptiles around so one can mek use of their shedded skin. Otherwise make the climate one where they don't need all that much shelter to begin with. Sometimes elves are depicted as building their homes around the trees so as to avoid cutting them down. Take that one step further (magically or not) and have them slightly alter the trees to create basic shelters for them. So long as they aren't carving up the trees or decreasing its functionality by giving it a new shape they are technically not harming nature, are they? Also: what about giant spider-webbing? That might be of some use if you can avoid getting eaten by spiders. And stealing a bit of webbing will hardly cause any real harm to the critter, will it?


    Defense: Who says they'll need any? What, other than space, do they have that's worth anything? From the way I see it this is supposed to be a settlement of idealists. people willing to barely exist under minimalistic circumstances to suit their idea of morals. Unless someone wants to chop down the trees or something do these people really have anything worth taking? I'm having an easier time imagining these elves as nomadic, following the herds inside the forest and living off of them as best as they can without hurting anything. A non-moving settlement might be outright impossible without magic o I'd say their first reaction to being threatened would likewise be to flee. They'd know the forest better than any outsider to there is one advantage. As for big predators: well you don't need to fight those off if you're clever about avoiding them. Aren't there birds that can safely fly into a crocodiles open mouth to pick out the remains from between their teeth and not get eaten because they're doing the predator a favour by cleaning them? Or hippos or whatever animal that was that had that kind of help. Rhinos? No idea but you get the gist of it I hope^^

    Again I can't see idealists having much of a chance against any kind of realistic threat. Likewise I can't see much of a reason for any intelligent lifeform to attack these people in the first place. No riches, no ressources. So unless you want wood or slaves what reason is there for any humanoid to attack them? Defensive needs would seem to be minimal. Just barely enough to survive against predators in the woods. And if they have ways to detect them in advance and avoid them they don't even need weapons for those.


    Again, you might want to consider making them nomadic. That way they don't need any major construction. Some manner of tent or sleeping bag ought to suffice. They can make that out of discarded fur, leaves or by shaving off their own hair if need be -_-^^ And they can keep picking berries this way as someone already pointed out.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Sodalite's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Two steps beyond Sense
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    I would add that, assuming they utilize flesh given willingly from a regenerating creature, I imagine that if they gave that creature great enough benefits in return, it would agree to defend them. Trolls, and other, stronger beings might defend the elves because the elves treat them like royalty, rather than monsters the way the other races do. It isn't quite the same as divine protection, but I think that the elves having a cadre of trolls on their side might at least discourage casual attacks on them.

    Simply an idea, of course.

    Also, swordsage'd by Gensuru, but I think this is still relevant.
    A gracious thanks to Bradakhan for the avatar, and Time Walk's card artist, Amy Weber.

    0 There was first nothingness. But nothingness roiled with possibility, as existence cannot be held by one fact, not even the empty fact.

    Last edited by Sodalite : Today at 12:00 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    toapat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post
    I would add that, assuming they utilize flesh given willingly from a regenerating creature, I imagine that if they gave that creature great enough benefits in return, it would agree to defend them. Trolls, and other, stronger beings might defend the elves because the elves treat them like royalty, rather than monsters the way the other races do. It isn't quite the same as divine protection, but I think that the elves having a cadre of trolls on their side might at least discourage casual attacks on them.

    Simply an idea, of course.

    Also, swordsage'd by Gensuru, but I think this is still relevant.
    and of course, the Tarrasque could have been donated by a neutral group for harvesting forever once the Alip has done it in


    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

    PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

    I use Red when I'm angry, I use blue when I'm excited.
    Drow avatar @ myself

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    UserShadow7989's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Going by the idea of fantasy foliage, you could have the areas they tend to dwell in populated with trees that often 'shed' large leaves and bark pieces and the like.

    The former could be used in construction, while the latter could (depending on the texture, durability, etc of it) be used to make armor or even weapons for self defense, or at least be useful for making controlled fire to repel predators at night/cook food.

    It might even justify shelter in and of itself- what about a tree that has massive roots that group upwards and the down, forming a sort of roof if you place some stuff on it to fill the gaps, or a massive and thick series of branches that make it act almost like an umbrella?

    Natural defenses could also work in a different way- have the region be populated by giant animals, for example. The larger a creature is, generally, the more energy it takes to move or do anything, so the area might have a few threateningly large animals that are terrifying in appearance but actually herbivores (hunting is exhaustive, but a tree can't run away, so evolution might have seen them shrink compared to ancestors and switch to less speedy prey) and not very active besides.

    That gives me an idea- things that are scary enough to chase off most people, who probably wouldn't stick around long enough to find out they're not very dangerous.

    The elves could defend themselves in that vein by using illusions (magical or otherwise) or putting on a 'dangerous savages' act that send aggressors (be they people or animals) running for the hills and make them look far more threatening than they are. Just because THEY know they're under equipped and outnumbered doesn't mean other people do, and it's a way to end a potential fight without bloodshed- important since their numbers would be fairly low at any given time.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

    Homebrewer's signature.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    nedz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    The poison elves would work with my only current conception of defense: living in an inhospitable area devoid of riches. While forests and people themselves have value, the relative strength and hostility of the creatures in the environment, combine with the low populations all around, might do something to discourage slaving adventures.

    -Defense. As has been mentioned, their general lack of industry and low numbers puts them at a natural disadvantage in the area of warfare with other humanoids. For a while I was considering using a divine defense: the nature gods are on their side! The problem is that it's inconsistent with the rest of the setting. The nature god is very into the strong stomping on the weak, and the gods in general have a neutral, hands off approach to mortal affairs.

    The only other defense is home turf advantage. Fighting a guerrilla battle in a hostile environment can do a lot to discourage attackers, particularly when the elves don't have much worthwhile to take.
    Surely Poison will cause harm to living creatures should they eat you ?
    So you break your taboo after death.

    War might also cause harm to living creatures.
    p = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.


    Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

    Avatar by Caravaggio

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gensuru View Post
    Also: what about giant spider-webbing? That might be of some use if you can avoid getting eaten by spiders. And stealing a bit of webbing will hardly cause any real harm to the critter, will it?
    Arguably, yes it does; spider webs require fairly significant effort to maintain, and are the basic source of food for a given spider. Taking any substantial amount definitely requires extra work from the spider and could reasonably be considered harm.

    Aren't there birds that can safely fly into a crocodiles open mouth to pick out the remains from between their teeth and not get eaten because they're doing the predator a favour by cleaning them? Or hippos or whatever animal that was that had that kind of help. Rhinos? No idea but you get the gist of it I hope^^
    There are quite a number of similar creatures; some shrimps and fish, for example, as well as a number of species of birds. So that has lots of support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    But then it's a dead flower. A flower corpse.

    I think it's functioning insanity to follow that mindset, but would you say there's nothing wrong with killing someone because it's still a human?
    Well, that would be pretty messed up, but then again, if it's in a d&d world, there's a fully explored afterlife, so the argument could be made that the soul or "life force" just moves around, never really dying. It's not really realistic, but hey. Fantasy world. At least they wouldn't be some goth death cult that's done to death.

    if we followed your criticism and changed it to normal, though, they'd really be against the taking of life, technically. It's not about being "natural" or "unnatural", it's alive or dead. Those would just be the wrong words to justify them correcting the world around them because it's part of some "natural order". And they'd really have to hate forest fires then, huh? Taking life that was already the way nature intends it?

    Unless they explain that it's part of some "natural order", in which case i think it allows for sentient beings to murder eachother too, because, hey, we're all natural, just like a forest fire.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Serpentine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adrift in a sea of woe.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    -Construction and shelter. I suppose they could use their limited abilities to generate textiles and leather to create tents and the like, but I feel like that industry, as well as lumber, is being stretched pretty thin already. The idea of shaping plants to create lodgings might have some merit. How much harm would that do?
    Easy-peasy. Caves, driftwood, shed branches, logs, shed leaves, leather, textiles, hollow trees, shaped plants...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    -Defense. As has been mentioned, their general lack of industry and low numbers puts them at a natural disadvantage in the area of warfare with other humanoids. For a while I was considering using a divine defense: the nature gods are on their side! The problem is that it's inconsistent with the rest of the setting. The nature god is very into the strong stomping on the weak, and the gods in general have a neutral, hands off approach to mortal affairs.
    I mentioned in passing the possible use of chilis in defense - as long as just pain with no long term damage in self-defense is considered acceptable, they could get creative with substances such as that. Other possibilities are plants and magic and so on that can disrupt enemies without harming them. Sleeping spells, toadstool spores that cause hallucinations, paralysing poisons... There's a pretty good range of "harmless" methods to put down would-be aggressors. I think you could have particular fun with hallucinations: some sort of poison or spell that has no physical effect (except possibly paralysis or sleep, to avoid them running around and hurting themselves) but that gives them really, really nasty, terrifying dreams could serve not only to subdue an immediate threat, but to spread an aura of fear and superstition around the elves. Of course, the secret of the substance/spell would be a deeply close-held secret...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamandEggs View Post
    Well, that would be pretty messed up, but then again, if it's in a d&d world, there's a fully explored afterlife, so the argument could be made that the soul or "life force" just moves around, never really dying. It's not really realistic, but hey. Fantasy world. At least they wouldn't be some goth death cult that's done to death.

    if we followed your criticism and changed it to normal, though, they'd really be against the taking of life, technically. It's not about being "natural" or "unnatural", it's alive or dead. Those would just be the wrong words to justify them correcting the world around them because it's part of some "natural order". And they'd really have to hate forest fires then, huh? Taking life that was already the way nature intends it?

    Unless they explain that it's part of some "natural order", in which case i think it allows for sentient beings to murder eachother too, because, hey, we're all natural, just like a forest fire.
    I'm not sure that you've quite gotten the premise? As a recap: these elves are not concerned with natural vs. unnatural, and natural causes of death are not something that concerns them. The premise of their culture is that they do not willingly harm any living thing... and that's it.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-10-09 at 12:49 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordErebus12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oldhelwyn Wilds

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    most elves are not expressly vegetarians or vegans... this is something that might be so in smaller communities, but as a whole, i believe they simply view it like native american cultures do... take and use what you kill, take not in vain or in sport. use wisely, etc.

    elves are great farmers, druids work the native lands of the elves in wondrous ways. they might grow all their fruits and vegetables within their tree homes, using natural and magically warped trunks as planters, etc. or even grow everything within the windows and archways of their homes, free for all who pass to grab up a meal.

    depends on where and how you want them, but i dont like the concept of shy or territorial elves, i like them kind and generous.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2012-10-09 at 12:56 AM.
    Avatar by Gurgleflep

    Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

    Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

    Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show


    Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

    - - - IC - - - OOC - - -


    Extended Signature (90% complete)

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Frozen_Feet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Over here
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    It would be possible to be poisonous through diet, but it requires natural or acquired immunity while allowing the toxins to accumulate. So it is not given non-elven physiology would be able to repeat the trick. Some species might become immune without becoming poisonous, and others might die trying.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Inglenook's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    the crisper drawer

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    I haven't read through the thread at all, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but you could have your elves take a page out of real life cultures: have them cheat.

    In cultures with inconvenient and idiosyncratic rules, people almost always find work-arounds. Most Amish are forbidden from owning vehicles because they represent distance, and they "carry" people away from their families and communities. The intent of the law is "Cars are bad!" but loopholes let them ride in cars with others, or hire people to drive them around.

    Or Sabbath law for some groups. It forbids turning lights on or off on the Sabbath, so they use Shabbat clocks or Shabbat goys.

    Rules are made to be bent and twisted. Particularly if they're chaotic elves.

    THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Darkest Dorset (UK)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    As to defense...

    They live in a wet and tectonically very active region with fast growing forests and otherwise barren soil.

    Ports are destroyed by tidal waves, fortresses, towers and building are toppled by earthquakes. When farmers clear the land of trees the monsoons wash away their soils leaving their lands barren. Volcanically spawned forest fires destroy villages and communities.

    It is very hard to build any kind of material culture here, but it can be bountiful. It provides an abundance of obsidian and fallen timber, fire cleared forests are rich with berries and bushes. Lots of game and predators leave lots of carrion for the locals to forage but the wildlife has its own vicious scavengers that make making a kill a dicey prospect at best.

    The elves are the product of this harsh land.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Actually they can also eat leafy vegetables like some lettuce plants simply by pealing off the out leaves and eating them. They can also fashion these into clothing or use the animal and vegetable form the fauna and flora that dies naturally.

    Of course they could rely on goodberries and magically conjured food to survive.
    Current status: Busy at work, busy at home.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Toofey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Upper West Side
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    If they were all nature'y' and wanted to live in harmony with nature why would they live in such an unnatural way. the reality is that animals in nature eat one another, Fruits taste good so that you will eat them (and poop the seeds somewhere) If many herbivorous are not hunted their populations overwhelm their food supplies. They're currently finding that the reintroduction of wolves (which kill other animals) has had a number of unforeseen positive effects on the biosphere in Yellowstone right down to an increase in the water quality of the natural streams there.

    It doens't seem right that elves would totally remove themselves from the cycles of nature, which is exactly what you have them doing.

    Now setting all that aside, they could use magic, or eat Dew and Pollen (or even Moonbeams and songs, it's fantasy after all), and because of their nature be sustained by that.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    caden_varn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    With regards to gathering wood, if the elves are happy to harvest flesh from regenerating creatures, maybe they can do something similar with trees via the awaken spell. The elves promise to protect the trees from loggers, fire etc., and in return the trees provide an amount of wood for tools and weapons etc.

    As for why people may attack them, land is a good enough reason. If you have an expanding population, you need more land to put under the plough, or more wood for industry/building etc. That's not even considering valuable mineral deposits in the area.
    Given that the elves are basically very selective foragers, their population density is going to need to be very low, which makes them very vulnerable to attack or having their land taken.

    There are a couple of reasons I can see how they may survive - first, they live in an area with very low value for agriculture or hunting, so no one else wants it. This is going to mean that it is even more difficult for them to find enough resources to survive.

    A more practical solution may be to make these people an adjunct to a more normal society. These may be vegetarians, but still farm and cut wood etc, so they are a reasonably large and powerful group. They regard the elves as holy and protect them and their land fiercely.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Serpentine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adrift in a sea of woe.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Protection from a bigger, stronger civilisation might not be a bad idea, actually. They may be protected i return for something, but it could also just be superstition or religious reverance.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Jane_Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas, America
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    I do not know if this has been suggested, but an extremely easy fix to there food and clothing problems, make them a hybrid of the typical elf (quick, graceful, silent, deadly), with a bit of orcish influence (though hides and strong), and instead of making them require less/no sleep like normal elves, maybe make them require less food to sustain themselves?

    For example - Crocodiles can eat a single meal and can live off that for up to 3 months before starving to death.

    You could also make them a form of plant humanoid with a special subtype that removes op plant immunities (like warforged is a living construct), and they could gain food/water from soil, light, and moisture, in addition to being resilient, quick-healing and resistant to forest/jungle toxins and plant based poisons.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2012-10-10 at 07:13 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SW England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by The LOBster View Post
    Also, silk is produced from boiling silkworms alive in their coccoons, so... I don't think they'd be making silk.
    This is a spider silk cape. All craftselfship is of the highest quality.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    For example - Crocodiles can eat a single meal and can live off that for up to 3 months before starving to death..
    Though that is because they barely have any body heat, need the sun to warm up and mostly lie around motionlessly. I don't think anyone would want to play a character who had to sleep 20 hours every day and spend half of their awake time in the sun to avoid falling into torpor.
    Extended Brewer's signature

    Strange is the night where black stars rise,
    And strange moons circle through the skies,
    But stranger still is
    Lost Carcosa.


    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I want more mwa-ha-haaa and much less boo-hoo-hoo.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Spades View Post
    I mean, each elf could be a master swordsman by human standards, but in the end that won't matter because the humans can support a larger, better equipped population.
    Especially because these elves can't even make swords in the first place.

    With this strict cultural taboos they can't really support anything more than small families living in caves.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Viking Bar Fight
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves. How Do They Work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Though that is because they barely have any body heat, need the sun to warm up and mostly lie around motionlessly. I don't think anyone would want to play a character who had to sleep 20 hours every day and spend half of their awake time in the sun to avoid falling into torpor.
    Like a bizarro version of Vampire: The Masquerade...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •