Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [OoC] The Unexpecteds

Posting for rolls since I refuse to edit my post
    Autohypnosis: (1d20+4)[8]
    Knowledge (Psionics): (1d20+10)[21]

I now regret using these gloves so much

@my autohypno roll: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    @my Know (Psi) roll: ┬─┬ノ( ş _ şノ)
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-10 at 06:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

I try to make my worlds natural. If psionics exists, then those in power will know about it. And if they know about it, then they'll try to protect themselves from it. Especially if it could compromise tactics.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Egneil View Post
    I try to make my worlds natural. If psionics exists, then those in power will know about it. And if they know about it, then they'll try to protect themselves from it. Especially if it could compromise tactics.
    Tis alright I suppose... Hell, If it were me I would have booby trapped the box with a Wail of Banshee trap that repeats until the subject fails his save

Sort of my fault for not taking proper precautions in the form of dispel Psionics

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

That wouldn't work as well as you'd hope, because the problem was part of the psionic impression, which you needed for the object reading power. Detect psionics would have been better as you'd have known about the problem before hand. Which would have given you a +6 to your autohypnosis check. (+4 from a circumstance bonus and +2 from favored circumstances) However that would only protect you from the first point of damage. For anything more you would need a power like Schism or Mind Trap. Basically anything that affects your own mind to help protect it.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-10-10 at 07:20 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

So...anyone wanna help me with a little project to aid in my characterization of Thurod?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Finished Breeding Projects: Dratini, Squirtle, Ferroseeds, Gastly, Fennekin
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    So...anyone wanna help me with a little project to aid in my characterization of Thurod?
    Well that's sufficiently vague...

Maybe?
    I exist again! But I just keep myself too busy to partake in any games..

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    Well that's sufficiently vague...

Maybe?
    Well, see, I find it's easier to sink into a character's mindset if I have a theme song for them. Something which encompasses their personality into lyrics and melody, that I can listen to. However, despite my extensive musical library, I couldn't find anything I thought fit Thurod. Suggestions?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

BlackDragon

Ah. Well, unfortunately I won't be much help there. Almost any suggestions I come up with will be over a century old, and probably not in English. I do plenty of classical music, but I am woefully out-of-sync with the more popular genres. I like the theme music idea, though.

And I'll let you know if anything comes to mind. And in thinking about your character, I was just struck by his parallels to Buddy the Elf. ... Yeah, sorry about that one.

9. - Top - End - #69

Ah. Well, unfortunately I won't be much help there. Almost any suggestions I come up with will be over a century old, and probably not in English. I do plenty of classical music, but I am woefully out-of-sync with the more popular genres. I like the theme music idea, though.
    Classical is fine, if anything fits.

And I'll let you know if anything comes to mind. And in thinking about your character, I was just struck by his parallels to Buddy the Elf. ... Yeah, sorry about that one.
    "Thurod the Half-Orc, what's your favorite color?"
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanna know who here would be willing to accept a temporary Mind Link with me because I want to privately relay information to whoever is our party leader I know I can direct it towards all of us, however I'd really rather just spend one PP to talk to the boss

If we don't have a leader, I nominate ScrambledBrains as Captain of the Unexpecteds

I will totally take a level in Thrallherd if I can have Gravious be my Thrall... I like him as an NPC... still don't trust him though
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-12 at 12:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I wanna know who here would be willing to accept a temporary Mind Link with me because I want to privately relay information to whoever is our party leader I know I can direct it towards all of us, however I'd really rather just spend one PP to talk to the boss

If we don't have a leader, I nominate ScrambledBrains as Captain of the Unexpecteds
    I'm flattered, and I wouldn't mind, but let's see who else thinks I should.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-10-12 at 07:57 AM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    I'm flattered, and I wouldn't mind, but let's see who else thinks I should.
    I don't mind you being leader, I know Frandol shouldn't be, he's just not reponsible or reasonable, or obsevant enough I think.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

"I could embrace you forever, I Fight for you with blazing passion and a knife I stole from you —I dare not ask what you plot with it.
    Follow me, and I will protect you, we can laugh together and the pain will over soon.
    Just trust me, one of us has to!"
    —Vamber, The daring Martyr.

Ceika made my Vamber avatar - Thanks!!

I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

13. - Top - End - #73

BlackDragon

Thurod is a good choice for 'leader', as long as he doesn't try to be too controlling about it. Elestil expects to have some say, but he's already fond of the overgrown halfling. Most of the group seems rather strong-minded, too, so leadership will likely mean getting everyone to agree on things.

Don't take that as meaning I expected him to be a controlling leader, not at all. I'm agreeing with the group, just making sure we don't change our characters too much because we picked a leader OoC. I think everyone's willing to follow the group consensus, as long as their arguments are heard and respected.

14. - Top - End - #74

I'm agreeing with the group, just making sure we don't change our characters too much because we picked a leader OoC. I think everyone's willing to follow the group consensus, as long as their arguments are heard and respected.
    I'll drink to that!
    [Zahn used Energy Drink: Fatigue removed;-2 to concentration and patience checks]
    Though don't let this or the small debate on our route fool you, if Frandol strongly disagrees with something, he may never be convinced otherwise, he'll use stubbornness and point-repeating, he'll probably hand out his "dwarven word"(if he debates with a man who's met dwarves before), he probably won't even take an opposing argument into account!
    But once it's final he'll take the decision as-is, but he'll do so either smugly or reluctantly.

Arcanist: I forgot to mention, as for the "are we friends or not?" Thing earlier, though Frandol is not always a good friend, but he sees those he travels with as friends if they don't wrong him, he's not too keen on sharing before someone shares with him (if you call him out on that, he'll probably call it "taking turns sharing" or something, by the way. I'm saying this - for it may or may not have happened before.)

"I could embrace you forever, I Fight for you with blazing passion and a knife I stole from you —I dare not ask what you plot with it.
    Follow me, and I will protect you, we can laugh together and the pain will over soon.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I forgot to mention, as for the "are we friends or not?" Thing earlier, though Frandol is not always a good friend, but he sees those he travels with as friends if they don't wrong him, he's not too keen on sharing before someone shares with him (if you call him out on that, he'll probably call it "taking turns sharing" or something, by the way. I'm saying this - for it may or may not have happened before.)
    Heh, Issath has "self-esteem" issues, meaning he wants everyone to be his friends and yet no matter how many he has he'll always want more

You can be his friend, it's just that he'll be walking on egg shells the entire time... I based his character off a girl I knew in High school

So it's decided? Thurod is the leader? Good! Time for me to mindlink with him

16. - Top - End - #76

Heh, Issath has "self-esteem" issues, meaning he wants everyone to be his friends and yet no matter how many he has he'll always want more

You can be his friend, it's just that he'll be walking on egg shells the entire time...
    Sure, perhaps we've met before, then. Given you give the impression that you're just meeting everyone, perhaps we've crossed paths at some point? Maybe something happened...
    Frandol generally doesn't stick around to hear local gossip or a telltale's primer, Assuming he knows what a "Mind bender" was, he probably wouldn't understand it's distinction from magic-bearers, except for the fact that he cannot see it's aura(I'm guessing magic sensitive doesn't go that far?), if anything, Frandol might be more interested Issath's constant smiling at life over his powers. I'm arguing over two potential reasons ATM, so don't ask me why yet...

17. - Top - End - #77

I don't mind you being leader, I know Frandol shouldn't be, he's just not reponsible or reasonable, or obsevant enough I think.
    Thurod is a good choice for 'leader', as long as he doesn't try to be too controlling about it. Elestil expects to have some say, but he's already fond of the overgrown halfling. Most of the group seems rather strong-minded, too, so leadership will likely mean getting everyone to agree on things.

Don't take that as meaning I expected him to be a controlling leader, not at all. I'm agreeing with the group, just making sure we don't change our characters too much because we picked a leader OoC. I think everyone's willing to follow the group consensus, as long as their arguments are heard and respected.
    So it's decided? Thurod is the leader? Good! Time for me to mindlink with him
    Well...seeing as I've been elected, I will lead to the best of my ability. Don't worry about Thurod being controlling, he's more of democratic leader, though he does reserve the decision to make executive choices. ...Thanks though, guys.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, perhaps we've met before, then. Given you give the impression that you're just meeting everyone, perhaps we've crossed paths at some point? Maybe something happened...
    Frandol generally doesn't stick around to hear local gossip or a telltale's primer, Assuming he knows what a "Mind bender" was, he probably wouldn't understand it's distinction from magic-bearers, except for the fact that he cannot see it's aura(I'm guessing magic sensitive doesn't go that far?), if anything, Frandol might be more interested Issath's constant smiling at life over his powers. I'm arguing over two potential reasons ATM, so don't ask me why yet...
    Meeting earlier? Sure Since Issath's leaving of the Ascended Masters in the Kun-Da-Le-Ni Mountains he could have met you before, however it is also possible that Issath met you in one of his past lives as a Human or perhaps an ancestor (Dwarves are infamous for their memories)

Why does Issath smile all the time? Hmm... That is classified however I will tell you that he is often thinking about you (and by "you" I mean everyone"). Issath likes to see the good in all people and enjoys making all people happy... I'd like to see how he'd handle betrayal and how he would interact with an Evil aligned party member (or enemy).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This is probably a stupid idea, but would some combination of 'accidentally' dropping the box on a rock that I had previously manifested dissolving weaponon work to let us see what's in the boxes? The olny flaw I can think of is that they now know that we know if it works. And disguising the acid might be a problem.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Robotnik View Post
    This is probably a stupid idea, but would some combination of 'accidentally' dropping the box on a rock that I had previously manifested dissolving weaponon work to let us see what's in the boxes? The olny flaw I can think of is that they now know that we know if it works. And disguising the acid might be a problem.
    No such thing as stupid ideas. Remember, Edison didn't fail 1000 times, he just discovered 1000 ways to not make lightbulbs. Any idea is worth a try.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Robotnik View Post
    Actually, seeing as how we didn't make a Will Save, I'm quite sure they're not reading our minds. At the moment, that would be a fairly good idea... Just don't do it in an obvious way... If you can manifest a power that would allow you to break open the box undetected

EDIT: is it okay to say stuff like that out of game?
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-12 at 08:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlackDragon

So far I've been good and non-meta and avoided reading the spoilers not for me, but this discussion is really intriguing/confusing to watch. As of the moment, Elestil has no idea there's anything strange about these boxes except for the lead, and he's not particularly suspicious. I'll be very interested when the group learns of whatever's going on.

23. - Top - End - #83

BlackDragon

Oh, the similarities between Frandol and Elestil.

Will: (1d20+5)[13]

Pleeeeeease recognize it!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been slightly distracted. But mostly you haven't been talking to the NPCs so there's not much for me to post. Not that I dislike your antics, I find them very amusing. I'm just unsure about what I, as a DM, am supposed to do.

Ah well, might as well post their responses.

25. - Top - End - #85

Isn't it generally an optional thing for a PC to roll a will save targeted to him by an ally PC? For example if I were to cast charm person on, say,Grad(not saying I will), would he not get to choose if it affected him or not as he deems fit?
    By that logic, if you have a reason to see through the trick, it's likely you did...

@Arcanist:Sounds cool, but how long ago was that? Frandol isn't even a century old yet so I don't know how effective past lives would be.

EDIT:Did I just make Frandol call himself a "sticky short dwarf"? Okay... Haha...
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-13 at 12:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

BlackDragon

Isn't it generally an optional thing for a PC to roll a will save targeted to him by an ally PC? For example if I were to cast charm person on, say,Grad(not saying I will), would he not get to choose if it affected him or not as he deems fit?
    By that logic, if you have a reason to see through the trick, it's likely you did...
    Is it? I assumed it wasn't optional, unless you told us it was an illusion. But I could be wrong. And maybe I just get a bonus to the save because I know you use that trick. DM??

I'd like to think Elestil would catch on.. Maybe Spot/Listen and Spellcraft to identify you casting the spell?

Spoiler
    Show
    Not so much because I think I should, but so I don't need to re-post if I decide I should...
    Spot: (1d20)[2]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[8]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+5)[24]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Missed where I wanted the post, oh well.

I'll just assume Frandol continued his plan anyway. What with his inattentiveness and all.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Egneil View Post
    I'll just assume Frandol continued his plan anyway. What with his inattentiveness and all.
    Frandol didn't hear a thing, nor does he suspect much, and the humming? tinnitus maybe? Working in many different places probably would accustom him to a disturbing high pitch... so how would he tell if it wasn't directed towards him? [/Rhetorical]

My personal tome of petty issues would assume tinnitus as a DC 15 fortitude save every minute in high-pressure areas, the result would be -1 to concentration that stack with each failure, a single success negates, but fail 4 times and you'll get a nosebleed...
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-13 at 01:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

BlackDragon

Egneil, fellow players who may have an idea: how common are psionics in this world? Will the adventurers have come across psionics frequently, occasionally, or maybe once or twice? I don't know how to react to the mind stuff--whether it's something familiar, something unusual but not surprising, or something very strange. Since we're already 7th level, I'm assuming everyone will have come across psionics by now if it's relatively common.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Egneil, fellow players who may have an idea: how common are psionics in this world? Will the adventurers have come across psionics frequently, occasionally, or maybe once or twice? I don't know how to react to the mind stuff--whether it's something familiar, something unusual but not surprising, or something very strange. Since we're already 7th level, I'm assuming everyone will have come across psionics by now if it's relatively common.
    To answer you're question, I'll say that it's mostly uncommon and dependent on the region you're in. For Elestil specifically, he's dealt with psionics occasionally. If you'd like I could PM you the specifics. Basically he knows enough about psionics that it's lost it's shock value, and he's somewhat accustomed to it. But it's been awhile since he's last had to deal with it. This is from the kingdom of Kerjat, and the surrounding area, having practically none. With everyone that has psionic talent in Kerjat being either a foreigner or a wild talent. While psionics in the surrounding area are generally mistaken as sorcerers. It's only further west that there are enough psionics for people to recognize them as something separate from spellcasters.

EDIT: I'd like to explain a bit about that Intimidate check. Basically I don't want to hinder roleplaying, but I felt like the NPCs should be able to use the social checks. (Intimidate and Diplomacy) So I'm toying with an idea. Instead of trying to change your attitude, these checks will be used to keep you from performing certain actions, (Like trying to lie to them) or end haggling (Making it so the deal if favoring them) if you fail to resist them. If you think that this is a bad idea, I'd like to know. I'm just trying it out so I might not keep it anyway.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-10-13 at 11:21 PM. Reason: To prevent double posting.