Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [OoC] The Unexpecteds

Quote Originally Posted by Egneil View Post
    Whenever I but anything behind a colon in a check, that means it has more specialized knowledge. Any specialization about that subject will grant a bonus to the check. Spell focus grants a +1 bonus to the knowledge check, with specialization in that field(Illusionist for example) grants a +3 bonus. These bonuses also apply for the psionic variants.(Psionic Endowment, and Discipline.)
    I was kind of hoping that's what you were implying. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

HNNNG! I'm curious if starting a bar fight while drunk would be a Chaotic action~

3. - Top - End - #153

BlackDragon

Egneil, you mentioned the legally sold scrolls. Are there any restrictions on magic use/sale/possession that our characters would know about?

Rolls if needed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+7)[24]
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+7)[21]
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

@Newcomer: The legality of buying and selling scrolls vary from town to town. Usually based on how magic is treated there, and which deity is more widely worshiped. In Kerjat magic can be owned by anyone, but you can't sell any level 4 spell without a permit. And every scroll must be bound with the city, either by string or being in a case. The only exception to that are cantrips, which are deemed too weak to cause any major damage and thus can be left unbound.

Also psionic items don't apply in regards to those laws. This is mostly because very few people even know that psions exist.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-10-24 at 05:32 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

5. - Top - End - #155

BlackDragon

Why are there potions of Endure Elements at CL 3 and 5? The only difference caster level will make for that potion is the DC of the save, which would only come into effect if you were forcing it down the throat of someone who wishes to freeze/overheat to death... Per the Brew Potion feat, the potion brewer decides the CL, which is anywhere from the minimum needed for the spell to the brewer's CL, but they pay a higher XP cost for a higher CL. So I can't imagine why anyone would choose to make the potion higher than CL 1 unless there are incredibly unusual circumstances. Or they think people will pay more, falsely believing the protection to be stronger.

If you have reason, fine, but if it was randomly generated, I'm pointing out the logic of this instance, hoping you'll kindly lower the CL. Your call, but please respond here, as I'm delaying a possible conversation about the high-priced ones IC.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    Why are there potions of Endure Elements at CL 3 and 5? The only difference caster level will make for that potion is the DC of the save, which would only come into effect if you were forcing it down the throat of someone who wishes to freeze/overheat to death... Per the Brew Potion feat, the potion brewer decides the CL, which is anywhere from the minimum needed for the spell to the brewer's CL, but they pay a higher XP cost for a higher CL. So I can't imagine why anyone would choose to make the potion higher than CL 1 unless there are incredibly unusual circumstances. Or they think people will pay more, falsely believing the protection to be stronger.

If you have reason, fine, but if it was randomly generated, I'm pointing out the logic of this instance, hoping you'll kindly lower the CL. Your call, but please respond here, as I'm delaying a possible conversation about the high-priced ones IC.
    Oh, I actually thought that they had their duration scale with level, I didn't realize that they were static. I'll leave them where they are though, because having a higher CL helps to keep it from being dispelled.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

7. - Top - End - #157

BlackDragon

Oh, I actually thought that they had their duration scale with level, I didn't realize that they were static. I'll leave them where they are though, because having a higher CL helps to keep it from being dispelled.
    Ah, dispelling, didn't think of that.

8. - Top - End - #158

because having a higher CL helps to keep it from being dispelled.
    I was gonna let it be after this, but it just enlarged the craving to inquire on this:
    Are dispelling effects a general consumer concern? If not, is it a professional concern from the perspective of adventurers who often find dispelling a crippling money-eater? Does it have a more pleasant flavor which makes it more appealing? You see where I'm heading with this so can somebody stop me?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-26 at 05:28 PM.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

"I could embrace you forever, I Fight for you with blazing passion and a knife I stole from you —I dare not ask what you plot with it.
    Follow me, and I will protect you, we can laugh together and the pain will over soon.
    Just trust me, one of us has to!"
    —Vamber, The daring Martyr.

Ceika made my Vamber avatar - Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

9. - Top - End - #159

BlackDragon

As I'm out and about, using my phone to post, I will update my character sheet for purchases and expenses later this evening.

EDIT: Updated for the potions.
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-10-26 at 06:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

I ordinarily try to be gullible with Thurod, since he's low Wisdom, but that somehow tripped his radar.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

Egneil, looking ahead, would Elestil be able to take the Ruathar prestige class from Races of the Wild? I just re-discovered it, and it's an elf-friend class, which is definitely what he's going for. His backstory may provide enough to justify entry, but either way, he'll need to find an elven community to be inducted. Unless you decide to rule that he already is inducted, though he hasn't taken levels yet. Just a thought.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

OH DON'T WORRY! I'LL BE OVER HERE EXPLAINING MY AWESOME BACKSTORY AND REASON FOR DOING STUFF!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

@Price Zahn: Dispelling isn't a major concern for most people, but the bandits of the more extreme regions would attempt to weaken a caravan using the weather. Anyone wearing metal armors would need to rely on other ways to deal with the elements. (Anyone in metal armors is treated to be in temperatures 10 degrees worse than normal while in extreme weather.)

@Newcomer: I don't have the Races of the Wild book, so if you can post a link to it I'll look it over.

14. - Top - End - #164

Fair enough, Frandol wouldn't use such a potion since he can cast it himself (dwarves also dislike the strong, tasteless bitter flavor found in most abjuration potions anyway... in real life it would be like taking preventative medicine, it's unpleasant and hard to swallow, but you'll take it if you think you need it.)

"I could embrace you forever, I Fight for you with blazing passion and a knife I stole from you —I dare not ask what you plot with it.
    Follow me, and I will protect you, we can laugh together and the pain will over soon.

15. - Top - End - #165

So...just so everyone knows, I live on the East Coast...if I don't reply for a while(A day or more.), that's why.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    So...just so everyone knows, I live on the East Coast...if I don't reply for a while(A day or more.), that's why.
    Most of my best friends live on the East Coast, kind of nervous and although I'm not very religious, I'm actually praying for them

Good luck

17. - Top - End - #167

Afterwards I plan to reexamine that map, along with the tent, If I'm already activated my "MagiCam".

I took off 6 cp for Frandol's portion, if it's too much Frandol would have asked for change, but 1CP too many is within the tipping zone.
    *tries to resist spouting worthless fluffity-fluffer fluffs*
    *[RESISTANCE FAILED!]*
    There are no tipping courtesies in Big dwarven societies, overpaying is simply another way of flaunting one's money and status, also, if you don't ask for change when purchasing in Northriver, you will occasionally not receive it, as it is legal to assume you overpay if you don't mention otherwise. Northriver's not all polished on a silver plate, it has it's toughness.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-29 at 02:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Most of my best friends live on the East Coast, kind of nervous and although I'm not very religious, I'm actually praying for them

Good luck
    Thanks, Arcanist. I'm not too worried, but, better safe than sorry.

@Egneil: Any magic item shops in town(equippable items, I mean.)
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, Arcanist. I'm not too worried, but, better safe than sorry.
    I'd rather be sorry than safe, because if I'm sorry that means I caused the damage... hopefully it wasn't anything important to me...

More important note: Issath is blitzed so just go with the idea that he is so drunk that he can't really do anything right now...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been running out of time to finish when I was getting on. Turns out writing comes slow for me.

Anyway onto the questions.
    @Scrambled Brains: There's not much in the way of magical equipment because they're rather costly. The people that can make them don't start until they're assured that the item will be bought when it's finished. Despite the presence of adventurers it's incredibly difficult to unload magic items.(They're too costly for normal people, and governments can usually wait for a custom order.)

As for merchants trying to sell older equipment... Make an Appraise or Knowledge(Arcana) check.

@Prince Zahn: Not all potions taste bad, in fact many of them can taste like wine or fruit juice. It all depends on the skill of the brewer and to a lesser extent the quality of the materials. The more skillful the brewer(read:higher level) the more they can change the taste. In fact Artifact potions have been known to taste exactly like water or beef stew, much to the surprise of assassinated royalty. However most don't change the taste unless it's necessary or by request, because it's more costly and requires more skill.

21. - Top - End - #171

Fine by me. Knowledge(Arcana) Check!...

Knowledge(Arcana): (1d20+6)[26]

A nat 20?! Sweet!
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-10-30 at 11:51 AM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

BlackDragon

Good to see you're online today, ScrambledBrains.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    Good to see you're online today, ScrambledBrains.
    Thanks, Newcomer. Was kinda bad last, lost power for two hours, but otherwise no trouble.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

Bump?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry about the slow reply, I'm working on various things in RL. That and I was waiting for Dr.Robotnik and/or Prince Zahn to post.

Anyway here's what Thurod was able to find, I'll update the IC thread shortly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cloak of Escape: 2,100 GP(Grants a +4 bonus to your escape artist check, with an additional +3 bonus if it's removed and dropped during the check)
    +1 quarterstaff(Glowing): 1,800 GP(A normal +1 quarterstaff whose enchantment glows. Only one side is enchanted)
    Ring of Divine Illusion: 500 GP(Grants a +3 bonus on Use Magic Device checks when using a divine item)
    Shield of Arcana: 1,700 GP(A small buckler enchanted to stay out of the way when a spell is cast. Grants a 5% reduction to arcane spell failure)
    Pearl of Power: 1,000 GP(Recalls a first level spell)
    Knowstone (Shield): 1,000 GP(Gives knowledge of the shield spell, allowing a spontaneous caster to cast the spell)
    Load Anchor: 1,300 GP(A suppressed Loadstone that can be unsuppressed for up to 4 hours a day)
    Boots of Minor Jumping: 900 GP(+3 bonus on all jump checks)

Because of the Nat 20 I'll give you a +4 circumstance bonus to haggle these prices, using either Appraise or Diplomacy.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-10-31 at 09:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Sorry about the slow reply, I'm working on various things in RL. That and I was waiting for Dr.Robotnik and/or Prince Zahn to post.

Anyway here's what Thurod was able to find, I'll update the IC thread shortly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cloak of Escape: 2,100 GP(Grants a +4 bonus to your escape artist check, with an additional +3 bonus if it's removed and dropped during the check)
    +1 quarterstaff(Glowing): 1,800 GP(A normal +1 quarterstaff whose enchantment glows. Only one side is enchanted)
    Ring of Divine Illusion: 500 GP(Grants a +3 bonus on Use Magic Device checks when using a divine item)
    Shield of Arcana: 1,700 GP(A small buckler enchanted to stay out of the way when a spell is cast. Grants a 5% reduction to arcane spell failure)
    Pearl of Power: 1,000 GP(Recalls a first level spell)
    Knowstone (Shield): 1,000 GP(Gives knowledge of the shield spell, allowing a spontaneous caster to cast the spell)
    Load Anchor: 1,300 GP(A suppressed Loadstone that can be unsuppressed for up to 4 hours a day)
    Boots of Minor Jumping: 900 GP(+3 bonus on all jump checks)

Because of the Nat 20 I'll give you a +4 circumstance bonus to haggle these prices, using either Appraise or Diplomacy.
    No stress, just got worried about ya.

Damn...stuck between the Knowstone or the Pearl of Power...group thoughts?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

I can give you the money for the Knowstone unless the DM is going willing to let me use it for Issath

28. - Top - End - #178

BlackDragon

I have no input there.. Waaayyyy too knew to this to know how to value items I'm not specifically looking for.

And I just realized that I never posted a response about the market food, my mistake.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

No stress, just got worried about ya.

Damn...stuck between the Knowstone or the Pearl of Power...group thoughts?
    Well from what the rules said, it seems that the Pearl of Power can only be used by prepared spellcasters. Which is why I made the Knowstone, which only works for characters that have a set amount of spells known.

30. - Top - End - #180

Well from what the rules said, it seems that the Pearl of Power can only be used by prepared spellcasters. Which is why I made the Knowstone, which only works for characters that have a set amount of spells known.
    You're right on the Pearl, so I'll take the Knowstone. Will post in IC soon.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show