Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [OoC] The Unexpecteds

What check wwould it be to not get bored/frustrated?
    Wis? Autohypnosis? No check? I'm debating using autohypnosis to sit in that office nearly indefinitely.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Egneil View Post
    @Newcomer: Shiria is meant to be the name of Elestil's wife, from the legend. As for other legends about her specifically, I can't think of any right now.

@Arcanist: I like to run my characters under their alignments as well, so you're welcome about Issath's life.

As for the Prc and template, I won't be allowing them. There's already a Prc based around the template that's more balanced. And I've already used the Psionic Uncarnate class for the Ascended Masters anyway. Anything closer to pure energy requires epic level and will draw the attention of the Gods. (As the next level after becoming such a being is Divine Rank 0) And I don't mind granting monster abilities to players, so there's no need to allow the Prc.
    If I maybe so kind as to offer the use of the meditant over the psionic uncarnate. Effectively an improvement upon the other since the meditant captures spiritual ascension much easier (in the form of all day etherealness 3/day). How about access to the BoED for the sacred vows?

I'm on my itouch now so I'll edit this later
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-11-09 at 10:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've wanted to fiddle about with a hat of disguise for years, Having been almost always dependent on the DM for magic knick-knacks, I never had much of the chance to, either. When I found out I had plenty of starting budget to work with it was among the first things on my mind

So yeah, Frandol mainly uses it to mess with strangers' heads using the hat, it's a fun little perk when meeting new people, he may use it to lay briefly as well, but right now there is no real practical reason to using it, what's life without whimsy?

One problem he must face with each disguise, however, is the he can't hide the glowing streak in his beard without a powerful illusion of some sort.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-11-10 at 07:17 AM.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

"I could embrace you forever, I Fight for you with blazing passion and a knife I stole from you —I dare not ask what you plot with it.
    Follow me, and I will protect you, we can laugh together and the pain will over soon.
    Just trust me, one of us has to!"
    —Vamber, The daring Martyr.

Ceika made my Vamber avatar - Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

In a few hours if someone doesn't respond I'll auto-wake Issath and interact. Ain't letting you quit this easy

5. - Top - End - #215

It's still pretty early for that, I'd reckon, among other things Frandol might try to see if he can find some things, among them a sobering spell of either enchantment or transmutation, if he can't find it he will inquire directions for a place to find an appropriate conjuration(healing) potion of the sort.

Bottom line is we're not leaving without 'im, I assure you.

EDIT: Unless, of course, I'd be wasting my effort and money if Elans wake from alcohol and sober through a hangover far quicker than most humanoids...
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-11-11 at 10:47 AM.

"I could embrace you forever, I Fight for you with blazing passion and a knife I stole from you —I dare not ask what you plot with it.
    Follow me, and I will protect you, we can laugh together and the pain will over soon.

6. - Top - End - #216

BlackDragon

No way for Frandol to know that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    EDIT: Unless, of course, I'd be wasting my effort and money if Elans wake from alcohol and sober through a hangover far quicker than most humanoids...
    Meditants from the Kun-Da-Li-Ni are naturally resistant towards most Alcohols (in the form of hangovers and the such, not getting plastered) and 3rd world taints (drugs) since that is usually what they export, despite alcohol being illegal to drink in the Kun-Da-Li-Ni. DMT, however is entirely legal since it isn't viewed as a drug and is viewed as a meditative device (like Incense).

Seriously, if you had taken Issath to an opium den he would have burned you guys out so fast...
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-11-11 at 01:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218

BlackDragon

Meditants from the Kun-Da-Li-Ni are naturally resistant towards most Alcohols
    ... and yet Issath is plastered after one light drink.

Arcanist, if you're just getting antsy, you could always do a dreaming post. ...I'm not sure I really want to see what Issath dreams about...
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    ... and yet Issath is plastered after one light drink.

Arcanist, if you're just getting antsy, you could always do a dreaming post. ...I'm not sure I really want to see what Issath dreams about...
    I EDITED PROPERLY!

ooo... I'd actually have to think about what Issath's dreams would be like actually... Having been raised by Monks to be effectively an ascetic without the friken Vow of Poverty *daggers at DM* so I'm not exactly sure what he would dream about...

10. - Top - End - #220

I EDITED PROPERLY!

ooo... I'd actually have to think about what Issath's dreams would be like actually... Having been raised by Monks to be effectively an ascetic without the friken Vow of Poverty *daggers at DM* so I'm not exactly sure what he would dream about...
    (Working with what little information I have on Issath, the Ascended masters, and the Kun-Da-Li-Ni) I have my own suggestions, knowing your character only up to a certain point(and for a good reason) I am unsure how much help it will be, however. Is all speculating.
    The first:
    Spoiler
    Show
    being a encrypted message of some sort - directed towards Issath, which you could weave yourself, OR trust Mr.DM to make the magic, or a combination of both.

The other:
    Spoiler
    Show
    this one involves using sleep as an opportunity for Issath to simply think. "process" the information surrounding him and he interacted with, reflect upon the people and experiences he's interacted with and what kind of people they are, considering this option Issath might understand what kind of people he met, and understand that drinking feels a bit too odd for him, with an alternative like this Issath might be very hard to fool twice...

Yet another option
    Spoiler
    Show
    involves viewing an aspect of Issath's previous life which, despite the rebirthing rite, could simply and/or poetically not disappear and/or be parted with forever, by weaving these things yourself, the "camera view" will show us a deeper part of Issath. How would you explain such a phenomenon? Perhaps A brief, yet evidently crucial, interruption in the ritual, or a "subconscious difficulty to maintain the rebirth", or if I'm already pitching this kind of material:"The memory was so traumatic it was forever scarred into you, to the point mortal force* could not remove it."(or alternatively "the memories were so precious to the original Issath that deep enough inside he could not part with them, and now he must bear the consequences")

Further thinking:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can have a utopia dream, or some campaign-appropriate adaptation of one, a place you may only dream of until you are deemed worthy, or join the ascended masters[?]

Or something like that...........
    Ooh! OR—
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can simply not think much into it and be one of those guys with peculiar dreams not a single person on this earth can have an answer to - those are the best kind, you know
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-11-12 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Heh, said magic* but it's not what I meant.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So, would I be able to use autohypnosis to put myself into a trance rather than wait patiently? It might be useful to make a gag later. If not, ill just wait for the clerk to finish his paperwork.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

I rather like PZ's suggestions, Arcanist.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-11-11 at 07:59 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

@Dr.Robotnik: Sorry about not updating you. I've been trying to keep everyone's post at around the same amount of time. I'm not sure if I've succeeded, but I may have gone overboard with you. Sorry about that.

@Arcanist: I don't have the full rules for Vow of Poverty so I won't be allowing it. Most people seem to think that it's overpowered, so I'll believe them until I can get the full rules.

As for the meditants, I can see your point about them being more spiritual. Although I can see uncarnates to be just as spiritual. Gaining ascension through the removal of a physical form and becoming pure thought.

...And I just had an idea for your character just now. And it goes well with my original idea too, hehehehe.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

(Working with what little information I have on Issath, the Ascended masters, and the Kun-Da-Li-Ni) I have my own suggestions, knowing your character only up to a certain point(and for a good reason) I am unsure how much help it will be, however. Is all speculating.
    The first:
    Spoiler
    Show
    being a encrypted message of some sort - directed towards Issath, which you could weave yourself, OR trust Mr.DM to make the magic, or a combination of both.

The other:
    Spoiler
    Show
    this one involves using sleep as an opportunity for Issath to simply think. "process" the information surrounding him and he interacted with, reflect upon the people and experiences he's interacted with and what kind of people they are, considering this option Issath might understand what kind of people he met, and understand that drinking feels a bit too odd for him, with an alternative like this Issath might be very hard to fool twice...

Yet another option
    Spoiler
    Show
    involves viewing an aspect of Issath's previous life which, despite the rebirthing rite, could simply and/or poetically not disappear and/or be parted with forever, by weaving these things yourself, the "camera view" will show us a deeper part of Issath. How would you explain such a phenomenon? Perhaps A brief, yet evidently crucial, interruption in the ritual, or a "subconscious difficulty to maintain the rebirth", or if I'm already pitching this kind of material:"The memory was so traumatic it was forever scarred into you, to the point mortal force* could not remove it."(or alternatively "the memories were so precious to the original Issath that deep enough inside he could not part with them, and now he must bear the consequences")

Further thinking:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can have a utopia dream, or some campaign-appropriate adaptation of one, a place you may only dream of until you are deemed worthy, or join the ascended masters[?]

Or something like that...........
    Ooh! OR—
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can simply not think much into it and be one of those guys with peculiar dreams not a single person on this earth can have an answer to - those are the best kind, you know
    My reaction to all of this...

I have a good idea for what Issath's dreams would look like now. For a small explanation. It would be all of these and yet none of them at the same time. To make things appropriate Issath would most likely view all of creation from day one up to his 1st birth, 9th death and Reincarnation as a Utopian world where everyone is effectively an equal to each other. The most common factor in all of Issath's life is that regardless of the number of peoples that have surrounded him, regardless of the prestige he has held, regardless of how much power he has wielded in his time. He has always been lonely. He never found a mate when he existed as a Ectoplasm Dragon due to not finding one who could be his equal, He never found a friend when he was a Human Scholar in the Rosary (Special scholarly guild, exclusive to females) due to never actually leaving his tower, he never found happiness as an Elf due to never actually learning the perfection that is required for being an Elf. During all of his lives, something has always been missing, however now that he is now on the road to ascension he might just find those little things that were missing in his life...

Writing out Issath's entire History would be quite a feat in and of itself so during that dream sequence I might just paraphrase on some moments. Hell I might even only show Thurod since he still has a Mindlink with me at the moment

I don't have the full rules for Vow of Poverty so I won't be allowing it. Most people seem to think that it's overpowered, so I'll believe them until I can get the full rules.

As for the meditants, I can see your point about them being more spiritual. Although I can see uncarnates to be just as spiritual. Gaining ascension through the removal of a physical form and becoming pure thought.

...And I just had an idea for your character just now. And it goes well with my original idea too, hehehehe.
    Actually Vow of Poverty is generally underpowered since you are effectively giving up the most powerful thing in the game: Magical items, but eh

Uncarnates are fine, I'm just offering Meditant as a slightly better response of that. Please feel free to toss back your character idea for Issath

I am glad that so many of you could actually toss nice feed back for him.

15. - Top - End - #225

Yeah I realized my screw-up with the rolling initiative, and thankfully nothing will really be fatal if they do use it, it's just that Frandol likes to play, and naturally hates to lose, it won't be a good thing to flaunt about the mark to other dwarves, assuming the dwarf figured it out he might possibly understand the reasoning behind hiding an identity he no longer posesses, likely not sympathetic, however.
    INITIATIVE:
    (1d20+3)[10]

16. - Top - End - #226

BlackDragon

Not to interfere too much with your creative processes, but logically, why would magic implants develop? It seems like it would be more complicated and likely more difficult than simply healing the failed organs through magic. I mean, not every development is logical, but I'm curious about that one..

17. - Top - End - #227

An excellent question, Newcomer, one I have given a bit of thought to, so I'll give it a shot:
    While curative magic, such as restoration, may be effective, but there is one situation where they cannot handle(at least so without far greater magic that is seldom seen), I'm speaking of long-term and recurring illness.

This little fella - Eissel, who was originally viewed as a madman for pioneering the process, originally used the technique to have his heart beat and sustain his life with no connection to his veins, thus securing the safety of his heart, so that he may live while his mind siezes full control of his conpassion, and denying his hunters the joy of ripping it from his body, as many swore at his time.

Eras later it was figured out that body parts could be augmented with magic for reasons not as dark, a wealthy traveller might ask such a surgeon, sometimes referred to today as "fixers" to hold extradimentional space in his stomach so that he could sustain for far longer without nourishment, or perhaps his heart's blood to never clot, while regeneration can restore, an implant's job is to treat, and prevent.

More seen uses for it that don't involve saving lives include enchanting bones and limbs to grow or mend more serious damage swifter, enchanting a brain to improve capabilities, or a skull to change face, these methods are far, FAR, FAAR more expensive treatments than providing magical items, but they are known to last a lifetime, and are sometimes hereditary, which are two traits that together overcome the prices of restocking magical or mundane medicines for the long run.

Successful adventurers and wealthy and/or powerful families and houses are the primary market for these kinds of things, as the great naturally seek to be greater, and the powerful oft wish be perfect, as such when a person hears you can afford one he'll really hear you have luxury money, and lots of it.

Does that answer your questions?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-11-12 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Was gonna finish, but phone was buggy

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

After reading your explanation, I'll have to say no to body enchantments. Mostly this is from enchantments needing one day per 1,000GP in it's base price to make, thus requiring the organ to be exposed for the duration. Also I've previously decided that enchanting requires a variety of minerals and magical plants to be molded into the object. And anyone desperate enough to cure their ailments would generally seek out the larger monasteries and cities where such high level spells can be cast. If such enchantments could be cast, magic isn't widespread enough to have anyone skilled enough to preform it.

Now I won't outright throw away your fluff. Instead it would be explained away as a hoax, or Eissel was actually a lich, or a god. And anyone offering such an enhancement is a murderous con man who worships a dark god. The closest you could get to body enchantments would be from permanent magical tattoos.(Which are different from Psionic Tattoos, but mechanically similar to them and can only be created by Artificers.)

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Artificers are present in this world, but they're considered radical academics. Their radical and unproven theories getting them thrown out of the magical institutions. Should an Artificer become skilled enough to create basic magic items, their unrefined art gives those items undesirable effects.(Basically their items are cursed from the start.)
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-11-12 at 02:24 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

19. - Top - End - #229

After reading your explanation, I'll have to say no to body enchantments. Mostly this is from enchantments needing one day per 1,000GP in it's base price to make, thus requiring the organ to be exposed for the duration. Also I've previously decided that enchanting requires a variety of minerals and magical plants to be molded into the object. And anyone desperate enough to cure their ailments would generally seek out the larger monasteries and cities where such high level spells can be cast. If such enchantments could be cast, magic isn't widespread enough to have anyone skilled enough to preform it.
    Yes, true. If you please allow me, I will argue two things, then make your decision:
    1.1000/day is for crafting magic items, while it is true that it is the orthodox crafting method, By logic the existence of such a method would rely on it's immediate excecution in times of emergency, even if it would be as simple as "cast the appropriate therapeutic spell on the organ with permanecy"...with which perhaps could be possible - the exact execution technique may just as well stay a secret one so long as nobles will pay for it.
    2. It's market is rich people who can afford liesure or wish desperately to survive, not for some crunch-hungry glatiator who will be unstoppable, just for the principles of availabilty, the prices are incredible because that's how much a noble is willing to pay for it, practitioners of the craft are indeed rare, and are mostly monopolized by the rich. Moreover - This little addition to the world is not meant by any means as a real adventurer's option, the danger that the one thing keeping you alive 24/7 could collapse inside you from a simple dispel magic spell as you shrivel and die on the spot often spells retirement for a "fixed" hero with more than 7 points of wisdom score. Forgive me for this analogy - In essence it's like having a pacemaker, there is the great advantage of staying alive(and all it includes), but it stands alongside major disadvantages and problems that could put you right where you started if you're not always careful.

The defense rests. Your DMship.
    That said, I'd be fine with Eissel being a lich of legend, or an evil god. perhaps his original name is kept to instill fear upon mischivieous young halflings who stray from the path of good, thinking innocence, luck, and a meager appearance will save them from becoming monstrosities - both inside and out.

Awww shucks! What is it about the phrase "instill fear upon young halflings"?
    There's just something about it that makes me grin so wide...

I kid.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

I can see your point, but I'm going to say no. In order for this procedure to exist people would need to have a greater understanding of how magic works. Currently though people are more concerned with creating a desired effect than they are with what causes those effects. Basically there's just not enough knowledge for people to have these kinds of procedures. (Or any kind of procedure for that matter) "Fixers" would be more akin to the medical alchemists of old, throwing magic together and hope that it produces the correct effect.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-11-12 at 05:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Writing out Issath's entire History would be quite a feat in and of itself so during that dream sequence I might just paraphrase on some moments. Hell I might even only show Thurod since he still has a Mindlink with me at the moment

I am glad that so many of you could actually toss nice feed back for him.
    Waiting eagerly if you do.

Hey, good teammates help each other develop their characters.

That said, I'd be fine with Eissel being a lich of legend, or an evil god. perhaps his original name is kept to instill fear upon mischivieous young halflings who stray from the path of good, thinking innocence, luck, and a meager appearance will save them from becoming monstrosities - both inside and out.

Awww shucks! What is it about the phrase "instill fear upon young halflings"?
    There's just something about it that makes me grin so wide...

I kid.
    You can't scare a halfling, you can only surprise them. Like a weaker Chuck Norris.

I kid as well.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

BlackDragon

I'm glad someone mentioned Elestil's name!

Although the man might interpret it as a strange way of Thurod saying he agrees with the legendary Elestil's Elven quote.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    You can't scare a halfling, you can only surprise them. Like a weaker Chuck Norris.

I kid as well.
    Actually, a weaker Chuck Norris is never actually "young", from day zero he is a full-grown adult capable of roundhouse kicking the Tarrasque in the face so hard he dies and reincarnates 4 times in other planes of existence. (This is an at-will ability).
    Can a halfling do that?

24. - Top - End - #234

Actually, a weaker Chuck Norris is never actually "young", from day zero he is a full-grown adult capable of roundhouse kicking the Tarrasque in the face so hard he dies and reincarnates 4 times in other planes of existence. (This is an at-will ability).
    Can a halfling do that?
    Wait and see.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    Wait and see.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

AUGH! I have no idea how I'm going to pop this dream sequence into the current game!

Mr. DM! Please tell me where it would be okay to pop it in

27. - Top - End - #237

Likewise.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

Hey, Egneil(and Co.)?

I got a small problem, you guys are probably soon heading out with the caravan, aside from discussing the extra crates and such there is also the matter of waiting for Frandol, who, odds are, is going to have to explain to the clerks why he's entered the Mage guildhall disguised.

Frandol's player, however, is going to be gone until next Tuesday-wednsday starting this evening while you guys progress.

I'm not out of the game, I just won't have access to the Internet during this time while I get a guy to fix my Internet in my own house.

Any suggestions what to do, fellas? Do you continue on assuming Frandol is with you, while I PM-roleplay the shopping-scene with Mr.DM when I get back, or do I write something down when I get my Internet back?
    When I get back I'll look, but by all means DM&players - decide this one for me...

29. - Top - End - #239

Hey, Egneil(and Co.)?

I got a small problem, you guys are probably soon heading out with the caravan, aside from discussing the extra crates and such there is also the matter of waiting for Frandol, who, odds are, is going to have to explain to the clerks why he's entered the Mage guildhall disguised.

Frandol's player, however, is going to be gone until next Tuesday-wednsday starting this evening while you guys progress.

I'm not out of the game, I just won't have access to the Internet during this time while I get a guy to fix my Internet in my own house.

Any suggestions what to do, fellas? Do you continue on assuming Frandol is with you, while I PM-roleplay the shopping-scene with Mr.DM when I get back, or do I write something down when I get my Internet back?
    When I get back I'll look, but by all means DM&players - decide this one for me...
    Well...we could wait for you. Wouldn't be that bad.

But, if you'd rather we continue...not sure what to do...
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry about the late reply again. I'm still trying to get everything in order.

I don't mind having Prince Zahn PM me about his portion of the shopping trip, I can just do a summary for when he gets back. So don't worry about posts directed towards him.

@Arcanist: Sorry about not having very many breaks in the dialogue, I'm trying to have a player interaction every post.

EDIT: I forgot to add a bit of information in my haste to post. It's nothing more than a way to keep this route viable.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-11-16 at 03:50 PM.