Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 316
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default [IC] The Unexpecteds

    The northern wall of Greytower looms over your group as you approach from the city inside. Three large, heavy wagons are waiting to the side of the gate itself, their yokes lying on the ground. All of the supplies seem to have been already packed and tied down behind thick pieces of burlap canvas. The wagons themselves were made in a Gnomish design, more square than their Human counterpart and with two yokes controlled by a few sets of block and tackle.

    People bustle about checking various ropes and making sure that the cargo is secure. Greytower guards stand at the entrances, blocking them with their halberds. Noting who your group is they let you pass without trouble. An Elf near the wagons stands when she spots your group, brushing herself off as you approach.

    The Elf is about 5'10" tall with wider frame than most elves. A bluish-white cloak covers much of her body. Leather bracers cover her arms as she waves you over, "Hello. Thank you for coming, I look forward to working with you!" She says with a smile when you get close enough, "I'm Naveris Valfor, the owner of this merchant caravan. I've called you here to help me with my commission to deliver supplies to the northern fortress. Basically I'm not all that familiar with this region and all of the normal passes are still closed."

    She shrugged as though the rest was clear and continued, "I'll leave all of the decisions up to you, but I'd like to reach the fort in under a fortnight. I've already taken the liberty of procuring maps of the region we'll have to pass through. Feel free to look it over, it's in the tent across from the wagons," Naveris said pointing the tent out.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US (Central Time)

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    The Goblin Elestil is barely half as tall as the Elf, but he walks with an erect posture that lends him a peculiar layer of trained elegance, unexpected for his race. To those accustomed to dealing only with the fairer races, his toothy smile may seem a touch unsettling, but it is an unmistakable expression of joy on Elestil's deep burgundy face. Beneath his fashionable cloak, glints of silvery mithral can be seen, perfectly matching the silvery trim of his marvelous cloak. As he approaches Naveris, he extends his arm in an Elven gesture of greeting, and begins to speak to the Elf in flawless Elven.

    Elven
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Greetings, Naveris Valfor, I am Elestil, poet, musician, and scholar of Elven lore. It is my great pleasure to make your acquaintance, and I, too, look forward to our work together."

    The look on the Goblin's face is a mixture of awe and adoration, with a twinge of pride in his own knowledge of Elven customs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Thurod strolled forward as well, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. Standing 6'2", he cut an imposing figure over the Elf and Goblin, but his clean, neat brown robe, and unaggresive, nearly clumsy movements showed not a hint of aggression.

    "It is a pleasure to meet you for me as well, Naveris Valfor. These caravans, anything we should be particularly careful with? Things we should guard above all others?"

    He asked, hoping to know what was expendable in-case an attack on their convoy got too fierce.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Smiling at Elestil, Naveris returns his gesture with one of her own, gripping his arm and placing her palm on the back of his hand. Her gesture seemed awkward and slightly unnatural, but sincere and welcoming. Replying in elven her words were much higher pitched with abrupt stops,

    Elven
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I didn't know that our races were so friendly here Elestil! For you to have an elven name means quite a lot. I think I know about that name though," She stops for a moment to think, "Right, that's the name of an elven <hero/elder> out here in the east. A rather renowned name for you to receive."


    Turning to Thurod she shakes his hand and speaks in common, "Right to business I see, very well then," looking at the wagons Naveris continues, "I can't think of anything especially important. Most of the supplies are medicines and food, as well as a variety of tools. There's a case of potions and palms, with some more weapons in the third wagon. Far fewer magic items than I expected actually," Turning back to Thurod she says, "There are also a few lead cases that the guard scattered among the wagons. The manifest doesn't say what's in them, only what they weigh and orders to not open them before arrival. I figure from their weight that they're the soldiers payment for this month. If they aren't, then it won't help us to know the truth."
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Prince Zahn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    roughly 36 feet from you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    In an odd manner a lone dwarf entered through the gate, looking around, talking to himself with a hand held between his eyes, supposedly splitting his vision but in essence looking foolish.

    As he walks and turns in multiple ways he almost bumps straight into the elf, but backs away quickly as he regains his focus. He speaks slowly in a dwarven-esque, almost foreign appearing dialect and accent:
    "Oooh? Terribly sorry, where're me manners? Lovely to meet our employer at last, Pleased to meet you, Elf. Call me Frandol, I don't mean to brag, but I am quite the artist as those who have seen my work so claim, haha."
    He speaks in common tongue, his accent seems mostly dwarven, in a voice deep and slow, but smooth and elegant, much unlike the common dwarf. He is under 4 feet tall, quite possibly the shortest dwarf most people get to see. his beard red and knotted with a contrasting bright violet streak flowing through it from all angles, appearing dyed and artificial

    His eyes shift around the city in a brief pause, but then continued in rusty elven speech:
    "<So... This is Greytower, uh? I've wanted to visit here sometime, but I always assumed it's other structures be less...bland, perhaps a splash of yellow, and just some some teal garnishing here and there...>
    "<Right then, Speaking of Valuables, We like to place our lives pretty highly, other than a common group of bandits and savage beasts and grounds ravaged by nature - does any other potential threat come to your mind? Assasins, wisewolves? paint-eating um—table-men!?>"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Frandol grasps the elf's shoulders with worried eyes as he says the words "paint eating, table men", with his words he hoped to describe a harpy, (much like the kind in the cavern they found in a previous trip to the desert and feasted on his expensive paint). Unfortunately, his flawed elven has failed him, saying male instead of female and "table" instead of similar sounding "bird")
    he immediately lets go of the elf, blinks twice, and brushes the dirt on the elf's arms as he tries to pull himself together, he resumes in common:
    "So sorry, now where in the North are we going?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-03 at 12:14 AM.
    Prince Zahn - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

    DMing this
    - for a...different, gaming experience.

    I am on and watching these forums even when it appears I'm gone.
    I will protect you, laugh with you and lift you up from despair(and in style!),
    sure as the spirit of Vamber - the most flamboyant halfling who never was - lies within me.

    Many thanks to Ceika for my Vamber Avatar!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arcanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warlock's Crypt, Orbedal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    A Strange man dashes over to the Elf, grabs her hand and tells her "Wow, you must be an elf? I've never seen one of you in this life, my goodness, your pretty, how are you doing? Do you live here? Can you tell me about your culture?" In a few moments Issath slows down in his speed and introduces himself properly "Hi, I'm Issath... No, I don't have a last name. I'm a... 'Priest' I suppose I hope we get along swimmingly."

    Not quite sure why everyone is speaking in Elven (nor understanding why anyone is capable of speaking in it). He walks over to the Dwarf in just as much amazement of his stature as well as his... Race... After a while he strokes his imaginary beard and looks around the city.

    "... So this is a city... It feels... good I guess. Yeah... Lots of energy floating around here. I like it here... 'Greytower". Anyway Naveris, I'll be reading over the maps.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Issath, puts on his gloves and examines the map. What does he see?
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-03 at 12:55 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Seeing the stranger members of your group Naveris smiles polity, and replies in common, "Um, it's nice to meet you as well. So you're a Dwarf, correct. I haven't met many during my travels you see," With a slight shake of her head she continues, "Anyway I can't think of anything in particular. I mean those cases are going to complicate things, but I don't expect anything more threatening than some meaner bandits,"

    Looking down she starts tapping her foot for a bit. After a few moments she shakes her head and says, "If there's anything else, then it's dependent on where we go more than what we have. Let's have a look at the maps, I've been briefed on what to expect where and I've already sent for a captain to explain what he can. He should be coming within the next few minutes actually."

    With that she turns and takes your group into the tent she pointed out before. The tent is about twenty-five feet long by twenty-three feet wide. The cotton canvas covers every side, protecting you from the elements and making it moderately warmer. Inside is a table covered with six large maps, the hooded lantern in the center lights the entirety of the tent. Four chairs and a smaller table stretch along the left hand side, marking the only other features. You notice Issath looking over the map closest to entrance. The first four maps (including the one Issath is holding) are maps of the barony in various levels of detail. The other two are far less complete; one looks as though it's nothing more than sketches of overhead landscapes, while the other is just a pathway with jagged walls and openings.

    Naveris brushes his hands away and shows you the normal trading route to the fortress, explaining that it's still inaccessible because of the winter snow.
    -----
    Knowledge (Local)/(Dungeoneering) Check. DC:18
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success means that you're able to identify the two odd maps to have been created through scrying. The first appears to have been multiple different attempts to scry a specific location, with a majority of them failing. While the other appears to show a subterranean path, probably through some caves.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-10-10 at 05:13 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC)Don't have either Knowledge, so I know nothing. (/OOC)


    Thurod looks on in interest at the first four maps, scanning them loosely. "If the route is inaccesible, I'm assuming you have a secondary route for a work-around?" He asked.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-10-06 at 02:36 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US (Central Time)

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Elestil reacts to Naveris's gesture with a confused expression that lasts for just a moment, then his orange eyes glint with recognition. He quickly replies to her, in Common, "I'm afraid most goblins do not get along with elves, even in these parts, but then I've always found myself more at home with elves than goblins. You must've heard of The Wisdom of Elestil! I can hardly do it justice, but it is a favorite at festivals!"

    Elestil then listens and observes the remainder of their conversation, and he follows Naveris into the tent.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+7)[26]
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[11] - to determine if Naveris is hiding something when she is looking at her feet--unless you'd rather roll that secretly, let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Prince Zahn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    roughly 36 feet from you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Why yes, this I am, you don't see many because most don't travel much, always comfortable in Northriver, I may have seen more than any other dwarf there!
    He smirked gently so as to not show his ill-groomed teeth, he has remembered from his cousin's advice to "ne'er shaw yer teet ta a spoilt elph, some phaink badly to the looks o' a'smilin' dwarph".
    Spoiler
    Show
    what? Is it wrong for different dwarves to have different accents depending on their origins? It doesn't matter, anyway, that's this unnamed cousin has a few teeth missing since a keg of ale fell on his face - the lesson? Ferryman beware...

    He looks behind him to see Issath stroking chin, "clearly a lad with beard envy, but why is he looking at me?" He thought, and finally spoke:
    "What, is there paint on me beard?"

    Soon afterwards he follows the kind elf to the caravan and listens carefully to the conversation.
    Snow? Naveris, I've formed art on an Icy winter mountain - me and two-dozen men fought snow's glossy, war-hardened uncle, what was so scary about snow?
    Spoiler
    Show
    that's only half-true, actually, he has formed an expedition years ago to paint a chunk of a mountainside, but an icy winter struck half way through, and(despite many efforts) "froze" the mission to a standstill, both literally and figuratively. He never returned there once he found two seasons' worth of effort was flowing down the stream.
    Place modifiers as necessary and let me know the result:
    Bluff: (1d20+6)[16]
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-06 at 08:27 PM.
    Prince Zahn - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

    DMing this
    - for a...different, gaming experience.

    I am on and watching these forums even when it appears I'm gone.
    I will protect you, laugh with you and lift you up from despair(and in style!),
    sure as the spirit of Vamber - the most flamboyant halfling who never was - lies within me.

    Many thanks to Ceika for my Vamber Avatar!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arcanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warlock's Crypt, Orbedal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Haha, It would be rather silly if you did have paint in your beard... one day perhaps..." Said Issath jokingly at the Dwarf "I do, however wish I could grow a beard and was actually a little Dwarven... I mean this map feels Dwarven... Maybe you can help me out here Mr. Dwarf"

    "Mr. Thurod, If you don't mind, may I please continue examining the maps? I don't know... They just feel right and good to me..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (1d20+5)[21]
    Concentration (1d20+12)[19]
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-06 at 11:49 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Oh, of course, of course." Thurod replied to the strange man, moving away from the maps and toward Elestil, "It is good to see you again, friend. Have the fates been kind since our last job?"

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC)I'm assuming we're going with the, 'We mostly all knew each other' Backstory. If wrong, I'll change this. (/OOC)
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US (Central Time)

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Elestil responds to the half-orc, a playful smile crossing his goblin face.

    "The fates have been as kind as could be expected. And how have you fared, my overgrown halfling friend?"
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Thurod chuckled wryly, "Reasonably well, my disguised Elf compatriot. I still haven't made it where I wished to be when I first set out...but I am getting closer all the time."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Raising an eyebrow at Frandol, the elf smiles and replies, "Really now? I'm sure you had a harrowing time with that, but the problem is that the average snow drift in these areas are up to about your elbow. Which means that the wagons won't be able to move, and we need to get these supplies to the fort before the diggers could clear a path to it," Turning to Thurod she continues, "As for other paths we can take, I've been given a few suggestions and I've taken a good look at these maps. Most of the land between us and the fort is unexplored, generally only being given a once over to create the maps. I don't know this area very well so I'll just tell you what I've been told by the minister."

    Turning back to the map Naveris points out a hilly area about two days northwest of the city, "He said the hills here offer the best passage to the fort. Apparently there are extensive tunnels running underneath them," She points out the map depicting the pathway before tracing it out on the current map, "The Dark-scryers seem to have identified one path that leads close to the fort. If everything goes smooth then it'll only take a fortnight to reach our destination. The other path he suggested was along the western ridge on the far side of the forest," The path she plots out goes around the bulk of the forest, requiring at least six days to reach the bottom of the ridge. Despite only being three and a half days travel as the crow flies.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Prince Zahn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    roughly 36 feet from you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Spoiler
    Show
    these dialogues are going on simultaniously? because it seems I've lost track of which comes first.>_>

    to Issath:

    "Haha, yes, most people do, most who try lack the...quality, of dwarven barbering... I'll join you in a moment."
    ....

    -----

    "I guess the snow is not for everyone... oh well...
    "The forest, you say? I get some of my best inspirations in forests, I tend to dislike dark passageways, however, what with the lack of light and color...
    So which of these paths do you think best of - through the forests or beyond the hills?

    Spoiler
    Show
    this question is generally to everyone near him, not just Naveris,as Frandol asks he also moves his gloved fingers alongside the map, so as to show the onlookers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    once he finishes talking to Naveris, he carries on to Issath to help him examine the map.
    does that call for a check? if so, which - aid another? decipher script? the knowledge (dungeoneering) (which I'll fail again)?, Survival?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-07 at 09:29 AM.
    Prince Zahn - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

    DMing this
    - for a...different, gaming experience.

    I am on and watching these forums even when it appears I'm gone.
    I will protect you, laugh with you and lift you up from despair(and in style!),
    sure as the spirit of Vamber - the most flamboyant halfling who never was - lies within me.

    Many thanks to Ceika for my Vamber Avatar!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC)Yeah, they're going on simultaniously. As for losing track, sorry. We'll try to be a little more careful. (/OOC)


    Thurod looks thoughtful as he crosses his arms over his chest, "A good question. The forest would be easier travel, most likely, but more prone to bandits. Whereas the hill path is harder travel, but we will be less likely to be attacked." He mused, "Still, I like the hills. More unexpected, meaning more benefit to us as far as secrecy goes."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Do we really need secrecy?" says Grad, bored.
    "I mean, the elf said we aren't transporting many magic items, and unless those metal boxes are worth millions, nothing but the average bandit will bother us at worst.
    Let's just get there as fast as we can"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arcanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warlock's Crypt, Orbedal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Stroking his imaginary beard, Issath approaches Thurod stating, "These Maps changed hands... from the feel of it, the last owner was a Dwarf..." As he finishes that statement he approaches the Elf asking her "Do you know who last used these maps? was it a Carrier? If so, was he a Dwarf? Because I have a feeling that someone might have tampered with these maps... For example these two maps are obviously scryed and this underground map is way to detailed to be created by anything, BUT a Dwarf... I don't exactly trust these Scryed maps due to how simple it is to deceive divination's and I'd like to see the cartographer for this underground map if he or she is present. Regardless... I agree with Grad, we should move out quickly before night falls... Before that I'd like to examine the boxes... Don't worry, I won't open them, I just want to see them."

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just throwing this out there, but I want to know if we're doing a black market transportation, because if so we might be dealing with a criminal organization... Paranoia!!!! Just saying that we shouldn't remove the idea that maybe we're being used...
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-07 at 07:25 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Taken aback, her voice takes on the higher pitch of her elven accent, "Just what are you trying to imply? Are the ministers here so corrupt that they'll lie so easily?" Turning to Issath she looks him eyes and says, "Last I checked the baron was assured of your effectiveness by a minister. Did he lie? Are you somehow less than capable to lead a foreign caravan through unfamiliar territory?"
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arcanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warlock's Crypt, Orbedal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "I meant no disrespect, I suppose I am allowing my own paranoia get the best of me I suppose... The Baron is by all means correct (or atleast exaggerating) in our skills, however a majority of being skilled in our profession is being suspicious of who we are transporting for... Regardless, I am simply going to examine the boxes, not the contents. I trust you entirely that the contents are perfectly legal" Said Issath with a smile at Naveris the entire time reassuring her.

    OCC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering if I should roll for sense motive on this chick... xD

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Thurod snorted at Grad, "Regardless of what we're transporting, or where, there are dangers in being unalert, and of being too exposed. We must be careful, and take care with our job."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    With a sigh she shakes her head and says, "I understand your point, I just don't agree if it. In my line of work, if you aren't willing to trust a complete stranger with what is presented, then you won't get very far."

    "As for who gave me these maps. They were delivered through a courier, a gnomish one I think. The other two were commissioned, so they arrived when they were finished. I expect that they were looked over by the baron, or this city's minister at least," Naveris continued, tapping her foot for a moment as she paused, "And yes those maps were created through scrying. Most cities I've come across use that tactic to look over the areas they couldn't explore normally. And if the area is draped in darkness, then a Dark-scryer is needed. From what I understand dwarves aren't the only ones that can do it, sure they're one of the best, but so long as you don't need light to see then you're a dark-scryer."

    Motioning towards the door she says to Issath, "There are six boxes in total, all of them about two feet long by three wide. Beyond that, they have a seal imprinted on the top. Gravious will show you where they are, he should be out tending to the horses."

    Pulling out the other map that detailed the spotted terrain, she addressed the discussion about the forest, "This map is supposed to show the area of forest between the city and the ridge. As you can see, most of the scrying attempts failed, which is why I detailed the route around the forest. The minister was concerned by this failure so he advised me to stay away if I could. When I asked why, he told me that he wanted to send in the guard to check it out first."
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US (Central Time)

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Elestil speaks up, "So it sounds to me like there could be some danger to traveling through the forest, as something or someone is blocking scrying. It's also possible that someone knows we would scry out a path, and is specifically trying to divert supplies into the tunnels. I think I'd err on the simpler explanation and try the tunnels."
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    But the one thing he hated more than speaking up in a group? Being killed by giants on the high seas.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Prince Zahn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    roughly 36 feet from you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    Frandol sits down on the floor, grunting as he bends his knees.
    "The minister might have it right on this one,in the first sense in the least"
    He clears his throat, and tries to fake-away his dwarven accent, sounding an accent unidentifiable, yet comprehendible to the rest.
    " 'an image lays unseen by man nor elf, for it be mustn't seen by man nor elf'
    as an Acquaintance of mine would say."

    Spoiler
    Show
    "not man nor elf" is a mildly derogatory elven saying that has developed the meaning "no mortal, grand or otherwise".
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-10-08 at 03:39 PM.
    Prince Zahn - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

    DMing this
    - for a...different, gaming experience.

    I am on and watching these forums even when it appears I'm gone.
    I will protect you, laugh with you and lift you up from despair(and in style!),
    sure as the spirit of Vamber - the most flamboyant halfling who never was - lies within me.

    Many thanks to Ceika for my Vamber Avatar!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Wait, how long has the minister of the city known about the areas where scrying failed? Did they try psionic scrying? And did they do anything to investigate? Scrying is pretty powerful magic, so if something is stopping it it's got to be a big deal.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arcanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warlock's Crypt, Orbedal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Grad, Scrying of the mind isn't exactly easy... It takes a lot of discipline to do it flawlessly. Regardless even magic can hold back Psionic scrying to some degree... I do agree, however that they should have sent dark-scryers and scouts to examine the route... Seems a little sloppy to me... Ah well... The map is untrustworthy and the carrier is unreliable... The map feels Dwarven yet the deliverer was a Gnome... suspicious..." said Issath as he strokes his imaginary mustache "I'm off to go examine the boxes and see how they feel... I'm sure you all will vote on the correct path to take."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I use my gloves on the boxes when I arrive
    Concentration (1d20+12)[24]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Have we come to a decision yet?" Thurod asked, his gaze keeping an eye on the strange man as he left for the caravan. "I would like to set out as soon as is viable, today, if possible."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show
    "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice." Quoted from Dragon Age: Origins
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf
    Pokémon Data:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Version: Y
    Friend Code: 5300-8703-5984
    Awesome Avatar by the equally awesome Kymme.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    "Psionics?" Naveris asks with a confused look, "What is Psy... You wouldn't happen to be talking about the mind-benders would you?"

    Raising an eyebrow at Frandol, she returns to addressing Grad, "I commissioned the scryings about a week ago, when I volunteered to take the commission. I received the map of the tunnels first, with the map of the forests coming later. The minister seemed agitated when I spoke with him yesterday after receiving it. So he probably received it a day before I did. I'm sure he'll send some of the guard to investigate when he can get them free from their current orders," Taking a breath she leans against the table and continues, "He probably sent an advanced scout the moment he could, which is why I sent for the captain of the guard. He'll have the most information about the forest."

    As Issath is leaving the tent she shook her head and commented when he left, and thus out of earshot, "What a strange man, how is an object's feel anything important? He's probably a mind-bender, who knows how they think."
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town


  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arcanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Warlock's Crypt, Orbedal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

    After wandering around the camp for a while Issath realizes he neglected to ask where the boxes actually were. He approaches Gravious for directions "Excuse me, do you know where the Cargo boxes the adventurers are to be transporting? I have to perform a small inspection on them before we finish preparations for our deployment." said Issath with a smile on his face which slowly turns into a frown OH! I almost forgot... Let's shake hands... he added before returning to his normal smiling face.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •