New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Ten Years Too Long

Ten Years Too Long

In the free city of Zobeck you've all been convened in the back room of The Sharpest Knife, a high-end shop widely known for it's prized blades. Tobias Boon, a grizzled middle-aged man sits behind a wide oaken desk. From the look of him he hasn't slept in days. "I'll get right down to business, several days ago one of my wagons coming in from Morgau was beset by Dwarven Raiders from the Ironcrags." Exhaling slowly he takes a long drink from his goblet before he continues "Everyone knows what that means...ten years under the mountain. Ten years of backbreaking labor and scant food...he'll be lucky to make it five..."

Polishing off what's left in his goblet he reaches under his desk, revealing a bottle of dark wine. Skipping the goblet entirely he pops the cork and begins drinking right from the bottle. Wiping his mouth on the end of his sleeve he looks back to the lot of you and says "I've paid a lot of money for this information but I've learned that he's been sent to Roglett to work on all the new development they have going on up there. I don't care how it's done, I just want my son back."

Standing up he wobbles for a bit, knocking over his empty goblet before catching himself on the edge of his desk. Staggering towards the small chest at the bottom of his bookshelf. Lifting it with both hands he places it on his desk and returns to his seat. "I'll give you this right now to get you started and the same amount to all of you when you return with my son." he pauses to enunciate the last word clearly "Alive."

In the chest is 10,000 gold pieces.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ten Years Too Long

Tegrin eyes the gold in the chest closely, The hand he had resting on the hilt of his axe tightened slowly, "Don't worry Tobias, we'll get your son back, you look like you need a good days sleep though, you should hit the hay, not the bottle."
    Call me Crazy

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

The elf quietly nods. "Worry not we will return your son." She looks to the others and asks, "Do we hunt them or do we set a trap?"

4. - Top - End - #4

Tegrin smirks "We should hunt them down, who knows how long a trap would take. I want my axe to taste their blood quickly."
    Call me Crazy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Tobias rubs his temples and says "It does not matter to me how you go about this problem. As long as the end is the same."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Brandor leaned against the wall, arms folded loosely over his chest as he listened to the man speak of his sons capture. You could almost taste the hatred when he spoke the words 'dwarven raiders' - how it must irk Boon to find not one but two dwarves answer his call for aid. However, Brandor did have to respect the man's ability to look past his kin's trangressions and focus on the business of saving his son.

The monk had been travelling for some time, arriving in Zorbeck only a week ago. He had heard rumors about a land where the women were the best archers in the world - a perfect test for his own skills as journeyed on the road to perfection with his bow. But while glancing at the boards in one of the square's, Brandor had noticed the posting for this particular task. Something in the way it was written had touched the normally stoic dwarf. An orphan himself, he had long ago made peace with the lose of his family; he did not, however, wish it upon others. He had often heard it said that a parent should never live to see his or her children pass before them, so for some strange reason here he was.

Glancing at the others, he still wondered at this groups ability to work well together, having only met them yesterday. The dwarf seemed eager to spill blood, probably seeking glory and fame all the while - a priest of some sort. The drow seemed to approach this with a little more planning. If someone had told him he would be sitting across from a dwarf and NOT putting an arrow through her chest, he would would have thought them mad. Having met her, he had found out that she was a half-breed, and not like the rest of her ilk. Time would tell if he had to put her down. The others hadn't spoken yet, so he was uncertain of their perspective.

His own? Well, he was still working on it. Roglett would be one of the dwarven cantons, but a smaller one - not one of the well-known ones. Better for them, since any issues would not invoke political backlash. He still had a few questions - ones he expected others would would ask, or Boon would offer. But since the room had fallen silent except for Boon's drinking, he decided he would speak.

"How will we know him?"
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Aasgaard looked at the chest with a gleam in his eyes. "I agree, How we gonna know 'em," he said with a snarl. His weight resting on his large maul. "Birth mark or somethin'?"
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Astrid wasn't concerned with the Dwarf, she had more pressing issues to attend to, for all they knew the son was already dead. Sighing deeply she moves from against the wall, a solitary shadow separating from its larger whole, looking at the concerned parent for a moment. Studying the man's worry lines and tired eyes she can smell the desperation on the dwarf, true she has never been a parent but she could sympathise nonetheless. Ignoring the remark about concerning a trap "You say that these raiders always use captured beings as slaves? Is this knowledge infalible or merely an assumption? We don't need to be venturing into hostile territory only to come across a corpse. As much as I feel for you situation sir, I wish only to better understand the situation and utilize my own talents. You hired out one of my bretheren and I am tasked with investigating his disappearence, I want to know your information source so I can determine its validity." She carefully notes the others assembled, obviously hired here by this man, perceiving their strengths and weaknesses determining whether or not they will be of use or only a hinderance in her task. "I care not for your gold, I am here on official orders of the Lord Inquisitor himself. You seem familiar with this Roglett location, I need to know the terrain, routes and any landmarks associated with this place. Any natural advantages we can gleem will expediate the process of locating your son and my associate. What kind of project are they working on, it will determine the types of materials required and may give us a possible disguise. We need to infiltrate this operation, get in and out without stirring up too much trouble. I can't speak for these other indivduals you've assembled here this evening but I do not care for fighting off or being chased by a large group of raiders. Hunting out and killing them is a waste of resources and puts the slaves in a hostage situation at best and meatshields at worst. Trapping is a much sillier suggestion for we don't know the specific band that raided the caravan and it would be most unwise for the same one to hit the same location again so soon. That would only increase the chances of being caught, a lesson veteran raiders would have learned already." Having asked her questions Astrid looked once more at the dwarf allowing her eyes to meet his for a moment then returned to her original position against the wall.
    Blarg...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The minotaur looks at Astrid, nodding along, then looking thoroughly confused by the end of her question.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

The half-elf listens to Astrid's callous words. She understood what the inquisitor meant but her words were unnecessarily direct to Tobias. Instead of waiting for his reaction she interjects, "In the past I've found that thieves and brigands form patterns and like the familiar. If we show them a tempting target they will come, but if some here is a sure tracker it may be more direct and quicker to find them. But if the master inquisitor objects then please give us another option. If you don't want to find and don't want them to come to you, how do you supposed to stop the raiders and find the son? "

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Walking over to a closet he pulls out a canvas wrapped in brown paper. Taking a letter opener from his desk he cuts several twine knots that secure the paper to the canvas, letting it fall away. Leaning the frame against the wall it appears to be Tobias and another much younger man that bears a striking resemblance. While he looks almost exactly like Tobias his hair is a striking red, a stark contrast to Tobias' fading gray.

After cutting away the last of the paper and twine Tobias lets the letter opener clatter to the ground, staggering backwards till he hits his desk he reaches blindly behind, hand searching until he grasps the neck of the bottle and takes a long swig. "This is Bernard....this is my son..."

12. - Top - End - #12

Tegrin listens as astrid speak, his frown deepening as she did, "Look here, Inquisitor, I get your want for the most effective route an all, but aside from the fact that the man is out of his mind with worry and wine, I'd doubt that he would know all that much anyways. The man is just a shop owner, not one of the bloody raiders. So if you want to find information go talk to a lawman, and don't go tellin' are employer that the son we are going to get live is dead."

Tegrin takes a deep breath, before exhaling into a sign and turning away, "And, yes, in my experience, Raiders aren't the smartest of crooks, but they likely won't be returnin' to the same spot, but if we can find out where they recently struck they might've left some clues."
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2013-01-21 at 12:25 PM.
    Call me Crazy

13. - Top - End - #13

Astrid gives a very direct and cutting stare towards the half elf "The entire plan is a shot in the dark, we lack specific regarding the captors for one, so in order to even bother investigating their habits or desire we would need to know who they are first. That takes time, a lot of time especially if there is no ransom note. Secondly we would need to plan said trap, lay out thorough contengencies in case something goes awry, we would need to gather resources for said trap and unless your willing to front the needed funds to supply the bait then it is moot. If your hypothetical trap makes it past that point you need to set up a false caravan through the proper channels to make it look like a legitamite trip and I doubt you have the contacts to make this happen. Lastly we would have to take the time and drive a caravan through territory that is plague with creatures much worse than raiders to spring said trap for raiders that may or may not take the bait. We cannot use this man's resources that is far too suspicious so don't bother suggestiong it." Standing up again she walks over to the half blood "This is what we do know: the name and physical description of the son, and the current location said target is being held. That is all, we know nothing of who apprehended him and it may not be of concern to us, for all we know the raiders could have sold him thus making it a moot point to track them. I am a tracker, that is my job, our objective is search and rescue, not stopping raiders. Being concerned about future victims can wait once the primary objective has been completed and will be more viable after I report my findings with my order. Now how to approach the situation, as I suggested: learn more about the location the victim has been moved to, find suitable routes and infiltrate the location. We will learn much more efficiently by going directly to this place instead of messing about with a trap that may or may not succeed."

Astrid turns and addresses the other person, obviously not impressed with her methods of conduct "Forgive my somewhat insentive nature but I do believe the best course of action to allieviate this gentleman's grief is to find his son as quickly as possible. Hence why I asked about his informant and if he has any other pieces of knowledge that would aid in the search. If you wish to sugar coat the entire ordeal feel free to do so but a direct approach is needed for a situation of this severity."
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2013-01-21 at 12:40 PM.
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Well, e's drunk. I can track 'em, iffin' we're lookin' to," the bull-headed brute says as he shifts in his grey armor. "'Course if not, I like the wordy one, let's get to it. That is what you said, innit?"
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2013-01-21 at 12:34 PM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

15. - Top - End - #15

Tegrin smiles "If you be really wantin' for a trap, or a caravan, I'll use my share of the payment to set one up"
    Call me Crazy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Brandor coughed once, drawing the attention of all the sober people in the room, and walked over to the wall where the picture leaned and crouched to look it over. He stared at it for a long moment, then turned to the father. "Can we take this?"

After the man answers, the monk stood. For dwarves, he may have seemed an oddity - the bald head was not uncommon, but the shorter, trimmed beard was more of a rarity. He wore no armor, but wore a quiver on his back ... with no bow. At his sides, he carried a curved blade and a well-made hammer, with a red guantlet holding a double-bladed hammer carved on the side. His eyes, deep and blue, turned to take the others in, as they stopped their discussion for a moment, wondering what he was about.

He spoke finally. "These aren't bandits, they're reavers. No ransom, because they think their owed the time. The cantons won't force them to release the son - no more than the Elf Queen would make her people cut down the forest. This is business to them. The gold's not a reward for us.

It's to buy the boy back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully I'm reading the situation right; either way, that's Brandor's perception

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

The half-drow smirked and wondered if Astrid actually knew what she said. "So track it is."

Looking at Brandor, "Negotiate a ransom? Well I hope it works, although I hear that they may be too stubborn to accept gold."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Brandor coughed once, drawing the attention of all the sober people in the room, and walked over to the wall where the picture leaned and crouched to look it over. He stared at it for a long moment, then turned to the father. "Can we take this?"

After the man answers, the monk stood. For dwarves, he may have seemed an oddity - the bald head was not uncommon, but the shorter, trimmed beard was more of a rarity. He wore no armor, but wore a quiver on his back ... with no bow. At his sides, he carried a curved blade and a well-made hammer, with a red guantlet holding a double-bladed hammer carved on the side. His eyes, deep and blue, turned to take the others in, as they stopped their discussion for a moment, wondering what he was about.

He spoke finally. "These aren't bandits, they're reavers. No ransom, because they think their owed the time. The cantons won't force them to release the son - no more than the Elf Queen would make her people cut down the forest. This is business to them. The gold's not a reward for us.

It's to buy the boy back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully I'm reading the situation right; either way, that's Brandor's perception
    He can't bear to look upon it so yes, you are able to keep the painting.

I'm sorry but you are indeed misreading the situation, the dwarves do not ransom anyone but dwarves until at least ten years have passed, otherwise he wouldn't have needed to go outside the proper circles needed to retrive his son. The gold is yours to do with what you will, use it to outfit yourself, for bribes, or what have you. As long as the end result is the same he doesn't care what's it's used for.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Looks like payment to me, an' there's no one too stubborn to pass up their life for another's, if their starin' at death," the monstrous man says lifting his heavy hammer up from the floor.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

20. - Top - End - #20

Crossing her arms, Astrid looks at the rather pathetic man "Tobias you still have yet to answer my question regarding your information source, it would be a major boon to us if we could speak with this person before we left the city. It very well may shave off days of searching."
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2013-01-22 at 09:22 AM.
    Blarg...

21. - Top - End - #21

Tegrin taps his foot while he waits for the talking to slow down abit, finally once he can wait no longer "Instead of us tracking them down, way not let them come to us? We can take my share, but up a wagon, a few sheets, and start going along routes hiding the others under sheets in the back,while me and the other dwarf sit up front, making us juicy bait?
    Call me Crazy

22. - Top - End - #22

Astrid looks at man increduously "By all means go and waste several weeks of time standing in the middle of nowhere waiting for someone who may never come. Not to mention someone completely different from the people who took this man. For Lada's sake it's not like these raiders have a union! If by some odd twist in fate you find the proper people you STILL have to travel to the plave WE have been already told to go to thus wasting time and gaining almost nothing in the bargain. You want to travel miles upon miles across the land in the opposite direct of where this fellow was taken and wait. It is beyond stupidity and borderline maddness when all we have to do is travel to the designated location that was given to us by a source. Capturing dwarven raiders is NOT our mission and we gain nothing by doing it since they don't keep slaves with them. Now pull your collective heads out of your rears or keep quiet." Obviously distressed, Astrid steals the man's wine bottle and takes a swig of it herself.
    Blarg...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

In a calm and meaningful voice the young woman says "We can do both. We can use one or more of the merchant's wagons to get there. If we are lucky the raiders will come. If not we will be there to investigate. Even if we are attacked by raiders that are not the ones we are looking for they might have usable information... or at the very least we will rid this world of more raiders."

24. - Top - End - #24

Astrid pinches the bridge of her nose, obviously beginning to develop a headache "So, you half bloods aren't taught basic geography I see. The area the caravan was attacked is east of the city past the Old Margreve Forest hundreds of miles away, the place where Tobias here is suggesting we look is several hundreds of miles west of the city in the Ironcrag mountains. There is little to no point going all the way out there to investigate a scene that has been no doubt brushed away by nature or scavengers only to have to back track to go to the place we were original told to go. Why I am given missions where I have to deal with amateurs?"
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2013-01-22 at 12:03 PM.
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Brandor turned back to the painting while tempers flared, pulling the canvas out and rolling it up. Turning back to the father, he leaned close. "The human speaks true. Tell us your contact, that we might question them."

As the half-elf spoke, Brandor glanced back at her, his expression unreadable. These low-landers did not understand the way of reavers, or their place within the society of dwarves. However, explaining it would take years, perhaps longer. Better to try and teach a worg to write ...

Returning to his previous spot, Brandor leaned against the wall. "Roglett's where we should start."
    Last edited by Starbin; 2013-01-22 at 11:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

"if you already know where to go, so be it, we'll go your way.
    Call me Crazy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Eh, they migh' not know which way is what, go easy on 'em. Way I see it is, they have a lead on us, and time is wastin' whilst you try to question 'im when obviously he ain't gonna give up his source to a 'quisitor. So, let's get a move on, once we make it there we can get some more questions answered," the minotaur stands tall and raises his voice to settle the unrest forming around him.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    Crossing her arms, Astrid looks at the rather pathetic man "Tobias you still have yet to answer my question regarding your information source, it would be a major boon to us if we could speak with this person before we left the city. It very well may shave off days of searching."
    "It was an information broker that lives in the slums, Blackjack Pete. He's a pretty straight shooter, tell him I sent you and I'm fairly certain he'll provide you with all the information he did me. Be on your guard though, that part of town isn't exactly safe for people that look of money."

"The day is starting to wear me thin, is there anything else you'd like to ask me before I retire?"

29. - Top - End - #29

Astrid turns her head and addresses Tobias with a sympathetic look "Thank you and no I have no further questions. Please get some rest and go easy on the wine, rest assured we will do all we can to locate and return your son and if a thief wants to steal from an inquisitor... let them try it would be amusing at the very least."
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Brandor inclinded his head towards the man, then departed with the rest, rolled portrait in hand. He figured someone else would bring the gold, even if he wasn't particularly concerned with it. Once out in the main shop, he waited for the others, ready to either continue their planning or regroup at an alternative location.